PDA

View Full Version : Considering Gastric Bypass or lapband

Dznygrl79
09-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Has anyone had weight loss surgery? I am strogly considering it I am 98 pounds over weight and it is effecting my health. What can you tell me about the process? What helped make your decision? And what is you life like now? Please give me any info you can, also was it a fight to get your insurance company to cover it?

Strmchsr
09-16-2008, 08:41 AM
I have not personally had it, but a couple of friends and several folks in my congregations have had it. Even though most of them lost some weight as a result I've yet to find one who's truly happy they did it. The side effects/risks tend to create much more trouble than is helped by the weight loss.

My sister and I have both been very successful with Nurtisystem and there's other great weight loss programs out there that will be better for you in the long run. Sure, it requires much more self-discipline and isn't always as fast, but it's much better for your body.

RenDuran
09-16-2008, 11:16 AM
My cousin-in-law had gastric bypass because her obesity gave her sleep apnea. She's lost about 110 pounds in the past year.

While the weight loss has helped her sleep apnea immensely, she has problems with eating. She still has to be oh-so-careful about what she eats and how much. She gets ill very easily and it's not pretty!

Have you honest and truly tried other ways to lose weight? It is considered a last resort.

pandkx3
09-16-2008, 06:15 PM
As a rn, I've had patients that have had this surgery (gastric bypass, not lapband). It is a very serious surgery with very serious complications. Please be aware that your lifestyle will forever be changed. I'm sure that you've done your research and discussed everything with your md. Good luck with whatever your decision may be.:thumbsup:

tinklover
09-16-2008, 06:21 PM
I actually have an Info session sheduled at Johns Hopkins for Oct 21st. my doc has sent the referal and this is teh first step i must go thru . It will answer any questions i may have and then once it is done i will revieve my consultaion appointment. if you would like i can pm you and let you know how thing went then and how they continue to go? almost like a step by step process so you can know with out having to go thru it first? does that make sense?

jillluvsdisney
09-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I know people who have had it done with good results. My sister worked with a woman who had it done in the hospital they worked in and she passed away from complications.

I was 140 lbs over weight and looked into it. I was denied. I decided to make life style changes in eating and fitness and have lost 50lbs so far. So I am about in the same boat (weight wise) you are now. I still enjoy food in moderation but cardio and weight training has been wonderful.

I do know that patients who have had it done have to be very vigilant about getting enough nutrition from the small amount of food they can digest. If you eat the wrong things, like sugar or fat, you get very, very sick.

I really wish you the best of luck no matter what choice you make.

DisneyDog
09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I know two people who have done this. One is doing wonderfully well. The other, a girl I went to school with, sadly, passed away from complications. She was in her 30's.

SpecJoe Magic
09-17-2008, 01:08 AM
My wife was 110 lbs. overweight, and she lost it all on Weight Watchers in a little less than 2 years. I joined her after I saw her success, and I've lost 50 lbs. so far in a little less than a year. We've had to change our eating habits considerably, but we are very happy that we did. It's not a fast option, but it's safe and healthy. We both enjoy moderate amounts of delicious food, and we rarely feel hungry because we make the effort to eat things that are filling as opposed to empty calories. We've both gotten to the point where we don't even crave greasy, high calorie foods anymore, and we've discovered foods that are healthy and taste good. We try to stick as close to the program guidelines as possible, but it has even taught us how to make better food choices in situations where we can't follow the program exactly.

I don't know anything about the surgery, but 98 lbs. doesn't sound extreme to the point that surgery is your only option. Changing your eating habits and adding more exercise in your life is a far better option. It might be difficult at first, but it does get a lot easier after doing it for a while.

Scar
09-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Even though most of them lost some weight as a result I've yet to find one who's truly happy they did it. The side effects/risks tend to create much more trouble than is helped by the weight loss.

It is a very serious surgery with very serious complications.

My sister worked with a woman who had it done in the hospital they worked in and she passed away from complications.

If you eat the wrong things, like sugar or fat, you get very, very sick.

The other, a girl I went to school with, sadly, passed away from complications. She was in her 30's.I just felt it was important to highlight these experiences. Good luck in whatever you decide.

thrillme
09-18-2008, 05:14 PM
We had a gentleman here at work that passed away from complications.

I had another friend who's wife had it. She lost 60 lbs right away...had a problem processing fatty foods...they made her sick. They got insurance to pay for it but it was quite a fight. If I remember you had to be OVER 100 in order to qualify for insurance to help.

In the meantime I've had a friend lose about 155 on an Atkins/South Beach styled diet. She ate 6 small meals a day and gave up "high carb foods" like bread, pasta and white potatoes. It worked really quickly for her too. She's kept it off for about 2 years now.

I'm all for what she went on but I absolutely love "white" foods.

Other diets that include "food" for a price are kinda nice too but...as soon as your on your own...your old diet habits start up again.

Unfortunately there's no EASY way you've got to dedicate yourself to it. The lap band sounds good but too many people still have complications.

MythicalMermaid
09-22-2008, 03:02 PM
:marg:I had the weight loss surgery in 2003 and lost about 120 lbs.. It was one of the best things I ever could've done for myself. I am a whole new person. Extremely happy with the outcome, and I had NO complications at all. And yes, my insurance covered everything in regards to the surgery.
My whole family has had the surgery and we have done very well in adjusting to the new way of eating. And to date, we have all kept the weight off.

I hope this helps you in your decision.:mickey:

handmaidenofprincesses
09-22-2008, 09:23 PM
I really don't know anything about gastric bypass, but I thought I'd throw another option out there... I started going through hypnosis therapy last year and I lost 57 pounds so far without really changing my lifestyle that much. it was pretty easy... it just sort of happened subconciously, which i suppose is what hypnosis is all about. i used positive changes hypnosis center (it's a national chain) just be sure to check your local center's credentials- mine turned out to be price gouging with falsified documents and they got shut down by the state. still, it worked!

mrsgaribaldi
09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
DH had gatric bypass in 2002. If you were to ask him, I think he would say he regrets it. He can't eat like a regular person, always has to have small amounts and no red meat really at all. For some reason he can't keep it down. He used to throw up alot but not really anymore.
I would say that with only 98 pounds to lose (dh had hundreds), you might want to try further dieting. I know alot of people who Nutrisystem worked for. Good look. If you want to ask DH any questions directly, his name on here is garguy. Send him a pm:mickey: Good luck.

SteveL
09-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I know at least 8 people who had had bypass surgery. They all lost tremendous amounts of weight as long as they followed the program. One nearly died.
Looking at all of them a few years later, ALL have ballooned back up. Two in particualr eat like Ms. Pacman all day long.
I think that the key is to first address the question as to the reason you are eating before you consider surgery. II firmly believe if you have unresolved issues you will be doomed to failure in the long run.
It isn't an easy fix.
I alsways used to say that if there was a surgery that would make me thin I'd have it in a heartbeat. Well now there is and I wouldn't even consider it.
Just my thoughts on the matter.