PDA

View Full Version : Steam Train Tours

mikmin1955
09-21-2008, 10:13 AM
:train: I was woundering if anyone has done the Steam Train Tour and if so is it worth it.::santa3: My husband is a train nut and I thought it would be a nice birthday gift for him when we go in Dec.:train:

wilcat
09-21-2008, 11:52 AM
My DH is also a train nut and the last time he went with me I surprised him with the Steam Train Tour. It was well worth the money and time we spent. The engineers are so knowledgable and the other CM's truly go out of their way to explain every question you may have. DH loved it and wants to do it again in the future. I must say however that my fondest memory of that tour was getting into the MK early and being able to get pics of main street and the castle without any people in them.

Disneyfun
09-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Completely unrelated to the steam train tour, but make sure that you take a moment to head over to the WL DVC villas. In the lobby of the DVC villas is one of Walt's personal scaled replica train cars that he had in his yard and would give rides on.

Renfairwedding
09-21-2008, 02:01 PM
I Loved the tour. It was so cool to see the train barn under the monorails. Old tech with new. I recommend highly. :thumbsup:

Maleficent_vf
09-21-2008, 02:36 PM
We took the tour in January as a birthday present for my train-nut DF. Excellent tour, excellent tour guide (WDW Engineer Ed). :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Amy

CaptSmee
09-21-2008, 04:47 PM
We're taking the tour next month...:mickey:

mikmin1955
09-21-2008, 05:09 PM
:train::thanks: That does it, I'm calling tomorrow he will be very excited when I supprise him when we get there.

Thanks again everone

I take the Ferry
09-21-2008, 09:39 PM
If he is a train nut, he will LOVE the tour. I like trains a lot, and the tour made me even more of a fan.

Make sure you take your camera! The only place we couldn't take photos was when we were steaming by the rear entrance of MK... they didn't want us to take photos of the road barrier security system. Everything else is fair game!

Awesome awesome AWESOME tour, he will have a blast!

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

joelkfla
09-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Completely unrelated to the steam train tour, but make sure that you take a moment to head over to the WL DVC villas. In the lobby of the DVC villas is one of Walt's personal scaled replica train cars that he had in his yard and would give rides on.
Another railfan spot is under the Main Street railway station, now the stroller rental. On the walls, there are photos of Walt working on his garden railroad, and of the Disneyland and WDW locomotives. There used to be more when this was a locker location, but nobody seems to know what happened to the ones that were in the western half, which is now the backstage stroller storage area.

wifey5794
09-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I would like to book this as a suprise for my son who is now 10 and has been looking forward to this for years!!! I know he cannot go alone, so if I book for just he and my DH can my DD and I come in early to take some pics? I know they let us all in when it was only my niece doing BB Boutique before the park opened, but we had grandparents with us!

GrmGrninGost
09-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't think they will take you in early if you are not doing the tour. You actually meet outside the park and go in as a group with your guide. It is a wonderful tour and I highly recommend it. We did it as a family last year. Myself, DW, DS (13) and DD (10). We all had a great time! I'm sure we'll do it again in a couple more years! :train:

kurt
09-23-2008, 03:59 PM
i'm not a "train nut" but i took the tour in 2006 and enjoyed it & found it informative & fun. we were taken to the roundhouse to see all the trains. :goofy:

Marilyn Michetti
09-23-2008, 05:07 PM
I surprised my DH with this four years ago, and he loved it. Now, everytime we ride the train, he explains (again), what they're doing.:mickey:

The next year, I gave him the Segway thing, and this year, we're both doing the Behind the Seeds at Epcot.:secret: