PDA

View Full Version : It's for a good cause...

biodtl
09-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Just venting. I am particpating in a walkathon tomorrow for juvenile diabetes (I have a sweet little relative who has it).

I haven't raised a ton of money, because I hate to ask it of people I know are struggling. but I am doind OK and know that every little bit helps.

What frustrates me is that I know a couple of other people who will be walking and they are always making comments about how much they have raised, etc (WAY more than me). It wouldn't bother me, except they say it in a competetive I am better than you way and it's annoying. And it's obvious that they check everyone's total on the online donation page. Just be happy that we're raising anything!

These folks live in wealthier areas and have wealthy friends. I do not. I'm glad to helping such a good cause, but I wish they would just look at it as a good deed rather than an opportunity to feel superior. People like that make me crazy!!

merlinmagic4
09-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Everything in life is a competition for some people. It's best to let it roll off your back and move on. Congrats for adding to the cause! Every little bit helps :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
09-19-2008, 04:29 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for doing the Walk! My DS8 has had type-1 diabetes for the last 2 1/2 years and we're in the process of raising funds for our area's Walk at the end of October. Every little bit counts, and just ignore the people who get their sense of self-worth from something like fundraising when the focus is supposed to be on the children (and adults) suffering with this disease. Know that you're appreciated even if you only raise $5!!! :number1:

biodtl
09-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks, guys! And good luck with YOUR walk, Chris. I know that there are a lot of good causes out there, and it's nice to be able to do something for one of them. There SHOULD be a cure, and hopefully our efforts will pay off and soon there will be.

Here we go again...
09-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Know that what you are doing is for a good cause. Do not let anything anyone else says bother you...
I lost my mother when she was 54 due to complications of Diabetes. I am thankful to anyone that gives of themselves to help find a cure for this horrible disease.
If you raise $1 or $100 know that the money is helping. :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
09-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Hold your head up. You are doing it for all the right reasons. They are doing it to brag! You have a pure heart.
Can't buy your way into heaven!
Have a great walk and good job!!!:number1:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Obviously they aren't very secure or they wouldn't feel the need to brag. A lot of people raising a little money does a lot of good. Keep up the good work!

Pop Centurion
09-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Don't worry about anyone else. The fact that you're raising money for a good cause regardless of the amount is a great thing.

RenDuran
09-20-2008, 09:01 AM
You're doing a great thing and noone should make you feel bad! Just ignore those types of comments. People that need to brag are just making themselves feel good.

Have a great walk!

Stitchahula
09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
As others have said they might be doing it so they can say see what I'm doing aren't I great. You are doing it to help the effort. As the woman that started the foundation that raises money for DBA has told me every little bit counts if it's only enough for stamps to send out mailings than that's mailings we wouldn't have been able to send without someone raising that money. Instead of thinking of it as an amount think of it as maybe envelopes or stamps for mailings. Every little bit counts. Your doing a good thing.

Momof2boys
09-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Our son (10) also has Type 1 diabetes and we just completed our walk - thank you for taking the time to raise money to help find a cure. I always feel that I could raise more, but you can only do what you can - especially in this economy.
And every cent is very much appreciated.