PDA

View Full Version : Plan for kids if we get separated

246belgrade
09-13-2008, 03:56 PM
We will be leaving for our very first trip in 2 weeks! I have a DD 9 and DD 7. What is the best plan if we get separated? I think that designating a meeting place might be hard because they probably would get confused trying to find the place. Should I just tell them to approach a CM or should I just tell them not to wander from where they are so we can find them? Thanks.

Sylvia
09-13-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm sure that there will be many suggestions, but I have one, which worked for us.

Many years ago, my nephew became separated from me and he did exactly what I told him to do. He found a CM, who stayed with him and helped him find me.

So, my recommendation is to tell your children to find any CM and let him/her know that they are separated from you. Since all CMs wear name tags, and they are everywhere, your children should be able to locate one quickly.

Also, be sure that your kids know your cell phone number.

Daisy'sMom
09-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Find a CM nearby!

tinklover
09-13-2008, 05:48 PM
we use lost child temp tattoos i can not post the website here but i will pm you with it if that is ok.

ThanxForNoticin
09-13-2008, 06:06 PM
If you have a cell phone, make sure the kids have your number - and then have them find a CM for help. If you do not have a cell phone, we still find it to be very important you designate a meeting area if you get separated. The meeting place should be simple so they remember and not so big you could miss each other (for example, Cinderella's Castle is to big - you could both be there and miss each other). At the MK, we always used the entrance to Dumbo. If the kids can't find the meeting place, they can ask a CM to help them get there. Hopefully, you'll never need it! Have a great time.

judoma
09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
As a previous poster suggsted, I think you should establish a meeting place in case you are separated. When you get there make sure you point out to the children what a CM is. If you are separated have them approach a CM and tell them that their parents said if they get separated to meet at X location. Have a great trip! :mickey:

MauiMouse
09-13-2008, 06:42 PM
A CM and a cell phone number. I was walking into Animal Kingdom last month and heard a mom ask her daughter what was her cell phone number. She said it kind of a loud to which I could hear, but it was good that the kids remembered. She made sure they knew the area code as well.

When we were at Hollywood Studios, we saw a lost boy who was with a Cast Member. Again he stayed with the Cast Member and his grandmother came back a while later and found him. We were all stranded in a thunderstorm. I was so special to see this little boy re-united with his grandmother.

Flash
09-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Sharpie marker - cell phone # - inconspicuous place on your child's body that he/she can show a CM

Make a bracelet with the cell phone # on it

Tie a waterproof cell phone # tag to shoes

Point out all the different types of CMs - custodial, ride, etc. - let your child point some out to you in each park

wdw_bound
09-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Our game plan for our DD since she was 7: One of the very first things we do upon arrival at our resort is find a CM so that DD knows what a name badge looks like (not nearly as much variance throughout the world with these compared to costumes). The CM has always been happy to show DD their namebadge, and we've always ended up having a conversation with the CM about how lost parents are found. Since it is usually a CM at our resort, it is also neat because DD sees them throughout our stay and gets to be quite friendly with them.

DD also has a fanny pack in which we place a 3x5 card with cell phone numbers. She knows them, but this is in case she gets panicky and can't get them straight.

Finally, we don't pick a location, as we have been told by CMs that if DD tells a CM she has lost parents, and we approach a CM, we will be reunited. Our concern is that if DD is give a choice of a meeting place and/or finding a CM, she might try to find the meeting place on her own and get even more lost.

Hope this helps.

Have a great trip :mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Good ideas there.

I also like to point out - there are only maybe 3 or 4 other people in your group.

There are at any given time, at least 20-30 CM's in an area. Not including those we can get in touch with by radio...such as managers and security.

Who do you think will find them faster? ;)

Just remember - CM's cannot touch children, at all. Anything on their body, their clothes, we cannot touch and they need to be able to show us clearly or be able to take the tags or things off.

246belgrade
09-14-2008, 07:40 PM
thank you everyone!!

jrkcr
09-14-2008, 08:37 PM
I always taught my kids to STOP MOVING as soon as you realize you are lost. Most kids don't wander off very far before they notice they are lost. Sometimes if they just stand still and listen, you can find them by doing a "marco-polo" with their first and last name or they can call out to you-NOT mom/dad but use your real name.

kemps@wdw
09-14-2008, 08:51 PM
are 2-way radios an option. We always bring ours so we can stay in touch w/other members of our family. Our DD is 15 now and we all have cell phones, but we still use our 2-ways. Now when DD was younger, instructions were that same as the other posts. Tell them to find a CM asap and tell them their parents/guardians are lost. Set a designated meeting spot, so the CM can take them there. Or tell them to stay put and you will find them. And as hard as it may seem, tell them to stay calm. You may find that your youngins won't be nearly as frantic as you will be if they wonder away! We once had an 8-yr old w/our party that was walking around w/the older kids, and got bored because he couldn't ride some of the things the bigger kids were. So, he left, made his way to the monorail, and hopped a train back to the Poly, where we were all staying. He told the CMs @ the front desk who he was and showed them his room key, and they had him wait there in the lobby til his parents came for him! Frantic parents...Most definitely! But he didn't seem the least bit scared! (the older kids got in BIG trouble though!)