PDA

View Full Version : Should Disney update MuppetVision?

Imagineer1981
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I was listening to MuppetVision on live365 and started thinking about how the 3D effects in that film really aren't up to par with other attractions like Philharmagic and Tough to be a Bug. I think the closest something comes to "jumping out at you" is when Waldo's nose runs around, other wise it still seems kinda flat now since the tech has improved. Would you replace the ride, update the film, or leave it? I personally would love to see it updated to MuppetVision 4D, and have it much more interactive and state of the art.

January-2007
09-11-2008, 12:24 PM
I think it's great just the way it is. It was one of the last projects Jim Henson worked on before he died so I think it would be nice to let it remain the same. Plus, it's just such a cute show! :mickey:

DisneyMomma23
09-11-2008, 12:32 PM
i love the show so much as it is. however if they did a really great job (like HM or POTC, not like Imagination or Stitch) on an update i could get used to the idea.
But, they better not touch the pre-show! I think i like the pre-show more than the actual show :blush:

Imagineer1981
09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
i love the show so much as it is. however if they did a really great job (like HM or POTC, not like Imagination or Stitch) on an update i could get used to the idea.
But, they better not touch the pre-show! I think i like the pre-show more than the actual show :blush:

I do love that pre-show..."besides they're tourist, what'da they know?"

CU Tiger
09-11-2008, 12:45 PM
I enjoy the show, but I would not mind an update.:mickey:

JPL
09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
I think even before they consider updating the show they need to revive the Muppets.

Wickster1970
09-11-2008, 12:51 PM
I agree that it could use a refresher...and add Pepe the King Prawn. :mickey:

DisneyHoneymooners
09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Muppets is one of our favorites, we see it every year. An update would be nice but not too much change, after all it is a sort of tribute to Jim Henson. More muppet themed attractions would be great.

azcavalier
09-11-2008, 01:21 PM
I think even before they consider updating the show they need to revive the Muppets.

Actually, I remember reading an article not too long ago that they are looking to make another Muppet movie. They have already gotten the writers (the guys who did "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" apparently). I sure hope that it's better than Muppets in Space. Ugh.

TheRustyScupper
09-11-2008, 02:38 PM
1) I really enjoy the 3D movie.
2) But, after all these years, it could use a change.

BeccaO
09-11-2008, 02:38 PM
An update to the movie might be nice, but not to the movie itself, just add some more 3D things to it. The pre-show I have to agree is funny!!!

big blue and hairy
09-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I do love that pre-show..."besides they're tourist, what'da they know?"

Rat schmat!

:sulley:

prttynpnk
09-11-2008, 03:27 PM
If the effects could be tweeked without losing the vintage Henson touch, I think I wouldn't protest.

big blue and hairy
09-11-2008, 05:18 PM
I wonder if the technology exists to improve the 3-d effect on the old movie. I would hate to lose a Jim Henson classic. It would be the same to me as the Carousel Of Progress, a Walt Disney classic. It may not be the most technologically advanced thing in the park, but Walt & Jim aren't doing anything new....:(

kadesha
09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
No, no update. Just get rid of it.

I saw Philharmagic and ITTBAB before seeing Muppets. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed and bored with Muppets. The fountain outside is neat though.

SpecJoe Magic
09-12-2008, 12:45 AM
An update to the special effects and the film quality would be great, but I think the film itself should be left the same. A small part of me likes the idea of a film change, but it might not turn out so well, and it would be a shame to eliminate one of Jim Henson's last projects.

RobWreck
09-12-2008, 12:52 AM
For anyone that thinks that they should change/update/get rid of Muppetvision, can I kindly direct your attention to 'The Enchanted Tiki Room' and 'Journey Into Your Imagination'?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it... and Muppetvision certainly ain't broke (judging by the smiles and laughs you see and hear during the show...)
Rob

big blue and hairy
09-12-2008, 09:05 AM
No, no update. Just get rid of it.

I saw Philharmagic and ITTBAB before seeing Muppets. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed and bored with Muppets. The fountain outside is neat though.
That, to me is like saying to get rid of IASW. Muppetvision is a classic.

Imagineer1981
09-12-2008, 11:10 AM
For anyone that thinks that they should change/update/get rid of Muppetvision, can I kindly direct your attention to 'The Enchanted Tiki Room' and 'Journey Into Your Imagination'?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it... and Muppetvision certainly ain't broke (judging by the smiles and laughs you see and hear during the show...)
Rob

While I agree, and don't get me wrong, its a must see for us and I love it, I just want the effects updated. I am sure they could do it

MaxPower
09-12-2008, 03:34 PM
At the end of Muppetvision, when you see the crowd in the film, their hairstyles and attire are VERY dated.

darthmacho
09-12-2008, 06:15 PM
A lot of great points here. The effects are clearly outdated, the hairdos at the end as well, and some could argue the same about the Muppets themselves.

Nevertheless, the script is very good, and I find it hard to believe that a new one would top it. What passes for humor these days is questionable. I'd hate to see a show full of flatulent and burping Muppets. Reaction to updated shows and rides like Stitch, Tiki Room, or JIYI, confirm our fears of a downgrade, though I actually like the new Tiki Room.

One option would be to get rid of it. I'm not sure if I like that option either, as it would be a sad day for Jim Henson fans and a bit of a stain on his legacy. Perhaps a fresh new Muppets show by those who knew him well enough to follow in his footsteps, would be the best option?

I'm not sure if I ever answered the question, so in closing, I'll say they should upgrade it, but only carefully, and know they will never satisfy everyone. :kermit::animal::pepe::beaker::gonzo::sam:

Mickeydream
09-12-2008, 07:40 PM
My vote is to leave it alone. I love 3D Muppetvision just the way it is. As for the hairstyles and clothing that are outdated... all a part of the charm! :kermit:

sportsguy2315
09-13-2008, 01:09 AM
I say keep it intact, the "cheap 3-D tricks" are so well done! Besides, it'd be unpatriotic! :funny: However, I imagine if there is a "Muppet Land" added to DHS, I'd understand and try to embrace the new film.

pink
09-13-2008, 09:52 AM
I really love Muppet Vision the way it is, I hope they never change the movie itself. However, I can't help but notice the little black dots in the screen when I'm watching it. If they could somehow update the screen or something like that then that would be good. Otherwise, I hope they just keep it the way it is. I never realized how outdated it was until I saw Mickey's Philarmagic. :mickey:

AmandaChan
09-13-2008, 11:01 AM
AS much as I love this attraction I would have to agree slightly on the tech improvement. However I don't want them to go hog wild and change the whole show? I dono, it's such a great story and it's funny. I really hope they would be able to do it justice.

:fozzie:

Sylvia
09-13-2008, 11:16 AM
AS much as I love this attraction I would have to agree slightly on the tech improvement. However I don't want them to go hog wild and change the whole show? I dono, it's such a great story and it's funny. I really hope they would be able to do it justice.

:fozzie:
:ditto::ditto::ditto:

Darbylew
09-13-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't think they should get rid of it as the
little children love it and that is what it is all
about. I do however think it should be updated.

MickeysEars
09-13-2008, 11:45 AM
all they have to do to update it is take the original film and update the effects. The film itself is cute. But if they did, I am sure they would respect the original.

GoldenDreams
09-13-2008, 08:22 PM
There are so many great aspects to this attraction. My favorite is the animatronics with the 2 old guys and the bunny, and then the wall.

I make sure I see this on every trip. But I'm getting bored with Honey I Shrunk the Audience and It's Tough to be a Bug. So I guess I don't want to see any changes.

I would say that if they were going to redo this, they shouldn't change it, just fix the technicalities of the 3-D (if that's even possible???).

jedigrrrl
09-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Other than stupid Waldo, this attraction is close to perfect. HILARIOUS!! And I have seen it like 100 times. seriously.

If they change it it WILL be ruined.

lotsofthumbsup
09-21-2008, 07:43 PM
oh man, this is a toughie!

Although Muppetvision is outdated technically and a bit stylistically, I feel like the core (the script, the jokes, etc.) of it is still as up-to-date as ever. People are still laughing! Although HISTA and ITTBAB are more recent I still prefer Muppetvision over them.

If only they could keep the original script but just reshoot everything on nicer film...:blush:

OleDoleDoffin
09-22-2008, 07:05 AM
If they update the movie, it wouldn't have Jim Henson's voice in it any more :cry:

caryrae
09-22-2008, 09:07 AM
I am one who says get rid of it. We haven't bothered seeing it the last few times we have been to WDW same with HISTA.

TheWizofDiz
09-22-2008, 10:58 AM
I clearly don't like touching anything that is considered abit on the "classic" side....but, I feel they should definitely do something with Muppets...I agree that the 3-D is clearly lacking compared to the newer technologies. If they can ehnance instead of totally screwing it up (like Stitch),:sick: I am all for it!

bertasso59
09-22-2008, 12:12 PM
I was never a fan of this film though Im an avid Muppet fan,not their best work.It should be updated or even replaced.

Cookie123
09-22-2008, 02:33 PM
I still love this attraction. I would not want to see it changed. The film is getting worn out and grainy, if they could just clean that up a bit and make it brighter ??
Otherwise ...... I say don't change it !

Marker
09-22-2008, 03:26 PM
I am a huge Muppet fan, and really like this attraction regardless of the 3D effects. I simply love the Muppet humor. Just last week while I was there I spent some time wandering throught the outdoor queue area looking (and laughing) at the humor they added out there.

My fear in an upgrade is that they would lose that "real" Muppet humor. Unless they could get the real Muppet writers to put something new together I just don't see it being as true to the classic Muppet feel regardless of how good of a job they did. And the voice talent is important too. Obviously you can't get Jim Henson to do Kermit.

If you're only going to the show for the 3D effects, you might be disappointed. If if you appreciate the Muppets, it is a classic as ANY attraction in Walt Disney World.

Belster
09-22-2008, 03:31 PM
I agree with the pp on both attractions. Compared to what is offered now Philar Magic and such those other two are just terrible. We will not be going on either for our next trip. :mad:

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-22-2008, 09:43 PM
As a long time Muppet fan I have to say I will take grainy and somewhat dated over the "soul less" computer generated graphics that pass for animation today.
A really good attraction doesn't depend on having the newest flashiest technology, it has clever writing and imagination.

OK, I admit it, I'm definitely old-school...:old:

And I will climb off :soapbox:

Insanity Clause
09-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I guess I am a purest because I think I would upset if they messed with the Muppets. I love this attraction, I think it is my favorite at HS. Of, course I have been on TSM yet. But I love the Muppets...have you seen my avatar and quote?

AdventurerKim
09-23-2008, 01:21 PM
We love the Muppets and MuppetVision 3D, but if it was changed to something good, that would be okay. If it was changed to a not-so-entertaining 3D movie, then I would be very disappointed, like with Monster Sound Show and Sounds Dangerous.

Imagineer1981
09-23-2008, 04:46 PM
I just want the effects updated. I love the show!!!!

PirateLover
09-23-2008, 06:22 PM
As an avid Muppet fan, I feel that there is no way they could make a better Muppet movie for WDW at this point. I am very excited at the prospect of new things with the Muppets, but this show and the once aired special "Muppets at Walt Disney World" were the very last things Jim worked on before his death. Not only that, but they were also the last thing that fellow muppeteer and close friend Richard Hunt worked on as well before he passed away. A Muppet Christmas Carol was released after both of their deaths, and that certainly contained the same Muppet spirit. Muppets Tonight tv show wasn't bad... but the Muppets started going down hill. Muppets in Space was an embarrasment. Scooter raving on the front porch????
Anyway, since then, many people have left. Frank Oz no longer does Muppets, and Jerry Nelson, another big muppeteer, had been battling illness off and on. To top it all off, one of the head Muppet writers, Jerry Juhl, has also passed away.

The truth is the Muppets are in a rough spot. If they can get writers who embrace the original Muppet spirit and humor instead of just mocking pop culture, that's a start. However they also need to find Muppeteers who can handle the voices and the muppets themselves. This is a tall order and while we may see some GOOD Muppet stuff in the future, I don't think they could ever top what those original guys (and gals!) pumped out back in the day. So.... to sum it all up... LEAVE THE MOVIE ALONE :cool: (although a film restoration would be welcome!)

iDisney
09-24-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm torn on this one. I love the MuppetVision as is. It is a classic and a must do on every trip, but it is showing it's age.

I think they should keep the same script, but re-film it entirely. High definition, digital (to avoid deterioration), better 3d effects, the works. They could also make it 4D by changing the Fozzie's pie to something like lemon meringue, add the scent of fireworks for the final scene, fresh air smell for Miss Piggy's part, etc. Just small changes with the same script overall. They could also update the animatronics in the building to make them more realistic, give them better range of motion, etc.

Just my :twocents:

4ubie1
09-24-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm torn on this one. I love the MuppetVision as is. It is a classic and a must do on every trip, but it is showing it's age.

I think they should keep the same script, but re-film it entirely. High definition, digital (to avoid deterioration), better 3d effects, the works. They could also make it 4D by changing the Fozzie's pie to something like lemon meringue, add the scent of fireworks for the final scene, fresh air smell for Miss Piggy's part, etc. Just small changes with the same script overall. They could also update the animatronics in the building to make them more realistic, give them better range of motion, etc.

Just my :twocents:

I agree totally! I love the classic attraction as is but think it could do well with some updates! Like you said, don't change the script..just change some of the effects! :thumbsup: