PDA

View Full Version : Theme Park Lost & Found

mjaclyn
09-11-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm so upset...I lost my digital camera in the Magic Kingdom yesterday and I'm pretty sure that someone stole it. I had it in Mickey's Philharmagic and as soon as I noticed it was gone I went back to look for it and there was no sign of it anywhere. I asked numerous cast members, retraced my steps, checked Sir Mickey's and City Hall about a dozen times and I also called central Lost & Found today with no luck. I'm so mad at myself for losing it - I just don't understand how someone can find a camera and not feel guilty about keeping it after seeing all of the beautiful pictures I'd taken of my DD and our family on our trip. Now we have no pictures - that's what bothers me the most. I'm so sad and I feel sick about this. :(:ill:

My question is - what are the odds that someone will turn it in or that Central Lost & Found will have it now after today? I gave them my contact information in case they find it but I seriously doubt I'll ever get it back. Does anyone have any good experiences with losing something valuable and getting it back?:(

Piglet822
09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
We were at MK a couple of weeks ago and on the ferry heading back to TTC is when my boyfriend realized he did not have the truck keys. I telephoned Mary (MauiMouse) who was still in the park and, bless her heart, she went and retraced our steps but no keys. We did the same outside the park with no luck. Checked with Lost and Found, the whole bit.
We filed a report the next day (they were closed for the night when we came back out of the park after more searching) and 3 days later we got a call that our keys were found!
The odd thing is they were found in Tomorrowland. We were never in Tomorrowland!
I'm sending :pixie: to you that someone honest found your camera and will do the right thing. Please keep us posted. :fingers:

mrsgaribaldi
09-12-2008, 01:28 AM
I remember posts about people getting their stuff back after they got home. I hope that happens for you too.:pixie::pixie::pixie:

tink'72
09-12-2008, 07:39 AM
A few years ago my DD had just purchased a Tinker Bell visor. No sooner did she leave it someplace. She was very very upset. She had bought it with her own money :(. So we went to City Hall to let them know it was lost. They said nothing had been turned in but gave me their 1 800 lost and found number to keep checking. A few days after we got home I figured I would try calling...why not right. Well, don't you know someone had turned in the visor. Disney shipped it back to me in Massachusetts at no cost. I was thoroughly impressed.

Disneyfamilyof3
09-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Hi,

I'm so sorry that you lost your camera!:( Hopefully, some good soul found it and turned it in. My son forgot his camera case on the ride "Dinosaur" at AK; and it was turned it. We picked it up either that evening or the next day by the lost and found by ticket transportation I think? By the kennel.

You never know,...sometimes when you think the worst, people can surprise you.

doombuggy
09-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Definately keep checking. Whever we find something in our shop, we take it over to L&F.

DizneyRox
09-12-2008, 09:52 AM
I'd make a point of checking back often. Unclaimed items in lost and found are sold to CMs after some time (used to be called Property Control). I picked up a digital camera myself one time, CHEAP TOO!

ISLE39
09-12-2008, 09:54 AM
years back iin 1988 on my first trip to wdw i left my 110mm camera in our rental car. we called when we got home to NY and they found it and shipped it home to me.

MY ADVICE AND HERE IS WHAT I DO FOR ALL OF MY IMPORTANT ITEMS I CARRY INCLUDING MY CELL PHONE
I TAKE ADDRESS LABELS AND I STICK THEM TO EVERYTHING THAT IF I LOST I WOULD WANT RETURNED. I WRITE MY PHONE NUMBER ON IT. I WRITE MY CELL N HOME NUMBER ON IT. I SOMETIMES PUT 2 LABELS ON THINGS. I PUT THESE ON MY LAPTOP, DIGITAL CAMERAS, CELL PHONE, VIDEO CAMERA AND MY PHOTOPASS CARD. YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE COMPLIMENTS I GET FROM THE PP PEOPLE BECAUSE MY CARD IS ACTUALLY ON FILE IN MY ACCOUNT SO I WILL NEVER EVER LOSE THE PICTURES I ALREADY TOOK. THAT IS MY ADVICE

TinkerbellT421
09-12-2008, 10:02 AM
I really hope a good soul found that camera and that you will get it returned back to you. I would be completely :sick: if it were me. I am so sorry. Prayers and pixie dust for you to get back your precious pictures of memories with your daughter. :pixie::pixie:

In January, DBF and I got into a vehicle at Test Track and we found a men's wallet on the floor, we did not even look in it, we handed it right to the CM. It was very thick. I would hate to be on vacation and someone find my wallet and not return it. That would be horrible. I just hope the CM's were able to find the rightful owner. We felt so bad for the guy. :(

SBETigg
09-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Keep checking. It's possible! We lost my son's cell phone on Space Mountain, and we did get it back at the TTC's Lost and Found. But another year, my husband left a camera in a cab heading to Spoodles and we never got that one back. Best wishes with it!

Imagineer1981
09-12-2008, 11:06 AM
ya, its hit or miss. If a CM finds it, you will definitely get it back, however not all guests are as honest. Remember to keep checking though, unclaimed items get sent to CM sales at Property Control

TheRustyScupper
09-12-2008, 11:12 AM
1) As mentioned, it truly is hit-and-miss.
2) Personal items (hats, phones, sunglasses) have a good shot.
3) Generic items (cameras, minicams) have a lot less chance of being returned.
4) However, there are some people who are super-honest.
5) I have seen wallets with major cash inside turned in.
6) Hope for the best.

grumpyguy
09-12-2008, 11:17 AM
good luck,have faith.maybe you'll get lucky and
a true disney person will be the one to find your camera and realize how important the memories are and turn it in:thumbsup:

FriendsofMickey
09-12-2008, 11:23 AM
I hope someone turns it in for you!

My husbands aunt had someone pick up her prescription sunglasses years ago (stole them)!

My husband dropped over $100 dollars at a restaraunt and the waitress ran it out to us. It was our first day there and was at the restaraunt at CBR. I am not sure why he had so much cash... I really think it was 160 or so.

Last year, I got on a bus from MK to FQ and found a wallet. I told the bus driver right away and never touched it. I just had him grab it.

So, there are honest people out there. Hopefully, one of them found your camera.

maxrebo77
09-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Keep trying the Lost and Found. I turned in $300 I found getting off Sp Mt in DL. If it is the same in DW there is a 90 day rule before they can dispose of anyone's things. I think most people that go to Disney would think of how losing something important could really ruin a trip. Plus, it can take a little time in a big place for stuff to turn up.
the best of luck to you:thumbsup:
BTW, the money I found was returned to the family that lost it. They sent me a card. Lost and Found has you fill out a form if you turn something in.

Main Street Jim
09-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Unclaimed items in lost and found are sold to CMs after some time (used to be called Property Control). It still is ;) If it's not returned to the owner(s) within 30 days from Central L&F, it goes to property control.

Large-cash-value items - cameras, video cameras, wallets, etc. are supposed to be turned in to a manager or coordinator. If it's a wallet with ANY cash in it, the Cast Member is supposed to get no less than their manager to stand there so they both can count the cash in it, then it gets turned in to that park or resort's Lost and Found.

For those of you that don't know, Central Lost and Found is located at the Transportation and Ticket Center, at the Kennel just outside the TTC. That's where ALL lost & found gets turned in to on the next available day. If it's same-day, it goes to the park/resort L&F. Central L&F is open until 7:00pm 7 days a week.

SnowWSue
09-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I left my cam-corder at DD Marketplace. I called lost and found the next morning when I noticed it was missing. They had me call back later in the day, and it had been turned in. So, there is a chance you'll get your camera back! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.:mickey:

thrillme
09-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I'd keep the faith. Yes it's a high dollar item but there's always a good chance.

A lot of cameras today look alike. It could have been possible that maybe somebody picked it up thinking it was theirs. I've done this manuever before before with a cell phone. I had forgotten mine that morning but I almost ALWAYS have it with me. I was somewhere and on a bench or something and the person next to me put their phone down next to me. I got up and instinctively took it with me.

Fortunately I clicked rather quickly that it wasn't mine and I slipped it back where the person had put it. They were talking and didn't realize I took it. :blush:

hardingella
09-12-2008, 01:43 PM
I do really feel for you. Can you let us all know the outcome of this, i pray that an honest somebody has handed it in.

hardingella
09-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I promised my husband i would not remind him of this but on our honeymoon he left the vidoe camera behind in the lobby of our hotel one evening. It wasnt until we got up the next morning that we realized we no longer had it:oops:. Bad enough, but it still had the tape in of the entire wedding on it:fit:.Thankfully (and luckily) for my husband it had been found and handed in to a cast member otherwise It might have been a very short marrage and honeymoon!!!

MickeyMousse
09-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Think positive.:thumbsup:

On our honeymoon, my DH found a man's wallet on the floor while we were in The Emporium at MK. There was a security guard there who took it from us and went off to the Lost and Found.

12 years later, during our first trip with our DS, we left our small digital camera bag on the floor at Playhouse Disney. Neither of us realized it until we were doing the Backlot Tour. Of course we hussled back to Playhouse (Backlot never felt longer!) to find it was gone. With a totally inconsolable wife, :cry: my DH booked over to Lost and Found. There it was! :minnie: To this day I'd kiss the feet of whomever turned it in. That camera had captured memories we'd never have again.

So, keep the faith. :angel: There ARE good people out there, sometimes it takes time. Keep checking!!

justice11
09-12-2008, 04:13 PM
my teenage grand-daughter lost her digital camera, disney found it and mailed it home to her, and my youngest daughter left her twins diaper bag last year by soarin and never got it back, go figure.

Disneyfamilyof3
09-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I once found a wallet with several hundred dollars in it on a ride at 6 Flag Great Adventures in New Jersey: and I found the person who lost it and gave it back. The couple was absolutely frantic to lose that amount of money and actually couldn't believe that I gave it back.

I would like to think most people would turn it in to the lost and found,...I'll pray for you.

CaptainSad
09-12-2008, 06:02 PM
i had the opposite experience back this past December. I was going to MVMCP on the 18th and was about to get a locker rental. A English man came up to me and said he was leaving and asked if I wanted his key. I even offered to give him what he was going to get back $2. He said no and i thanked him. I went to the locker and opened it up to put my stuff I didn't want to drag around with me that night. I noticed a big envelope in the locker. This family left all there airplane tickets and other stuff in there. I guess they were going to leave that night back to England. I took it back to the locker rental place was and turned it in. The CM took my name and phone number for some reason. Later I got a call from this man. He thanked me for my thoughtfulness and honesty and asked for my address so he could keep in touch. A couple of weeks later I got a package in the mail. It had all kinds of goodies his wife made. Cookies and stuff. I was really surprised to find a $100 bill in that package I'll tell you. Of course I mailed a letter thanking him and said he really didn't have to do it. I guess it pays to be nice. I'm glad I could help him..

I hope you get your camera back..

mjaclyn
09-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their pixie dust and good wishes!!! I'm going to call Lost & Found again tomorrow to check again. Does anyone have the 800 number? My camera was very distinct so if it was turned in, they'd definitely know... It's a bright red Sony Cybershot in a pink leather case. I'm just so upset that all of my DD's pictures from our trip are on there. It actually creeps me out to think that someone took it with the intention of keeping it and is now viewing our vacation photos.

The ironic part is...I had actually lost my camera earlier in the trip on the monorail. I called as soon as I learned it was missing and someone had turned it in to the TTC!! I guess I may not be so lucky this time unfortunately. :-( I'm so mad at myself for losing it twice!! How ridiculous is that??

Lizzie
09-12-2008, 09:25 PM
I think sometimes it may take a while for things to get around the system. My sister had a tshirt fall out of a stroller and checked for a few days. And they couldn't find it but a month later she got it in the mail.

thumperbug
09-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I got a small box delivered to me at home around 8 months after a stay at WDW. It contained my gold name plate necklace that my parents had given me when I was 12 (Im now 40). I honestly had no idea it was even lost. I only wear it occassionaly. I had looked around my house for it but didn't think it was missing.

But when I opened that box, and my necklace was there...I started crying. I upset that it had been lost, happy it had been found, and crying because of what it means to me.

I never got the name of the person who found the necklace. My theory on how they found it was that they were doing a major cleaning, pulling furniture out etc and found it. And then I guess they went back over the guests who had stayed in the room and found a guest name with the same name.

I refer to that as my Disney Miracle. To have something returned to me that was not reported lost.....there was some major pixie dust flying that day.

minnie1956
09-13-2008, 12:00 AM
My Mom misplaced her camera at Typhoon lagoon with ALL her developed and undeveloped film in it. some kind soul turned it in. My Dd left her backpack on Buzz Lightyear w/her Gameboy,, games,money and all her pins she lost that day. Again, it was turned in.
I left my new Advantix camera at the Rain Forest in DTD. Didn't realize until the next morning when we packing to LEAVE!! Yep, it was turned in!

Keep the faith. Good luck!

mjaclyn
09-13-2008, 09:51 AM
HOORAY!!!! I called Lost & Found this morning and they found my camera!!! I guess what happened was that the guest who found it turned it in back at their resort and that's why it took a few days to get to the central Lost & Found. We're home now so they're going to mail it to me on Monday. I'm so happy!!!! Thank you SO much to whoever found and turned it in! YAY!! :party::cloud9::cloud9::mickey:

pink
09-13-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm glad you found your camera! :thumbsup:

i had the opposite experience back this past December. I was going to MVMCP on the 18th and was about to get a locker rental. A English man came up to me and said he was leaving and asked if I wanted his key. I even offered to give him what he was going to get back $2. He said no and i thanked him. I went to the locker and opened it up to put my stuff I didn't want to drag around with me that night. I noticed a big envelope in the locker. This family left all there airplane tickets and other stuff in there. I guess they were going to leave that night back to England. I took it back to the locker rental place was and turned it in. The CM took my name and phone number for some reason. Later I got a call from this man. He thanked me for my thoughtfulness and honesty and asked for my address so he could keep in touch. A couple of weeks later I got a package in the mail. It had all kinds of goodies his wife made. Cookies and stuff. I was really surprised to find a $100 bill in that package I'll tell you. Of course I mailed a letter thanking him and said he really didn't have to do it. I guess it pays to be nice. I'm glad I could help him..

That is a nice story. :mickey:

VWL Mom
09-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Great News!

hardingella
09-13-2008, 10:35 AM
:mickey::thumbsup::cloud9::):woohoo::joy::mjump:
A happy ending.

MickeyMousse
09-13-2008, 11:00 AM
YAY! :clappy: So glad to hear that your camera was found. See, there are still some great, honest people in the world! :mickey:

Mickeydream
09-13-2008, 04:14 PM
So glad to hear about your camera. All those wonderful memories are not lost after all. I think that most folks who visit WDW are family people who understand how you must have felt.

A few years ago my husband left our camera on the top of a garbage can near Ariel's grotto. It was still there 20 minutes later when he discovered it missing. :)

badkitty
09-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah! I am so glad you got your camera back. It is heart-warming to know there are still nice and honest people in the world!

Meteora
09-16-2008, 09:45 AM
I just wanted to say that it is really something to read through this thread and see how many people have had missing items returned to them. I think it really says something about the people who work and vacation at WDW that so many people have had their valuable items returned to them in the condition they were lost in. It almost gives you hope for humanity. ;)

As for your camera's little trip, I bet someone picked up the camera intending to turn it in, forgot, and only remembered later when they returned to their resort and opened their bag. I've been guilty of similar things in the past. :blush:

tys_mommy
09-16-2008, 10:18 AM
My question is - what are the odds that someone will turn it in or that Central Lost & Found will have it now after today? I gave them my contact information in case they find it but I seriously doubt I'll ever get it back. Does anyone have any good experiences with losing something valuable and getting it back?:(

We left a bag in the food court at Pop last month and it showed up in lost and found a day later. We had over $50 in cash in there along with some disposable cameras, and about 20 pins for DS to trade – all were still intact when the bag was returned. We were soo grateful.

DizNee143
09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
yay!! so happy to hear it was found!!:mickey:

Tinkerbella16
09-16-2008, 01:00 PM
That is wonderful that it was found and returned. Its the worst feeling when you lose something and think its gone, but the best feeling when someone turns something in.

I was very lucky last year. I was on BTMR and placed my camera in the little pouch that is on the car. I completely forgot about it, and left it there. I didn't notice it for about an hour, we were in Fantasyland and I wanted to get a picture and noticed it was gone. So my cousin and I literally ran back to BTMR, through the parade crowds and everything. I ran into the exit of the ride and asked the CM's is anyone found a camera. Thankfully they had it. Someone had turned it in.

I never felt so thankful for that because someone could have easily just taken it with them. I know that if I find something, I am turning it in... Some people just don't care, so they steal it. I still wish I could know who turned my camera in so I could personally thank them for it.

Piglet822
09-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm so glad your camera was found :)