PDA

View Full Version : A tough couple weeks....

Jeff G
09-17-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm usually very upbeat but today I'm really down and need to share with someone.

A few weeks ago our puppy who was 11 months old got into the garbage in the garage. He was unattended for only a few minutes and when we found him he had dragged a few corn husks out. Initially we didn't think he had consumed any and for the next couple of days everything was normal. On the third morning we awoke to find him in his crate covered in vomit and lacking any energy. We took him to the vet right away but because of where the husk was lodged and the damage done we couldn't save him. This happened so fast and unexpectedly, we were in shock and was very tough on our kids.

Fast forward to yesterday. We also have a pug who is 13+ years old. A few months ago he started having occasional accidents in the house and his back end was starting to sag. Just a couple weeks ago the occasional accident started to become a daily and his walking was becoming wobbly. We knew that something wasn't quite right but with the trauma from the puppy we kept pushing off taking him in. I decided yesterday that I owed it to him to have it looked at. After spending less than a minute with the vet she advised that he had lost nerve feeling in the entire back of his body. I asked for the options and she advised that there weren't any medical options due to his age and that he would only continue to get worse and suffer. So yesterday I had to euthanize him.

I've had dogs my entire life but only three of them. I had my childhood dog from the early 80's to 1994. In 1995 my DW and I addeed the pug to our young family and then the puppy last November. Loosing one of them was tough but to loose both of them in a matter of weeks has been brutal.

If anyone can spare a little pixie dust for our family it would be appreciated.

kakn7294
09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Jeff, I'm so sorry about the dogs! I can truly feel your pain as we lost both of our cats earlier this year within 7 weeks of each other. :pixie: for healing for you and your family. Feel free to PM me if you need to vent.

RAIDER
09-17-2008, 11:43 AM
OMG loosing any pet is bad news but your situation must be a real blow ...

Theres nothing anyone can say ,apart from theyve
both had a good and loving home and you have done the only thing you could do ....:thumbsup:

SBETigg
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh, Jeff, I am so sorry. That really hurts. :pixie: for you and your family, and an extra :hug: for everyone.

DizNee143
09-17-2008, 11:51 AM
oh my..its hard enough losing one pet..but two so close to each other must be so hard! im soooo sorry for your loses...

disneymom15
09-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm so sorry for your lose. I remember how I felt when we had to put down our peekapoo.

TinkerbellT421
09-17-2008, 12:17 PM
I am so sorry for your losses. Last summer I had to put my baby to sleep. She was german shepard/husky mix, had her for 15 years. And she started to have the hip problems which caused her to become cranky and she started growling at people because of the pain she had in her legs. She could walk but not much. And when she did I could tell she was in pain she would kind of drag her bottom along until she was able to pull it up w/ force. I had to put her down but it took me weeks to get used to the idea that I had to. I dont know how it must have felt to have to put your puppy down so suddenly. I am so sorry. I hope things get better. I am sending pixie dust your way to help you....:pixie::pixie::pixie::tink:

Cinderelley
09-17-2008, 12:23 PM
It's so hard to lose furbabies. I too have had to deal with putting two down so close together. It's like a kick in the gut each time.

Prayers and pixie dust for your family.

Strmchsr
09-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Jeff, I know that was devastating. Lots of :pixie: for your family.

ChipDale2708
09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Jeff - I'm so sorry about losing your two pups so close together. I know how miserable you all feel. We just had to put our cat to sleep at the end of August. She was 18 1/2 and had a wonderful, cushy life. She was in severe kidney failure. Sending :pixie: for both of us.

RedSoxFan
09-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Jeff, so sorry for your loss.:(

Princess'Mom
09-17-2008, 01:41 PM
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear pets. I know it is extremely difficult to lose furry family members and it is especially difficult explaining "the why" to your children. I went through this a couple of years ago with one of our pets. My DD, who was 4 at the time, had a lot of questions about death and dying that needed answering. With time, the pain fades, but we still remember our loved lones.

Here is a little pixie dust your way! :pixie:

Tygger7
09-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Jeff, my heart breaks with you. My oldest pug died suddenly last week, and losing him has been devastating. I can't imagine the pain of losing 2 of my "kids" so close together. My prayers are with you and your family through this difficult time. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk or a shoulder to cry on. I know I've done my share of both the past week.

pogo
09-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Jeff... I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Been there... done that. It's like losing one of your children.

Marilyn Michetti
09-17-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm so sorry - this is a brutal blow. We lost our sweet Bassett, Bentley, almost 11 months ago from Valley Fever. I see him every morning, romping on my computer screen saver, and I miss him.

I hope you won't wait long to get another. Go to your local humane society, and look. One of them will end up taking you home.

God bless !:dog:

merlinmagic4
09-17-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm so sorry. :pixie: for your family. Our dogs are like family, too so I can imagine how awful this has been for you.

HollyB
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm so sorry! It is so hard to lose a pet, but losing both so close together is awful.

iheartmickey
09-17-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

jonsmom
09-17-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm usually very upbeat but today I'm really down and need to share with someone.

A few weeks ago our puppy who was 11 months old got into the garbage in the garage. He was unattended for only a few minutes and when we found him he had dragged a few corn husks out. Initially we didn't think he had consumed any and for the next couple of days everything was normal. On the third morning we awoke to find him in his crate covered in vomit and lacking any energy. We took him to the vet right away but because of where the husk was lodged and the damage done we couldn't save him. This happened so fast and unexpectedly, we were in shock and was very tough on our kids.

Fast forward to yesterday. We also have a pug who is 13+ years old. A few months ago he started having occasional accidents in the house and his back end was starting to sag. Just a couple weeks ago the occasional accident started to become a daily and his walking was becoming wobbly. We knew that something wasn't quite right but with the trauma from the puppy we kept pushing off taking him in. I decided yesterday that I owed it to him to have it looked at. After spending less than a minute with the vet she advised that he had lost nerve feeling in the entire back of his body. I asked for the options and she advised that there weren't any medical options due to his age and that he would only continue to get worse and suffer. So yesterday I had to euthanize him.

I've had dogs my entire life but only three of them. I had my childhood dog from the early 80's to 1994. In 1995 my DW and I addeed the pug to our young family and then the puppy last November. Loosing one of them was tough but to loose both of them in a matter of weeks has been brutal.

If anyone can spare a little pixie dust for our family it would be appreciated.

OMG, I just had to put our 13 year old lab down on Saturday night. I havent been able to stop crying for days. I couldn't imagine having lost two dogs.

Pixie Dust for both our families :(

jillluvsdisney
09-17-2008, 06:27 PM
That's really tough. I'm so sorry.

DisneyDog
09-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh, I am SO sorry!! How sad and tragic:(. This past December, I had to put my 13 year old corgi to sleep exactly one year to the day that I put my 14 year old corgi to sleep. December 21st will never be the same for me.

Piglet822
09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Jeff, I am so sorry :hug: I've also had dogs most of my life and I know the agony of losing one - they're part of the family.
Lots of :pixie: to you and your family to help you get through this.

MauiMouse
09-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Jeff, so sorry to hear about your dogs. They are a part of your family and when you loose them it's heart breaking. :(

pink
09-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Jeff, I know exactly how you're feeling. A couple of years ago we had 2 dogs (pug and a ****zue) and two cats (siamese and a mix). First the mix started to act strange and the vet told us to pet her down. Next the Siamese got sick and passed away on her own. Then my pug dog started to have liver failure and one morning he woke up and couldn't walk down the stairs. His skin turned yellow and he died in my arms. When your animals die it's like a family member passes, it's hard and I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you. My heart goes out to you and your family. :(

Jeff
09-17-2008, 08:23 PM
So very sad. The loss of a pet is very rough. I hope you and your family are able to work through your loss together.

disneydeb
09-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Jeff, I am so sorry to hear about this turn of events for you and your family. :hug:and :pixie: for healing.

DisneyWhirled
09-17-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm so sorry for all the pain your family has been through this last month.

Sending pixie dust that your hearts will feel full again soon! I wish you the best!

Jeff G
09-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words and pixie dust. It sure is great to have so many friends on Intercot. I am truly blessed to have found this site so many years ago and to have met all of you.

From the bottom of my heart thanks for being here for me.

TinkerbellT421
09-18-2008, 08:37 AM
No problem Jeff, Im still kind of a newbie. But I absolutely love you guys and the advice and all the discussions that go on. I hope I will someday get to be as close to all you guys as you guys are to each other. Someday :mickey:
I really hope you get thru everything :(
OM if you just need to talk, I might not know you, but I am still here for you and anyone else.

Dsnygirl
09-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Jeff, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your pups... what sad circumstances for both of them. We are in the process of dealing with similar issues to what your pug went through with one of our cats, and it is so hard -- esp. to know when the right "moment" is. But you did what was best for him, and showed how much you loved him by doing that, rather than watching him suffer. Sending pixie dust to you and your children -- I am so sorry you've had to go through this.

RenDuran
09-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Jeff, reading your post really makes me sad. So I can only imagine what it must be like for your family.

I'm glad there are people like you in the world that love animals so dearly. Those dogs obviously had a wonderful home with you and your family. I'm sorry you had to lose both of them so close together.

If you haven't done so already, find some special pictures of your dogs and frame them. I get a lot of comfort seeing pictures of pets I've loved in my lifetime.

Momof2boys
09-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Jeff - sending lots of :pixie: to your entire family. Losing a pet is never easy and your grief is doubled. Very sorry.