PDA

View Full Version : Home town

paragon
09-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Has anyone ever run across a CM from your home town while visiting?
The CM's have their hometown on their name badges, I'm always looking. In my 20plus trips, the closest I came was someone from the next town over.
I'll be looking next week. For CM's from Wilmington Ma, and Nashua NH.

thumperbug
09-24-2008, 04:41 PM
I always look at the tags. For the most part any folks from area just say "Long Island" on the tag rather thent he actual town. It gives a reason to strike a conversation.

WDWFanatic
09-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Not a cast member but we did meet some younger adults in line for :marg: in the outdoor bar in Epcot's Mexico.

Funny story though, We were eating at the Olive Garden in Orlando and our waitress said something like "Can I get you guys anything else?" We joked that she sounded like she was from up north and she said "Boston" and come to find out she's from our tiny town (right next to Nashua) in Mass AND she is the step daughter of our next door neighbor!

On a side note why does everyone from Mass say Boston instead of Massachusetts???

I hope you find someone local on your trip.

paragon
09-24-2008, 05:56 PM
I've noticed that too- that everyone says Boston. My parents live in Micco Fl, and my dad is always approached due to his constantly on Red Sox cap, but people always ask "are you from Boston?" or " I thought that was a Boston accent". Maybe because its just a more recognizable city name rather than the little town names. When people ask ME where I'm from, I always say "I'm from Massachusetts, but I live in Nashua."

goofgal
09-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Once the Mad Hatter noticed a t-shirt I was reading and then went off on the "merits" of a town about 15 miles from mine. Had me in stitches since this particular town is a bedroom community with not a lot to do.

BMan62
09-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Actually, this is perfect timing -- we were just at Spirit of Aloha and our CM waitress had a York, PA nametag. I made a big deal, being funny, about some kind of set up. As we talked, it turned out that she grew up one street over from where I lived. Being that I am more than 25 years older than she is, I would never have known her growing up, but it was fun to find someone from so close.

*Liz*
09-24-2008, 09:16 PM
I was working one night with a new CM and I saw her name tag had the same hometown as mine, which is rare considering I live in a small suburb of NYC. Turned out she'd lived on the block next to mine for 20 years! Small world! ;)

Simba's Mom
09-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Yes, and it really surprised me because we lived in a town of less than 4,000 people. My first question to him was "are you REALLY from Paxton?", which was a dumb question since why would anyone say they're from that little town if they're not.
Living in Harlingen, I met a CM who used to live in Harlingen growing up, but not now. I was talking with her about the December weather in WDW, telling her how it's cooler there than back home. I don't know which one of us was more surprised-me to meet a CM who used to live in Harlingen, or her to meet someone from the town where she grew up. Turns out I even knew some of her family members.
I also met a CM who even lived in my house when I was at DL-that's because it was DS, who used to be a CM there.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-25-2008, 12:11 AM
since why would anyone say they're from that little town if they're not.

....You'd be surprised at what we put on our name tags.
I've seen:

Jack from Tortuga, Haiti
Mos Epsley,
Corsucant
Tatoonie
Hogsmede
Rivendell

DrivingSideways
09-25-2008, 03:01 AM
Jack from Tortuga, Haiti
Mos Epsley,
Corsucant
Tatoonie
Hogsmede
Rivendell

LOVE IT!

handmaidenofprincesses
09-25-2008, 08:17 AM
We met a CM in the Art of Disney store last year that not only was from our town, he and my uncle had sat together in classes all through highschool!

WDWFanatic
09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I also met a CM who even lived in my house when I was at DL-that's because it was DS, who used to be a CM there.

:rotfl::funny:

tinksmom02
09-25-2008, 11:48 AM
We didn't meet anyone from our hometown, but LOTS of CM's from our area of NJ. I owuld have to say we saw at least one in each park.

joanna71985
09-25-2008, 06:52 PM
I sure have! I even worked with someone who was from my school.

Minnie Imagineer
09-25-2008, 07:46 PM
I personaly haven't, but when my best friend went, a waitress at CRT was from our town and she happened to be from my other friend's neighborhood!

arsenal3
09-25-2008, 08:08 PM
When we went to WDW in June for 9 days, I was looking for someone from my town the whole time. I didn't see anyone from my town of Sylvania Ohio. Then on the second to last night we were in line for Honey I shrunk the Audience, and the CM there was from Toledo Ohio (Sylvania and Toledo are praticlly the same town). THen when we got out of the show the first people we saw were from Anthony Wayne, witch is about two min. west of were we live. Then that night while eating at the ESPN club we saw a table with two kids wering Perrysburg sweat shirts, Perrysburg is about 5 min. south. On our last day my gf and I walked into DHS and we won an instant fast pass to any one ride we wanted and the CM that took us to our ride was from Sylvania, her family lives right down the rode ,in a neighborhood, from my house. I could literally walk to her house right now, creepy I no lol.
Then we are getting on the Aerosmith Rollar Coaster (this is the ride we picked) and the CM that takes us to our seat is also from Sylvania.

It was weird, haha.

Renfairwedding
09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
The CM was selling DVC in Tomorrow land. Turns out (with many years in between) they attended the same school and had one teacher in common. He had her the year she was to retire. My Wife had her the year she started. It was like old home week. Lots of stories of how things had changed and not changed....

I give the CM credit. He was able to smoothly transition right back into the DVC sales pitch.

kemps@wdw
09-27-2008, 11:43 PM
The closest we ever came was the son of a family friend, that we saw @ Epcot managing the Mousegear store, and a CM @ the WL desk that was from the same town I work in. We also had 2 school friends (back in the 80s) that married, moved to Orlando and worked @ WDW in transportation for awhile.

pixiesmimi
09-28-2008, 10:05 PM
We haven't met up with a CM from here, yet, but the girl next door was just hired down there as a character, I think, and we hope to see her next time we go down. I may have misunderstood and she may be a CM but I was told "character". Also, one of the young men from our church was hired as an illustrator for the next two years interning and hopes to get on permanently with them. We hope to see him down there also and maybe get some inside "tours".

We have run into friends down there though that we didn't know were there. It is always so funny to us that we would see them out of all the thousands of people there.

Jul
09-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Just got back yesterday afternoon from a wonderful week long trip. Saw a CM on BTMRR who was from where I live. See a lot of CMs from the state I live in, but this was the first one I have seen that was from the town I live in!

CaptSmee
09-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Not from the town we're in, but we see lots from the immediate area (Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, ect...)

mouseketeer mom
09-29-2008, 06:57 AM
I see a ton of CM's from New Jersey and New York. We always chat them up, they are not hard to find!!

kakn7294
09-29-2008, 07:55 AM
There are plenty of folks from Pittsburgh at WDW but we on 2 separate occasions we've run into CM's who lived less than 4 miles each from where we live. The first one was 12 yrs ago at the American Adventure. The last one was just this past August - she helped DH get his raingear on at the Backlot when he got picked to be in the show.

crmark1
09-29-2008, 08:45 AM
On one of my trips to WDW back in 1987 we went into the American Pavilion at Epcot. When the singers came out into the hall while wait on the show I noticed that I knew one of them. It was a friend from high school. We even played on a church basketball team together!