PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in Disney

starflyer59
09-15-2008, 11:57 AM
I really love to ride bicycles and always think about how cool it would be to cycle around the resort.

I know there are miles and miles of paved trails at the resorts. but what about cycling on the main roads?

The busses are kind of scary and the traffic can be bad.

Anyone ever go riding around the property on their bikes?

KylesMom
09-15-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't know that Disney would allow cycling on the main roads. There is no shoulder or sidewalk to speak of around most of the parks, and I can only imagine the danger you'd be in with all of the tourists and busses alike. It's my understanding that security disallows walking where there aren't physical walkways - and I can only assume bikes would follow the same rules. Now I'm positive you can cycle at Fort Wilderness, but I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for!

TheRustyScupper
09-15-2008, 01:55 PM
1) Bicycles are not permitted on WDW roadways.
2) They are permitted at some of the resorts (eg. WL/FW, OKW, SSR).
3) Fortunately, my Harley is allowed.

A Big Kid
09-16-2008, 08:13 AM
BAD idea. Bad Bad Bad idea. I am a cyclist. I love to ride my bike. I would NEVER ride my bike on a roadway in a tourist area. there are way too many people driving in an unfamiliar area, looking at maps and making sudden movements at the behest of their equally unfamiliar "navigator."

Dont do it.

WDWdriver
09-16-2008, 09:26 AM
There are no bike lanes or wide shoulders on WDW roads. Traffic moves fast and takes up all available roadway. Also, as stated above, many of the vehicles are driven by tourists who are often distracted. I would never try it.

TheRustyScupper
09-16-2008, 02:05 PM
. . . as stated above, many of the vehicles are driven by tourists who are often distracted . . .

1) I find employees are worse drivers than tourists.
2) Many tourists are slower and more cautious as they try follow signs.
3) Employees zip around tourists and are more of a hazard.
4) Employees also seem to speed more than tourists.

NOTE: Disney signed an agreement with the sheriff to patrol WDW roads for speeders. They ticket far more employees than tourists.