PDA

View Full Version : Yeti

Disney fans..
09-14-2008, 10:43 PM
I heard a rumor..I heard that the Yeti was removed from EE and now all you see is a shadow. Does anyone know if this is correct?:confused:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-14-2008, 10:50 PM
It's not.

The Yeti is still there.

And upon closer observation from the other day, I will say he is also not behind a scrim (something I had suggested on another thread). Or rather, if he was, he isn't now.

TheDuckRocks
09-15-2008, 10:24 AM
My son's family who were there over the 4th of July swear that they didn't see the Yeti! Of course I had to point out that when you have your eyes shut in fear you're not apt to see him!:D

DizneyRox
09-15-2008, 10:41 AM
I could be wrong, but using a scrim around the Yeti doesn't seem to be possible. He sortof reaches out over the train making it difficult. Now, if they moved him back, maybe into some sort of maintenance position maybe it's possible.

I still think that many people miss him because it goes by so fast, and it' probably one of the scarier sections so maybe more people close their eyes. I've been on it many times and have difficulty remembering THAT section of the ride.

disneygeek84
09-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Okay, so I was there this past week and after reading threads of people not being able to see him, I decided to pay close attention to see what people were talking about...

I can totally see how you would miss him. We only rode it once when he was in A mode, the other times he wasn't moving and he was very hard to see. I almost missed him a few times. They've changed him since the last time we were there, I swear. It may be lighting or something, but if you don't know where to look for him, then you miss him.

Imagineer1981
09-15-2008, 10:42 AM
If they removed the Yeti, they might as well have closed the attraction, its a key show element. The Yeti is there and I think alot of people ****SPOILER**** see the shadow Yeti earlier in the attraction that tears up the track and then when they zip by the big figure at the end they miss it and think they only saw the shadow and are disappointed

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I could be wrong, but using a scrim around the Yeti doesn't seem to be possible. He sortof reaches out over the train making it difficult. Now, if they moved him back, maybe into some sort of maintenance position maybe it's possible.

Oh, it's possible if they positioned it right. I don't know why, but I just thought it looked like a scrim instead of the strobes. Maybe they had it there for a while and took it down because it was harder to see.

But I can tell you that if you looking and not having your eyes closed, it's kinda hard to miss him, even with the strobes.

tinklover
09-15-2008, 12:25 PM
ok this may be off topic but... what is a scrim?

Imagineer1981
09-15-2008, 12:46 PM
But I can tell you that if you looking and not having your eyes closed, it's kinda hard to miss him, even with the strobes.

You'd think, but I know plenty of people who completely missed him the first time.

joonyer
09-15-2008, 01:33 PM
ok this may be off topic but... what is a scrim?

A transparent cloth curtain, when lit from behind you can see right through it. When lit only from the front it is opaque.

ILoveLegos
09-15-2008, 01:34 PM
I love coasters, I had my eyes wide open all the way & didn't see anything but the shadow yeti - I was dissapointed after seeing the making of EE on TV and all... I have only ridden it once to date though, I thought he was down for maintenance.

MNDisney Dad
09-15-2008, 01:49 PM
If I understand correctly about a scrim, they are used at COP. The scenes on each side of the stage use them, I think.

tinklover
09-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Thank you for clearing that up for me .

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-15-2008, 03:43 PM
If I understand correctly about a scrim, they are used at COP. The scenes on each side of the stage use them, I think.

And also HM. The ceiling and the endless hallway. There is also a few on GMR.

countrycharmer
09-15-2008, 09:24 PM
This is the ride that I am planning on "facing my fears" on.... kids love this stuff, but I can't handle it!! With my luck the Yeti will snag my shirt and I will be hanging there!!

sisterdisco
09-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Last year I rode EE twice and saw a big brown Yeti twice.
This year (2 weeks ago), all I saw was 2 red dots for eyes.
DH, and 2 DS's swear they saw more than I, but they could be teasing me.....
Second time I was looking in the right spot and didn't see him.
What is A mode?
Am I crazy?
I KNOW my eyes were open!

CaptSmee
09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Before EE opened I watched a making of special with Imagineer Joe Rhoede. He said that the Yeti is being positioned so that all you see is a glimpse making you wonder if you really saw it or not...judging by this post, it's working the way the imagineers wanted it to!

DisneyMomma23
09-15-2008, 10:16 PM
i know when we went on everest back in june, i saw the yeti so clearly i thought he was going to jump in our train, seriously he swooped out at us that far :eek:, but you do go past him pretty fast so it's reasonable that some ppl could miss him

MaxPower
09-16-2008, 12:37 AM
I have to add that I cannot understand how anyone could possibly miss seeing him. He is HUGE and he moves and roars and swipes at your car. As stated above, he is the focus of the entire attraction from the moment you get in line. I cannot see any imagineer proposing the idea of "hiding" him or possibly making him less visible.

disneygeek84
09-16-2008, 10:40 AM
I have to add that I cannot understand how anyone could possibly miss seeing him. He is HUGE and he moves and roars and swipes at your car.

That's what I'm saying. When he's NOT moving and the strobes are going, he's very hard to see. The first time we rode it last week he wasn't moving and all I saw was his eyes. Then we went on it again the same day and he was moving again and it was easier to see. Then we rode is like 3 more times, and all those times he wasn't moving and again, very difficult to see. But I swear that they changed the lighting around him and that's what makes it difficult to see him now. Last time we were there in '07 he was very easy to see and it was like he was going to jump into the train.

Who knows?

JPL
09-16-2008, 10:50 AM
There are 2 show modes for the Yeti

A Show

This features all movements and effects which make the figure easier to see.

B Show

The figure is in a static position and strobe lights flash to simulated movement. This makes the figure much more difficult to see and really can ruin the ride experience especially for first time riders.

ILoveLegos
09-16-2008, 11:02 AM

A Show

B Show

The figure is in a static position and strobe lights flash to simulated movement. This makes the figure much more difficult to see and really can ruin the ride experience especially for first time riders.

Thanks for posting this - I do distinctly remember strobe lights during the ride! I remember thinking that was not good for me - so that's why I didn't see the yeti - strobe lights are not so good for my medical condition - they can cause me to have seizures sometimes. Ugh!

Is there a way to tell if the are doing show A or B before you ride EE?

joonyer
09-16-2008, 12:08 PM
So why are there two different modes?

Is it a maintenance or repair issue? Does the Yeti break down a lot? If so, this seems odd since it is a new animatronic design and construction. Is he prone to failure?

Imagineer1981
09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
So why are there two different modes?

Is it a maintenance or repair issue? Does the Yeti break down a lot? If so, this seems odd since it is a new animatronic design and construction. Is he prone to failure?

The Yeti is the most advanced animatronic figure yet and he weighs alot, especially his arm, therefore there is alot of wear on his parts and he tends to break down.

Disneyatic
09-16-2008, 11:18 PM
In 2006 DH rode this (I stayed back with DD) and he didn't see the AA Yeti.
I had to search all over the internet to prove to him that it really did exist (at least on the ride!). Last year we rode it and both looked straight up almost the entire ride to make sure we didn't miss it and we spotted him!

I wonder if it was "B" mode when he missed it or if he just didn't know to look up at the right time?
I noticed that where you are sitting on the train also makes a difference in if/how well you see him.

ShinynewJB
09-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Got back from our two week visit to Disney World yesterday. Me and my brother must have ridden Everest four times at least, and didn't ONCE see the Yeti in "A Mode".

Very dissopointing seeing as it was our first time riding. It would be difficult for the ride to live up to all its hype, but I think it could have managed it if the main attraction was functional.

On a slightly more off-topic note: We only had to queue more than 10 minuites for it once, but seriously, would it have hurt to put some fans or something in the queue?! Very hot and sticky queue.

kakn7294
09-17-2008, 08:37 AM
We rode EE in August and he was there in all his hairy glory! I don't understand how people miss him unless they ride with their eyes closed! I know it's dark and you go by pretty quick, but he's huge! Of course, the times we've seen him, he's been fully functional.

JPL
09-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Is there a way to tell if the are doing show A or B before you ride EE?

Well if you want to annoy a CM at Everest you can ask like I always do ;) The usually look really annoyed and don't answer :confused:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Well, I disagree about the seating. I've sat in just about every row of the train and seen him perfectly. It's part of the design - the track goes downwards as you pass under. Even the front seat gets a great shot of him.

I rode it twice last week and both times he was in A mode. There were strobes, but he was definitely moving. See, after riding the ride so many times, I really start looking at the technical aspects of it.

As a response to the off-topic comment a few posts back - Did you know that when AK first opened, there were no fans at all anywhere in the park and no AC? Yeah because in African countries and safari areas there are no luxuries like that. There is no AC in the jungle. Just like there used to be no paper towels and no straws.

You can see how long all of that lasted.

ShinynewJB
09-17-2008, 11:00 AM
As a response to the off-topic comment a few posts back - Did you know that when AK first opened, there were no fans at all anywhere in the park and no AC? Yeah because in African countries and safari areas there are no luxuries like that. There is no AC in the jungle. Just like there used to be no paper towels and no straws.

You can see how long all of that lasted.

Yeah! I find imagineering really interesting, and do a lot of reading around the park design subject. I appreciate they're trying to keep in with the "show", but I also appreciate it when they keep me cool when it's 90something degrees outside!

As for the paper towels and straws issues (well, mainly straws) I thought that was an environmental issue? The straws are polymer, therefore not biodegradable and hurt the animals/environment. That's why you get those weird paper straws now. Also, you can't get drink lids anywhere, which I assumed was for the same eco-friendly issue. I might be wrong.

sdewan
09-17-2008, 11:21 AM

A Show

B Show

Thanks for explaining that. It's been 1.5 years since I last rode EE, and I could have sworn the Yeti was more animated than when I saw him this past August in B mode.

I videotaped the entire ride so I could show my kids the Yeti (who are too young to ride). But when I reviewed the tape frame-by-frame there were only two frames where the strobe illuminated the Yeti. Not very exciting to watch. So I had to capture one of those frames and insert it as a 1-second zoom-in effect to make it more entertaining. Maybe if I get a chance I'll post the ride video on YouTube...

Imagineer1981
09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah! I find imagineering really interesting, and do a lot of reading around the park design subject. I appreciate they're trying to keep in with the "show", but I also appreciate it when they keep me cool when it's 90something degrees outside!

As for the paper towels and straws issues (well, mainly straws) I thought that was an environmental issue? The straws are polymer, therefore not biodegradable and hurt the animals/environment. That's why you get those weird paper straws now. Also, you can't get drink lids anywhere, which I assumed was for the same eco-friendly issue. I might be wrong.

You are correct. Straws pose a danger to the animals and therefore are not offered in the parks...well they have the paper ones now

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Yes well, if it makes you guys feel better - CM's don't even get the paper ones backstage. We're still drinking from the cups.

See, they love you guys more than us! ;)

ShinynewJB
09-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes well, if it makes you guys feel better - CM's don't even get the paper ones backstage. We're still drinking from the cups.

See, they love you guys more than us! ;)

But we love all you guys for doing such a great job, so it all works itself out eventually! :)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Yes, but I'd still prefer a straw. LOL.

John Lennon was the Walrus. I could be the Walrus, but I'd still have to bum rides of people. - Ferris Bueller.

Davyjones
09-17-2008, 10:35 PM

It is a biodegradable/eco-friendly issue, but it is mostly for animal safety. In almost all the zoos in North America, they do not have straws or lids in order to stop people from throwing them into animal exhibits. Which they do...a lot. Can't tell you how many times I've had to lecture people about this. :mad: Ah, the life of a zookeeper!

You know what they should do at AK? Give people straws that are actually pasta! I remember that a national Italian restaurant did this (Macaroni Grill? Olive Garden?). Not sure what type of pasta it was, but they looked exactly like straws. It would be very animal safe!:) Or would just encourage people to throw more stuff in. Oh well...

ryca1dreams
09-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I just saw the Yeti twice on Sunday, but I think he followed me home because my flight was delayed twice by bad weather and I didn't get home until 1 am.

BigRedDad
09-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Yes, but I'd still prefer a straw. LOL.

We'll be there in two months. I'll buy you a Mickey straw if I see you. Then you can have a permanent straw.

garthbarth1
09-19-2008, 10:09 PM
So when you are on the train, and the Yeti sweeps his arm at you, is he above you? Or is he on one side or the other (for example, if Im sitting in the train facing forward, should I be looking towards my right or left for the Yeti?) Sorry for the crazy question, but I didnt see him last year (besides the shadow) and am determined to see him this trip next week! TIA for any tips..like WHEN I shoud look for him...:mickey:

DAKustodial
09-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Off topic again...
But the indoor restaurants and attractions at Animal Kingdom all did have AC back when the park opened. Honestly though...waiting in line for Kilimanjaro Safaris or sitting through the Flights of Wonder show back then was absolutely excruciating because of the heat.

I'm really thankful that the decision makers figured out the things that were unbearable in the park and attempted to fix them.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-20-2008, 09:28 AM
So when you are on the train, and the Yeti sweeps his arm at you, is he above you? Or is he on one side or the other (for example, if Im sitting in the train facing forward, should I be looking towards my right or left for the Yeti?) Sorry for the crazy question, but I didnt see him last year (besides the shadow) and am determined to see him this trip next week! TIA for any tips..like WHEN I shoud look for him...:mickey:

After the main photo drop you'll reenter the mountain briefly, then exit again. You'll do a couple of really fun spirals before arching up to enter the mountain again. When you enter for the second time, a little past he'll be above you and to the right. You should be able to see him just fine if you're sitting on the left and even in the back because the train arches back down under him. It's near the end of the ride.

garthbarth1
09-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks Jessica! I will be looking for him next week!!

ShinynewJB
09-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Off topic again...
But the indoor restaurants and attractions at Animal Kingdom all did have AC back when the park opened. Honestly though...waiting in line for Kilimanjaro Safaris or sitting through the Flights of Wonder show back then was absolutely excruciating because of the heat.

I'm really thankful that the decision makers figured out the things that were unbearable in the park and attempted to fix them.

Sorry to drag this even further off topic (we should create a new thread!). True it's much better now than in 1998. But I still think there are things that need sorting, like the fact you get soaked waiting for Festival of the Lion King if it's raining and all the rain drips through the natural canopy and wet you even more and of course, the queue for Everest is a bit brutal.

It's a shame really. It's a pretty nice queue. When I was reading some of the stuff in the cabinets I found them genuinely interesting, but I couldn't shake the fact I was overheating and needed a bottle of water.

mel
09-20-2008, 07:46 PM
believe me.. I didnt see the Yeti the third week of july the ride was a huge disapointment.. only a shadow and a loud roar..:(

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-20-2008, 11:27 PM
There are two Yeti's in the ride.

The first is after you go backwards, you come to a stop and there is a video on a projection screen of A SHADOW of the Yeti pulling up the tracks and roaring. Then you go forward again, into the photo shot. See my previous post for what happens after that.

They would not completely remove the Yeti without it's replacement there. There are at the least, probably 3 animatronics for it just in case of situations where one completely breaks down.

badkitty
09-21-2008, 12:15 AM
I was on EE today and saw the Yeti with the strobe. It wasn't moving but the stobe gave a slight effect that it was. I could also see its two glowing red eyes. It was easy to spot because I knew where to look. (I have seen the Yeti in the past when it was in A mode.) The B mode is definitely more difficult to see and not as impressive but it is still very cool.

dumbo_buddy
09-22-2008, 02:51 PM
DH and i went on EE three times this past weekend. and he's definitely gone. the animated one on the screen is there but the animatronic huge guy that used to be there is definitely not.

MAJOR BUMMER.

disneygeek84
09-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I just read on another very respected site that the Yeti is having foundation problems and some mechanical problems and has been running 99% in B mode. And like I've stated in other posts, I noticed that when he's running in B mode, he's very difficult to see. So this may be why people aren't seeing him so much lately.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

SmallWorldBobby
09-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Confirmed what the above poster said. I went to Animal Kingdom this past weekend, and I could not make him out. Actually, being my first time on the ride, my brother had to tell me that the Yeti wasn't active. The lights/strobes didn't even fire.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Maybe I'll go visit today and see after class.

Homework can wait when it comes to Disney info!

Imagineer1981
09-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Maybe I'll go visit today and see after class.

Homework can wait when it comes to Disney info!

HA!!! Thanks for trying to add to our knowledge ahead of your own!!!! Homework:ack::ack::ill::ill::sick::sick:

dumbo_buddy
09-23-2008, 12:37 PM
ah, it must have been running in B mode over the weekend. because when we thought we'd see him reaching out and trying to grab us, we instead kinda sorta saw a shadow of him farther back.

i hope they fix him! it's so cool when you think he's going to grab you!:number1:

tinksmom02
09-23-2008, 09:33 PM
I love coasters, I had my eyes wide open all the way & didn't see anything but the shadow yeti - I was dissapointed after seeing the making of EE on TV and all... I have only ridden it once to date though, I thought he was down for maintenance.

I agree with you...we rode it last week and I only saw the shadow. I wasn't sure what else to look for, but I had my eyes open the whole time.