PDA

View Full Version : hall of presidents/carousel of progress closing?

Joannelet
09-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Can someone please tell me if this is just a rumor or if they got the information wrong....but a cast member told me that the carousel of progress and the hall of presidents is closing?
Is this closing forever or for refurbishment?
How can they close those two attractions????
Those two have Walt written all over them!!!
I will be sooooooooo upset if they are closing for good.....
please cast members reply to this post!!! :mad:

TBY2225
09-16-2008, 03:46 PM
I am not a cast member, but I have seen on other websites as well as heard on DIsney podcast that the Hall of Presidents is getting a refab and adding the new president elected in Nov. I haven't heard anything new about CoP, but it seems like that rumor has been around for ages!

Imagineer1981
09-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Its been rumored that they are closing for a long time. HOP is closing in Sept (i think) for refurb but COP is not closing anytime soon

mcjaco
09-16-2008, 04:40 PM
They're changing up HOP. It's going to revolve around Lincoln, and the current president will not speak any longer, only sit or stand like the other past presidents.

This last administration was garnering either cheers or jeers during the show, so they've decided to remove that portion completely. A wise idea, as I don't think anyone will boo a Lincoln speech. Regardless of your party affiliation. ;)

Mackflava99
09-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Isnt that sad-
We as US citizens Boo our presidents at an amusement park....
Especially at such a great animatronics show like HOP-
Regarless of your party you should support whomever is in office- If you are an american
Very, very sad...

disneygeek84
09-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Isn't that sad-
Regardless of your party you should support whomever is in office- If you are an American
Very, very sad...

:ditto:

Very well said.

broadway_chick72
09-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Isnt that sad-
Regarless of your party you should support whomever is in office- If you are an american
Very, very sad...

Yeah it is. It's sad and embarrassing, I believe.

Anyway, as everyone else has said, HOP is just going to get changed around. I haven't heard anything about COP....but I hear all the time that it's closing down. Honestly, I thought they closed that last year.

EvilQueen2006
09-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Isnt that sad-
Very, very sad...

Although I disagree that we, as Americans, should support whatever president we have simply for the fact that they are our president, I agree that Boo-ing an animatronic figure is pretty silly.

DizneyRox
09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
This last administration was garnering either cheers or jeers during the show, so they've decided to remove that portion completely.
Actually, it started before this current administration, which is, as other have said, a sad sign on our current world. Sounds like a good thing to remove the current President's part, but just antoher one of those "a few bad seeds spoil it for everybody".

GusNJacque
09-16-2008, 07:12 PM
As someone who works in national politics it does greatly sadden me. You don't have to support the person in office you HONOR the office of the President.

So is it fact that they are not going to have the current President speak from here on out. It's been like that as long as I can remember. It makes me :mad: it won't be like that any more.

jillluvsdisney
09-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I know the HOP is closing in early November to make plans for the next President. I had to break this news to Mom the other day that we would not be seeing it during our December visit.:(

Carol
09-16-2008, 08:50 PM
You can stay current on closures here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/refurb.asp).

KAT1811
09-16-2008, 09:36 PM
We missed HOP on our last trip and it looks like we will miss it again this trip. :(

Hopefullt they never get rid of COP that is a true Disney classic and I would hate to see it go. An update of the last scene would be fun but to remove the attraction all together would deeply sadden me.

Joannelet
09-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Thank you so much everyone for replying to this message. I agree with the people who said that its ridiculous to BOO ANY American President. Its sad that because of idiots in this world that they have to change that the current president speaks.
I am so glad however to hear that it isn't closing that its just for refurbishment! THat is what I was hoping!!! I mean c'mon out of everyone Walt was VERY involved with politics!!! This attraction should NEVER close!!!
The carousel of progress was and is one of my favs since I was little. :) I do agree that they need to update the end a bit since somethings have already come into play. But I hope they never get rid of it. :( I just don't understand how they can get rid of something that Walt had taken to the Worlds Fair? Its historic for the Disney parks....
Thank you sooo much everyone for replying! I was so upset yesterday when I heard this info!! I was hoping that it wasn't true!!

LarryBoy
09-17-2008, 09:08 AM
I too am sad of the changes. I have often disagreed with several presidents, and I haven't always liked their policies or decisions, but I will respect the position and office.
On a side note, I was very proud of the fact that my then 6 year old DS really enjoyed the HOP on our trip last year. He even wanted his picture taken with the bust of President Bush.

yjgirl32
09-17-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm glad they are not getting rid of either ride. I think Walt would be very disappointed if they did. My mom will be so happy that she will be able to see her two favorite rides next year.

pandkx3
09-17-2008, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=GusNJacque;1741448]As someone who works in national politics it does greatly sadden me. You don't have to support the person in office you HONOR the office of the President.

BeccaO
09-17-2008, 09:44 AM
As someone who works in national politics it does greatly sadden me. You don't have to support the person in office you HONOR the office of the President.

So is it fact that they are not going to have the current President speak from here on out. It's been like that as long as I can remember. It makes me :mad: it won't be like that any more.

I totally agree, and I hope that in the future when I visit The Hall Of Presidents I am never forced to be in the same show as someone who chooses to dis-respect the whole idea of that show. It would really upset me if that were to happen. It's sad that people choose to act the way they do in situations like that. This is one of my favorite attractions as well as COP.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Hall of Presidents is undergoing refurb while we are there in December, but not sure about CoP....-its totally disrespectful to ruin an attraction for everyone, so sad:(

Someone great once said, even at its worst, American government is the best in the world-its all about Freedom

TheWizofDiz
09-17-2008, 12:39 PM
I would have to agree with many on this post. HOP is going down for the new prez rehab and COP occasionally is closed for short periods when attendance is typically lower. I feel these are two classic shows and they are both a great place to rest and get out of the heat...

DigitalDaredevil
09-18-2008, 02:32 AM
If you do not like a certain president, you should show your disdain through your vote, not through an amusement park attraction where the only person to hear your comments would be amusement park patrons who are there to enjoy the show.
Regardless of your affiliation or thoughts on any president, HOP is not the place to express it.
You may disagree with someone, but you should still show them respect, no matter who they are.

Disney Doll
09-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Although I disagree that we, as Americans, should support whatever president we have simply for the fact that they are our president, I agree that Boo-ing an animatronic figure is pretty silly.

I actually like the idea of the show revolving around Lincoln. I haven't seen HOP in a while so I'll be looking forward to the changes.

KAT1811
09-18-2008, 09:31 PM
You may disagree with someone, but you should still show them respect, no matter who they are.

Unfortunately many people are unable to respect anyone these days. If only we could all agree to disagree.

thrillme
09-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Isnt that sad-
Very, very sad...

I'm a little tired of HOP. I admit...the first time I went it was interesting because I never saw animates before...least not with the detail that Disney had. But after that...I grew bored with it. I admit that "I" along with a number of other people I witnessed used the place to catch a quick 20 minute nap. I actually dreamed that it was turned into a "Napin' Place". A room full of cots that you rent for a couple of bucks and hour.

I NEVER boo'd an "animated" president (nor a real one for that matter). That is just plain stupid and embarrassing. It's not a place for "political" issues. Some people think they are so funny in their own minds.

It's probably time for the place to go. Even Disney himself said something to the effect of "Keep Moving Forward".

COP probably just needs updateing...you can't keep the same things year after year when they focus on "technology".

goon29
09-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Isnt that sad-
Very, very sad...

I disagree! That's what being American is all about. As Jeffferson himself said "dissent is the greatest form of patriotism".

Booing a Disney attaction however... unacceptable!

EditReject
09-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I disagree! That's what being American is all about. As Jeffferson himself said "dissent is the greatest form of patriotism".

Booing a Disney attaction however... unacceptable!

Well said. The HOP is there to educate and entertain and honor the position of the American President and it does just that and Bush's speech reflects that. Unfortunately it can be difficult to separate one's own views from the entertainment of the attraction. Booing is uncalled for. There are many other avenues to express yourself (which makes out country so great) but at a Disney attraction is not one of them. I for one think Bush is leaving the country in shambles as he leaves office, but I still respect him and the Presidency and I am glad we have something like the HOP that does that.

Mad About Mickey
09-21-2008, 08:43 AM
We are excited to see that COP is open this time when we go in December :thumbsup:. It was closed the last two trips we have made so three of our four children have never experienced it and my DW and I have never experienced the song from the original COP. We are actually bummed that HOP will be closed during our upcoming visit :(. HOP was something that both DW and I had seen numerous times growing up but never got around to taking the children to due to other attractions taking priority. When we were planning the trip this summer our DD 11 was actually psyched to see HOP, go fiqure?

I don't see HOP closing because it is Liberty Square where it's theme is well placed and it's subdued style and older technology is acceptable. Unless they decide to eventually scuttle LIberty Square for some other theme, then all bets are off. COP does seem endangered though. It seems that during slow seasons the attraction is closed and with the rest of Tomorrowland having been updated COP may not be part of the future vision. Though for my two cents I'd rather see the speedway get replaced or seriously upgrade first. What local family amusement park doesn't have a similar ride that is better than Disneys. Thankfully our kids will get to experience COP before its to late, not so lucky with Toad's Wild Ride :(.

Wayne
09-21-2008, 08:57 PM
While I haven't heard for sure that HOP will be changed so that the current President no longer speaks, I don't see this as a bad change. You see, up until the show was updated to include President Clinton, the only President to speak was Mr. Lincoln. So, if the rumor is true, for once, an attraction will be returned to its original form.

Goofy4TheWorld
09-21-2008, 09:24 PM
While I haven't heard for sure that HOP will be changed so that the current President no longer speaks, I don't see this as a bad change. You see, up until the show was updated to include President Clinton, the only President to speak was Mr. Lincoln. So, if the rumor is true, for once, an attraction will be returned to its original form.

I agree with this. While I haven't seen HOP but twice (once during Clinton, and once during Bush 43) I had wondered whether or not the current President always spoke in years past. I didn't care for it either time. Like it or not, the current (or recently) President speaking will always chance trouble.