PDA

View Full Version : Who doesn't like the DDP?

DisneyBabies
09-14-2008, 09:56 AM
I have noticed that a lot of people on this board seem to dislike the DDP. I have to admit that my DH and I loved it the first time we used it and are using it again for our DS's birthday trip. My question is . . . why don't you like it? And how often do you guys get to go see Mickey and friends?

Madame Leona
09-14-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't know if I would say I don't like the ddp but I don't want to use it. I don't like to eat at a lot of the ts. I try a couple each trip but otherwise I don't want to be tied down to anything and I like a lot of the cs options. That being said, I may try the new cs dp in 2009. We visit once a year for 10 days.

Kenny1113
09-14-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree. I don't have anything against it per se, I choose not to use it because I pefer to dine when I'm hungry, not at a set time. When I go to WDW, I play everything by ear, know the main things the kids MUST see/do and the rest is all pretty leisure. Also, I usually only do 1-2 TS/visit. I usually visit a couple times a year.

DizneyRox
09-14-2008, 10:20 AM
In the vein of our founding fathers...

DIZNEYROX

I find that the DDP is not a value, never has been. Packages in general have never been a good value at WDW and the DDP is no excepetion. When it wasn't as profitable as they wanted, Disney went and changed the menus to make it more profitable. This in effect lowered the quality of the food as well as my choices, neither of which I'm a fan of.

henry.james.s
09-14-2008, 10:24 AM
I've used the DDP since it started and for the last several trips the Deluxe DDP. I love it and think it's a great value "if" you work it right and understand it fully.
From reading the posts of alot of the folks who don't like Disney Dining in general are 1st timers and don't fully research what it is and if it is something that fits what they want to do or folks unaware of plan changes.

The key to a great Disney vacation is great planning & preperationin all areas. Then when you get there you can relax and have a great experience.

kathymk616
09-14-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't find it useful because it doesn't fit my dining habits: a large, somewhat leisurely breakfast (best done with table service or a buffet), a very light snack at lunch, and then a late dinner at a nice restaurant. But I know the DDP works great for a lot of people.

Sharon1026
09-14-2008, 11:57 AM
For our situation, it doesn't give us a monetary advantage to use the DDP.

We are in the dvc and get a 1 bdr. we like to eat breakfast in the room before heading out to the parks.

To get your money's worth, you have to pick the most expensive restaurants at Disney for it to work out...

SBETigg
09-14-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't find it useful because it doesn't fit my dining habits: a large, somewhat leisurely breakfast (best done with table service or a buffet), a very light snack at lunch, and then a late dinner at a nice restaurant. But I know the DDP works great for a lot of people.

The Deluxe Dining Plan might actually be a good one for you to consider. Have you checked into it? It could end up saving you money. If you're having two sit down meals a day, and one of those is at a Signature dining place, it would be ideal.

I have mixed feelings on the dining plan. I preferred dining at Disney before they implemented it. The plan has made it more tempting for a lot of people to try the table service dining and planning ahead has become a necessity. But I can live with that for the ease of paying ahead and the savings.

Polynesian Dweller
09-14-2008, 12:15 PM
From reading the posts of alot of the folks who don't like Disney Dining in general are 1st timers and don't fully research what it is and if it is something that fits what they want to do or folks unaware of plan changes.
Well, we are definitely not first timers and have used DDP in the past but not using it in the future. So we have fully researched it as well. We go to WDW at least once a year (for 18 years now) and some years more often.

For us the DDP is not a value at all. First, we never would eat TS all the time or every day. Way too much food for us. Second, when we looked at what we would actually eat (order) if not on the DDP it was clear to us that Disney was actually getting us to spend more on food on the DDP than OOP.

Most people make the savings comparison based on what they ordered on the DDP rather than the better method (IMHO) basing it on what you would normally have ordered without the DDP. Using the latter method, it was clear cut that we were eating way too much and paying more than should have. Disney was actually encouraging us to eat unhealthily (excessive amount) and over spend.

Business will always have an angle to get you to pay more while seeming to make a saving and the DDP does that well.

badkitty
09-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Most people make the savings comparison based on what they ordered on the DDP rather than the better method (IMHO) basing it on what you would normally have ordered without the DDP. Using the latter method, it was clear cut that we were eating way too much and paying more than should have. Disney was actually encouraging us to eat unhealthily (excessive amount) and over spend.

I totally agree. I am not a "first-timer" and I have also researched the "value". For me, it was not cost-effective. I typically travel to WDW by myself and I don't like to be tied to the plan. I do not find the TS marathon relaxing at all. The DP seemed to rule my vacation. When my sister travels with me, we only make a few TS reservations.

The best thing about Disney is, if you end up not liking traveling without the DDP, you can always get it for the next trip!

Dsnygirl
09-14-2008, 02:13 PM
I have gone back & forth (and back and forth... :blush:) on my opinion of the DDP, as we've never used it and are planning on using it in December for the first time. We've never been in the parks more than 3-4 days, so with this visit being 8 days, we thought we'd give it a shot... esp. since my DH always says, "just keep me fed & watered..."

On the plus side, we've found that time off our feet to rejuvenate, people-watch and relax has been crucial to our enjoyment. So, although I worry a bit about time we'll "lose" in parks by sitting down, I figure it'll be worth it if it keeps moods stable and with 8 days, we shouldn't be feeling rushed.

Another plus for us is that, as another poster mentioned, we've picked some more expensive restaurants this time as a treat, places and/or packages (such as LeCellier for the CP) that we wouldn't have done otherwise, and it's a big cost-savings, b/c we'd still choose to do some of them even if we were paying OOP - they're places we've always wanted to try.

The only negative I've been concerned about is the volume of food -- the past 2 trips, I've found the meals to feel "heavy" and my body doesn't really like the constant eating, as compared to home, where our schedule and amount of food is totally different.

But, after finally going over the numbers one last time this morning, even if we scaled back on some of the CS meals and carried granola bars/yogurt, etc., in our backpacks, we'd still pay more OOP for the rest of the meals/packages we've chosen than we have for the DDP.

So - I can eat less on the DDP and still feel re-assured that we haven't wasted money on unnecessary food... I'm not sure we'll use the DDP every trip, but for this one, and the choices we've made, it's a definite savings.

(not sure if that fits in with the "why don't you like the DDP", but as I wasn't sure if we did or not, maybe it will help someone else...) :)

goofygirl67
09-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I am definitly NOT a first timer and I don't use the DDP.
I usually wing it on my vacation and I don't like being tied down to a certain park on a certain day. I even had trouble making the 1 ADR (total of 28 days this year) for the CP.

thrillme
09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I looked into the DDP this trip...it just didn't work out. I charted all the places we were likely to eat and I can't say I came out "cheaper" but I didn't come out with a value that was worthwhile.

What really bugs me is that with the DDP you almost HAVE to make ADR's. This really screws up what I value in a "vacation"...NO WORRIES, NO SCHEDULE. The last thing I want to do is worry if I'm going to be hungry or rush to be at "X" location at a certian time. I don't mind doing it for shows but food...

Before DDP I could walk up to any resturant and get in within an hour. That's just fine...now it's becoming more and more difficult. I really don't see it saving anybody an "enormous" amount of money but it is forcing people to eat more table service dinners whereas before they'd save money by going counter. But then I only calculated it based on my family's habits.

Tinkerbella16
09-14-2008, 09:09 PM
I hate the DDP. We were on it last year, and if they kept it the way it was, I would be fine with it. Not including the appetizer, tax, and tip is rediculous. The way its made some people crazy is even more redic. I would and will not ever set my alarm to wake up just to call and make ADRs, when the restaurants get booked up so FAST anyway! The dining plan has made it much harder to just play your day by ear and walk up to a nice restaurant and relax. It is impossible to do these days.

I realized last year that the DDP is wayyyyy too much food anyway. I'd rather eat at one or two tableservice places during the trip and just pay out of pocket. I do not like the fact of planning my entire trip around food...because that is basically how it is when your on the plan.

And I cannot stand when disney makes changes to the menus, and you have to pay for an appetizer and not a dessert... Changes should benefit the customer, not them.

DisneyBabies
09-15-2008, 10:32 AM
All of the replies have been interesting. Our family likes the DDP (and we really like the deluxe DDP) but I just wondered what prompted people to dislike the DDP as much as they seem to on some of these threads. I really got to thinking about it and I think that if my family was able to come more than once every couple of years, the DDP would get annoying because of having to set up all the ADR's. But right now it is good for us because we don't get to come to WDW on a regular basis, it allows us to pay for our food in advance so it is one less thing to worry about while we are there and it keeps my DS on a dining schedule which keeps him happy. Thanks for the different point of view and keep the comments coming!

TheRustyScupper
09-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Why don't I like DDP?

1) It rips-off most guests that buy it.
2) Many guests use it for the least cost-effective meals.
3) Thus, Disney makes huge profits, and the guests get socked.
4) Terrible economic uses for TS-DDP coupons
. . . any breakfast
. . . any character meal
. . . any signature dining (except one)
. . . any dinner show (especially Mickey BBQ)
. . . most lunches
. . . BTW - most CS meals
5) In addition, most people lose $1.00-$1.50 per snack credit used.
6) To make sense, your meals should be at least, after tax
. . . $4.00 per snack
. . . $13.00 per CS meal
. . . $23.00 per TS coupon

NOTE: If you use TS credits for sit down dinners and plan it well, then you can make out. But, few people really do well on the DDP. Let's face it, Disney does not do things for guests, it does things for their own profit. If DDP really was a savings to the guest, then WDW would probably discontinue it.

NOTE2: Many people rationalize DDP by saying they pre-pay their meals. OK, for convenience one can make that argument. But, if you lose 10%-25% on your money, is pre-paying really worth it?

MicMouse
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Never used DDP and probably never will.

We were there June 22-30 of this year and it was so hot, we really only ate breakfast (club level) and just light snacks throughout the day. The DDP would have been a complete waste of money for my family. It was so hot that the last thing we wanted to do was eat!:blush:

We opted to stay club level vs. going DDP and I think, for us, it was a wise choice.

Just my two cents....

PS - due to the nature of our business, we are only able to travel to WDW in the summer months, so we probably won't chose the DDP as it is now. The CS only plan does sound a little more my style, but we'll see. We are fortunate enough to visit WDW every 3 years.

DigitalDaredevil
09-16-2008, 03:54 AM
I don't use the DDP as I usually do not stay on property and like to eat a little bit of everything.
I have noticed that the quality of food has declined since the big push for the DDP. We ate at the Chef's of France several years ago and the food and portions were very good. We ate there earlier this year and the portions were smaller and not of the same quality for the same meal.
I don't mind paying for a good meal, but the DDP has ruined that option.

baby minnie's mommy
09-16-2008, 12:51 PM
One reason we don't like it is actually about something besides the value:

We've noticed it causes more chaos in the food court and trouble in register lines. People get confused about what they get with their plan, or want to pay for additional items OOP, and hold up the line at the register while they try to figure it out.

We found this more noticeable at POP century, which seems to already be a busier food court.

I know the people are not intentionally holding up the line. But I miss the days when you pick and pay for what you want, and restaurants were more accessible.

lockedoutlogic
09-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I have long been documented as a long standing advocate of.....

PAIN ON THE COLLECTION OF ACCOUNTANTS THAT CAME UP WITH IT!!!!

it has essentially ruined the disney dining experience as it had been for 30 years.....

and after the 07 plan.....it has been slowly constricted by the accountant boa constrictor of death to the point where it will soon be a bigtime ripoff

Tick-Tock
09-16-2008, 07:15 PM
it has essentially ruined the disney dining experience as it had been for 30 years.....

and after the 07 plan.....it has been slowly constricted by the accountant boa constrictor of death to the point where it will soon be a bigtime ripoff

But hey, maybe then people will stop using it as much, and then either the plan gets more value again or the restaurants get emptier and easier to get into for the rest of us...

We (2 of us, no kids) have never gotten the DDP. At first it was because we had APs and it would cost more to get the package with DDP (and have to buy a one-day ticket and lose the AP discount) than it would to pay for food OOP. In recent trips we've haven't really eaten enough to make it cost-effective. We usually do breakfast in the room, then a big late lunch and maybe a snack or split a CS meal in the evenings. Plus our trips usually are short 4 or 5-day trips, some during F&W Fest when we aren't doing a lot of TS meals anyway.

Johnno52
09-16-2008, 08:12 PM
For reasons in many replies I agree against the plan. We did it 3 years running and finally had enough. Last trip we went OOP and felt more at ease dining and enjoying the parks. We went wherever we wanted to go and ate whenever we felt like it.
I have noticed the menus are almost identical at all restaurants, 5-6 choices and very little differences. Example a steak, half a chicken, a piece of Salmon or other fish, a pork chop and a pasta of some sorts, mashed potatoes and a veg.
We have eaten prime rib on all three occasions however see how many offer that now? So we are back to enjoying the parks without the dining plan. :thumbsup:

lawgirl
09-17-2008, 04:36 PM
I find the best value for us it to find a great room rate, and then purchase everything else separately. We never really know when we want to eat...we like to be free to eat whenever we want...not be tied down to having to be at a ts restaurant at a certain time. I think I would feel alot of pressure to make reservations, and make sure we eat every single meal (even if we didn't want it)

DigitalDaredevil
09-18-2008, 02:42 AM
I've also noticed that a lot of people throw pats of their meals out or offer them to other people.

MicMouse
09-18-2008, 12:06 PM
I've also noticed that a lot of people throw pats of their meals out or offer them to other people.

This is what kills me about the DDP. Would those people that are giving away their credits be doing that if they were paying OOP? Would they just walk up to a random person and say "hey you, you look hungry, let me buy you lunch" -- I don't think so!

I know that a lot of people are totally convinced that the DDP is just the greatest thing since sliced bread. I personally don't get it and I certainly don't see the value.

joonyer
09-18-2008, 12:34 PM
We have bought the DDP once before but will not again. Compared to what we would spend OOP for our choice of meals, the DDP cost us more money. And that was under the old version that included Appetizers and gratuity. Yes, we maximized our value by redeeming the credits for the most expensive meals & snacks and enjoyed them, so you could say we got our moneys worth, but we would have never spent OOP $$ for 4 appetizers and 4 desserts at every meal. That's WAY TOO MUCH FOOD for our family. We actually spend less than the per day cost of the DDP on meals when we pay OOP, so we won't be buying it again, especially since its even less of a value now.
I would only consider using it again if we qualified for the FREE DDP, and then only if the package saved us money overall. Often a discounted room rate will save you more than the cost of the DDP, and since you only get the free dining by paying rack rates for rooms, sometimes (depends on where you are staying) even the free dining is not a money saving deal.

Faver
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't care for the DDP either. I already plan a great deal of our trip, and always plan at least one TS per day, but I wouldn't want to do all the counting credits, and planning every single meal.....

And there's just not enough savings for my family....:mickey:

SurferStitch
09-18-2008, 01:01 PM
DH and I used the DDP once, and we saved a lot of money with it.

1. We stayed in a value resort. Therefor, our almost rack rate room was much cheaper than a rack rate deluxe.

2. We didn't change our dining habits AT ALL with the plan. If anything, we ate FEWER TS meals. We still at as much, and at the same TS restaurants, as before. So, it was a TRUE apples to apples comparison.

3. Gratuity and appetizers were included, but are not now.

We saved about $800 on our dining total using the DDP over OOP on a 12 day in December 2006. We ate at our usual places (Narcoossee's, Cali Grill, 'Ohana, Le Cellier, Teppan Edo, etc.), and ate our usual types of food. We did also get the DDP at a reduced rate, but even if we had paid full prices, we still would have saved about $500 overall.

I used an Excel spreadsheet that I set up to account for all costs of the trip associated with DDP and OOP dining. Factoring in room rates, alcohol purchases, gratuity savings, etc.....we saved a ton of cash. It worked well for us, but I can see where it wouldn't for others. We saw so many people using it for breakfasts....such a waste.

Now, we are AP holders with DDE, and with our room discounts, the 20% discount, and other perks, we come out about the same, but get to stay at the Grand Flo, and get 20% off on our alcohol. I also compared the MYW w/dining packages they offered for AP holders, and we still do better just booking room only and getting the 20% dining discount.

Now, with no appetizers or gratuity included with the DDP, we most likely won't ever get it. We love DDE.