PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions....

jrpersinger
09-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Okay, I managed to talk my DH into going back to Disney after he pretty much vetoed our trip next year because he wanted to go somewhere else. For the past 10 years, we have only stayed at SOG and next year, we have decided to stay at actual resort and try the dining plan out. His idea...! We had originally planned to stay at the Caribbean Beach in the Pirates rooms, which is still a option (and actually what DH seen to make him decide we were going back to WDW). But then we started looking at the deluxe resorts. Specifically, the Contemp, Animal Kingdom, Wilderness Lodge and the Poly. I have stayed in the Contemp and Poly, both pre-1995. So it been awhile. We have decided to throw the Boardwalk in the running as of last night. Actually we were 100% sure last night that was where we wanted to stay, but now I am not so sure. Some of the reviews I have read do not have it ranked very high.

DH does not like the foo-foo looks of the rooms at the Boardwalk pre-refurb. He is not all about the flowers and wallpaper, etc. SOG is borderline to foo-foo for him, but he didn't care about it consindering the price. ;) He does like the looks of the room from after the re-furb. All the other hotels we have picked are manly enough for him.

I have no idea where to stay. Like I said, we have only stayed at SOG for the last 10 years. And for the price, SOG is hard to beat. We have not booked yet, we are waiting on his vacation to be approved. So it appears we have some time to think about it. So what can you tell me about these resorts? What pros and cons are there. It will be DH, myself and 2 DDs, 9 and 7. And we will be going in Aug.

TIA!

sisterslovindisney
09-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Well my choice is always Poly. My husband and boys love it and it's right across from the Castle so your girls will be on :cloud9: The monorail ride is awesome and watching Wishes from the Poly beach is amazing. The Volcano Pool is a big hit with the kids too. Have a great time choosing.

PittFan
09-12-2008, 06:07 PM
We are staying @ the Contemporary next year. It was one place we always wanted to stay and it was refurbed in 2006. Location and convenience mean alot to us and the Contemporary filled that need.

KronkHere
09-12-2008, 08:37 PM
...Yo ho me hearty...A Pirates Life For Me!!!!

:pirate::princess::wave::wave:

kemps@wdw
09-12-2008, 10:56 PM
As you can see from my signature, it would be the WL for us. :pine::deer2: Love the Pacific Northwoods themeing, the incredible, cavernous lobby, the soothing sights and sounds, and no foo-foo rom decor! And the location is great. Maybe its just me, but we just seem to spend less time on transportation @ the WL than at any other resorts we've stayed at. We've had all 4 views (woods, MK, Lodge, and Courtyard) and while all of them had their pluses, we preferred the courtyard view the best. But we have a tendency to spend a little more time @ our resort on our balcony, so we want a view! And as a deluxe, it runs just a little cheaper than the others.

goofygirl67
09-14-2008, 01:21 PM
AKL is great especially if you get Savannah view.

Wickster1970
09-18-2008, 09:29 AM
If he likes things rustic you could always try Alligator Bayou at POR.:number1:

SBETigg
09-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Wow, Jessica, he must be packing a whole lot of extra testosterone if he can't stand a foo-foo room for the time period of a mere vacation. You might want to get that checked out. ;)

Seriously, if you love everything else about the Boardwalk, maybe you should give it a shot anyway? Of course, the DH being happy and wanting to return would be your point, so I would probably head to the Poly, the WL, or the AKL- all seem to be appropriately manly in decor with a lot of great other things going for them, too. Best wishes with making the decision and I hope you have a great vacation!

Seasonscraps
09-18-2008, 10:40 AM
If the Boardwalk is too frilly for your DH but you want to stay in the EPCOT area, what about the Yacht Club? It has a nautical theme which may suit your DH a little better.

The WL is anything but frilly and it's beautiful at the same time! It's really convenient to the Magic Kingdom.

This is the great thing about Disney resorts, there's something for pretty much everyone. :D

KineGirl
09-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Ahhh another tough choice (LOL).. dont u just hate them?

We love AKL! My only reservation there would be if you were put on the sunset savannah where you are facing construction and there are only a few animals (due to finish winter/spring of '09). Request the Arusha Savannah. Other than that the resort is amazing! I took my hubby for his first trip to AKL for his bday this year and he was just in awe of the resort! Its so unique and beautiful ... and not foo foo ;-)

jrpersinger
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I somehow forgot to update this post yesterday. I updated on other about Caribbean Beach. But are going with the Contemporary Resort with a MK View. We are really excited about it too. I have stayed there several times before and I loved it. DH has only stayed at the Sports and Shades of Green. So he is really excited to experience a Deluxe.

We pretty much ended up narrowing down our choices to Contemporary, Animal Kingdom, Carribbean Beach and Boardwalk. Then we made a list of pro and cons for us on each.

The reasons we went with it were.....
The Rooms. We love the look of them, fits our style perfectly.
Monorail Resort. 2 out of 4 parks we can avoid a Bus! We are not really big fans of riding a bus -- anywhere! I am a bit claustrophic and crowded buses kinda freak me out.
The Location! We almost always end up at MK every evening. So it seemed more practical that we stay at a MK Resort.
And.... The View! Really, looking out at MK everynight and waking up to every morning it will be worth it to us! :cloud9:

DH being the dork he is, said every morning but 3 we are having breakfast at Chef Mickeys. The other 3 we are planning have breakfast at other character meals. Now, I don't see us actually doing that... but I am afraid he may be serious. And the girls thought it was a fab idea!

Wow, Jessica, he must be packing a whole lot of extra testosterone if he can't stand a foo-foo room for the time period of a mere vacation. You might want to get that checked out. ;)

LMAO! I told him the same thing. He is such a dude.

jrpersinger
09-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Also, I wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I didn't want to stick it in on the update post. It may have gotten lost in my rambling!

So.... Thanks Again Everyone.