PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Earth!!!!!!!

LiloLovesTheKing26
09-20-2008, 11:08 PM
I want it back!! I have been back a week now and i'm still not over it! I miss Jeremy Irons! I miss all the stuff at the end!! I remember thinking I would not like it when it was not walter cronkite version but I grew to love it. Maybe I need more time. But it just seems that they are talking to us like we are 10 year olds and the end with the computer screens it just something to keep us from seeing the emptiness thru the rest of the ride!!! Anyone else feeling the loss still??

DSNYMOM4JJ
09-20-2008, 11:14 PM
My whole family feels the same...SE wasnt as spectacular as it used to be...along with so many other services and places changing around WDW we honestly didnt feel the magic this trip:sad:

chrisb26
09-20-2008, 11:45 PM
I do like some of the changes made the AA is alot better however I agree I like the old narration better. I also think the ending is boring. I mean if you want to show us our future don't make it the Jetsons. I went on a few times and every time I kept saying I feel like I'm watching an episode of the Jetsons not what our future will be like.

CaptainSad
09-20-2008, 11:46 PM
If I could I would want to get off at the top of the accent and find another way down. It is just horrible....

KT1234
09-21-2008, 12:03 AM
aw that really makes me sad to hear. I have yet to go on the new spaceship earth and I'm very anxious about it. Spaceship Earth really was one of my favorite rides. There was something so relaxing and just "deep" about it. I loved the part where you would be at the top of Spaceship Earth and just reflect while looking at the stars and listening to the music. I'm hoping I'll find some way to enjoy this new version :(

kane77
09-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Even if its not as good in your opinion, you would still say do it to see the difference, right? I last did it 2003 as i think it was closed in 2005!

TinkRocks
09-21-2008, 05:27 AM
I do like the upgraded Audio-Animatronics, and rehab'd dioramas (sp?).

As others have said, I really don't like the new narration - I do like Dame Judi Dench, but I don't feel she is the right choice as narrator. I think you need a male voice to add some presence. I also dislike the way the narration is scripted - it seems like it is designed to 'talk down' to us, as though we are all kids. I prefer narration that makes us think and inspires us to learn more about the attraction in general, or a specific aspect or era of the attraction.

The 'descent to Earth' leaves a lot to be desired. My future is not a futuristic cartoon! Why not put a few dioramas that invoke imagination / creativity? Something that shows what communication could be - 50 / 100years down the road...

EpcotNut
09-21-2008, 07:56 AM
It is sad to hear all of the negativity, particularly directed at the descent. I have yet to experience the new SE, but I have to admit, hearing that Jeremy Irons narration was gone and some of the additions being what they are, Im a little skeptical already. As I have always said, people smarter than I am are making the decisions, so there must be some merit to it all - but I have a feeling I will be sad the first time I go on and realize that they have changed what is my all-time favorite.
Like they say - you can't please everyone all the time.

MickeysEars
09-21-2008, 12:11 PM
hmmmm. I know that it is hard to accept change sometimes, but let's consider this. Would it be so unpopular if it was a new attraction. I was just wondering...

Going2HeavenRU
09-21-2008, 02:16 PM
We just returned yesterday after riding the updated SE. The narration was so bland that I used the ride for a nice nap. It seemed like the imagineers couldn't think of anything to put at the end so they try to distract you with a cartoon. I think it would have been better to have figures acting out some of the future scenes like when you fall and break your arm in the snow scene and the dog gives you the machine to xray your arm. So sad that Disney decided not to use some of their "magic" to really make the ride great.

mickeyjohn
09-21-2008, 02:34 PM
That ride always seemed kind of like a great way to catch a nap. Thanks for reading.:mickey:

CaptSmee
09-21-2008, 04:48 PM
I enjoy the new SE, but truly miss Jermey Irons narration:(

devoted93
09-21-2008, 08:43 PM
:spoiler: THERE BE SPOILERS IN THIS POST ...:spoiler:

I'm a huge fan of the previous version of the ride - I still listen to the Jeremy Irons version on my ipod with some regularity. When I saw videos of the new version online last December, I was extremely disappointed. Jetsons-like video? Seriously?

Well, I have to say that after I went on it last weekend ... I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't as bad as I had initially thought it would be. The script still kinda ***** ("Remember how easy it was to learn your ABC's?") and I still hate how they turned a reasonably good prediction of the future into a cheesy cartoon, I liked it more than I disliked it.

The starfield right after the peak was pretty sweet, I liked the Matrix-like imagery on the way to the peak, the animatronics are fantastic, and I love how they did the caveman stuff (i.e. the new video plus the animated cave-wall drawings). And the garage scene is great the way your car moves through the back yard into the garage. And the boat scene with the Phoenicians - the way the boats rocked back and forth is pretty cool. See? There's plenty to like.

Rachel88
09-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I have yet to see the new version of Spaceship Earth, but I loved the old one.

I think anything that changes needs some getting used to. How would you feel about it if you weren't comparing it to the last version? I think that is the true test of the new SE's quality.

I'll be judging it for myself in January, and hope that Judi Dench as narrator will make some of my family members who didn't like it before join me on the journey through communications!

Kerry823
09-22-2008, 12:02 AM
I loved Spaceship Earth....the Jeremy Irons version. I went on the "rehabbed" version and April and swore to myself I would never step on that ride again. In the past I would ride that at least 5 times a trip. Last time, once was enough and never again. I think it is ruined. Judi Dench is awful as the narrator. Jeremy Irons brought drama to the ride. Now it is blah.

My friend from work went to Disney last week and she and her friend decided prior to their trip that they would not go on SSE. They preferred to "remember it as it was" like a dear friend who has passed away.

Sometimes, change is not better.

thatkindofday
09-22-2008, 08:01 AM
This past trip was the first time I rode the updated version, and I liked it. It was a little different, but isn't that the point of a refurb? My dh, on the other hand, who's never been on it before, absolutely LOVED it, so much so, we had to ride it like 5 times.

hardingella
09-22-2008, 09:57 AM
After being on SE I dont know how many times before, we returned in February so excited as it re-opened just before we left and I have to say I thought it was brilliant. It was like being on a brand new ride. My DS 7 didnt want to go on at first because he said it was BORING, anyway he did and he came out skipping.
I know I'm in the minority here but hey, all you out there who think you wont like it now because of these posts, keep an open mind, forget the past, and look to the future!:thumbsup:

Imagineer1981
09-22-2008, 10:21 AM
I have yet to ride...makes me sad to hear such negative comments...it could have been great

JerseyDad
09-22-2008, 10:42 AM
....last fall when we were at WDW...I was seriously bummed out about Spaceship Earth still being in the (not needed!) re-furbishment stage. The bummed out feeling lasted quite a while....

I anxiously followed the progress of the renovation in any form of news available...and equally followed the opening and the not-so-stellar reviews that were posted both here...and on other WDW themed and travel bulletin boards. This comming fall (which technically begins in about 1 hour and 23 minutes)...I will not be able to spend my usual 10 days in WDW...but instead will only get 1 DAY to visit while we stay in Lake Buena Vista prior to heading to Tampa for a cruise :cry:. That ONE DAY will be spent at Epcot...and of course I will HAVE to go on Spaceship Earth to experience these wonders of change....first hand....:ack:

....now.....I'll have an entire cruise to be bummed out!!

(PS: change is bad!!)

bertasso59
09-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I have hated the changes made to Imagination and Living Seas,not to mention the loss of Horizons and World of Motion.But I was actually quite happy with the SE update. Judi Dench was a good choice and the interactive part is a lot of fun.It makde us want to ride over and over to get different views,like the old days of Horizons.I like the home PC in the garage scene and Im happy that you still lie back for a view of Earth among the stars.The blue infinity lights are awesome too.

Cookie123
09-22-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm at least glad we can still see the earth and the stars at the top of the ride. Jeremy Irons version was so much better. In actuality, they made it a kiddie ride, one that preschoolers could understand. I dearly miss the scene with the bridge in the dark, with all those blue / green tiny lights. I felt so
inspired with the older version, but not with this one.

Marker
09-22-2008, 04:01 PM
I have yet to ride...makes me sad to hear such negative comments...it could have been great

Don't fall for the negativity. Keep your own mind open so you can make your own unbiased assessment.

Yes, it is different, but that does not have to equate to bad.

I enjoyed the ride before, and I enjoy it now. I'm not hung up on a particular voice doing the narration as many seem to be. Yes, I will agree that the "level" of script may have come down a bit, but when folks comment that "it sounds like they're talking down to, like they're talking to kids"..... THEY ARE TALKING TO KIDS. Perhaps the previous script was going over the heads of the kids riding it. Perhaps this new script will allow the ride to more fulfill the goal of being something the whole family can enjoy together.

I wonder what the tone would be without hearing all of negative comments prior to experiencing it. I think there is at least some "well, everyone else hates it, so I guess I will too". I certainly would not recommend making your judgement based on other peoples opinions, see it for yourself. And try to block out the negativity that leads you to simply expect it to be bad. If you insist on expecting bad, that's probably what you'll see.

Actually, judging from the lines I saw at last week, I'd say there are a lot folks who do like this version. I don't think I've see the outside queues filling up in a long time, but last week they were lined up almost every time I saw them, with the exception of early morning or EMH times.

And for what it's worth, my daughter (20) rode the new version for the first time and was amused with the ending and use of the computer screen.

My main comment on the new version is, why is the paper boy standing in the corner?

EmISeeKayEeWhy
09-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Don't fall for the negativity. Keep your own mind open so you can make your own unbiased assessment.

I enjoyed the ride before, and I enjoy it now. I'm not hung up on a particular voice doing the narration as many seem to be. Yes, I will agree that the "level" of script may have come down a bit, but when folks comment that "it sounds like they're talking down to, like they're talking to kids"..... THEY ARE TALKING TO KIDS. Perhaps the previous script was going over the heads of the kids riding it. Perhaps this new script will allow the ride to more fulfill the goal of being something the whole family can enjoy together.

I wonder what the tone would be without hearing all of negative comments prior to experiencing it. I think there is at least some "well, everyone else hates it, so I guess I will too". I certainly would not recommend making your judgement based on other peoples opinions, see it for yourself. And try to block out the negativity that leads you to simply expect it to be bad. If you insist on expecting bad, that's probably what you'll see.

Actually, judging from the lines I saw at last week, I'd say there are a lot folks who do like this version. I don't think I've see the outside queues filling up in a long time, but last week they were lined up almost every time I saw them, with the exception of early morning or EMH times.

And for what it's worth, my daughter (20) rode the new version for the first time and was amused with the ending and use of the computer screen.

My main comment on the new version is, why is the paper boy standing in the corner?

Couldn't have said it better myself... Purists are getting out of control

handmaidenofprincesses
09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I miss Jeremy Irons!!! I'm seriously considering riding SE with my iPod playing his narration lol. Oh and the ending is absolutely atrocious, worse b/c both times I rode they cut my head in half on the little cartoon thingy.

I do like the moving cave drawings and the updated animatronics though. That part made me happy lol :)

Nascfan
09-22-2008, 06:54 PM
My opinion is more of Marker's than many others in the thread.

We really liked it before, and we really like it now. I think Disney did a good job updating things with the computers....and who knows what the future holds, it may be more "Jetsony" than we think. The old future, with the kids video-conferencing is more today than tomorrow.

LiloLovesTheKing26
09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
I really did go in with an open mind. I did not watch any of the videos on youtube or anything. I don't really mind Judy Dench. Her voice is pleasant. I just did not like the script!!! But even that I could get past. It's the decent from earth that got me!!! I was open to new scene's for the future since so much of the "future" in SE was already here. But it's like they crapped out and instead of spending the money to finish the ride they put in the video. If they REALLY wanted the little our future jetsons video they cold of saved that for then end in the interactive area.

GrmGrninGost
09-22-2008, 08:01 PM
SSE used to be one of my most favorite rides. No longer. I feel as if they are talking down to me during the narration. The last half of the ride is a joke! There is NOTHING there! You punch stuff on a computer screen! UNREAL!! I rode it once when we went in early September and that was all I could stomach. They have butchered a wonderful ride just as they did Journey into Imagination. I expect better from Disney! I cannot believe Walt would have ever let this be opened to the public.

waymickey
09-22-2008, 08:09 PM
The new ride stinks on ice!
My family was sooo dissapointed with the new updated version. I agree the screens are just so we don't see all the nothing.

fielin
09-23-2008, 03:53 AM

Oh, THANK YOU !

This is so good to read ! At last, somebody who realize that Disneyworld is not a museum, and that change is acceptable.

Of course, everybody is entitled to an opinion, and you can be disappointed with the update of an attraction.

But there are countless threads here that pray that they don't change the Carrousel of Progress, MuppetShow 3D or even HISTA - or crying upon the loss of their beloved original version of Imagination, Mr Toad, or even Alien Encounter or Tiki Tiki Room...

I do understand that for your own benefit, you would sometimes like things to stay like thay were when you first saw them, but this is a theme park, and it must appeal to all audiences...

They don't want new kids coming there to think this is an outdated park for their old fashioned parents. And you have to admit that sometimes, just sometimes, it does feel that way in some attractions. (And yes, I LOVE Disney parks)

I liked the new Spaceship earth, eventhough I have to agree that the descent was kind of bare without all the lights... I loved the on-screen action, but I would have liked it even better if the lights had still been there.

Still, I thought it was a VERY good update, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

For those who haven't seen it, keep an open mind, and decide for yourself if you like it or not. You are entitled to your own opinon.

hardingella
09-23-2008, 10:09 AM
I cant believe all the negativity.Some posts are critical but fair, others are just ranting.

I intend to keep returning to WDW for as long as my body will allow me.

If nothing ever changed it would get boring. Part of the magic for me is the element of surprise. whats fun about seeing the same thing over and over and over again. My DS 7 didnt want to see muppet 3D because he said hed seen it before.

WDW will keep up with the times, keep changing things.

As one of Walts rides suggests. Its the "Carrousel of Progerss".Things have got to evolve.

DisneyMP3Maker
09-23-2008, 10:30 AM
I haven't seen the new version yet and I'm still pretty excited to see it, even though there is so much negativity toward it. It seems like when Disney changes a "classic" ride the first time, it's not as good as it could be and they realize it but won't change it for a few years. But then it usually is much better.

I'm glad that I video recorded the ride last time so I can always remember what it looked like.

sdewan
09-23-2008, 10:48 AM
After being on SE I dont know how many times before, we returned in February so excited as it re-opened just before we left and I have to say I thought it was brilliant. It was like being on a brand new ride. My DS 7 didnt want to go on at first because he said it was BORING, anyway he did and he came out skipping.
I know I'm in the minority here but hey, all you out there who think you wont like it now because of these posts, keep an open mind, forget the past, and look to the future!:thumbsup:

I agree! My DD 3 and DS 6 loved the ride more than ever before, and wanted to back on several times. I've never been thrilled by the ending of Spaceship Earth, so I don't miss it, and at least now my kids enjoy it.

I DO miss the space station scene at the very top, which disappeared two refurbs ago. I thought it was a nice climax to the journey.

BWayGrl
09-23-2008, 05:02 PM
I might have mentioned this in another area of the boards but I don't remember... My boyfriend and I went in August. I've been going almost every year since I was four and he's only been a few times. This time after we got done Epcot, he said, "If I didn't know any better, and I paid $70 to get in here, I would be so mad." (Only he used a slightly more profane word). I have still not gotten over SE. I agree that Judi Dench is speaking to us like we're idiots. And the finale has absolutely no emotion anymore! Your car turns, and there's Earth, but the music doesn't do anything to inspire me, and I miss Jeremy Irons' soothing, mystical voice. The descent is horrible.

I feel like Epcot has been geared more towards kids lately, and I don't really like it. The Seas is cute, and I admit that it's pretty cool that the characters are swimming in the actual taks, but I miss Sea Base Alpha and the Hydrolators. Call me nostalgic...It's hard for me to accept change.

EmISeeKayEeWhy
09-24-2008, 07:10 AM
It's funny how people forget that Disney is for "kids" of all ages. SE is suposed to be a learning tool, a look back in history. How is a child suposed to learn anything from this ride if the narration is using words and terms they do not understand? I say kudos to Disney!

DVC_dad
09-24-2008, 09:18 AM
JEREMY IRONS was NOT the ORIGINAL narrator anyway.

Don't give up on the attraction just because it has changed....please??? I have to admit, I liked it better with Irons as well. I had actually memorized the first several sentances of Irons and often said it to my kids.

"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And we have been among her many passengers..." or something like that.

It's difficult to accept any changes to any of the big classics like SSE. I remember when Horizons was scrapped and torn down. I spent a year greiving and I only ever got to ride the thing ONE TIME, as 1998 was my first trip to WDW since I was 4 years old, so it was the first WDW trip that I actually remember most of.

Anyway, I hope you are able to absorb the disappointment of having the SSE changed. I know exactly how you feel but trust me, you can't fight it.

I'm just waiting for the day to come when they take away the COP (Carousel of Progress) altogether. I'll cry I'm sure. :(