PDA

View Full Version : Give the Kids the world

chichi1515
09-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know if Give the Kids the world is considered an on site property? My daugther has been chosen and I was just wondering about EMH. Any other suggestions for us would be great. My daughter is in a wheel chair( I still can Transfer)........

disneylou
09-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I can't answer whether it is considered on property or not, but what a wonderful organization!! A guy that I work with was telling me that his grandaughter was also chosen for Give Kids the World. Her family got to go in July. I do know that they were given a rental car to drive, so they had transportation everywhere that they wanted to go. They also had front of the line access to all attractions, so EMH wouldn't be necessary. They never had to wait in line, they just showed a button they had on their shirts!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't believe so. But usually, with GKTW, you get a GAC that says to "expedite your experience."

Essentially, you should have no problems doing just about everything for the parks.

Hayden's Dad
09-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey chichi1515, we are going on Hayden's Make-A-Wish trip in 20 days!!!! Sorry just a little excited.

My understanding is that GKTW is not considered an "onsite" property. Are you staying there or on property somewhere else, we couldn't get in to GKTW so they are putting us up on site. Everyone else is right as far as expediteing your lines. They give you buttons, plus the GAC to help it's not always front of the line, but it is essintially a continuous fast pass.

This will be Hayden's 4th time to WDW and he just turned 2 and a half and he is also in a wheelchair, and has several other developmental handicapps so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, and of course I will be making a report when we get back.

When are you going? :mickey::mickey:

TheRustyScupper
09-15-2008, 01:37 PM
. . . we couldn't get in to GKTW so they are putting us up on site . . .

1) Is is truly a shame you can't stay at GKTW.
2) It is such a great place for the kids and families.
3) Lot of us volunteer 1-2 days per month.
4) Of course, some volunteer A LOT more.
5) They treat the kids/families so well, some don't even want the parks.
6) For the OP, it is not considered on-site.

NOTE: Until the day you leave, I would keep trying to get into GKTW.

merlinmagic4
09-15-2008, 09:54 PM
1) Is is truly a shame you can't stay at GKTW.
2) It is such a great place for the kids and families.
3) Lot of us volunteer 1-2 days per month.
4) Of course, some volunteer A LOT more.
5) They treat the kids/families so well, some don't even want the parks.
6) For the OP, it is not considered on-site.

NOTE: Until the day you leave, I would keep trying to get into GKTW.

It really is a shame. We loved it and my kids definitely had to be persuaded to go into the parks! It is not onsite but your wish organization will probably rent you a car (although not all do). We never waited in line for anything. It was truly an amazing experience.

So, we may have met TheRustyScupper somewhere along the way.......if only I had known.....;)

WDWdriver
09-15-2008, 10:30 PM
...They never had to wait in line, they just showed a button they had on their shirts!

A GKTW button on your shirt does not guarantee you any special access. Some CMs will accept it, but they are doing so on their own. It's not policy. There is a gift shop on Highway 192 that sells "Give Kids the World" and "Make a Wish" buttons. People buy these buttons and come into the parks flashing the buttons and demanding special treatment. Sometimes they don't even have a child with them.

Please be sure to stop at Guest Relations and ask for a Guest Assistance Card (GAC). The card will give you priority access to the attractions and will avoid any hassle with CMs who are just trying to do their jobs.

merlinmagic4
09-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Please be sure to stop at Guest Relations and ask for a Guest Assistance Card (GAC). The card will give you priority access to the attractions and will avoid any hassle with CMs who are just trying to do their jobs.

Actually, we received our GAC at Give Kids the World during our orientation :thumbsup:

chichi1515
09-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Thank you all for your comments. My family and I have heard great things about GTKW. We are going in December and will report back.

merlinmagic4
09-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Thank you all for your comments. My family and I have heard great things about GTKW. We are going in December and will report back.

You'll have a great trip! At orientation they will give you tickets to Disney (3 day park hopper), Sea World, and Universal. At least that's what they did in 2003. You can eat all of your meals there if you wish. There is a restaurant that will serve hot meals at designated times and then there is a sandwich/ice cream shop where you can eat whenever you want.

There is a movie theatre, carousel (fully accessible), play castle, pool (also wheelchair accessible), game room, miniature golf, etc. It was really a lot of fun.

They did a family picture with Mickey and Minnie. We almost missed that because the time was so early and my son was sick when we went and didn't want to get up! Great picture, though - one of our favorites!

Have you been to Disney before? We had only gone once in 1998 (and only to Epcot) and didn't know enough at all! My only advice would be to learn all you can about the parks so you can maximize your time! We could have seen so much more if I had known more.

I can't wait to hear about your trip :mickey:

KAT1811
09-17-2008, 09:14 PM
What great organizations! It really gives you hope that there are still some wonderful people out there! Have a great trip and enjoy every moment of it.

I also hope that Hayden has a great trip!!!

chichi1515
09-19-2008, 11:23 AM
My daughters nickname is KAT.............what a small world uh. Thanks for the reply and we are very excited to go. Thanks