PDA

View Full Version : Caribean Beach or Port Orleans Riverside

cnoble1967
09-24-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm new to the site and I'm in the process of planning our next trip to Dinsey. The last time we were there we stayed at All Star Movies and my husband wants to stay at one of the moderate hotels this time. My kids will be 12 and 21 when we go. We've narrowed the search down to Caribean Beach or Port Orleans Riverside. I've heard good and bad about both and now I'm terribly confused.

I've heard the busses are a mess at Riverside and that Caribean can be dirty and the housekeeping isn't up to par.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

felix18
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
We have stayed at both and really like them, maybe like CBR a little better. Never found the bus to be dirty and had good mousekeeping at both places. Have stayed at Riverside and at Allegator Bayou, like AB the best. Twice at CBR, great stay both times. I have read the complaints about the cleaning but we did not have a problem-this trip we will be at POFQ. Good luck and have fun making your plans:mickey:

felix18
09-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Oh yes--Welcome to Intercot-great place to get the info you need. If you have not thought of it you might want to contact Magical Journeys for help with your plans, they are a great help in getting the resort you want.

BigRedDad
09-24-2008, 09:15 AM
You need to decide which theme you would prefer. Personally, I think if there is a Mousekeeping issue, it is resolved with a phone call or a walk up to the front desk. I would also take what some people say with a grain of salt. I have read what people have commented on and I would doubt some of it occurs. The horror stories that I think may be valid are when people check in to a room and it had not been cleaned yet. This is more of a communication issue that bad Mousekeeping.

My recommendation is to decide which theme appeals to you most. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. They also have their good and bad reviews.

3AMommy
09-24-2008, 09:43 AM
I posted a thread just like this about a week ago and got some great responses. We have decided on POR - AB...here is the link to my thread...maybe it will help you decide!:D

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=142396

3AMommy

Wrigley
09-24-2008, 09:45 AM
We really like CBR-we call it our home resort! It is very colorful and tropical feeling. We love Old Port Royale-the food court. There are tons of choices for everyone. The arcade is alot of fun also as well as the shop. We haven't been since the new pool has opened, but I'm sure it's really nice as well. It's also nice that each section of "islands" has it's own quiet pool. Every time we have stayed, which has been numerous times, the quiet pools were never busy. We just like the overall feel of the resort-very relaxing! We usually request a room in Martinique because it is very close to the main pool, food court, arcade, and store. I hope you have a great trip!!:mickey:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-24-2008, 01:15 PM
These were actually the last two resorts that we stayed at. Really, it comes down to the theming that you want.

CBR is big enough that it has it's own shuttle that I think does 6 or 7 stops within the resort, there is also an internal shuttle that stays on property. POR shares it's bus system with POFQ, and the biggest complaint is that POFQ is the first pick up, so at busy times the bus can be fairly full by the time you get on. We didn't experience any real problems with the buses.

Distances can be further away at CBR. We stayed in Jamacai and that is the building I would choose again as I enjoyed the stroll across the island to the main building. Alligator Bayou is by far my favorite at POR.

POR does have an extra perq in that it has shared ferry service with POFQ that goes to DTD, something that is very convenient. Oh, and with POFQ within walking distance, you can get Begneits.

I loved them both, they are very similar, it's just what are you in the mood for, the Caribbean or a little Southern Comfort.

The good thing is, you can't go wrong either way.

pixiesmimi
09-24-2008, 07:47 PM
We have only stayed at CBR but loved it! Had no complaints on the room or mousekeeping or buses.

KatMark
09-24-2008, 08:28 PM
We have only stayed at the Coronado (it is our home away from home for seven of our last eight stays). We have visited all of the other moderates however and dined at them. I would go with POR--better food court and better themeing in my opinion.

Tinkerbella16
09-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I have stayed at all the moderates except POFQ (staying there in november), and Riverside is by far the best resort I've stayed at in WDW. I was really impressed with everything. Boat transportation to DTD was so nice and relaxing. Grounds are just gorgeous, and mostly shaded so if you have to do some walking, you're not in the hot sun. The foodcourt was great...loved the "Create your own omelette" station, and the mickey waffles with fruit. Never had a problem with the busses at all...some nights the park bus stops got a little crowded, but nothing to frown upon. I really liked relaxing in the lounge in the evening, and watching Piano man Bob...he was truely wonderful. We stayed in the Alligator Bayou section, and just loved the rooms...they were roomy, had a fridge, double sinks, cozy decor. I really love the woodsy southern feeling of POR and would definately stay there again.

I loved it so much, that I booked its sister resort, French Quarter. I just have to see how great this resort will be too. Its a lot smaller than POR so everything is close. I cannot wait to try the beignets...it is all I read about when people ask about POFQ.

ojeilatan
09-24-2008, 08:50 PM
I can't speak for CBR, but I can for POR.

We stayed there last June, and it was FANTASTIC. :eek: We had no problems. Mousekeeping was great, the food in the dining hall was good, we were comfortable, never had an issue with buses, and the theming no less than stunning.
We did have one morning when we waited quite a while for a bus to Magic Kingdom, but later learned this was the case everywhere that day. We never waited more than 10 minutes other than that.
I can put in that when we waited to get picked up from a park, it seemed like a billion CBR buses came through. So their system is working well :D

I think it will come down to theming and proximity of parks. We were very close to DTD, EPCOT, DHS, and failry close to MK. AK was around 20 minutes away. I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) CBR is closer to AK. If there is one park you think you will have more time at, I'd say pick the resort closest.

Enjoy your vacation!:mickey:

QueenDisneyBound
09-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Have stayed at both, and recommend POR over CBR, but again I think the theming and what you are in the mood for, make the difference.

The pros for POR for me are - Alligator Bayou section has beautiful grounds, quiet pools are great, food court impressive, no problems with housekeeping, etc.. I can't think of any cons...

The pros for CBR are - Great new pool...POR can't compare (we were there last week)...quiet pools are nice, grounds very pretty with great opportunity to see some great birds, turtles, etc.. The only con was housekeeping, but that could happen anywhere.

Again, depends on the theme that is most appealing to you..but POR wins my vote.

pixiesmimi
09-25-2008, 10:13 AM
I think it will come down to theming and proximity of parks. We were very close to DTD, EPCOT, DHS, and failry close to MK. AK was around 20 minutes away. I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) CBR is closer to AK. If there is one park you think you will have more time at, I'd say pick the resort closest.

Enjoy your vacation!:mickey:

No, I think CBR is closer to Epcot because we watched the fireworks from the beach there.