PDA

View Full Version : Jobs from Home?

MushuGrl
09-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi all! Need some advice. I have a full-time job, but I'm needing extra income bad, especially with winter heating bills around the corner. I live in a small town, and am very lucky to have A job - finding a second job is impossible.

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for "at-home" jobs? I've been searching the net and all I seem to find are scams.

SBETigg
09-16-2008, 01:35 PM
I can't help much. If it was easy to find reliable work from home, I think a lot more people would be trying it. Most people I know who work from home do so on a part time arrangement they've developed with their employers after establishing a successful office/out of home work relationship. I write. It works for me but it's not steady or reliable income. I've been fortunate to enjoy a fair amount of success that brings more stability but it took years to break in and really establish myself and my position in the business is always shaky.

I can tell you that it takes more discipline to work at home than to leave the house and work for someone else. It has its perks, definitely. But one of the drawbacks is that you have to be firm about drawing the line at what hours are work hours and when you're free to do other stuff. I live close to relatives and everyone assumes I'm always available because I'm home. Best wishes with finding something and setting up!

Boojum
09-16-2008, 01:49 PM
A very good friend of mind does medical transcription from home. She can pretty much set her own hours and vacation days. However, there is some training required and you have to be sure you have a very up-to-date computer system and printer.

offwego
09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
What kind of skills and hours do you have available to work? Could you consider a paper route? I know that's not exactly what you wanted but it may work. And while I have no idea of your age what about babysitting on weekends or house sitting for pets? Could you do after hours cleaning for business?

MushuGrl
09-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Funny you said that because I actually work for the newspaper! LOL! I have a regular 8-5 job, sometimes actually shorter hours than that as we tend to knock off earlier at the end of the week to make up for the extra hours we put in at the beginning (we hit the streets every Wednesday).

Thanks for the replies!

offwego
09-16-2008, 09:13 PM
so given the 8-5 what about the cleaning idea? Many companies need folks for that between 6ish and normally 10 would that perhaps work for you? Also do you have a college near by? Could you do proof reading for students or similiar?

Princess'Mom
09-17-2008, 01:33 PM
How about e-bay? A lot of people seem to make a living at selling or re-selling items?