PDA

View Full Version : Illuminations Remembered

MaxPower
09-16-2008, 12:30 AM
I may be in the minority, but Illuminations took a turn for the worse when the original version was scrapped and the globe was introduced with the newer version.

The original Illuminations used to be wonderful when each country was lit individually as a well-known song from that country was played (For example, The Can Can was played while France was illuminated).

I always got chills when the all of the countries had been illuminated and then all of their lights were dimmed so that the USA could have its turn. The American Adventure was then illuminated to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. And there is no better song to choreograph fireworks to than Rhapsody in Blue.

I loved how visiting foreigners would cheer when their country had its turn.

I loved the cuckoo clock at the end of Germany's song which always made the crowd laugh.

I loved how children and parents alike would clap to the music that they recognized from each country, most of which were VERY well-known classic songs.

And the fireworks at the end were true representations of what World Showcase is supposed to be: Celebrating each country as an individual, but then coming together as one united world in the end.

As a terrific final touch, after the final blast of fireworks, a spinning globe was projected onto Spaceship Earth with lasers as guests exited the park and an instrumental version of "It's a Small World" played throughout the park speakers.

I will take Gershwin, humor, national pride and some of the best music the world has ever known over a video globe and canned Disney singers any day of the week.

Melanie
09-16-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm with you. I totally agree!

mickey&missy
09-16-2008, 05:25 AM
I think you may find your not in the minority.

I, for one, never saw the original version. But, you description of it was beautiful! I would have loved to have seen it!

I've heard and seen several discussions that the original was so much better!

RobWreck
09-16-2008, 11:06 AM
The current version of Illuminations was a great change for the millenium... just like putting the '2000' on the globe. However, it's time has come and gone, and I think that it's time to return to something closer to what you describe, where each country gets lit up and acknowledged. I think that they can keep some of the current show elements and update some of the original ones... (I do like the torch in the globe the current show has...)
Rob

Darbylew
09-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Enjoyed reading your post. We are going back
in October so we will be sure not to miss it.

Dyanna
09-16-2008, 12:11 PM
I am with you. I remember seeing 2x the old version which was much nicer than the current. Hope they go back to it sometime as I would love to see it again.

Imagineer1981
09-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I couldn't agree more with your point, but I wonder if they went with the new version with the globe so that they could have a more centralized view for all guests. With the countries being "illuminated" if you were standing in France sometimes it was hard to see Japan and etc. By having it more focused on the glode in the middle, you could stand anywhere and have a great view...

MaxPower
09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm glad that there are others who remember the original version and agree that it was better.

Another part of the original I enjoyed was that as each country was introduced, there were spotlights all around the lagoon that would start by shining skyward and then they would all simultaneously lower their beams and aim at the next country that was going to be illuminated as a drumroll played. There was actually a "sense of expectation" as people tried to figure out which country would be presented next. I remember one little boy who kept asking his grandma "when are they going to do Italy?"

The original version had a feel that was more participatory than observational.