PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Barbeque

Disdaddy
09-15-2008, 03:57 PM
How is Mickey's Backyard BBQ?
We have a two year old girl.

Goes4FastPass
09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Details are located here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dinnershows.asp#BBQ).

Honestly, I don't know if I've ever seen a positive review on this forum. Most people seem to complain about the cost to value ratio.

casey@bat
09-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Nobody really ever comments on the BBQ and nobody ever comments on the Safari Celebration Dinner either. But I heard the SCD was great.

I don't know anyone who has been to the BBQ.

jonahbear2006
09-19-2008, 10:50 AM
I refuse to go and pay that price for that menu. From what I have heard from people in the parks and learned at WDW is if you go to a character meal that is going to cost you two TSes then prepare to be disappointed. But I think some people like the show that is put on by the barbeque. I am just not impressed with what they advertise.

Diz-Knee
11-23-2008, 02:50 PM
We went last April with our two year old son and we had a blast. Is the food great? Not really but it isn't the worst I've had either. Beer and wine is served and flows freely. Ribs, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. All the mickey ice cream you want. What I liked about it was the character interaction - my son got to get on the dance-floor and dance with all the characters. The show isn't the most entertaining for adults. I will be returning.

Before we went into the pavilion for dinner they had activities for the kids such as sidewalk chalk, games, etc. If you anyone would like to view a few of our pictures just send me a message and I will be happy to share for you to get an idea of what to expect.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Haven't been there as a guest, but I've worked it a few times and I've tasted the food (though my opinion on that isn't great because it's usually the leftovers and cold by the time we get to eat it). I liked the salad, the potatoes, mac and cheese and the hot dogs. They have red powerade, which makes us Entertainment cast happy since we only ever get yellow. As previously stated, unlimited drinks and ice cream bars, both Mickey, Strawberry Bars, Itzakadoozies, and others.

It's not your usual character meal - what you pay for is the performers who are equity, contracted artists, singers, and dancers, not the characters. Essentially, you're at a dinner show, not a character meal like LTT, CM, GG, or others like that. You are not guaranteed to meet any of the characters, nor autographs or photos. The characters are there to dance and have fun, and in between dancing, Mickey and Minnie will roam the room and say hello, quick photos and maybe autographs for a short period before getting ready to dance again.

If the characters come by and you aren't at the table, don't have the camera on and ready to take a photo, and don't have the autograph book open, pen ready and in hand...then 99.99999999% of the time...Mickey and Minnie will just wave, quick hug and walk by. They have less than 20 minutes to complete the entire room.....the longer one person takes, the less people overall who will see them.

It's not a regular character meal...if you want to be guaranteed a photo and autograph...eat somewhere else.

I would love to eat there as a guest, it seems like so much fun and I love the shows (from what I see of them...). I'm just poor as anything!

disneykidsince1970
01-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Hi there! I just saw your offer to share photos and more personal experiences about the backyard bbq. We have a 4yo and a 2yo... they love to dance - I can see the dancing as the big draw - the pregames you mention also a plus..we are actually going to stay at the cabins at FW anyway...

My hubby will of course complain about the pricing but we will agree a moratorium on price complaints once we set foot on property!:cool:

I would love to see your pix and any other comments you have - can kids dance the whole time? or..only for a 20 min period when invited up?

THANKS!!

Laughin' place
01-16-2009, 01:43 PM
now, this was several years ago.....
My now ex-wife took me and the kids here for my birthday. I am a Disney fanatic, love the characters, and have camped many times at the Fort.
It was my ONLY bad WDW experience in something like 12-15 trips. I mean, nightmarish, at least for me.
Food substandard (and I am not a food snob, I would love something from Starlight Cafe on this -15 degree day), games and activities poor, entertainment...some bad line dances with characters and cast members. To this day, my sons tease me about it.
Please keep an open mind. I would probably trust more recent experiences, over mine. But at the same time, research and consider -- I paid pretty well for my only bad WDW story

tys_mommy
03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
never done the bbq but for those interested in dancing with the characters I can't sing high enough praises about the dance party at Hollywood Studios during the evening EMH. The characters aren't designated and they rotate throughout the night but it was soooo awesome, the characters move freely with the crowd with no handlers - how often can you get pictures of your family doing the electric slide with the big cheese himself. When we went there were also 2 people off to the side making balloon animals/flowers/hats for all the kids - how often do you get something for free at Disney.

Thumper_ehhhhh
03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Our kids ages 7 and 5 at the time had a blast. Lots of younger kids too. All ages for that fact. Everyone had a good time. You sit at a picnic table and you walk up to get food at the buffet. Beer and wine is also included. The kids get to dance with the characters and sing along. We though it was worth the meal voucher.

TammiMcMan
04-22-2009, 07:00 PM
We went years ago, when our youngest two were 10 and 3. The 3 year old loved dancing but was terrified of the characters. The 10 year old spent every second on the dance floor. I'm not sure how much it's changed, but back then, we entered the pavilion and found a picnic table, then went up to the food line. The band came on and there was plenty of dancing. The characters arrived and there was more dancing.

The kids definitely had a much better time than the parents and we would never do it again, but I'm glad we did it once and we still laugh watching the home movies.