PDA

View Full Version : Are there gorillas anywhere in AK

pink
09-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't remember seeing any on the safari, do they have them anywhere else? :mickey:

ljv1975
09-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Yes, there are gorillas at AK. They are on the Pangani Forest Trail next to the Safari. There are quite a few gorillas there. I have some really great pics of the silverback male of the family!!

joelkfla
09-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Unfortunately, lots of guests never get past the Safari at DAK. If you don't explore the animal trails in Africa and Asia, and the habitats surrounding the Tree of Life and in the Oasis, you'll never see the: tigers, giant bats, Komodo dragon, gorillas, meercats, kangaroos, anteater, ...

We have 2 gorilla groups on the Pangani Forest Trail: a family group, and a bachelor group.

3AMommy
09-23-2008, 12:21 AM
We did the Pangani trail last week while we were there and only got to see one gorilla. The boys were a little disappointed.

Disney does such a wonderful job with the landscaping and enclosures that it is a very natural environment for the animals. Unfortunately that also means, that sometimes they are not always visible.

We thought the Trail in Asia, I think it is called the Maharaja (sp?) Jungle Trek was totally awesome!! It is so beautiful and the tigers were right up next to the glass! Gorgeous!

I definitely think the trails are an under rated section of Animal Kingdom. If you miss them, you are missing sooooo much!

Good luck and have a great trip!:D

3AMommy

diz_girl
09-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Yes, we saw them the last time that we were there in Jan/Feb '07. There appeared to be a territorial dispute with the bachelors, which proved interesting to watch.

EmmMOM2
09-23-2008, 10:29 AM
We saw them on the trail PP mentioned.
Their were many of them and we got plenty of pictures.

SBETigg
09-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately, lots of guests never get past the Safari at DAK. If you don't explore the animal trails in Africa and Asia, and the habitats surrounding the Tree of Life and in the Oasis, you'll never see the: tigers, giant bats, Komodo dragon, gorillas, meercats, kangaroos, anteater, ...

We have 2 gorilla groups on the Pangani Forest Trail: a family group, and a bachelor group.

We skipped the Pangani Trail/Maharajah Trek on our first trip, but finally did them on the second. I couldn't believe we had missed them previously. We loved the trails. The gorillas were fascinating.

badkitty
09-23-2008, 03:13 PM
The trails are great! On the Pangani Forest trail you can see the Okapis up close. They are such beautiful animals and you only get a glimpse of them on the safari. On the trail you can watch them for as long as you want. Definitely a "must-see"! :thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
09-23-2008, 03:40 PM
There are so many animals to see on the two trails!! Our older DS enjoys AK so much he normally wants to spend at least two days there (and three days at Epcot -- half day at MGM and maybe a day at MK). He enjoys riding, but I think he really enjoys the hands on exhibits moreso than the rides!

The last time we were at AK (Jan 08) we were nicely "walked" out of the Pangani Forest with three CM's who kept answering all DS's questions and pointing things out to him.....so we really we not "walked" out in my mind, he just got some really awesome attention from the CM's.

Do walk both the trails and also the Oasis as you walk into the park (we go up one side and when we leave we do the other side). Also around the Tree of Life and at several different areas around the park just stop and look around at all there is to take in from different angles -- there is something around every corner and in nooks and crannies too!!

Imagineer1981
09-23-2008, 04:40 PM
I think alot of guests skip the trials because they are just that, a walking trail. Most guests are very hot and uncomfortable at AK and the idea of walking around a trail to see animals probably doesn't appeal to them, especially when they can ride the safari. I personally love the trails. You can get closer to the animals then you can at any zoo, and I have a great zoo in St. Louis

goofgal
09-23-2008, 04:42 PM
If seeing the animals is a priority, I would suggest doing the trails first. Once it gets hot, a lot of the animals crawl under the nearest shade and take a nap (I guess animals are smarter than humans after all!)

Also, with the gorillas, take a look through the glass immediately before you get to their area. A lot of times, you can see the gorillas resting or playing from there easier than from the open areas, and I've even seen them playing/sleeping against the glass.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
09-23-2008, 08:27 PM
The gorillas are my favorite animal at AK. I can watch them all day long. Don't pass them up or you'll miss some great photo opportunities. :photo:

Next trip: 11/24 thru 12/5 at the POP ( 11 year anniversary trip ):thumbsup: