PDA

View Full Version : Coronado Springs?!?!

jaredkari
09-20-2008, 10:13 PM
We just made reservations at Coronado Springs for January and we are very excited because we have never stayed at this resort before!!!!

Just wanted to get general impression of resort and any tips anyone might have about the resort such as should we request to be in a certain building or suggestions on what to eat.

jrkcr
09-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Lucky You!! We love CSR!!

It is very peaceful! Beautiful for walking around.

The food court is great. It may seem confusing at first, but it is like getting a TS for a CS credit(if you are doing the dining plan), and the food is yummy!! Plus, you can get frozen :marg: in the evening and sit along the lake....:thumbsup:

The pool is GREAT!! DH loves the water slide. And so do our kids. BIG hot tub!!

I could go on and on....

sassy2000
09-21-2008, 09:18 AM
We will be staying at CSR in December and are also very excited. Where you stay depends on what is important to you. If you want to be closer to the themed pool then Ranchos bldg 7B or Cabanas Bldg 8A are for you. However, if you want to be closest to food court then I would go with Cabana 9B or Casitas 1. :mickey:

Sassy2000

BigRedDad
09-21-2008, 09:30 AM
My DW and I stayed there when we were dating. It is a very nice resort. I think it tends to be a little nicer as a moderate resort because it has a convention center. I don't think the walks were too bad no matter where we were. We always got picked up by one of the workers carts when we were walking and there was one around. The pool is very nice, they have a great play ground, the lake in the center is nice, and they have boats to rent for the lake. I am sure there is nice fishing in that lake too (catch and release).

pink
09-21-2008, 11:29 AM
The resort itself is beautiful however it is LARGE. We have a special needs person in our family and requested a room closest to the food court as possible but since there was a convention in town they put them up front and stuck us as far back as possible. We had a 10 minute walk from the pool to our room and we had to drive to the food court because it was so far away. The food court the Pepper Market was also strange. I remember them seating us like it was a table service restaurant but yet you still have to get your own food and I think they even expected a tip, but I'm not sure. Each section of the resort had there own bus stop but ours was by a swamp thing and there were love bugs everywhere you looked, it was gross. It wasn't even when they were supposed to be there I think it was October.

If you're going there get a room close to the lobby or plan on walking very far every day. :mickey:

PetefromRI
09-21-2008, 09:12 PM
The resort is beautiful and it has the best foodcourt in Disney World.I'd say the pool area is one of the best in Disney.But....We will never stay there again.It is just way too large and we did request something closer and because of a convention we were put way in the back.They cater to the conventioneers and I guess rightly so since it's a convention center.It seemed that when the conventioneers showed up it lost it's Disney charm,there was alot of trash talk going on.Like I said,it was beautiful and we had a good time but it's way to big for us,and I like the CBR which people say is too big so go figure.

buzz2001
09-22-2008, 05:27 AM
CSR is a great mod resort!! It offers an awesome main pool area, terrific transportation, and very good food options. CSR has queen beds too!! Also, CLUB LEVEL will be an option as of 01/2009!!

KatMark
09-22-2008, 10:21 PM
We just returned from our 7th stay (and booked #8 for next year). Here is my review from our recent stay:

We arrived at the CSR on Monday, September 1, at around 12:30 p.m. Check-in went very smoothly--no one else in line. We had terrific CM's who were laughing and joking with each of our parties (you'll remember that my best friend and her DH went with us). The Assistant Manager personally came out to talk to the four of us, ask if we had any questions, gave us a list of all of our dining reservations and gave us his phone number in case of any problems or issues. He indicated our room was not ready, but that it would be soon. We were then given anniversary buttons and balloons and Shleley was given a birthday button (her birthday is September 26) and Tom was given a 1st Time Visitor Button. Shelley and Tom originally asked for Ranchos but were put in Casitas to be close to us which they were delighted with--they got upgraded to a water view room. Since our room was not ready, we went to Pepper Market where we all had something from the deli and shared by each couple as we had a 5:00 dinner at Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic Package. Just as we finished lunch, the Assistant Manager called to say our room was ready. Our friends were in Casitas 3 -- 3133 and we were in 3225. I was a little disappointed as we really like 4 and 5, but then we walked into our room. We were upgraded to a suite (what a treat it was having two bathrooms and two televisions). There were more balloons, autographed photos of Mickey and Minnie and a huge bouquet of flowers. We were also given robes for our stay and turn down service every night. We both had beautiful views of the Lake.

Every CM we dealt with was as friendly as could be. Although we only ate at Pepper Market twice, the service was good and friendly and the food outstanding. I saw one of the Mangers' helping several people who were obviously new to the PM and di not understand the set up. We had breakfast there one morning and wanted American Cheese omelets. They did not have American Cheese at the station, but the cook went and found it for us. Analia at the coffee bar was outstanding every morning I went for my cappucino--friendly, chatty. The lifeguards were very good and friendly and joking with the kids in the pool. Francisco was superb as always (and yes, Shelley and I had a few Pina Coladas at the pool). A large convention came in Saturday night/Sunday morning and we saw ONLYtwo people in suits--the rest were dressed casually (mostly in shorts) as they wen tot their meetings and always said hello when he passed us. Mark and I went to the Dig Site/Hot Tub on three nights. It was just us and two other people in the hot tub when the convention people were there and maybe 10 people in the Dig Site. During the afternoons when we were at the Dig Site, there were no more than 50 people in the pool. We even went down the Jaguar slide twice.

Mousekeeping was great and we received towel animals one day--a puppy dog and a peacock.

Shelley & Tom were given a Magical Dream the day they check out--they were asked to open Panchitos and were given a certificate for doing so. The four of us also won a Year of a Millions Dream prize. As we were exiting Splash Mountain one morning, we were each given Mickey Mouse Year of a Million Dream ears. We each kept one and then the men gave the other two to little children that we saw in the park.

As for the parks, the longest we waited for a ride was Tower of Terror--which was about 20 minutes and that was our own fault. We went right after Fantasmic ended and Rock & Roll Roller Coaster was not running, so this was our fault. Other than that, we waited an average of five minutes for every single ride, and ten at the most (including Soarin'). The CM's at the park were very friendly--always saying Happy Anniversary, Happy Birthday, etc. We received three "Happy Anniversary/Birthday phone calls) in the parks. We saw only one large group of travelers from Brazil and they were loud, but I saw no other issues with them.

We visited two other resorts during our stay and we will stick with the CSR--thank you very much (we've already booked our bounceback for next year). We went to the Wilderness Lodge for dinner at the Whispering Canyon Cafe (the worse meal of our trip--I'll write about it on the Dining Board) and talked to two different CM's--one at the desk and one who was walking around--and we felt like we were being a huge bother to them by asking them a question; we also went back to the Caribbean to give their food court a second try--sorry it was just as bad as the first time (but we felt better giving it a second try).

The second portion of our trip at Daytona Beach was very nice and relaxing (although I either got food poisoning or the 24-hour flu and spent Friday in the room all day).

As many of you know, this was a difficult trip as I lost my dad the week before we left. I walked into Epcot and broke into tears and when we went on Spaceship Earth (which I really like the new version) I couldn't stop crying on the first ride through. I bought a balloon which I was going to release into the sky. But as we were getting ready to release it, I heard my dad in my head saying "why would you spend $7.00 and then just let the balloon go--that is such a waste of money (this from the man who told me to stop buying him cards at holidays because Hallmark had enough money). So instead I found a little girl in a stroller and gave her the balloon. I explained, with tears streaming down my cheeks, to the parents why I was doing this--that my dad had died and I know he would have wanted me to give the balloon to someone as he always bought them for his grandchildren (those poor parents must have thought I was nuts).

The trip was just what we needed after the last seven months with dad in the hospital/nursing home/hospital and then passing on.

We had a wonderful trip and can't wait to go back next year--God willing.

P.S. When we got home, there was a box from Disney--I assumed it was one of the two shipments I sent home. It was not. We won a "specialized Disney Dreams Prize Pack" which consisted of a stuffed Mickey and Minnie, a tote bag, a coffee cup, a photo album, picture frame, tin of candy and a Deluxe Pin Trading Starter Kit and a DISNEY GIFT CARD. What a way to end the trip!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Pepper Market:thumbsup:
Maya Grill:sick:

BigRedDad
09-23-2008, 10:14 AM
I remember them seating us like it was a table service restaurant but yet you still have to get your own food and I think they even expected a tip, but I'm not sure.

someone can correct me if I am wrong, but there is a "tip" charged to your bill at Pepper Market when you pay for your food.

KatMark
09-23-2008, 10:19 AM
someone can correct me if I am wrong, but there is a "tip" charged to your bill at Pepper Market when you pay for your food.

Yes, there is a 10% tip at the Pepper Market (Pepper Market is an independent vendor and not owned by Disney). The 10% is included in the dining plan if you are on it (at least it was when we were there earlier this month) or you can avoid it by asking for a "to go" ticket which is what we do most times because we like sitting outside by the lake eating our food at one of the many new and additional tables they put in about a year or two ago.

kakn7294
09-23-2008, 10:35 AM
I wasn't impressed. We were in Ranchos 7B, all the way at the far end of the building and getting to the main building was a hike so we never went but once. Our room seemed a bit dirty and run-down and we had to call for coffee refills for the coffeemaker - none for 3 days - they finally brought us a bunch but the maid never did leave any and we didn't have that stash sitting out where she would see it. The staff seemed friendly but it wasn't nearly as magical a stay as at the other moderates we've stayed in. For the most part, bus service was great - among the best we've ever experienced. I would stay there again only if there was no availability at any other moderate. It still beats off-property! I hope your experience is much better than ours!

jonah'smom
09-23-2008, 10:42 AM
I was looking on the WDW website for prices for Jan 2-8 for our vacation and the only room available at CSR was the Junior Suite. Does anyone know if this has anything to do with Marathon Weekend? Do they hold any meetings/events at CSR for the Marathon? Would that be why there were no standard rooms available here? I am interested in staying here because of the fitness facilities. None of the other mods have them.

Crow
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
stayed there a few times. its at the top of my mod list. less families cause its a convention resort more. the food court is good & as stated if on the dining plan you can get a steak for a CS credit. if you dont want to dine in the food court just do take out to avoid the service charge
the lake is nice...business center, spa...
enjoy

KatMark
09-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I was looking on the WDW website for prices for Jan 2-8 for our vacation and the only room available at CSR was the Junior Suite. Does anyone know if this has anything to do with Marathon Weekend? Do they hold any meetings/events at CSR for the Marathon? Would that be why there were no standard rooms available here? I am interested in staying here because of the fitness facilities. None of the other mods have them.

I'm not sure if they hold meetings/events because of the Marathon. It could be that part of the reason is that the rehab will be going on and one building will be shut down at a time and, as of January 1, one of the Cabanas buildings will be Club Level.

bertasso59
09-26-2008, 06:41 PM
We stayed there just last week.Usually we stayed at a value resort but they were booked this trip.The only differences between value and the CSR were;the bar,the water slide at the pool,a ceiling fan in your room and the many quiet pools near each building.There were not a lot of children there,as its a big convention resort,so its a bit quieter.
Mousekeeping did a good job creating little figures with towels.There are such figures in every window.At first we had a family of ducks riding a rollercoaster.
Pepper Market is a great choice for quick food because of the variety and Maya Grill is a wonderful spot for a nice sit down dinner with great service.
Have a great trip!

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-29-2008, 12:39 AM
We love CSR! It's our favorite.

It's beautiful and quiet. The buses are great. Very short wait, usually 10 mins. The Pepper Market has great food and lots to choose from.

If it weren't for money being tight right now we'd be staying there next month.

mouseketeer mom
09-30-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm looking forward to our first stay there in March. I'm just afraid to read that some people had to DRIVE to the food court?? Yikes. That sounds awful. Especially since we won't have a car. We will be part of a convention..(well at least DH will, me and the kids will be at the parks!!:blush:) I wonder if our room will be in a more preferred location since we are booking thru Coronado at the convention rate. Someone mentioned perhaps conventioneers might get better room locations?

KatMark
09-30-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm looking forward to our first stay there in March. I'm just afraid to read that some people had to DRIVE to the food court?? Yikes. That sounds awful. Especially since we won't have a car. We will be part of a convention..(well at least DH will, me and the kids will be at the parks!!:blush:) I wonder if our room will be in a more preferred location since we are booking thru Coronado at the convention rate. Someone mentioned perhaps conventioneers might get better room locations?

You won't necessarily get a better location because of being with convention. And a lot will have to do with what building they are working on with the renovations at the time you are there. You do NOT need a car to drive to the food court. It is a hike if you are in the Ranchos, but it is not that bad. If you or someone in your party really can't handle the walk, you can take the bus around to the front, but to me it is not that long of a walk. We stay in Casitas 5 (90% of the time) and it takes me about five minutes to walk to the food court.

mouseketeer mom
09-30-2008, 05:42 PM
You won't necessarily get a better location because of being with convention. And a lot will have to do with what building they are working on with the renovations at the time you are there. You do NOT need a car to drive to the food court. It is a hike if you are in the Ranchos, but it is not that bad. If you or someone in your party really can't handle the walk, you can take the bus around to the front, but to me it is not that long of a walk. We stay in Casitas 5 (90% of the time) and it takes me about five minutes to walk to the food court.

5 mins isn't bad at all! What would you say is the walk from the Ranchos? Just in case we end up there?

KatMark
09-30-2008, 08:28 PM
We'v never been in the Ranchos...but my guess is 10 minutes...maybe a tad more. It really isn't a bad walk and there is so much to see along the way--the alligator in the Lake, the rabbits, ducks and other beautiful birds that are around and then, of course, all those cute little lizards.

mouseketeer mom
09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Thank you! I'm not going to worry then about where we end up!

ccnykamp
10-01-2008, 09:17 PM
We really like the resort, but some of the rooms are really far from the main lobby area. Other than that, it's a great place to stay.

Crow
10-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Ive always been put in the Rancho section, but it wasnt a bad walk.