PDA

View Full Version : San Angel review

Crow
09-14-2008, 10:55 PM
9/3 I used a TS credit for here.
didnt have too long of a wait. seated by restroom wo much of a view. service rather slow.

the tortilla chips are generic
had 2 margaritas which i used DDE discount for,
Filete Motuleno & dessert.
the food was ok, nothing great
would I eat here again? Probly not.
the atmosphere in the pavilion is great but the food & service only ok

pox24
09-15-2008, 09:02 AM
All meat and no potatoes.
Translation.... Great atmosphere.... food average.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Wow, that sounds like our same San Angel experience from 2005.....

#1donaldfan
09-15-2008, 12:33 PM
YEP....the only thing I see that's changed with 'em is that the food was actually edible, instead of just plain BAD....
...we love the atmosphere but the food we had was HORRIBLE.....never is a long time, but I can say with certainty, we won't eat there again.....:thedolls:

sisterdisco
09-15-2008, 08:27 PM
We were at San Angel 2 weeks ago and had a great meal and great service.

Our food was fantastic and the deserts incredible.

Our server was very attentive, and while not much for small talk, he did an excellent job.

We were not in a hurry and enjoyed the laid back atmosphere.

KAT1811
09-15-2008, 09:02 PM
I love San Angel Inn. The atmosphere is wonderful. Love the margaritas. The food has always been good when we have been there. Nothing fabulous but always good. Some service has been better than others but that is the same as many of the other places I have been in WDW. Sorry to hear you won't be back. It's one of my favorties.

lighteningqueen
09-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Not only is the food awful but just plain unedible.. Just curious is that what Mexican food taste up North? Because if it is I won't ever order it when I visit. This isn't to be mean about the whole thing,, but really it is just not right food.

KAT1811
09-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Mine was good. Maybe it was just what I ordered. I do not frequent mexican eateries up here, mexican isn't a big draw around here as we have mostly contemporary american restaurants, italian, and steakhouses. If you are picky with mexican I would avoid any mexican restaurants you are not familiar with. I am fairly easy to please and for me to find something inedible you really have to mess up. Like another poster said elsewhere "one man's feast is another man's famine". I like that saying. For me LLT is inedible but many love it. Just a difference of tastes I suppose.

brian2000boston
09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
asked for filet to be medium came well done, place is cool for atmosphere, needs some natural light, felt like i was in a cave.

TheRustyScupper
09-17-2008, 08:36 AM
1) I spent three years in Central Mexico (Puebla) building manufacturing plants.
2) I got used to "real" Mexican food, and not modified or Tex-Mex.
3) San Angel doesn't really measure up to true Mexican food.
4) I even had a conversation with a girl from Puebla at the pavilion.
5) She even agreed.
6) Unfortunately, modified Mexican can be tricky, and San Angel sometimes fails.
7) Fortunately, they are usually in the middle and manage "average".

EmmMOM2
09-17-2008, 09:10 AM
I just got back as well.

We LOVE mexican food (exp burritos YUM)
to my surprise they had NO mexican food, only steak, chicken with peppers and things.

If i wanted a $32 steak i would have gone to a steakhouse.

So the kids ate and then we left (DH & I) and went across the street to their counter service where their WERE burritos tacos etc..

Wont go again

Cathy S
09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
In Ohio, Mexican restaurants are very popular and if it's not a good one -- its gone. I don't think the San Angel Inn would last too long here. I know it's a matter of taste, but we seem to like Tex-Mex. My husband's mother and dad were from San Antonio and the food they cooked at home was the best I ever had -- the San Angel Inn is nothing like it. Give me that down home style any day. They couldn't afford filet so the cooked ground beef, or a roast that you cooked all day and shredded for tacos or enchiladas and it was delicious. Maybe not as high class as the San Angel but it was sure delicioso. If we're going to do Mexican I prefer Chevy's any day. Just a matter of taste.

hel5165
09-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Would not eat there again; even if it's for free. The meat was overcooked (precooked and kept in a warming bin). Service was ok.

lighteningqueen
09-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I am so glad someone agrees with me. It's the worst food of all the theme parks. Just plain nasty... Dark so you can't see what you are eating. But you don't have to, one bite and its history. WE left there and went and ate at our resort. Million times better. Can't something be done about the bad food there. Enough complaints maybe they would shut it down or at least get a cook in there that can cook Mexican,this food is not fit for a dog and dogs deserve better as well.

Renfairwedding
09-19-2008, 05:00 PM
The atmosphere is very cool... but the food has gotten worse over the years. If we want Mexican We will just wait till we return home.

Buy the chips and salsa at the store and use your dinning points or money elswere.

tinkerbell04
09-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the reviews. This restaurant seems to be one that you either love or hate! The reviews are all over the place.

KAT1811
09-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I can say for sure that I do not go to WDW for the resturants. Some are better than others but none I have been to jump out as the most fabulous food I have ever had, or even close for that matter. I visit most of the TS restaurants for the atmosphere and character interaction, not the food itself. If I'm looking for great food I get that here, at home.

pcoleman
09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Just got back and San Angel was the worst meal we had. All of us also got sick later that night. Will not go back there.

JerseyDad
09-22-2008, 12:12 PM
....can honestly say that we've never had a bad meal at San Angel...and the service has never been anything less than top notch. I'm sure that there will always be differences of opinion regarding the "authenticity" of the Mexican dishes that are served there...or for that matter...at any other locale outside of Mexico. But I will never let others "food snobbery" twist my opinions of what I like or what tastes good or what does not.

SurferStitch
09-22-2008, 12:43 PM
DH and I definitely go to WDW for the food, along with everything else. Some of the very best restaurants we've EVER dined at are at WDW (Narcoossee's, V&A, Cali Grill, Le Cellier, Teppan Edo, Flying Fish, etc.).

That being said, one time at San Angel was enough for us. The food was just like a big pile of mixed slop on the plate, and very bland. It was so dark I couldn't see (nor could I really taste) what we were eating. Service was terrible. We almost never saw our server, and couldn't understand a word he said.

There are so many amazing places to eat in WDW, that we never have a problem finding places for dinner that we enjoy, so we don't mind missing San Angel at all.

prttynpnk
09-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Wow, that sounds like our same San Angel experience from 2005.....

change that to 2004 for us!

Dopeysgal
09-23-2008, 12:51 AM
We had lunch at the San Angel Inn on our last trip in November '07. I am still dreaming about this food and can't wait to go back!!!! I thought it was the BEST food in the World and we're planning to eat there twice on an upcoming trip!

tigger_ttfn
09-23-2008, 07:05 AM
We went in November 2006 and will never go back. The chips and hot sauce were terrible - tasted like Tostitos and Pace (I can get that at home).

The food was not bad at all, it was actually average to a little above average. However, when we went, the tables were crammed so close together that you could barely walk around. And, we had the worse service I have had anywhere (not just the "world"). We were only a table of 5 people.

slpngbty56
09-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Did they change the menu for San Angel? I remember it being much better in 9/06. This time it was awful! We were there 9/13 and we had a great view but was quite dissappointed with the food. I have to admit that after seeing what my husband ordered I didn't feel much like eating though.:ack:
He got the lamb and the way it was presented it looked it it had just been slain and was bleeding all over his plate!:ack: Sorry for the graphic description but it really did look just horrible. Needless to say he didn't eat very much of it anyway.

Big Hairy Monster
09-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Through many trips this has always been one of my favorite restaurants. I have always known what to expect here, and I enjoy it. Is it authentic? No. I have always found that it was a good meal in a nice setting...until last week. Let me share:

We checked in with our reservations 30 minutes early and were seated 20 minutes late. We requested a water side seat for 4 and wound up with a seat for 6 right next to the bathroom. Before our waiter even arrived, a man with his family stood up and loudly demanded the manager, stating "horrible food" and "I spent a lot of money on this vacation and I am not paying for this slop." I should have taken this as a cue.

Three days before our reservation date, the menu changed (according to the date on the menu). All of my favorites (ceviche, the Plato Mexicano, and many others) were gone. The funny thing was that most of the menu did not even look mexican...things like duck and lamb were being offered. I saw none of the enchaladas, flautas, poblanos, or other words you would see on a mexican menu. I opted for a steak with a chili sauce and some unmemorable side. $30.00 and no rice or beans or anything else...just a very bland piece of meat.

On top of all this, the waiter was horrible. As we were walking out I overheard another disgruntled couple complain to management.

This was by far the worst meal I have ever had in Disney. :ack:

pdrlkr
09-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the review! :smickey:

dixielandings
09-25-2008, 09:26 AM
The reviews for San Angel are always mixed. We've eaten there several times, mostly for the atmosphere and the :marg:. We have always found the service to be perfectly fine and very friendly. And yes, the chips are Tostitos, I'm pretty sure, and not even the big restaurant kind. But we keep going back...

One thing: if you are ever seated at a table or in an area that you find unacceptable, please say something to the host or hostess. Most of the time, they will accomodate you. I'm not talking about a situation like Rose and Crown, where you want to sit on the terrace or in preferred seating. But last time we were at San Angel, for example, they tried to seat us at a 2-top table, shoved up against a wall near the kitchen (a horrible table that shouldn't even be there), we asked the hostess to put us a different table, and she did. Since DH and I are a couple with no kids, we are often asking to NOT be seated at the 2-top tables - they are far too small! It's just too expensive to be uncomfortable!

Ksmith75
09-25-2008, 02:58 PM
We ate there in May. They were busy, but we got our table. Our waitress was not very nice....the entrees were ok, but nothing that great, the bread pudding thing was horrible....
my husband and I both got it, mine was ok, his was stale and hard as a rock....

***but the kicker was at the end.*** we are on the disney dining plan...so our waitress, presented us with the bill and said " since you are with the dining plan, here is your bill to total - so can you tip me right!"
I was so shocked that she was that rude about it.
Then the next table to us, must have been on the plan too, because the manager gave them their bill (they complained to her because the service was so so slow) and she handed the guy the bill and said " I need your key card and the money for the tip"...

Unbelievable...we will not go back there....

LeCellier had the best service!!!

CosmicRay
09-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Not only is the food awful but just plain unedible.. Just curious is that what Mexican food taste up North? Because if it is I won't ever order it when I visit. This isn't to be mean about the whole thing,, but really it is just not right food.

I agree, I am a native Texan and love my Tex Mex. DH is from KS and their version of Mexican food is not the same as what I am used to. We haven't eaten at San Angel, but from past reviews I have read, we don't have a desire to.

Big Hairy Monster
09-25-2008, 05:13 PM
One thing: if you are ever seated at a table or in an area that you find unacceptable, please say something to the host or hostess...

I have found this to be very situational, likely depending on the mood of the staff on duty. Generally the table location is nowhere near as important to us as the quality of the food and service. The only time that we have been upset by a table location issue was a few years back when we had dinner in the castle at MK. We had a great window seat, and were even asked for our drink order. After placing the order, I went to the restroom and returned to find another family in our seats. I searched the restaurant to find my family at a table in a corner by the stairs. When I asked my wife what happened, she said that the waitress told her that there was a problem with the table and we had to move. She didn't know that someone else got the table. When I questioned the waitress, she said it was a table given to us accidentally that was reserved for VIPs. When I spoke to the manager, she had a could care less attitude. The meal was still enjoyable, but this was the first time that I really noticed a lack of Disney magic.

San Angel used to be a magical meal for our family...but no longer after this trip.