PDA

View Full Version : What should we do?

paragon
09-24-2008, 11:30 AM
We leave in three days! We arrive in Orando at 9am, we've got a rental car and are staying at POP. Magic Kingdom is open til midnite that day, we can't check in until 3, and as past history proves we probably won't even be allowed in our room until 5. So, I'll ask...
What should we do on our first day? We already plan o going to MK, we want to be there until midnite. But what else should we do in the early part of the day?

SBETigg
09-24-2008, 11:33 AM
You could tour resorts or try mini-golf. We usually head straight for parks, but you could park at the TTC and ride the monorail to Epcot and back just to get in the mood.

Rhetoric2000
09-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I would suggest a day at Downtown Disney - there's plenty enough there to do in that time, especially if you're shoppers and eaters. If not there's the cinema there.

It's also quite good at getting you really worked up for doing the parks, with Once Upon a Toy and World of Disney etc.

I'd suggest queueing for a sandwich at the Earl of Sandwich too, but these days I'm not sure 5 hours would be enough time.

tinksmom02
09-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* you can check into Pop whenever you arrive. If your room is ready, great. If not (and you purchased a package), they'll give you you KTTW cards and you can leave your luggage with Bell Services and hit a park right away.

Not sure if you wanted to be at MK for that long, but the option should be there.

I agree with other people, explore your resort and head to DTD for a bit.

goofiecrazy
09-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Go swimming ,pack ur suits in ur carry on and hang by the pool.

Marker
09-24-2008, 12:20 PM
You can't check in until 3? And won't get in your room until 5? Hmmm.

In many past visits we've checked in the moment we arrived, often well before noon. We then store our bags with the guest services then head on into the park.

Last week, we arrived about 1:00 or so and they were able to go ahead and give us our room.

We always try to take an early flight, and count that first day as a day in the parks. Sure, we may not get a room right away, but that sure doesn't slow us down any.

bdm@pga
09-24-2008, 12:27 PM
OMG! where do I begin. All of the above sounds great and doable, but what about dropping your bags at the hotel and checking in, then explore the other hotels. use the transportation system or your rental and go to the beach resorts. Tell them you are a registered guest at POP and wan tot explore the other hotels for next time....walk the boardwalk, get a Kitchen Sink sundae.....

mac badger
09-24-2008, 12:36 PM
yes, you can check in anytime, you just may not get your room right away. we usually drive down early and check in by 9 am, then come back in the afternoon and get our room. but occaisionally our room has been ready that early

TheRustyScupper
09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
How about . . .
. . . drive to POP
. . . check-in
. . . get admission tickets
. . . have a leisurely breakfast at food court
. . . swim in the POP pool
. . . take an afternoon nap in room (if room is ready)
. . . take an afternoon nap at pool (if room is not ready)
. . . go to MK in afternoon
. . . stay at MK until midnight
. . . go back to resort and collapse

PittFan
09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
We've arrived first thing in the morning and checked in to get our KTTW, and just left our luggage in the car. We were given a number to call later in the day to find out when our room was ready. We hopped on the bus to whichever park we planned on for that day and started our vacation. Just stop by the car when you return to the resort to retrieve your luggage. :mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
09-24-2008, 01:29 PM
You can't check in until 3? And won't get in your room until 5? Hmmm.

In many past visits we've checked in the moment we arrived, often well before noon. We then store our bags with the guest services then head on into the park.

Last week, we arrived about 1:00 or so and they were able to go ahead and give us our room.

We always try to take an early flight, and count that first day as a day in the parks. Sure, we may not get a room right away, but that sure doesn't slow us down any.

I swear Marker you are like a male me;) Only we leave our bags in the car. We checked in early at the Hilton last 9/14 and our room was ready early too:thumbsup: It usually is no matter where we stay. I think maybe once or twice it wasn't.

Nascfan
09-24-2008, 01:37 PM
As a couple others have mentioned, you can "check in" immediately upon arrival. The only thing that you may not be able to do is get into your room, but you can certainly have your park tickets, on your Key to the World card if you want, immediately available on that first day.

If you want to be at MK later, staying until midnight, and don't want to spend all that time in one park, I suggest starting at Epcot if you have the Hopper option. You can ride the monorail to MK later if you choose. Or Downtown Disney early, have lunch there, then go to MK, before or after unpacking.

paragon
09-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks. I completely forgot about checking in and getting that phone number to call to see if the room was ready, we did that a few years ago. OMG-I'm getting too old too fast.
In the past we have been at the All Stars and every time our room wasn't ready until past 530pm.
We will have the rented car so we'll probably just leave our stuff in the car. DW has a fear of eaving the bags at the hotel desk ( she's had several bad experiences with that-Not a Disney though ).
We do have hopper tickets, as well a a few one day non hoppers that a friend was kind enough to give us at no cost! Imagine that.
DTD sounds good, but I have a fear of overstuffed bags full of souvenirs ( always happens ).
Appreciate the ideas!

disneylovinmom
09-24-2008, 02:14 PM
We too arrived at 9:00 a.m. on our last visit and checked in to our resort (OKW) at about 10:00 a.m. Our room wasn't ready, but they gave us our resort cards and a phone number to call later to see what room we were in and if it was ready. We checked our carry on bags with bell services and headed to Hollywood Studios. Our room was ready at around 3 and our bags were all in there waiting for us. There are lots of places to go while you wait. Someone else mentioned DTD and I agree. They have some great shopping and amazing restaurants. Have a great time on your trip!!!:mickey: P.S.We used DME, so we didn't have to get our large suitcases. Since you are driving, you can either leave your bags in your car or check them with bell services.

BMan62
09-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Last Tuesday we arrived at Pop shortly after 9am, checked in, left our carry-ons in the room and went to DHS. We were in park before 10am.

tiggersgirl
09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
We leave in three days! We arrive in Orando at 9am, we've got a rental car and are staying at POP. Magic Kingdom is open til midnite that day, we can't check in until 3, and as past history proves we probably won't even be allowed in our room until 5. So, I'll ask...
What should we do on our first day? We already plan o going to MK, we want to be there until midnite. But what else should we do in the early part of the day?

That is funny! I leave on Saturday too and Arrive at noon in Orlando and I'm staying at POP! We usually just poke around a resort we havent' been to, hit Downtown Disney and relax so we can be up and at 'em early the next morning.

Maybe we will see you!!!

Tinkerbella16
09-25-2008, 12:41 PM
You can check-in right when you get there (the earlier you check-in, the earlier you will have a room), and since the room probably won't be ready, you should head over to DTD and relax for a while. Then when your room is ready, go back to the hotel, unpack and maybe freshen up for an evening at MK...since you will be at MK till midnight, and traveling all morning, you should be rested.

Insanity Clause
09-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I would suggest what a couple already have. Go to DTD, have some lunch, do a little shopping. If you have kids or even if you don't you can get the autograph books for the characters and a couple of t shirts to wear in the park...not that you need them but they are fun!