PDA

View Full Version : Late night EMH - Is it worth it?

Wickster1970
09-19-2008, 06:44 PM
From some of the newer posts it seems that evening EMH is very crowded.

We are going in April a week after Easter and will have DS7, DD9, DD10 with us and I am not sure how they will handle very long lines. How are crowds in late April?

Would it be better to be at the park having evening EMH and face the larger crowds, or go to one of the other three that close at the normal time hoping everbody would be at the one having EMH?

KEDOGN
09-19-2008, 07:12 PM
I dunno about April, but I can tell you when we went during the usual "slow season" in August, my wife and I found the EMHs to be nothing special. The only real benefit was you did indeed get to spend more time at the park. Other than that, the lines were long, if not longer than usual, this meaning it took longer to do things. But being at the Magic Kingdom until 1am was a great experience in itself though. :mickey:

Sunshine1010
09-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I agree. EVERY time we have ever done the extra hours during the night...it was absolutely packed. The morning hour ones are better, but it gets packed quickly.

We NEVER do the EMH anymore.

Although.....I've heard that Epcot's EMH night crowds are better than the MK's EMH night crowds.

I'm sure there are nights that the parks are empty, but in the 10 or more times I've done the night hours....it's always been packed.

Kinda like the holiday parties. I thought the crowds would be lower, but they never have been.

Regardless....Disney is Disney. You gotta love it!!!!

joonyer
09-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Even if its crowded or we don't ride a lot of attractions, we love being in any of the parks after dark, especially MK. It just becomes so much more magical after the sun goes down. We love late nights at the parks.

SBETigg
09-19-2008, 08:53 PM
We love evening EMH. Epcot tends to stay busy well into the later hours and not much stays open around World Showcase. Still, we love taking our time and enjoying a few things instead of rushing off after Illuminations. For the MK, evening EMH has definitely been worth it. It's crowded with long lines early in the evening, until about an hour after regular park closing, and then the crowds start to disappear and you can fit in a fair amount of big attractions with little to no wait.

It is worth it if you plan to stay to the end and make the most of it, I think. It's not worth it if you think your group will tire early and leave before really taking full advantage.

kemps@wdw
09-19-2008, 09:47 PM
We never do EMHs!:humph: We have always found it way too crowded. Although, It is cool :cool: to be in the parks that late, don't plan on getting on alot of attractions. We kinda like to hit a few attractions (w/short or moderate waits), and then hit the ice cream parlor, scope out a nice spot and do a little people-watching. That in itself can be an "interesting" experience!:D

GrmGrninGost
09-20-2008, 08:24 AM
We like the evening EMH. It seems to me that early in the evening the lines can be as long as they were during the day, but the longer you stay the shorter the lines become!

goon29
09-20-2008, 12:00 PM
We like the evening EMH. It seems to me that early in the evening the lines can be as long as they were during the day, but the longer you stay the shorter the lines become!

Agreed! Just stick around a while. Especially if you're lucky enough to catch evening EMH when MK is already open till midnight. There is nothing cooler than riding HM or POTC at 2AM!

andreallybadeggs
09-20-2008, 04:49 PM
For me it comes down to biological clocks and Park Hoppers. If your kids are happy staying up till the wee hours then you'll get some good out of the evening extension IF you stay around quite awhile
and wait for the park to start clearing.
Otherwise, I'd avoid the pm EMH park because the lines really can be long early on. We really enjoy the am EMH park IF we have park hoppers.
Get a whole lot done before 11 am and then head to a non-EMH park or back to enjoy our resort.

mel
09-20-2008, 07:43 PM
when we went in july there were only certain parts of magic kingdom that was crowded during emh.. Tomorrowland is always crowded but if you go over to frointerland or adventureland its hardly that way. Try doing tomorrowland at the end of the evening instead of doing it first. Also try to avoid fantasyland until later as people seem to congrate there with lots of little ones. About 11:30 or midnight all of those families clear out.

jaredkari
09-20-2008, 08:39 PM
:mickey:I would have to agree with a lot of other post... I have said it once and I'll say it again...evening EMH is worthless. Lines are always longer, to me it is not really a benefit of staying on site. Now the morning EMH I have always found to be pretty good. The first two hours in any park no matter if it is early EMH or not is the best time to get stuff done. One tip. At MK on early EMH run to Tomorrowland, get a fastpass for SP then run to Fantasyland...it will virtually be deserted. Ride all the Fantasyland rides then head back to Tomorrowland. By that time the crowds have built up and now you can use FP the rest of the day.

TheRustyScupper
09-21-2008, 01:19 PM
1) I have always found evening EMH crowded.
2) Too crowded for our liking.
3) We prefer the morning EMH.

NOTE: Lots of times we do a morning EMH, stay for 1-2 hours afterward, then go home. It really makes a nice morning.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-21-2008, 04:49 PM
We have always found the evening EMH to be too busy and crazy. Not worth it for us, we don't get a lot done, and it makes us tired and cranky the next day. :angry:

We do sometimes do morning EMH's, you can get a lot done early, and then move to another park for the rest of the day:thumbsup:

casey@bat
09-21-2008, 06:10 PM
We are moring people so we do the AM EMH.

But my friend told me they loved staying in MK late. (they don't like to get up early) She said all the princesses come out on the street in Toon Town Fair.

Once we went with no kids and did EMH pm at DHS. It was neat because it was like a reopening for FPs. We sat at the FP kiosk for ToT and waited for it to reopen at 10:00. Then we rode RnRC and then ToT with our FPs, just like first thing in the morning.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
09-21-2008, 07:11 PM
We love evening EMH... Emmy and I are both night owls (although, she is also a morning person, which kills me...lol) and seeing the park at night with, in our experience, significantly lighter crowds, is really worth it. We have always used EMH to take on the rides that are typically a ridiculous wait during the day (i.e. Peter Pan or PoTC). We get on and off and we get a ton done. Plus the character lines aren't that long either, which is a def plus, especially during EMH at EPCOT when you can hit the Character Connection!

Everyone is different, so really, you should try it and see if it works for your family or not. Some love it and some hate it...

Auroring Good Time
09-21-2008, 08:17 PM
The first hour is usually pretty busy but after that it tends to clear out. I love the evening extra magic hours. There is something special about riding Splash Mountain with DS at 1 a.m. over and over and ....

Mrs Bus Driver
09-21-2008, 11:35 PM
It was neat because it was like a reopening for FPs. We sat at the FP kiosk for ToT and waited for it to reopen at 10:00. Then we rode RnRC and then ToT with our FPs, just like first thing in the morning.

I did not know this do they really reopen the FP kiosks for evening EMH? :mickey:

Nut4DW
09-22-2008, 10:21 AM
We enjoy the late EMH - especially at MK. The one thing we MUST do is ride the Astro Orbitor during EMH - I love seeing MK lit up late at night from that high vantage point. That is the only time we ride this particular attraction and I'm not really crazy about heights, but the view is awesome and definately worth it.

teambricker04
09-22-2008, 12:32 PM
We like the EMH for the pure fact we can leave at a leisurly pace. I don't like EMH morning hours at AK, but every where else is okay.

We did a EMH at MGM studios last Nov and it was PERFECT. We got on to everything we wanted in a short amount of time and it wasn't crowded at all. The worst line was to get the wrist band.

Cookie123
09-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I only did EMH evening just once at Epcot in December. Lines were better and better the longer I stayed. I left just after midnight when it closed. I finished up with Soarin' with no wait at all ! I refuse to set my alarm clock for vacation, so I've never done the morning EMH.
I've heard that the MK is extra magical in the dark, which is why I always do MVMCP once every trip. Everyone should see the MK in the dark ! It is absolutely beautiful !

Puppy Mom
09-22-2008, 07:07 PM
I have never done EMH, but being a person who does not like extreme heat and humidity, I always thought it would be worth it just for the better temps.

thrillme
09-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Except for my upcoming trip my DS and I always go in mid July. The evening EMH was absolutely AWESOME when you paid the extra $12 (you'd be surprised how many did NOT want to pay the extra).

When they went with the "free for all" resort guests...they really goofed it up. HOWEVER...the lines DID still go down but not till after the first hour. A lot of people who were in line before the park closed were still in line. After they got through it became much much easier. We rode EE three times and only stood in a lengthy line once. Mission Space was DEAD Perfect no one in line...Space Mountain remained challenging but not as bad as during the day...Buzz was very light. Splash Mountian was so-so. ToT and RR stayed pretty busy.

I'm not a big fan of the morning EMH's because we are night owls. I'll be the one happy to get started as the sun goes down and crash when the sun comes up.

Sunshine1010
09-22-2008, 10:08 PM
.....extra $12.00 ?

Mrs Bus Driver
09-23-2008, 07:13 AM
.....extra $12.00 ?

There used to be E-ticket nights, resort guests could pay an extra $12 and stay for a few hours after closing. Almost like EMH now a days, I never got to do this but remember researching this for my last trip. :mickey: