PDA

View Full Version : When did they stop... (or Do you remember...)

BWayGrl
09-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Ok. I have some questions for everyone. Obviously, WDW will always be changing, but these are just some little things that I remember. Most of them are recent, and with most of them, I'm just curious if anyone knows WHY Disney stopped it....

1. When did they stop "misting" you at Voyage of the Little Mermaid. I liked the mist. It made you feel like you were going under water!

2. When did they stop using the giant splash on Splash Mountain. Remember it used to get everyone on the bridge wet?

3. When did they stop releasing doves at the end of Beauty and the Beast?

4. On ToT, did anyone ever see the sign before you go into the library? It was like an old message board, and some letters had fallen out. When you looked into the case, the missing letters spelled out "evil tower u r doomed." Anyway, the last time I was there, this was gone. When did that happen?

5. Just curious. Does anyone remember in MGM, the walking tour (Backstage Pass???) that would take you through the soundstages? Do you remember the Bette Midler video that would play? She had a winning lotto ticket, and kept losing it...funny stuff.

Along with that, did that used to be part of the backlot tour? After you were finished the walking part, would you get right on the tram? And also, I was reading that one of the soundstages was a set for Home Improvement, where guests could be green-screened into a scene. But wasn't there also a Home Improvement set at Superstar Television?

Ok I'll let everyone's brains cool down for now. I think I have many more questions, if anyone's willing to help me out.

Jordan

crazeedizneefinatic
09-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Oh no do not tell me they stopped misting at Little Mermaid, that was the highlight of the show. They did it last September when we were there. We are leaving on Friday, hope it's not true!!

Also, I remember last September the large bursts of water on Splash reaching people on the bridge. I believe they don't do it everyday but I remember the last day we were there they did it. Probably a day to day call on that.

sisterdisco
09-23-2008, 06:10 PM
last week of August, 3 different days. We rode Splash Mountain about 12 times. None of those times, was the "big splash" happening. I thought it was a money conserving thing. Weather was super hot, so it wasn't due to that!

SmallWorldBobby
09-24-2008, 01:52 AM
Some of the effects at Mermaid are malfunctioning and need to be fixed/replaced. Several techs in that area of the park and others have been busy lately with getting American Idol ready for launch, so there hasn't been enough time and people to fix Mermaid (beyond crucial repairs, of course). The techs are aware of the mist issue and will fix it ASAP...it's on their list along with several of the pre-show effects in the lobby.

Rhetoric2000
09-24-2008, 06:00 AM
4. This is something that has never been fully "supposed" to be there. Cast Members did it for a joke, carried on doing it, and sometimes still do it.

5. Pretty sure that ended when they changed the Backstage Tour in the mid nineties - certainly has not been there for quite a while now. It took place in the area where you now queue to get on the trams. And yes - as you imply - the tour went SFX-Lottery Film-Trams.

Actually now I think about it, maybe that was the case for a while, and another time they split it into two attractions. Aaaah.

- While we're on this I still DESPERATELY want to know when they stopped the live cowboy shows in Frontierland. I think it was around '91ish but I'm not sure.

DVC_dad
09-24-2008, 09:30 AM
I am also very curious to know about he WATER CANNON on Splash. It has not been on for about 3 years now that we have been going 2 or 3 times per year. Now I have to admit, we don't go during the summer months. We take our kids out of school and go in Nov, again in March and one long weekend in early May.

Is it seasonal? I thought until now that they quit because the bridge gets wet and people fall down and sue or something.

On a more pessimistic note, I assume it simply breaks down a lot and they don't get to it to repair. I mean just think of the maintenence nightmare that has to be WDW. OMG!!!

ryca1dreams
09-24-2008, 09:44 AM
However, in the "TV room" for ToT (at least one of them) there is at least one reference to an old Twilight Zone episode. There are probably more, but little time to look. Go to the desk. It is part of the permanent display. Happy hunting!

mcjaco
09-24-2008, 11:25 AM
I am also very curious to know about he WATER CANNON on Splash. It has not been on for about 3 years now that we have been going 2 or 3 times per year. Now I have to admit, we don't go during the summer months. We take our kids out of school and go in Nov, again in March and one long weekend in early May.

Is it seasonal? I thought until now that they quit because the bridge gets wet and people fall down and sue or something.

On a more pessimistic note, I assume it simply breaks down a lot and they don't get to it to repair. I mean just think of the maintenence nightmare that has to be WDW. OMG!!!

I thought I had read it was working not that long ago. Although, they may turned them off. A wet path is a liability issue. Perhaps turning them off and keeping the bridge dry was a better way to go for safety reasons.

DVC_dad
09-24-2008, 01:26 PM
mcjaco,
It is entirely possible and likely that they work and that I just happened to miss them. That seems likely since we don't go during the summer.

dixielandings
09-25-2008, 09:17 AM
We were there a couple of weekends ago and DH says letters at ToT were back. But we were walking by too quickly for him to see if they spelled anything. Last few times we've been, the letters in the bottom were completely gone so we assume they were back with a purpose. :secret:

BWayGrl
10-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey all. Just thought of something else. When and why did they take down the big hot air balloon at Muppets in DHS? When I was there in August, it was off of the Muppet building, but I saw it behind a construction wall, still blown up, on the Streets of America.

SpecJoe Magic
10-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Hey all. Just thought of something else. When and why did they take down the big hot air balloon at Muppets in DHS? When I was there in August, it was off of the Muppet building, but I saw it behind a construction wall, still blown up, on the Streets of America.

They started refurbishing it in early August, and it was moved back to the top of the Muppet building about a week ago.

While we're on this I still DESPERATELY want to know when they stopped the live cowboy shows in Frontierland. I think it was around '91ish but I'm not sure.

We have the cowboy show on video. I think it was recorded in 1987, so the show was still running at that point. I'm not sure what year it stopped.

Ian
10-02-2008, 09:45 AM
However, in the "TV room" for ToT (at least one of them) there is at least one reference to an old Twilight Zone episode. There are probably more, but little time to look. Go to the desk. It is part of the permanent display. Happy hunting!I know what it is ... I'm a major Twilight Zone geek and noticed it right away the very first time I rode. Very cool ...

As far as the water cannon, as long as I've been going to WDW and Splash was around the water cannon has been on/off sporadically. I suspect they save it for the hottest days and don't use it excessively. I mean if you think about it, for a company who preaches Environmentality, it is kind of a waste of water.

Insanity Clause
10-02-2008, 10:10 AM
They used to have this misting tunnel that empties into this place where they had soda's from around the world. This was in Epcot. I really enjoyed that...not just because you get to taste some pretty cool drinks but that had to have been the coolest place temperture wise in all of Disney. I loved that Misting tunnel, I woul just stand in it alone for about 10 minutes. I have a tendacy to overheat so it was a nice break. Anyone want to guess why we are going in April this time around?

Imagineer1981
10-02-2008, 10:31 AM
They used to have this misting tunnel that empties into this place where they had soda's from around the world. This was in Epcot. I really enjoyed that...not just because you get to taste some pretty cool drinks but that had to have been the coolest place temperture wise in all of Disney. I loved that Misting tunnel, I woul just stand in it alone for about 10 minutes. I have a tendacy to overheat so it was a nice break. Anyone want to guess why we are going in April this time around?

It was Ice Station Cool, which was replaced now with Club Cool. Basically the constant wet floor and just overall mess and dangerous slippery floors called for the change

Disney Doll
10-02-2008, 11:07 AM
3. When did they stop releasing doves at the end of Beauty and the Beast?

I heard the doves were removed when wild birds of prey started showing up right at that point in the show. Poor doves.