PDA

View Full Version : What's Better Now?

briguy
09-19-2008, 03:51 PM
I read lots of posts about things missed from years ago. Nostalgia is great, but today will one day be "the good old days" for the little ones you see roaming the parks. So it would be nice to know Disney got lots of things right over the years as I know they have.

So my question is - what's better today than your first visit?

For me -

1) No brainer - 4 parks now, plus water parks, DTD, etc

2) Recent (relative to 1st visit) additions like EE, ToT, RnRC, Philarmagic, etc

3) More resort choices

4) More dining choices with theming (Sci Fi, etc)

5) No more ticket books - let me in the gate and at the attractions

I will post more, but want to see everyone else's list

SBETigg
09-19-2008, 04:37 PM
I agree with everything on your list. I think the fireworks shows are better than ever. They do some really amazing fireworks, especially around special events like the Pirate and Princess Party.

I think Disney has made it harder to leave their resorts/parks for other Orlando destinations. When I honeymooned at Disney in the 90s, we didn't mind taking a day to go to Seaworld. With all there is to do at WDW now, we still haven't made it to Universal or Seaworld, and we're just fine with that.

I also think the characters look better than ever.

Simba's Mom
09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
This is a great idea! I agree about the fireworks shows at the parks are improved-I remember when there wasn't any fireworks show at Epcot. I like the EMH in the morning. I think FastPass is the best thing since sliced bread! And I love many of the rides that have come along since we first started going-Splash Mountain, Soarin, Mickey's Philharmagic, Test Track, all of Animal Kingdom's offerings, and Beaches and Cream (not a ride, I know).

Urbss
09-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Fast Pass - what a great concept!!!

joonyer
09-19-2008, 08:19 PM
some of what's better now:

1. One price (even if its too high) for park entry with unlimited entry to attractions. (No more coupon books and paying for every ride).

2. Fast pass

3. Three New parks and lots of very cool and fun attractions.

4. Lots more themed resorts

5. Lots more restaurants

I first went to WDW shortly after it opened in 1971. Although it was very cool then and just about the most awesome vacation I could imagine as a 15 year old, WDW is MUCH, MUCH better now, in spite of all the problems we like to complain about on these and other boards.

As my grandfather (born in 1893, died in 1994) used to tell me: "Don't let people fool you talking about the "good ol' days". Life may have been simpler back when, but it was much harder. Life is more enjoyable now now than it's ever been."

The same is true for WDW. It was simpler back then, but its more fun than ever now.

wdwfansince75
09-19-2008, 10:03 PM
PoTC and HM are even better...
Also like the current monorails better....
Seems to me that most of the resturants have improved over the years....except for those terrible noodles...
Love Fast Passes
And the newer rides...
EE, TSMM, RnRC, TOT, Soaring, TT, Mission Space....
Oh, and I love having more grandkids to enjoy the rides with me!

kemps@wdw
09-19-2008, 10:20 PM
More of EVERYTHING! :joy:
More parks, more attractions, more thrill rides, more water parks, more resorts, more FOOD options, :D !
And LESS of some things!
Less reason to leave WDW property and no tickets needed!
And how about that Fast Pass? :eyes: WOW!!
What's not fantastic about WDW!

Simba's Mom
09-20-2008, 01:03 PM
I just remembered something else that's better now. The first time we went to WDW, there was no bus stop at the MK. Everyone had to go through the T&TC and take either the ferry or monorail to get to the MK. So the addition of trhe bus stop right at the MK is a big plus!

Polynesian Dweller
09-20-2008, 01:38 PM
No extra cost for the monorail. You used to have to have a special ticket to ride the monorail.

Fastpass really helps.

Better security at resort entrances that helps keep the resort parking lots from filling up with park goers, especially at the Polynesian.

DTD West Side and La Nouba.

villavic
09-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Oh yes the good present days are cool, too!! My list would be..

1) More resort choices
2) Fantasmic!!!
3) FastPass
4) The parades and fireworks have been evolving for better, no doubt.
5) new rides like Test Track, and of course the new parks,and Downtown Disney

MickeysEars
09-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Seems to me that most of the resturants have improved over the years....except for those terrible noodles...

Which terrible noodles??

And my :twocents: is that I love that I do not have to leave the property. The buses, the resturants, the shopping...it is like a cruise ship...everything is right there.

wdwfansince75
09-21-2008, 08:59 AM
[quote=MickeysEars;1744041]Which terrible noodles??

The Tommorowland Terrace was established by us from our first trip as a meeting place....kids liked their food, including pizzas, and you could even view most of the Electric Light Parade from there....Several family members, including Yours Truly, tried the noodles, when it became the Noodle Station. The verdict is unanimous....Noodles are awful.

Mad About Mickey
09-21-2008, 09:47 AM
The overall experience has greatly improved. Those of us old enough to wax on about our childhood version of WDW remember that other than Fort Wilderness, The Contemporary and The Polynesian there were no other on site resorts. We had to stay off site which ment driving in in the morning after an off site breakfast, then when the day ended we had to drive back off site :(. Now we can stay onsite and have that Disney magic for the whole trip, and at prices for all levels from values to deluxe resorts. We only had one park, MK, and 1 or 2 days was all it took and you had done just about everything, now with 4 parks and 2 water parks, Downtown Disney, sports complex, etc... you could spend several weeks ansd still leave without having experienced everything.

What else? EMH, Character Dining, Fastpass, Illuminations, Fantasmic, so many new rides and dining experiences, Key to the World Cards, Magic Express, etc...

Yes, while many of us reminisce about a bygone WDW and things we have lost to progress I agree that WDW is so much more of an experience today than yesterday. So if losing Toad and 20,000 Leauques is the price we had to pay, I'm OK with it,. I would never want to go back to the way it was, well OK maybe for one day :mickey: .

MickeysEars
09-21-2008, 11:39 AM
[quote=MickeysEars;1744041]Which terrible noodles??

The Tommorowland Terrace was established by us from our first trip as a meeting place....kids liked their food, including pizzas, and you could even view most of the Electric Light Parade from there....Several family members, including Yours Truly, tried the noodles, when it became the Noodle Station. The verdict is unanimous....Noodles are awful.

I have never had them, thanks for the heads up!

EpcotFan182
09-21-2008, 01:34 PM
This is an interesting thread! For me it would be:

- FastPass
- addition of EE to AK
- The de-wanding of SSE
- Turning Food Rocks into Soarin'
- Re-doing Rio del Tiempo (it was a cheap fix but I like it better than the old ride)
- Those photo cards so all the pics taken of you by cast members stay together

Wickster1970
09-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Hands down.....the Fast Pass. :mickey:

fielin
09-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Thank you for starting this thread, this is so refreshing and optimistic !

I wasn't there when they opened (quite literally), but here are a few things that I am happy exist in WDW and that have not always been there !

- The fastpass system
- Segway tours (LOVE those)
- 4 parks and 2 waterparks
- Fireworks in 3 of the parks
- New Haunted House
- EE
- Downtown Disney (I wonder what the new Pleasure Island will be like)
-Animal Kingdom Lodge : most revolutionary hotel ever !
- Finding Nemo : the show
- Turtle Talk With Crush
- ... and so many more !

mainemajor
09-23-2008, 10:16 PM
No more ticket books
Fast Pass
More resort choices
More thrill rides

Rhetoric2000
09-24-2008, 06:06 AM
- FastPass.
- Wilderness and Animal Kindgom lodges.
- Watching The Land go from a desperate and sad pavilion to the most popular place in Epcot.
- Animal Kingdom, obviously.
- Rediscovering things you haven't done for ages - last time I went to Typhoon Lagoon for the first time in years and it was brilliant.
- Osbourne spectacle of Lights.

Yeah, loads of things.

Hayden's Dad
09-24-2008, 10:20 AM
For us it would have to be,

Photopass
The Haunted Mansion upgrade
Animal Kingdom
All the characters
The special parties (we are going to the halloween Party on Oct. 9 Now we have been to all three :D And have enjoyed everyone.)

Laughin' place
09-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Come on, somebody sing it with me:
Now is the time, now is the best time....

I have lots and lots of memories and Disney nostalgia. There are things I miss, some tangible -- some just moods or atmospheres. My longing for times past is more accute than ever -- our June 08 trip went way too fast, and left me with the worst case of Post- WDW Depression EVER (still not snapping out of it).

All THAT being said, I think we have to have the best Disney ever right now. The 'net in general, and INTERCOT especially, are great new additions. Audioanimatronics and special effects are better than ever, by leaps and bounds. New rides, resorts and eateries have been cited by others. If our longing and mania and obsession are staronger than ever, that must mean that there is more to love
...these are the best times of your life....:party:

Faver
09-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Great Post!!!

for me it's:
More Parks!!
More Resorts w/ affordable choices
DTD!!!!!!!!
Cirque du Soleil!!!

LarryBoy
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Come on, somebody sing it with me:
Now is the time, now is the best time....

I prefer to think of a great big beautiful tomorrow.

I think the greatest additions over the years has to be all of the resorts, that and three new parks. :thumbsup:

bertasso59
09-25-2008, 07:20 PM
-Pizza is better,in the old days Pizza was on a cracker and tasted salty:ack:
-Tiki Room is better,I like that its mostly intact but Iago and Zazu make fun of the corny stuff
-I like the new SE,the PC in the garage, the 70s mainframe and the interactive putting you in the future is fun.My DW and I made sure to stick out our tongues for the pic,we love the pic that we emailed home.
-Best improvement:DDP!!All that great food and its already paid for!:chef:

alex61821
09-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Magical Express- no more rental cars and not having to deal with your luggage.

Pop Century so nice to have a value with its own bus.

Fast Passes- I used to feel so guilty about going in front of all those people.

7swans
09-27-2008, 03:43 PM
We have more money than we used too!

When we honeymooned in '83 we spent a couple of hours looking for the cheapest hamburger we could find!

Ian
09-27-2008, 04:28 PM
No doubt the fireworks are better today than they were back when I was young.

I appreciate the ability to get a few more thrills on my trips, too. I like the addition of RRC, Everest, etc.

But without a doubt the biggest improvement for me is the food. Back in the day the food was horrendous. Bad pizza, lousy burgers, soggy fries. Today one of the highpoints of a trip for us is the food. We just love so many of the restaurant options they have available.