PDA

View Full Version : ADHD :p

handmaidenofprincesses
09-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi there!

So, I'm kind of worried about my upcoming trip to Disney. I have ADHD and normally my medication keeps me under relatively good control. However, when something gets me excited, such as Disney, I tend to get overexcited and very hyper, despite the meds.

I'm worried about embarassing myself (and my aunt) as well as irritating other guests. I was somewhat ashamed after watching the videos my dad took of my last trip: I was annoyingly hyper, bordering on obnoxious, mostly while we were waiting in lines. I have a tendency to bounce around and apparently to act like a general idiot out of excitement.

I'm not sure what to do. My doctor has already refsed to up my dosage for that week. I'll try and control myself but it doesn't always work. I know the crowds should be light when we go (Jan 4-10) but I really don't want to irritate anyone and mess up their nice relaxing vacation.

any advice would be helpful...

sisterdisco
09-10-2008, 07:15 PM
There are 100,000's of people there.
You won't be the only one who is excited or hyper.
No way will you be the only person "bouncing" in line!!
We were actually joking about how many parents we saw swearing at their kids---
"look another kid getting in trouble".
You see everything and anything.

Be who you are and have a great time.

:thumbsup:

mrsgaribaldi
10-13-2008, 03:13 AM
What would you do that might annoy someone else in line? If I was in line behind you, nothing would bother me unless you hit me, and then I would say something to you, loudly. I agree with sisterdisco. You won't be the only once bouncing around from excitement. Have a great time :mickey:

vicster
10-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Absolutely go and have a great time! I bounce with excitement in lines all the time.

WDWFanatic
10-13-2008, 11:03 AM
I agree with what the others said, you will notice it more than anyone else in line.

BUT...if it bothers you maybe you're Aunt could give you a code word or something when you start to get a little out of control and you could take a step back from yourself and count to 10.

Also try to watch what you eat, I know we all tend to eat more sugar and junk than we normally would which hypes up the best of us!

Have a great trip! Just being aware of it will probably do wonders.

Jillirose
12-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I agree about watching the sugar. Eat healthy, and consider getting up early to exercise. Some folks find that caffeine helps. I would definately try this one before you go!

tinklover
12-01-2008, 12:50 PM
I too have ADHD and i am teh same way especially at Disney i found that taking my meds and drinking some coffee or mountain dew helps me. although with my anxiety issue that does not help me i broke down in lines a few times and felt like everyone was staring at me which made it worse. if you feel that you are going to be too hyper to be in a line for a long time i would suggest maybe a GAC card for those particular lines. That is what i did a CM saw one of my panic attacks at the character spot in epcot and pulled me from the line and bumped us up once i was calmed down and then walked me up to Guest services to get a GAC card for any other crowded lines I may have encountered thru my trip. I only ended up using it once but it was nice to know that disney understood:thumbsup:

stitchaholic
12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
what is a gac card,i am going solo with my 2 kids end of january,my son has adhd and odd,he is on straterra,however i don't medicate him while we are on holiday because i want the real him to have a good time,isn't disney the place to be excited and be yourself?

AeroFloyd
12-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Please let him be himself!! WDW is the perfect place to strut your adhd! I think everyone gets excited to go to Disney :number1: and people dont mind to much. When me and my friend were there we were the most obnoxious annoying kids there! And people would come up to us and ask to go on the rides with us cause "we were the fun ones". :thedolls: And we plan on acting the same way next month when we go back!:D You guys will fit right in i promise. :thumbsup:

stitchaholic
12-24-2008, 05:05 PM
well maybe we will see you there,we will look for the 2 loud,obnoxious fun kids!
my son was a vmk member too,and his mother loves aerosmith and floyd! thanks for the support!:cool: