PDA

View Full Version : Studio cooking

Johnno52
09-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Does anybody know if a slow cooker and/or a George Foreman type grill can brought in and used in the studios? A DVC member did tell us that they had used one, however we are concerned if this is legal and wouldn't set of the fire alarms. :confused:

tundramom
09-12-2008, 08:21 PM
The slow cooker definitely would not be a problem. The grill I've not used. I would assume if you can use it in your own home without setting off an alarm then it would be no different. The counter space would be more the issue. You only have about a 3 ' run of counter under cupboards, there is an outlet for the coffee pot, so that's covered. I've not read any rules re: this issue, and I read just about everything. Hope this helps. Oh, just an afterthought, you do realize you only have a mini fridge right?

Maleficent's Dad
09-13-2008, 08:29 AM
My initial reaction to your question was that Disney would never allow outside cooking items to be brought in and used.

But as tundramom stated, I can't find anything that states you're not allowed.

To be safe, I would call MS and check. I strongly suspect these items aren't allowed, but I can't confirm one way or another... :scratch:

Anyone out there know? :confused:

Johnno52
09-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks for your replies TM & MD, I'm sure if I asked MS they would say no just to protect themselves.

We do stay at the studios all the time as we do not have that many points so we are aware of the small space and items in them.

As far as smoke alarms at home the toasters themselves can set them off if the toast is burning. The slow cooker would be the safest as only steam escapes as in the coffee pot. With having a microwave in there I'm sure they have an exhaust system of some sort. With the grill we are going towards Panini type sandwiches and not cooking meats.

The reasons we I am asking is that we want to buy more points so we can stay there for a month in the winter and making some of our own simple meals will be better for us.

DVC_dad
09-26-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm not advising you to break the rules, BUT...

I have a very large family (7 kids for the time being, there could be more God willing) and I can't say that I have never broken the rules at the DVC.

Maybe you could get a ground floor studio at OKW and use an extension cord and cook with it outside?

Technically, you wouldn't be using it INSIDE the room.

I dunno, I just know that I have empathy for this sort of thing. You have to sort of "make do" in some situations in life you know? I know that among valets and bellmen for DVC vs. WDW Hotels, the chief complaint goes something like this: "I hate working DVC, those members bring so much ****, food, drinks, and stuff into their rooms, I have to take at least double the number of pull carts than at the hotels."

Well afterall they are "home away from home" resorts aren't they? You can imagine with 7 kids the loads of stuff we bring in. Add to the food, drinks, and stuff, we also have diapers and game systems, laptops, everything else under the sun. To me, a slow cooker etc. doesn't seem like a big deal. Now of course I'm not recommending it to you officially on the record. My official reply is, check the rules. My off the record reply is...If it ain't in the contract that you can't, well then it ain't in the contract that you can't.