PDA

View Full Version : Susie's September Dining Review

Susie in NM
09-20-2008, 06:32 PM
This is our table service dining review for our recent trip. We were a party of two which sometimes does not work out so great since many places just pull a 4 top apart by about a foot so you end up with another party of two very close to you. I have ranked our dinners with our least favorite first.

RAGLAN ROAD - DH had the Sheppard’s Pie and I had fish and chips. The fish was better than the Sheppard’s Pie but not good enough that we would make an effort to return here. Although the food was very hot when they arrived at the table and our waiter was o.k. but not as good as some we had during our stay. We felt it was very loud in the had mashed potatoes instead of the fries listed on the menu which was a good choice.
restaurant and hard to carry on a conversation. The bread pudding was very tasty. We were seated within 5 minutes of checking in but did notice that there were quite a few empty tables when we left and lots of people waiting to be seated???

GRAND FLORIDIAN CAFÉ – We had 5:10 ADRs for this one. Place was practically deserted at that time. It was kinda nice to sit in a quiet restaurant and not have people sitting at a table just inches away. I had the salmon which was good but the rest of the stuff on the plate I did not care for. DH had the Ribeye which was nothing special. He had mashed potatoes instead of the fries listed on the menu which was a good choice. Our waiter was attentive enough but a bit “snooty” – guess maybe he was getting into playing the part of the feel of the place. Business was picking up by the time we left an hour or so later but still lots of empty tables – I wonder why I could not have gotten an ADR for 6 or 6:30. I had called just the day before and was told the only times available were 5:10 or 8:50??? I doubt we would return unless we could not get at ADR anywhere else.

KONA CAFÉ - We had a great waitress here. She took lots of time to explain the menu options and clue us in on her favorites. DH had the Teriaki steak which she recommended and I had the shrimp and scallops. The scallops I got were about half the size of the ones on the table next to us. The steak was the better choice at this dinner. We were at the café shortly after a rainstorm and lots of wet people and strollers just milling around so this was not a very relaxing dinner.

BOMA – This is such a beautiful resort it is well worth the long bus trip to come here. DH particularly enjoyed the seafood soup. A buffet is a good way to try just a little taste of a lot of foods that are totally unfamiliar. There were a couple things I did not care for but overall everything was good.

O’HANA’S - When we checked in at the podium the hostess told us they were running about 30 minutes late in seating ADR’s and were not taking any walkups. So we took our little buzzer and checked out the gift shop. Being seated late actually worked out great because just about the time we were finished our waitress told us the fireworks at MK were about to start. This was an evening when the Halloween party was going on so the fireworks were a little different than usual and the soundtrack they pipe in from the park was Halloween themed. The food was good here and lots of fun to watch the children learning the hula and the coconut races. This was the best desert we had the entire trip.

LE CELLIER – Since we had not planned our trip before the 180 mark getting an ADR here took about 20 or 30 calls over the course of several months. I finally got an ADR for 4:30 which actually worked out fine. We just stayed at Epcot all day instead of taking a break at our resort. The best waiter we had the entire trip was here. I ordered the cheese soup that so many rave about. It was very rich and a little on the salty side so it was better as a dipping sauce for the bread sticks. DH and I could not even finish the bowl. DH had the filet and I the salmon, both of which were excellent but very rich with all that butter. I had the chocolate moose for desert. Very cute and very tasty.

TEPPAN EDO – This was our favorite meal of the trip. We both had the steak and shrimp which was very tasty and cooked just right. We ended up getting plenty of mushrooms too since several people at our table did not want mushrooms. And to think I was a little reluctant to book this restaurant since you don’t know who you will be eating dinner with. We sat next to a couple who had come to WDW for each of the past 3 years during “free” dining. They said each year the restaurants have been busier and harder to get ADRs. Our chef was very entertaining and personable.

O.K. that is the week in a nut shell --- lots of food. I was just sure I had gained about 5 pounds with all the eating we did. Fortunately, when I got on the scale the day after we returned I was the same as the day we started our vacation. Must have been all that walking??
:mickey:

MinnieMommie
09-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Great reviews - thanks! I'm sorry that you didn't have the best experience at Kona. I have eaten there many times and never had a bad meal or experience. Sounds like you just didn't hit it right (especially as you describe the rain storm and carriages mulling about). All in all it sounds like you had good food and a good time. :mickey:

yjgirl32
09-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the review. Got a lot to think about before next trip.

tinkerbell04
09-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Sounds like you had a nice week of meals! Thanks for sharing!:mickey:

pdrlkr
09-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the review! :smickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the reports

simpleyred
09-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for posting. Love reading reviews :mickey:

disneylovinmom
09-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Yum, it all sounds good!! But, I do love to eat ;). Teppan Edo was one of our favorites also on our last trip. I have always wanted to try LeCellier, also. Maybe next trip. Thanks for the great info!!