PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever.....

Stitchahula
09-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Has anyone here ever hosted a blood drive? My DH and I are hosting one the beginning of Nov. and I'm not really sure what we need to do. I know we need to have people help us hand out snacks and stuff but other than that I'm not sure what to do to make it a success. I'm pretty nervous I want this to go well so when/if we do another one people will want to come back and not say no way that was the worst run blood drive ever. The reason we want to host one is our 5 y/o DS is transfusion dependent so we want to give back and help. The guy my DH spoke to said something about a hot meal? I'm not sure if he meant for the people volunteering or if he meant the donors. That would be alot of food I would think if he meant the donors (at least I'm hoping for a good turn out). So I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done this before and can give me some ideas of what to do to help it be a postive experience for everyone donors and volunteers. thanks

dnickels
09-23-2008, 03:01 PM
You might contact the local Red Cross or Blood Agency or a local church that has held one previously. I'm sure they can give you some pointers. No need to reinvent the wheel when someone else has already done it hundreds of times!

And a big thanks from me for doing that, blood is so easy to give, yet our supplies are always low, so it's really nice of you to help. :thumbsup:

Stitchahula
09-23-2008, 03:32 PM
The guy that suggested the hot meal was from the red cross. They have been very vague about how to go about hosting one. That was why I wanted to know if anyone has ever done one before so we can get a real idea about what goes into one and how to make the most of it. I already know it's going to be a long day the blood drive is going to be from 9-2. It should be interesting though my sister has offered her help and she faints at the sight of blood.

dnickels
09-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Well I've given blood quite a few times and never had a hot meal so at least for that suggestion I'm 99% sure he meant a hot meal for the volunteers.

thrillme
09-23-2008, 07:48 PM
I'd just plan on having a "give away" lottery. Maybe a $25 gift certificate or something. A lot of places will be willing to "donate" these. A little something FREE always brings people in.

d_m_n_n
09-23-2008, 07:48 PM
I have donated before and received a hot meal, but that was on the occasion where it was being sponsored by the local Pork Producers (ok...everybody can get a good laugh here! :blush:...guess what they served...yup, PORK!! ). However, usually I've only received juice and cookies.

mrsgaribaldi
09-24-2008, 04:09 AM
I've given blood alot and never got a hot meal. Usually juice, cookies, things like that. Good luck:thumbsup:

Tinkerfreak
09-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I also want to thank you for doing this. I never realized how important it is to donate blood until a couple of day ago when my DFIL was rushed to the hospital. He needed type O blood and they did not have any. He almost died before they finally located some. He needed surgery and they had to hold off on the surgery until they had enough of his blood type.
I will definately be a regular donar again from now on.

Stitchahula
09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Thank you everyone for your input, and also for donating. I never realized how important it was either until my son was diagnosed with DBA. Tinkfreak I hope your FIL is doing ok now. Thanks again everyone.