SpecJoe Magic
09-24-2008, 01:59 AM
(dinner at all of them)
Tutto Italia
Captain's Grille
Kona
Maya Grill
Chefs de France

Also, any recommendations on what to order at any or all of these places is appreciated.

maxrebo77
09-24-2008, 02:17 AM
On this trip I only ate at a this one on your list. It was great. I have been in the server business for many years, and this is the first place I have been in quite a while that knows how to do it.
Thumbs up all the way:thumbsup:

Katzateer
09-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Kona is our favorite place to eat at WDW. I haven't ever gotten anything I haven't liked.

Some evenings we have gone just for dessert and coffee and iced tea. We all order something different and share. The desserts are worth the trip alone!

Sometimes the service isn't as good as it used to be. The staff was always top-notch for years but some of the newer employees are just there to work and go home-no special magic or service involved.

We haven't gone to any of the other places.

Our second favorite place is California Grill. If you haven't been there-it is worth the $$$.

EpcotFan182
09-24-2008, 07:33 AM
I've had Kona for breakfast and I have to agree with the others when they say it's really good.

I wasn't too impressed with Maya Grill, I thought the food wasn't up to par with the price, but that was 9 years ago so it may have changed.

I thought Chefs de France was really good as well. I went in not expecting much but I was happily surprised. The food and service was excellent.

ljv1975
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
The only place on your list I have been to is Maya Grill this past March.

The food was really good. I had the filet and DH had duck. I had creme brulee for dessert which is my favorite and it was perfect. DH and I both really enjoyed our meal here. The atmosphere is very nice and you can see the chefs cooking through the glass windows to the kitchen.

My only complaint was that service was a bit on the slow side, but all in all it was a great meal. I would recommend it!

mouseketeer mom
09-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Kona is highly recommended. Consistently good food. Shrimp and Scallops, Noodle Bowl, and Strip Steak are all good choices. Try the sticky wings as an app. They are a must do.
Chef's de France. We like the atmosphere better then the food. The food is good, just good.

ryca1dreams
09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
We went to Chefs de France last year during Free Dining Plan. The reservation system was broken, so there was a long wait to get in - I think that was a one time thing. However, the food was good. The server seemed to be more interested in the couple from France than us, but still got our dinner on time - we just had to keep reminding her occasionally. Overall, we would go there again because of the food and atmosphere. Nice place.

jgt
09-24-2008, 10:27 AM
We have eaten at virtually every restaurant in Disney. This year was the first time for Tutto Italia. It is absolutely the best in Disney! The only one that even comes close is Le Cellier and their service isn't nearly as good. Having lunch there during free dining was a huge bonus! Our meal would have easily topped $100. Enjoy!

PlutoPlanet
09-24-2008, 12:13 PM
We eat at Chefs de France every year. We plan to eat there twice next year. The beef tenderloin and potatoes au gratin are very good. I also liked the lamb shank a lot. The wines are very good, especially for the price. We also liked the cheese plate appetizer and the desserts.

Crow
09-24-2008, 12:31 PM
ate at Chefs de France a few wks ago.
very good. I was hesitatant to go back as I have had both good & soso in past yrs
the server was very good, onion soup & short ribs were great. and the wine of course

MickeyMousse
09-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Not sure if they have changed the menu since chaning its name, but we ate at The Galley at YC (now Captains Grille) and the food was very good. I had a wonderful beed with a burgundy sauce and my DH had the halibut. Don't pass on dessert!! I had some chocolate mousse and more concoction and my DH had an outrageous dulce de leche (spelling??) creme brulee. Our DS's almost ate the entire thing out from under him!!:thumbsup:

ElenitaB
09-25-2008, 08:32 PM
I know that I'm in the minority but the last two times I've been to Kona for dinner, I've come away disappointed. Two times ago both components of the shrimp and scallop entree were overcooked and dry. Last time our waitress was pleasant enough (though some of us did have issues with her), but the food was lacking: one doesn't like to see a rare pork chop (as in very pink). When I pointed it out to our waitress she kinda shrugged. I would have preferred that she offer to take it back to the kitchen to get it cooked all the way through.

bertasso59
09-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Just last week we ate at three of these restaurants.
Tutto Italia was nearly as good as its predecessor:Alfredo's in food and service,and Alfredo's was my absolute favorite restaurant for years. The service remains excellent(though the waiters no longer sing) and the food is quite good.My DD's pasta was fresh and my Pork Chop had a very good sauce.We had lunch here,so the portions were just adaquate but perhaps they are more so at dinner.
Maya Grill was our favorite this trip.The service was again excellent-our waiter Casey was very funny and welcoming,a real joy.The food was amazing.I had a flame grilled filet mignon served with a piece of tender fish in a fantastic tasting sauce. My DD and DW also loved their food,in fact my wife was broken up over the fact that she couldnt finish her stuffed trout and it was useless to have it wrapped since we had no microwave in our room at CSR.
Chefs de France was our least favorite dinner.My DW ordered shrimp but couldnt take more than a couple of bites as it was very undercooked and even cold.My steak was small but had a decent peppercorn sauce.My DD made the best choice with pasta in a cheese sauce.We were the last seating,with reservations at 8:50,which may explain the rushed and indifferent service we received.

7swans
09-26-2008, 08:56 AM
We really enjoyed Kona Cafe on our last trip, the Tuna Oscar was fantastic! We also enjoyed the short rib appetizer & the spicy tuna Volcano Roll from the sushi bar.

The service was not particularly good, it took a long time to be seated,they sat a table of seven at a table which would have been more appropriate for 4 or 5,& our drink order was wrong but the food was excellent.

DVC_dad
09-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Chefs de France is one of our family favorites, even the kids loved it. There is no better French Onion Soup on this planet...well maybe somewhere in France but...