PDA

View Full Version : Getting Whites White

Jeri Lynn
09-13-2008, 07:51 AM
My son played in his first Varsity football game last night. They played in the pouring rain...this morning I am faced with a white football jersey that looks brown and his white under-armour girdle that is another shade of brown. Thankfully his game pants are black.

Is there hope in getting these whites white again?

And they won the game 28-7, this is the first time in 7 years they have beat this team!!

tink'72
09-13-2008, 08:23 AM
I have a DS who is determined to not wear shoes, he is outside all the time in just socks. Too get them clean I wash in warm water , put the bleach in after the water has filled up. I let the washing machine wash for about 5 minutes and then I open the lid. I let the whits soak in the bleach for however long needed. Once they look good I close the lid and let the washer finish the cycle. Usually works for me.

conorsmom2000
09-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Conor, too, has a habit of going outside in his socks, just as he has a habit of spilling chocolate or some kind of red juice on himself when he's wearing a white shirt. I normally will put some detergent (tide) directly on the stains, roll up the item of clothing and let it sit. Then, our washer has a soak feature, so I will use hot water, detergent and bleach and let it soak for a few hours. Then I do a pre-wash, then a regular wash (also in hot water) and the stains normally come out. It is not easy though!! :D

kakn7294
09-13-2008, 08:58 AM
If the uniform has dried mud on it, brush off as much as you can then you can use something like Oxyclean with the enzymes in it but what works even better is to get digestive enzymes sold at health food stores and in the vitamin section of pharmacies. The powder is easier but you can use the pills too - they will either need crushed or the capsules opened. Make a paste with some water and rub it onto your stains. Let it sit at least an hour then wash. I also like the stain treater sold at my local Life Uniform shop - works really well on some nasty nursing stains and we've used it on the kids clothes as well.

andreallybadeggs
09-13-2008, 09:46 AM
My sis in law recommended using dish washer powder (Cascade) along with regular detergent in the wash cycle for my son's white baseball pants.
Been a few years so I don't remember the amount I used but it worked well. Congrat's on the victory/:number1:

disneydeb
09-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Oxyclean in massive doses. Our high school washed its own football uniforms, but not for the other sports.Good luck and congratulations.

LauraF
09-16-2008, 09:01 AM
If the fabric can handle it, bleach is by far the best option for getting stains like that out.

For my delicates (and if that football jersey is that soft polyester it might be better) I use OxiClean gel, which comes in a big blue spray bottle. You put it on the stains, rub it aorund for a while and then wash it like normal. It got some grease stains out of a white shirt for me that nothing else was getting clean.

crazypoohbear
09-16-2008, 12:32 PM
for my Ds' baseball pants I would use detergent, bleach, and lestoil. Then fill up the washer and let them soak awhile in the washer.

mdhiggin
09-16-2008, 01:41 PM
For my whites like socks and undies, I use hot water with Tide and OxyClean in the machine. Works wonders.

pandkx3
09-16-2008, 04:04 PM
As a mom with three football playin' boys, I know oxyclean works wonders:mickey: