PDA

View Full Version : Who has been to a MNSSHP this year?

beachezncream
09-13-2008, 12:34 PM
We have tickets to the party on 9-23-08.
Anything new? What kinds of candy? Are there 2 parades?
Thanks

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
09-13-2008, 02:01 PM
We will be there the same day... Same questions as you....

ISLE39
09-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Make That 3 Ill Be There That Day Too

beachezncream
09-13-2008, 03:47 PM
awesome :mickey: so we need this information:thumbsup:

LauraleeH
09-13-2008, 04:57 PM
There are two parades, I don't know if anything was new but it seemed longer. Don't miss the Headless Horseman!!!
They edited the fireworks a bit.
There are a lot more decorations than there used to be.
The candy was not good. All sour, off brand candy. And they only gave one or two pieces. However, that was the first night so maybe they were just being stingy and saving the good stuff for later ;)
Lots of fun, scary music.
Lots to choose from as far as pins, t-shirts, and decorations.
Have fun!!!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Well, I don't know what candy you got, but everything I saw was like Butterfingers, Reeses, Baby Ruths, Nerds, Candy Corn, Runts.

It was all the good stuff!

There are two parades, one at 8:15, and another at 10:30. Happy Hallowishes goes off at 9:30. The Horseman rides for both parades, and he starts about 5-10 minutes before.

pixiebeliever
09-13-2008, 07:57 PM
We were there opening night (9/3) and are going back on the 19th.

We had a GREAT time!!! The park was not crowded at all. All the rides you could walk on pretty much. The only loooong lines were for Mickey, Minnie and Snow White and all 7 Dwarfs.

Mom2Princess'
09-13-2008, 08:14 PM
We will be there on the 23rd also! We leave for the world on Friday, I can't wait!:malef::jack::hmghost:

luvDaMouse
09-13-2008, 08:57 PM
We went to the party on 9/9 it was great! our first time. fireworks did not disapoint, saw the 1st parade from the Liberty tree tavern. We missed the headless horseman at that parade but we saw him at the 2nd parade on main street ( Very cool) Just make sure you are there 5 to 10 minutes before parade starts because he comes before parade. Candy is name brand, some CMs gave just a few pieces but when we went to the area in front of Mickeys house in toontown they reached in and gave us each a huge two handed bunch of candy! Also at HM that was lit up differently and was very cool. It was a fun time

sophie peach
09-14-2008, 07:13 AM
we are goin then!!!
hope its a dry night!
i dont think there will be anything new.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-14-2008, 05:35 PM
They only have a certain number of boxes per night and they need to make it last the whole night. Usually, as the night goes on they give more, especially at the end of the night.

The catch is that they also cannot save the candy so a lot is given out at the end and the rest is thrown out/given to CM's.

indytraveler
09-14-2008, 10:21 PM
We went last year. I suggest if you want MNSSHP collectibles, pins etc. you need to buy them the night you are there. It's a good time wish we were going this year. Have fun

Imagineer1981
09-15-2008, 10:49 AM
went last year and scored huge at like 11pm, we had bags and bags of candy...TOO MUCH:ill:

ShinynewJB
09-17-2008, 07:55 AM
We went to the party on the 9th (as well as the Keys to the Kingdom tour in the day as my birthday treat from my brother! :waycool:). It was our first MNSSHP, and I must say it was very cool. Tomorrowland was so deserted at one point that it was spooky (quite fitting really!).

I'm not all that familiar with American candy, but the selection was fairly good. Chew bars (Air Heads I think?), little "tablet" type sweets (think they were called Smarties), Jolly Ranchers, Starburst, peanut brittle type things. Wish we'd got more than one box of nerds though :P! I love those things. Between the three of us we just about filled one of the bags they give you. When we were waiting for the second parade, we spotted a family with a ruck-sack full of candy, as well as a full bag each :eyes:! So I guess it's up to the individuals as to how much you collect. I must admit, we didn't go to every trick or treat station.

Overall, it was good fun. I recommend it! :thumbsup:

luvdiznee
09-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Well, I don't know what candy you got, but everything I saw was like Butterfingers, Reeses, Baby Ruths, Nerds, Candy Corn, Runts.

There are two parades, one at 8:15, and another at 10:30. Happy Hallowishes goes off at 9:30. The Horseman rides for both parades, and he starts about 5-10 minutes before.

Reading this makes me want to go soooo bad. We are going to be there when there is a MNSSHP but I didn't buy tickets because the new family members that are coming weren't sure if they wanted to do all this. Believe me they already feel overwhelmed. And at the same time, I didn't want to just buy for my family. Who knows me and DD may just decide to sneak off on our own at the last minute.:bat::scrow::blackcat: I did tell her we are going to pack her costume, just in case. :cool:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Well........

Just a crazy idea....but you can leave them at home (aka the resort)! Let them relax a bit and go have fun at the party! Then tell them all about it so they get excited and want to go.

If they want, suggest they spend at the pools, or watching TV, walking through DTD, or if your resort has a spa while you guys are at the party.

yjgirl32
09-17-2008, 09:58 AM
That's what I will be doing if not everyone wants to go from my group. It sounds like a lot of fun- can't wait. Only 350 days to go!

luvdiznee
09-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Well........

Just a crazy idea....but you can leave them at home (aka the resort)! Let them relax a bit and go have fun at the party! Then tell them all about it so they get excited and want to go.

If they want, suggest they spend at the pools, or watching TV, walking through DTD, or if your resort has a spa while you guys are at the party.

I just may do exactly that.....:D

ChewyStriker
09-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Went to my first party on 9/12 and loved it. I've been to the Xmas party and Pirate and Princess Party, and this was my favorite.

The characters in costume are fun and the fireworks are amazing. The parade is also wonderful - my favorite of all I've seen (with the exception of Spectro - which I think is just a different animal).

The candy was good - a little of the cheap stuff, a bit of the good stuff. Toward the end of the night they did pile more in your bags. They did the same if you were at the end of the parade route.:mickey:

Strmchsr
09-17-2008, 04:23 PM

Jessica, we're going to be at the party on Sept 30. I know you met my (now) 8 yr old last year who is a diabetic. Do any of the locations have "diabetic" candy (sugar-free, etc)?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-17-2008, 05:18 PM
I think the only alternatives are raisins.

You could always bring it up to Disney and let them know that it's hard for your little one!

Strmchsr
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
You could always bring it up to Disney and let them know that it's hard for your little one!

Definitely! Neither I nor DS begrudge the other kids their candy (well, since I'm on a diet right now I do, but he doesn't :D), but I'd like some alternative for him. He's looking forward to being at the MNSSHP but I know it's going to be really hard for him watching all the other kids trick or treat and knowing that he can't. Raisins are obviously more healthy than candy, but for a diabetic child raisins are actually worse than candy. The carbs in them impact him more.

tinamousketeer
09-17-2008, 09:01 PM
My family and I will be there the same night just reading this makes me even more excited (if that is even possible) Enjoy !!!

g8rgirl29
09-25-2008, 11:43 AM
:cloud9:We went on the 19th and Loved every minute of it!! Best money we spent, aside from Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Boutique!!! I was a bit skeptical with the prices but WOW, best parade I have ever seen at MK!! Great shows, time flew by so fast though!! It was the only time I have ever walked right on to Peter Pan's flight, and got to stay on Big Thunder Mountain for another ride!!! I don't have a bad thing to say about it!!!

tinksmom02
09-25-2008, 11:54 AM
We were there on 9/16. Thought the candy was OK, not great (we got lots of Mary Janes :ack: didn't even know they still made them!), and some of the CMs were a little stingier than others.

However, DD6 and I walked onto BTMRR twice and sat in the front row both times. We also walked onto Splash twice (first row only once, though).

DH and the kids (especially the 18 month old) really enjoyed the dance party in front of Ariel's Grotto.

Wish I'd remembered about Snow White & the 7 Dwarves being out, by the time I spotted them the line was ridiculously long. We did meet Eeyore and Pooh in costumes, though.

Fireworks were cool, but we were in back of the castle (we're ALWAYS in back of the castle), so I'm sure we missed a lot of the show. Another website is selling a DVD of this year's MNSSHP, which I ordered so we can see everything we missed LOL

It's strange, but to me it seemed as though the crowds got worse as the night went on.

Figment104
09-25-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm curious if there have been lots of people dressing up in costumes at the parties so far? Kids and adults. My DH and I are going on the 13th and I'm in the process of making him a Capt. Jack Sparrow costume and I was going to bring a wench (tasteful or as tasteful as can be) for myself that I have.

Only 15 more days until we're back in the happiest place in the world! :cloud9:

Thanks!

bertasso59
09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
We went last Friday.Catch the first of two Villians shows if you want pics with the villians because the second show is too close to the parade and they said they wouldnt have time for photos(BTW there are no autographs,only photos).My DD got pics with all the villians.I stayed with her with the camera and my wife kept place in the next line and we just barely manged to get them all.They were wonderful,very into it,esp.Cruella and the SW Queen.Fireworks were great,try to get a clear view of the castle because they do a lot of projections on the walls.There was a ghost woman on a bench on the HM lawn who was great,asking me if something was wrong with me since I took a picture of a corpse.
Parade was great,watch the gravediggers,they scraped their shovels on the street and produced showers of sparks.We were bummed at the lack of Jack the Pumpkin King,was hoping for a NBC float.Rides are walk ons.Candy was brand name.Catch the trick or treat line along the Liberty Belle entrance.they set up a full side coffin with a spooky hand and mist coming out of it.All in all it went by way too quickly.If we didnt have a 4am ME pickup the next morning I would have wished for another three hours of party!:jack:

brdavis
09-26-2008, 10:49 AM
We'll be there on the 31st (!) - been to MNSS several times, but this is the first time doing it "on the day" (not planned, just how it worked out). Anything different then?

Favorite Disney moment? Our 2nd MNSS trip, it poured at around 7 PM, and while waiting out the rainstorm a CM started up a conversation with my kids. Turns out he picked them (and by extension two very happy parents) to sit in the front car of the parade. The only thing that beats the headless horseman is watching him disappear down the street in front of you, and knowing your going to be *following* him... :cloud9:

--
Brian Davis

thrillme
09-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Jessica, we're going to be at the party on Sept 30. I know you met my (now) 8 yr old last year who is a diabetic. Do any of the locations have "diabetic" candy (sugar-free, etc)?

With a lot of kids half the fun is the "collection" of the candy...you might consider letting him "collect" the candy and then sell the stuff to Mom (especially the chocolate) for "X" amount that he can spend in the disney store.

Then just save it and give it out for halloween.

karenrarintogo
09-26-2008, 06:36 PM
09-17-2008 01:16 PM

We were at the MNNSHP several days ago. The only non-sugary treat given out was a little box containing a Tigger &Pooh matching card game.

Nesser480
09-28-2008, 01:00 AM
I am going on 10/10 and I am so excited because I have never been before! I am a little worried about the rules of wearing costumes though. I bought my tickets online and picking them up at willcall and I have read those that printed out their tickets got rules or the rules were read to them over the phone. My costume isn't scary or anything but I don't want to be turned away for impersonating... I wrote an email but it hasn't been returned yet.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-28-2008, 10:31 AM
All costumes are perfectly acceptable, as long as they are appropriate. Meaning, you're not dressed as a Playboy Bunny or having blood all over you.

N2DisneyWorld
09-28-2008, 11:59 AM
I loved the halloween party. I wish we were going this year, but we couln't book our trip until November.

Have fun trick-or-treating!!! :mpumpkin:

dmosher
09-28-2008, 03:21 PM
We were just there a few weeks ago and it was amazing! Best place to see the headless horseman is just over the bridge, past the hub in Liberty Square. Grab one of the "caricature" chairs (don't move them just sit and it will be OK) and wait it out. SOOOO worth it, he runs up to the bridge and then slows down/stops right there. oh and sit so you can see the castle. have some great footage of him at the bridge with the castle in the back. Awesome!

Also, dress up!
DW and I did and it made it even better. Lots of attention from cast members and other people wanting there picture with Snow white and Prince Charming... and extra candy... very cool.
:pipes:
D

SurferStitch
09-28-2008, 08:54 PM
I am getting soooooo excited!!!!! We'll be at MNSSHP on 10/16, and I'm even more psyched now that my Tink costume is FINISHED!!!!!

Ack!!!!!

gmgdisneymom
09-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I am so excited. We finished our costumes last night - we are going on 10/9 - my DH is Darth Vadar; my DS9 is a clone trooper, I am Cruella and my DD6 is a dalmation - we can't wait

WDWRox
09-29-2008, 10:53 AM
We just got back from our 9/20 - 9/27 vacation and I was very annoyed to find MK all decorated already (in September, for crying out loud) with all that Halloween garbage. THEN, they take several evenings during our stay to close the park early for everyone BUT those going to the (IMO - truly stupid) MNSSHP events. Why can't they at least start all that junk in October, the month of Halloween? That really irked me to no end. THEN.....I couldn't help but wonder why people would want to get so dressed up in extra layers of heavy clothing for their costumes when it was sooo hot and humid down there this past week. I was dying in just my t-shirt and shorts.....wouldn't that be really uncomfortable for them and their kids?

(FYI.....yes I know many people enjoy MNSSHP and I don't mean to take anything away from that. I don't do anything with Halloween, and never have even while I was growing up. My problems with this event in WDW only involve the way too early decorating of the MK and the early closing of it during my vacation week when I wanted to stay and enjoy more time in the park.)

tinksmom02
09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
THEN.....I couldn't help but wonder why people would want to get so dressed up in extra layers of heavy clothing for their costumes when it was sooo hot and humid down there this past week. I was dying in just my t-shirt and shorts.....wouldn't that be really uncomfortable for them and their kids?

While I respectfully disagree with many of your points, I do agree with the one above. We went to MNSSHP on 9/16 and saw lots of kids (and adults) dressed in waht looked to be very uncomfortable clothes. We saw a MAN dressed in a head-to-toe Buzz lightyear costume--with hood and everything!

The adults in our group opted for matching T-shirts, DD6 wore her Jasmine costume, her friend wore a Yankees Jersey with shorts, and his little bro was "summer" Mickey--shorts and T-shirt. We may not have been the best looking group there, but at least we were comfortable!

Greenlawler
09-29-2008, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=WDWRox;1749985]We just got back from our 9/20 - 9/27 vacation and I was very annoyed to find MK all decorated already (in September, for crying out loud) with all that Halloween garbage. THEN, they take several evenings during our stay to close the park early for everyone BUT those going to the (IMO - truly stupid) MNSSHP events. Why can't they at least start all that junk in October, the month of Halloween? That really irked me to no end.

I tend to agree a little, we were there from 9/21-9/28 in thet time span they did the party three times but, there are two other parks that stay open late simply save Fantasmic or Illuminations for those nights.
My problems with the party are completly different but it has not stopped me from taking my family for the last 4 years. (time for some more villains)
As far as the costumes go now were just being snippy, if they choose to waer uncomfortable costumes its there choice.

gmgdisneymom
09-30-2008, 10:23 AM
I have to admit that i did take the weather into consideration when we planned our costumes. My DH and DS will be in full outfits - but they are very thin material and they do not have to wear clothes underneath. My DD will wear thin pants and a t-shirt. As Cruella, I have to wear fur - but i made a shawl instead of a coat. The thought of walking around MK in a fur coat in Oct is not my idea of a good time - I melt

Stich8818
09-30-2008, 07:18 PM
I keep reading were they edited something with the fireworks. What was changed?

TheWizofDiz
09-30-2008, 08:26 PM
We are going with my DS and a friend, DD and a friend and my DW and I on Friday, October 10th...for me, the highlights are the Boo-to-You Parade and the Hallowishes fireworks display. I always loved Halloween as a child and then combine that with the MK and I am there! I would strongly encourage any family that can take a long weekend vacation to do so in late Sept or in October to attend this event. I always thought it beat the MVMCP hands down...:thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
I keep reading were they edited something with the fireworks. What was changed?

In the show, when the villains take over and do their tricks, there is a segment with Maleficent after Oogie Boogie before the Scream-A-Long. Hers was the "darkest" segment, with the heaviest music and some cool fireworks.

This has been removed and now it segues directly from Oogie into the Scream-A-Long.

Stich8818
09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
In the show, when the villains take over and do their tricks, there is a segment with Maleficent after Oogie Boogie before the Scream-A-Long. Hers was the "darkest" segment, with the heaviest music and some cool fireworks.

This has been removed and now it segues directly from Oogie into the Scream-A-Long.

Great they took out one of my favorite parts...I thought maybe it was Oogie that got it...oh well...Thanks for the answer..

garthbarth1
09-30-2008, 10:05 PM
We went to the party on the 26th and it was great! Tomorrow I will be posting my full list of candy (as I did last year) so those of you going will know what to expect. There was a great variety! Sadly the headless horseman did not ride before the 2nd parade...it was a clear, beautiful night, so Im not sure why he did not ride? Jessica...any ideas? Fireworks and parade were great...rides were walk-ons. Magic Kingdom is already decorated...but moslty main street. Its not like there are pumpkins, ghosts, things decorated everywhere.No decor or rides, ques, anything like that. There are pumkins on the bulidings and light posts going down main street to each land...and two carved in the Liberty Tree Tavern. In Liberty Square there were green and purple bulbs in the lamps instead of regular ones. The castle was lit up orange but also changed to many different colors. Party was great!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-30-2008, 10:16 PM
If the Horseman didn't ride for the second parade on a good night, the fault is probably with the horse.

Or as much as I hate to say it, possibly another cutback.

garthbarth1
09-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks Jessica! I know he rode the first parade...and we had two people at Peco Bills tell us to make sure we saw the headless horseman before the parade. (we were eating about 45 minutes before the second parade) Then the parade started and I asked a CM working the parade route about the him and he just said he only rode the first parade and that was it. Several people around me were disappointed too!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-01-2008, 01:39 AM
He is *supposed* to ride for both.

But like I said, if it wasn't something with the horse or the Horseman, then I'd blame the cutbacks and penny-pinchers.

BrowncatP
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I went on Sept 12, and overall was disappointed. I thought that there would be alot of decorations. What you see in the MK right now is just about everything that is on display for the MNSSHP. The parade is nice though. I would not go again.

faline
10-01-2008, 08:42 PM
We went to the first party. Very fun though I didn't notice anything very different from prior parties.