PDA

View Full Version : Disney Without the Kids

GrandFlo
09-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Need some help.....I'm feeling really guilty.....

We have been taking DS out of school since 1st grade to go to Disney. Now DS is in middle school and I feel he would miss too much work. Actually, DS even mentioned that as much as he wants to go, that maybe "it isn't such a good idea". He has seven different teachers and to get all of them to agree to give the work ahead of time probably wouldn't work.

Here's the problem.....We have our 15th wedding anniversary trip planned for the third week in November. My Mom and SIL can watch DS in our home. DS isn't thrilled, but he's ok with us going without him. We plan to make it up with a week long trip during President's week.

DS is 11, and we have never gone away without him. This may sound mean, but DH and I would like a vacation alone.

For all those who went to Disney without the kids, did you feel quilty?

Sorry for the long rant, but I feel real crummy about going without DS.

Thanks!

Tinkerfreak
09-16-2008, 06:17 PM
DH and I did a long weekend trip in April 07 without the kids. We did feel a bit guilty at first but I have to admit it bothered us more than it bothered the kids. We did think about them alot on the trip, like when we saw something we knew they would like etc. We did enjoy ourselves though. It was nice to do what we wanted to do without worrying about the kids. We enjoyed looking in alot of shops etc that they just never enjoy looking in so we always feel rushed.
I am so glad that we did the trip when we had the chance because my Mom is no longer able to stay with them so we won't have a kid free trip for a long time.
Go and enjoy it. It's not like you are not taking your son back. I'm sure he will understand your need for some time alone.
He will be spoiled by his auntie and grammy so he may enjoy the week as much as you.

CAS
09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I felt odd the first time, too but it really is us who feels worse about it. My parents never went on a single vacation without us and now I question why. :D I would've loved to be without the parents for a week.

It's really good to get away once in a while. I like to do something once a year even if it's just for a weekend with the 2 of us. We love the kids but we also enjoy being by ourselves every now and again. :mickey:

MickeyMomof2
09-16-2008, 07:00 PM
My husband is going on a business trip to WDW next March, and I am going with him. We are leaving our kids at home. We are going to try to make them feel better by telling them that we will go as a family for 10 days in December (we wouldn't be able to stay that long in March AND Dad will be in meetings).

I am getting really excited about it because I am going to do the Keys to the Kingdom tour. That's something I wouldn't be able to do if the kids were with us because they aren't old enough.

It sounds like your son is handling it well. Go, have fun, and bring him home a great souvenir!

jrkcr
09-16-2008, 07:12 PM
DH mentions going to WDW w/o kids, but I think it would feel weird. I am a stay home mom, home school them, etc-so I am with them 24/7!!
So a vacation w/o them sounds kinda nice...but I can't even imagine any vacation with just the 2 of us. Last time we went anywhere w/o them was in 1996.

But my parents went on plenty of vacations w/o me, and I never cared. So maybe.....

c&d
09-17-2008, 09:55 AM
We celebrated our 10th at Disney leaving DS with Grandma and Aunt. We felt a little bad when we were leaving but once we got down we had a great time. We enjoyed the F&W festival and had some wonderful special dinners at the festival. It allowed us to enjoy adult disney for a trip. Having said that, it's really a more fun having DS with us.

GrmGrninGost
09-17-2008, 07:36 PM
DW and I went for our anniversary a few years back and left DS and DD with her parents.
We talked to them and explained we needed some time together. They were not exactly thrilled with the idea, but they agreed to it. I have not felt the least bit guilty about it. DW and I had a great time! There is no place like WDW to spend a few days and reconnect! I'm hopeful we will have the opportunity to do this again in the next year or two!

GrandFlo
09-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Thank you all so much for the replies. I'm feeling better about going and think this would be good for me and DH.

Jeri Lynn
09-19-2008, 04:12 PM
I have gone on "girls trips" and just "DH and I" trips many times. Do I feel guilty...absolutely not. I'm not saying that while I'm on vacation that I don't get a twinge and say to myself I wish the kids were here, but it isn't a big twinge. We have four kids and they have all been to Disney multiple times, in addition to other snowmobiling vacations we take.

And our kids do not mind, I've never heard them complain about not going with us.

Go and enjoy your vacation and your anniversary!! Disney without kids can be fun, you don't have to worry about anyone but yourselves!

Jasper
09-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Yes, you will feel guilty when you first get there. Yes, you will find things that you wish you could share with your son. Yes, it will feel weird at first without your son. And yes, you should go ahead and go without your son!

Would you and your spouse be willing to take a trip elsewhere without your son? I have to assume that the answer is yes so if that is the case then why would you not take a trip to WDW without your son, especially since your son seems to have such a mature attitude about it? We have done solo trips on a couple of occasions and found that it helped the kids to understand that it is OK for other people to get to do things even if they don't. So go, be aware that you will have all the normal emotions that everyone else has but, try to put those emotions aside and focus on a great trip between you and your spouse!

divinedi
09-20-2008, 11:59 AM
As others have said, yes you will feel guilty when you get there for a little bit, I even had a bit of a crying spell, just a little bit:crying:, when we first got to the room and started unpacking, but when we got moving and doing things, and seeing all the parents with crying kids, or unhappy teenagers (mine were teens by the time we went alone, and they have been several times since, and I've never had the sullen teenager problem thankfully!) we quickly felt much better! We got to go where we wanted to go, hold hands without the oooooooh Mom looks, have nice quiet dinners for as long, or short as we wanted to etc. etc. and just take our time enjoying Disneyworld and each other's company. I missed them for sure, but it was a wonderful trip, after that initial little down time! GO, have fun, you won't regret it!!

mickey&missy
09-21-2008, 03:11 PM
DH and I are going to WDW in March for 4 days to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I do feel a bit guilty about it, but our kids, at least the 2 older ones (the youngest is 15 months) really seem ok with it.They do realize that we are taking a family trip the beginning of Jan and also that it's good for Mommy and Daddy to spend time alone together.

DH and I are very excited about the trip! We get to play by our roles and not worry about the kiddos!

pixiesmimi
09-22-2008, 09:03 PM
This is a little different take on it but DH and I went alone for the first time last August for our Anniversary, our 38th Anniversary! :) This was the first trip we have ever taken to WDW without our children or grandchildren. DH thinks that it is a children's park and you don't need to go if you aren't taking your children. I talked him into going with just the two of us. Totally changed his mind. I did feel guilty the first couple of days that we didn't have some of the kids with us everytime I saw a character or something I knew they would want to do but got over that quickly. We had so much fun doing and seeing "everything" especially the things we wouldn't do with the little ones. I even rode the roller coasters with him which I don't normally do. We had so much fun that we are going again, alone, next year for our 40th anniversary. So, yes, take your trip and don't be like us and wait so long to take a trip alone. :thumbsup: