PDA

View Full Version : How low is too low? (ROFR)

Tigger&Stitch
09-23-2008, 01:01 AM
We have toyed with buying DVC for a while now, and think we are going to go for it via resale (because we truly truly love the Villas at Wilderness Lodge).

I've seen a lot of talk about ROFR, and how Disney will just buy a contract it deems to be too low. How do I know if my offer is too low? Is there a rule of thumb for each resort/points purchased/points available etc?

DVC Mike
09-23-2008, 07:07 AM
I've seen a lot of talk about ROFR, and how Disney will just buy a contract it deems to be too low. How do I know if my offer is too low? Is there a rule of thumb for each resort/points purchased/points available etc?

Some web sites maintain ROFR databases as their members report if a contract passed ROFR or not. This allows potential buyers to have an idea of the price point at which Disney has been executing ROFR.

I'd post some links, but I don't think that's allowed by INTERCOT rules.

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Over the weekend I read a thread on another DVC owners site that seemed to indicate that Disney has cut way back on the sales they exercise ROFR on.

I would say offer what you are comfortable with and see if the seller accepts it.

DizneyRox
09-24-2008, 05:15 AM
Resales seem to be doing brisk sales, (sold ours in a day) so I wouldn't lump DVC into the same mess that the housing market is in (making it a buyers market).

Just thought I'd throw that in there. If I were a seller, I'd pretty much stick to my price, certainly wouldn't accept extreme lowball offers. Disney is in the market to make money and lowball offers will attract their attention. According to my guide, there are waiting lists for many of the older properties, so if Disney can turn a buck by buying through ROFR and then selling it close to their current per point price, they will.

gwfx1031
09-24-2008, 09:32 AM
We recently bought a resale and we were able to negotiate payment of the remaining annual dues since the use year was coming up. The owner paid for the percentage of the year left and we paid for the smaller remaining amount. The timeshare store was helpful in recommending our offer. They seemed to keep both the seller and buyer's best interests in mind.