PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Day

MegaDisney
09-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Just wanted to post in recognition of Patriots Day.

Thanks for the touching front page Intercot. :rocks:

Let us never forget the sacrifices made by so many to keep us all free. :flag:

PirateLover
09-10-2008, 10:48 PM
I cannot believe it has been 7 years, when everything is still so fresh in my mind. Every year I am reduced to tears remembering this tragedy and thinking about the brave men and women who lost their lives. Though I do not personally know anybody who died, I do have some very personal experiences connected to 9/11 that I will never forget.

:flag: God Bless those who lost their lives, and God Bless America.

mrsgaribaldi
09-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Many people that I knew were killed. Coworkers, children of coworkers, kids I grew up with and even a boy I used to babysit for... the skyline will never look right.
PirateLover said it best, God Bless those who lost their lives and God Bless America.

ElenitaB
09-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Since last week, I have been saddened by the impending anniversary. Every time the September sky has been that brilliant blue, it brings back the memories. Once again, we'll stop and attend memorials and remember the family, friends and acquaintances who were lost that day. :(

the skyline will never look right.
I so totally agree... certain things will never be the same again.

Ian
09-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Since it's so near the anniversary, there has been a lot of T.V. and radio coverage devoted to 9/11.

Every time I see that footage it just brings back such vivid memories of what that day was like ... the complete and total shock and horror of it all.

I'll never forget ....

:flag:

RedSoxFan
09-11-2008, 07:16 AM
God Bless Americal:flag:

Advnt05
09-11-2008, 08:10 AM
From the president:

Patriot Day, 2008
A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America

White House News

September 11, 2001, was etched into America's memory when 19 terrorists attacked us with barbarity unequaled in our history. On Patriot Day, we cherish the memory of the thousands of innocent victims lost, extend our thoughts and prayers to their families, and honor the heroic men and women who risked and sacrificed their lives so others might survive.

Since 9/11, we have recognized the threat posed by terrorists to the safety of the American people and worked to protect our homeland by fighting terrorists abroad. We are confronting terrorism by advancing freedom, liberty, and prosperity as an alternative to the ideologies of hatred and repression. Our Nation pays tribute to our courageous men and women in uniform serving around the world and the devoted members of our law enforcement, public safety, and intelligence communities at home who work night and day to protect us from harm and preserve the freedom of this great Nation.

Seven years ago, ordinary citizens rose to the challenge, united in prayer, and responded with extraordinary acts of courage, with some giving their lives for the country they loved. On Patriot Day, we remember all those who were taken from us in an instant and seek their lasting memorial in a safer and more hopeful world. We must not allow our resolve to be weakened by the passage of time. We will meet the test that history has given us and continue to fight to rid the world of terrorism and promote liberty around the globe.

By a joint resolution approved December 18, 2001 (Public Law 107-89), the Congress has designated September 11 of each year as "Patriot Day."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim September 11, 2008, as Patriot Day. I call upon the Governors of the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, as well as appropriate officials of all units of government, to direct that the flag be flown at half-staff on Patriot Day. I also call upon the people of the United States to observe Patriot Day with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and remembrance services, to display the flag at half-staff from their homes on that day, and to observe a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 a.m. eastern daylight time to honor the innocent Americans and people from around the world who lost their lives as a result of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this eighth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand eight, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.

GEORGE W. BUSH

disneydrmr
09-11-2008, 08:40 AM
:flag: My flag is flying half staff today. May God bless America and may He give comfort and grace to all who lost loved ones on this day and to the survivors of that tragic day. May we never forget!

Princess'Mom
09-11-2008, 11:33 AM
:flag: May God bless America and may He give comfort and grace to all who lost loved ones on this day and to the survivors of that tragic day. May we never forget!

Amen.

MNNHFLTX
09-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Today and every day, my thoughts are with those who lost loved ones in 9/11.

God Bless America. :flag:

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-11-2008, 12:53 PM
My thoughts and prayer are with those of you that have lost loved ones.

God Bless America!:flag:

Mackflava99
09-11-2008, 01:36 PM
it was nice to see that Intercot remembered- i feel too many people have forgotten-

My sister lost her husband (Justin Molisani) in the WTC-
He was in second tower after he had left the building after 1st plane hit, he was told to go back up-!!! The last time my sister talked to him was at that time...
His coworkers who survived said that he went back to get some of his coworkers who were in the restroom...he never returned.
He left a 3 yr old daughter and shortly after he passed my sister had twins, so she is now alone with 3 kids.
Please Keep him in your thoughts today as well as the others in the WTC, the pentagon and on the planes...

http://www.legacy.com/Sept11/Story.aspx?Page=Story&PersonID=96858

ibrowse17
09-11-2008, 01:40 PM
:ditto:

Our thoughts are with those who lost loved ones that day, and to all of those that have been lost since. Never forget:flag:

jillluvsdisney
09-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Firefighters, law enforcement and miltary personal......thank you. The work that each of you do enriches our lives, enhances our safety and sustains our great country.

WDWFREAK101
09-11-2008, 04:21 PM
God bless all victims of this terrible tragedy. My prayers go out to everybody involved in this awful event. What an AMAZING country we have here and I thank god everyday that we can live here. Firefighters, policemen and even innocent bystanders, Thank you so very much for what you do for us every single day of our lives :flag: :fworks: you were a key point during one of the darkest hours of United Stated history. I salute you! :flag:

Cinderelley
09-11-2008, 04:50 PM
:flag: May God bless America and may He give comfort and grace to all who lost loved ones on this day and to the survivors of that tragic day. May we never forget!

Amen

Ed
09-11-2008, 07:36 PM
On 9/11 and over the dark days that followed, I was impressed by the way our own little community here at Intercot, including our many international members, pulled together to comfort and console each other, pass on information, and refute the rumors that were running rampant. I've seldom been more proud!

A lot of the Intercotees used as their signatures lines quoted from one of the songs played during Illuminations that includes the words "We Go On". It seemed so totally appropriate to the circumstances, and to this day I still get goosebumps and have flashbacks to 9/11/01 every time I hear that song.

Does anyone have those lyrics? I can't seem to find them.

God Bless America! May we never see another day so full of unspeakable evil.

Aggie97
09-11-2008, 08:02 PM
A lot of the Intercotees used as their signatures lines quoted from one of the songs played during Illuminations that includes the words "We Go On". It seemed so totally appropriate to the circumstances, and to this day I still get goosebumps and have flashbacks to 9/11/01 every time I hear that song.

Does anyone have those lyrics? I can't seem to find them..

We Go On

With the stillness of the night
there comes a time to understand
to reach out and touch tomorrow
take the future in our hand

We can see a new horizon
built on all that we have done
and our dreams begin another
thousand circles 'round the sun

We go on
to the joy and through the tears
We go on
to discover new frontiers
Moving on
with the current of the years

We go on
moving forward, now as one
Moving on
with a spirit born to run
Ever on
with each rising sun

To a new day
We go on

We go on

:flag:

conorsmom2000
09-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Every year I am reduced to tears remembering this tragedy and thinking about the brave men and women who lost their lives.

I do too. We recently took Conor to Liberty Science Center in NJ and I had no idea that that had pieces of steel there from the WTC on display - they were out in the open and you could reach out and touch them. One piece was somewhat damaged, but the other was completely twisted. I tried to read the display they had next to it, but I just started to cry right then and there.

Every time the September sky has been that brilliant blue, it brings back the memories.

Ellen, I also think about 9/11 everytime I see that beautiful blue sky as well. We woke up that morning to this amazing blue sky with not a cloud in sight, just bright sunshine - it seemed like one of those "perfect days". Yet, right before 9 am came the call from Mike, telling me to turn on the news and get his brother's phone number, as he worked at the WTC. (He was fine).

I was in a first grade class today and the teacher read the story "The Fireboat", which is a 9/11 story and very touching. While she was reading it, I realized half these kids weren't alive when it happened. I couldn't believe that as it still seems like yesterday.

My heart goes out to all those affected by 9/11. My town lost 4 dads that day and a close friend lost a cousin. My heart also goes out to another close friends husband who worked for Aon Corp - he was not there that day as he was with my friend taking their daughter to a big dentist appointment. Most, if not all, of his coworkers died that day. He has never been the same.

:(

:flag::flag:

Ed
09-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Thank you, April... that's exactly what I was looking for.

And in my book.... it says it all. :thumbsup:

Meerkat
09-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Never forget!

MegaDisney
09-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Every time the September sky has been that brilliant blue, it brings back the memories.

Someone from New York was mentioning this today, about how the last 6 September 11th's the weather has always been beautiful.

I also saw a documentary a couple of weeks ago, where they said that the temperature variant (the difference between the highest daytime temperature and the lowest temperature) during the 3 days following the tragedy spiked like it has never done, all across the US. This was caused by the lack of airline travel. Apparently the trails that jets leave have a signifigant impact on the variant and the clearness and brilliance of the blue sky. It was interesting.

Sorry to get off track...

John
09-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm glad to see you all feel as I do - that we can never forget how we felt on 9/12. How we came together as a nation. How flags flew from every house, every car, every bike & tricycle. It made us all proud to be Americans - the way we banded together, remembered the innocent who lost their lives, and vowed to never let it happen again.

It's a shame how many people elsewhere have become 9-10'ers (rather than 9-12'ers) and how the media didn't really do much today to commemorate this painful anniversary.

Please, never forget this day, where you were at the time & how it felt. Tell your children what happened and about the brave souls who rushed into those buildings to save lives or banded together to rush the pilots of the hijacked plane over Pennsylvania.

It's good to see that the folks here still care.

We go on!

Ps. I had no idea this hit so close to home in our INTERCOT family. My prayers and thoughts tonite are with Justin Molisani's family and friends.

2Epcot
09-11-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm glad to see you all feel as I do - that we can never forget how we felt on 9/12. How we came together as a nation. How flags flew from every house, every car, every bike & tricycle. It made us all proud to be Americans.

Great comments John. I have kept a flag magnet on the back of my SUV for the last 7 years in honor of the 9/11 victims and first responders. It is not something I will ever forget. :flag:

PirateLover
09-11-2008, 11:53 PM
I was in a first grade class today and the teacher read the story "The Fireboat", which is a 9/11 story and very touching. While she was reading it, I realized half these kids weren't alive when it happened. I couldn't believe that as it still seems like yesterday.
:(

:flag::flag:
Hard to believe isn't it? I was talking to my students about it today... As long as I am a teacher I will never let a 9/11 go by without talking about it... and for my 7th graders, it was their first day of kindergarten. They have vague memories, but not really anything specific, and I realized that soon I'll have kids who (like those 1st graders) weren't even born yet. I hope that they will never have to experience anything like that in their lifetime.

I'm glad to see you all feel as I do - that we can never forget how we felt on 9/12. How we came together as a nation. How flags flew from every house, every car, every bike & tricycle. It made us all proud to be Americans - the way we banded together, remembered the innocent who lost their lives, and vowed to never let it happen again.

It's a shame how many people elsewhere have become 9-10'ers (rather than 9-12'ers) and how the media didn't really do much today to commemorate this painful anniversary.

Hey, were you listening to Glenn Beck today? I popped him on during lunch and he was talking about that same thing and it really hit home with me as well. So many people go around back in that 9/10 mindset. Not that we should be living in fear, but let's be honest, how many years did they take to plot 9/11??? Now it's been 7 years and we still haven't captured the top guys... we all pray that it won't happen again, but who knows.

I know their are a lot of people of faith on Intercot, so I thought I'd share this email my mother sent me... definitely made me cry.

'MEET ME IN THE STAIRWELL'

You say you will never forget where you were when
you heard the news On September 11, 2001.
Neither will I.

I was on the 110th floor in a smoke filled room
with a man who called his wife to say 'Good-Bye.' I
held his fingers steady as he dialed. I gave him the
peace to say, 'Honey, I am not going to make it, but it
is OK..I am ready to go.'

I was with his wife when he called as she fed
breakfast to their children. I held her up as she
tried to understand his words and as she realized
he wasn't coming home that night.

I was in the stairwell of the 23rd floor when a
woman cried out to Me for help. 'I have been
knocking on the door of your heart for 50 years!' I said.
'Of course I will show you the way home - only
believe in Me now.'
I was at the base of the building with the Priest
ministering to the injured and devastated souls.
I took him home to tend to his Flock in Heaven. He
heard my voice and answered.

I was on all four of those planes, in every seat,
with every prayer. I was with the crew as they
were overtaken. I was in the very hearts of the
believers there, comforting and assuring them that their
faith has saved them.

I was in Texas , Virginia , California , Michigan , Afghanistan ...
I was standing next to you when you heard the terrible news.
Did you sense Me?

I want you to know that I saw every face. I knew
every name - though not all know Me. Some met Me
for the first time on the 86th floor.

Some sought Me with their last breath.
Some couldn't hear Me calling to them through the
smo ke and flames; 'Come to Me... this way... take
my hand.' Some chose, for the final time, to ignore Me.
But, I was there.

I did not place you in the Tower that day. You
may not know why, but I do. However, if you were
there in that explosive moment in time, would you have
reached for Me?

Sept. 11, 2001, was not the end of the journey
for you. But someday your journey will end. And I
will be there for you as well. Seek Me now while I may
be found. Then, at any moment, you know you are
'ready to go.'

I will be in the stairwell of your final moments.

doombuggy
09-12-2008, 08:12 AM
TDS lost one of their Cast Members that day. :crying::sadwave:

Marianne, your Disney family still misses you!

yjgirl32
09-12-2008, 08:32 AM
I have been watching all week the various shows that something about 9/11 and I'm still in shock how a small group of people can effect so many lives by a horrific attack. How scared they made everyone feel. I'm so glad that this wonderful country pulled together to fight back and prove to those terrorists that you might have shaken us for a little while but they didn't completely knock us down. I too would like to thank all of the people who pulled together and helped in any way shape of form they were able to. To this day everytime I hear the National Anthem I get goose bumps and I make sure my hand goes over my heart becaue I am very proud to be an American. :flag: Thanks Intercot for always remembering!