PDA

View Full Version : EMH card check Policy

jonahbear2006
09-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Horrible, Horrible, or and one more thing,.....Horrible! Fifteen minutes into the night, cast members are already shooing people onto rides and not checking cards. The park was sooo flooded with people that we left in anger. There Were TONS of people there and it was so less crowded earlier that day. We went in the morning and saw most of the park, then went to EMH and it was almost impossible to get through the crowd. I hated it and if this is the sign of things to come at EMH, since this is the same way Epcot looked on Sept. 5th for their EMH evening, I will not ever go to evening EMH again. What a waste of my time. We went back to our hotel and watched a movie. Very disappointed in Disney's Decision here. In Feb, EMH in the evening were magical and something to write home about. I think those days are over. Very sad and misplaced. Anyone else there for Sept 7th?

DizneyRox
09-10-2008, 11:22 AM
In my experience, evening EMH is a nightmare for the first couple of hours. I can imagine is being worse with the card checks instead of the wristbands.

I never intend on doing anything much during an evening EMH due to the crowds, how I miss the e-Nights...

Tink's Mom
09-10-2008, 11:48 AM
That sounds just awful! Why even have EMH for resort guests if they are letting anyone on rides. I feel like I am losing one of the benefits of staying on property.

DizneyRox
09-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Don't be so negative... Instead of taking something away, they just gave the EMH benefit to off-site guests. Who says Disney is always cutting back? :number1:

Aurora
09-10-2008, 12:11 PM
In our experience, the earlier the MK's "official" closing is, the worse the crowds are for EMH.

That's likely because the other parks close and all the park hopper people come to the MK, but it's not late enough yet that people are pooped out and wanting to go back to their hotels.

Crowds also seem better on weekday EMH nights. (Mon.-Thurs.)

In the past year, we went to MK evening EMH's in early December and second week of June. They were very late EMH's, on weeknights, and the crowds were light.

In fact, on one weeknight in December, (VERY late, park closed about 2 a.m.), there were no people at all -- it felt like the old days.

On our last night in June this year (a Sunday) we left the MK just as the evening EMH was beginning. I could not believe the numbers of buses full of people pouring into the MK. It was incredible. Hundreds and hundreds of people at the same time. And this was still with the wristband policy.

With the number of Disney resort guests continuing to increase, I can't see EMH nights getting any less crowded, no matter how they do or do not enforce it.

MaxPower
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
The first couple of hours during EMH are usually crazy busy. Plan accordingly.

jonahbear2006
09-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Well, and the 5th was Epcot's night and that was busy the entire night and the flooding of people was due to the fact that Night of Joy was at Hollywood and MNSSHP was going on at MK. Why Disney would do that, is beyond me. They left no choice but to go to Epcot during EMH, cause Ak always closes at 5. All very frustrating to me. Disney is making cuts, though, and trying to save money. Things are changing there and though it is minute, it is still sad.

KylesMom
09-10-2008, 04:46 PM
In my experience, evening EMH is a nightmare for the first couple of hours. I can imagine is being worse with the card checks instead of the wristbands.
Agreed. We didn't attempt any late night EMH in July/August this year after what we encountered in June of 2007. We'll do a.m., EMH but p.m.'s are just too crowded. They surely can't be getting any better with the new policy . . . :(

Imagineer1981
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Well, and the 5th was Epcot's night and that was busy the entire night and the flooding of people was due to the fact that Night of Joy was at Hollywood and MNSSHP was going on at MK. Why Disney would do that, is beyond me. They left no choice but to go to Epcot during EMH, cause Ak always closes at 5. All very frustrating to me. Disney is making cuts, though, and trying to save money. Things are changing there and though it is minute, it is still sad.

That seems like poor scheduling for sure :mad:

disneymom15
09-10-2008, 06:21 PM
So am I understanding this right, they're not checking resort key cards? If that's the case, why do they still call it EMHs, they list it as a perk for staying on property.

DizneyRox
09-10-2008, 10:27 PM
If that's the case, why do they still call it EMHs, they list it as a perk for staying on property.
E for Everyone!

badkitty
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I have been to EMH in the evenings during "low attendance" and it is always crowded for at least the first hour, especially at MK. Last Feb, DHS was so crowded in the evening it was hard to get on any of the rides so we left early. That was with wristbands. I typically don't stay on Disney property because of the EMH benefit. I never really thought the crowds were worth it. I stay because of the convenience and the magic of staying on property.

CaptSmee
09-10-2008, 10:57 PM

I never intend on doing anything much during an evening EMH due to the crowds, how I miss the e-Nights...

Same with me...every EMH pm has been extrememly crowded that we've attended for the 1st few hours, then it thins out no matter what time of year.

Mrs Bus Driver
09-11-2008, 07:43 AM
I hope things improve. I would love to keep this thread going. Anyone coming back from the parks please post and let us know what is going on. I will be doing several EMH nights, I leave for WDW on the 27th and would like to know in advance if it gets any better. I will post after I get back and let you know what I think :mickey:

luvdiznee
09-11-2008, 08:29 AM
If EMH is crowded during the first couple hours, then thins out, this is great. But does it thin out because the EMH rules are being enforced or just because people are getting tired. :confused::(

Little Round Bale
09-11-2008, 08:38 AM
My family and I were in WDW last weekend of July first week of August and I have to say that the EMH was great. It was still the wrist bands. We hit all the rides most twice. We love the EMH. :mickey:

I do think the EMH should be resort folks only. To me it is a perk that is very cool.

doodleboy
09-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Let us not forget that this perk is being taken advantage of by more and more people all of the time. Every time WDW builds and sells a new DVC property they are adding to a guaranteed base of customers. Even if They never sold another hotel room again, all of the DVC properties are full twelve months a year. Which I understand is not enough to keep the business going, but it is a nice foundation. We as on-site guests will of course notice that we are sharing these on property benefits with more and more people. It may be time for another gate to alleviate some of that pressure. If I am correct, and I'm sure someone on this board knows this, WDW is currently averageing the same attendance at each of the four parks as it did at the three before AK was open. WDW has to decide when it will benefit them to build another gate in terms of $$$. I really love going to WDW with my family, but I can tell you that with the current trend and my kids getting older I am planning to sell my DVC in about 8 years, if I can stand the crowds for that long.

TinyDancer
09-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but how exactly are they checking them? You hand it over to intese scrutinization or a glance? For example, if we got some lanyards and clear covers and flashed it, would we be alright or will we be forever taking it in and out, in and out?

Rebecca

doodleboy
09-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Horrible, Horrible, or and one more thing,.....Horrible! Fifteen minutes into the night, cast members are already shooing people onto rides and not checking cards.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that if you see something you don't think is up to par, report it to a manager. I have begun doing this in the recent past and it sometimes helps to resolve the issue and makes you feel better for doing it. I also write to WDW customer service when I return from my trip, both good and bad including CM names and locations. I do believe that they want to know how things are going, and if everyone screams they will listen to some degree. I will be sure to take note of EMH procedures on my upcoming Halloween trip and report it if I see something that shouldn't be.

jonahbear2006
09-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I always complain about things that bother me. Checking cards went something like this; the castmembers had a tiny flashlight. The flash it on the card so they can see it and wave you through. That happened for about 15 min. Then when the crowds started pushing the lines, they were just letting everyone on. Not a good idea. We looked at a few of the lines and saw what was happened and the disgust was just too much. We went to the confectionary, got our snacks we wanted and left. All that way to have to ride a bus cause the international gateway was now closed. I dont know about you other beach club go-ers but we would rather monorail and walk than take a bus. You get to do stuff along the way and I hate disney buses.

lawgirl
09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that if you see something you don't think is up to par, report it to a manager. I have begun doing this in the recent past and it sometimes helps to resolve the issue and makes you feel better for doing it. I also write to WDW customer service when I return from my trip, both good and bad including CM names and locations. I do believe that they want to know how things are going, and if everyone screams they will listen to some degree. I will be sure to take note of EMH procedures on my upcoming Halloween trip and report it if I see something that shouldn't be.

I'm totally on board with this...I would think if enough people are unhappy and forcefully express this to Customer Service, that maybe something would be done! So please make sure to call and write those letters to WDW Customer Service!

joelkfla
09-11-2008, 04:16 PM
You get to do stuff along the way and I hate disney buses.
Sorry. :blush:

But seriously, the same holds true for the buses. There's a lot that could be nicer about them. Let Disney know with an email or letter what it is you don't like about them.

Goes4FastPass
09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
The last time we were at EMH at EPCOT it was a mess in Future World. It seemed like every resort guest with 'hopping' media was either trying to ride Soarin' or TTrack. The lines were simply impossible - and that was without this no wristband thing.

With the cutbacks on evening offerings like Fantasmic and AK often having "banker's hours" the pressure on the park open for evening EMH will onyl increase.

Evening Disney's own announcements about less Fantasmic included wrds about parades and fireworks at other parks with proper admission media.

Disney wants all resort guests to buy hopping media then expects those guests to hop to the same place.

Main Street Jim
09-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Instead of taking something away, they just gave the EMH benefit to off-site guestsUhhh...no. That's why Cast is supposed to be checking resort IDs at the attractions on EMH nights. I haven't ever worked an EMH night at Tomorrowland Speedway - yet - so I have no idea what goes on. BUT - if I had trained some of my fellow Cast Members out there, you bet they'd better be checking those IDs ;) No resort ID, no ride. :thumbsup:

Seriouly, though, I'd voice your complaint to Disney/Guest Relations. They don't and won't know it's an issue unless someone says something about it.

Polynesian Dweller
09-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Absolutely voice the complaint because that's how business learn what needs changing.

However, that said, if EMH is now extremely busy and dosen't really provide the advantage you want, then start looking for the quieter times at the park and don't go to EMH. We have never used EMH in all of our years going to WDW and we have never (that's never) missed going on any ride. We find that so many people are looking for those 'fast times' that actually going in the daytime hours mid-week to MK and Epcot, works amazingly well. So if EMH is broken and doesn't work because everyone is going, avoid it. That will also have an impact on Disney by showing things aren't working.

WDWdriver
09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
I would think if enough people are unhappy and forcefully express this to Customer Service, that maybe something would be done! So please make sure to call and write those letters to WDW Customer Service!

I agree. I was working at Kali River Rapids Wednesday night, our first EMH without the wristbands. The first hour was total chaos. There were three of us struggling to check resort IDs. We repeatedly had to deal with situations that previously were sorted out at the wristband distribution stations. Such as:

Guests not staying at Disney resorts who didn't understand why we wanted to see a resort ID and why we were refusing to let them on the ride.

Families who were Disney resort guests, but without resort IDs for every family member.

Delays while guests dug through backpacks and pocketbooks to find their IDs.

Delays on our part while we looked at the resort ID dates to insure they were still valid.

Guests who insisted that they could ride because they had a park ticket, which they held out for us to see.

Many guests who tried to push by, often successfully, while we dealt with other guests.

Imagine this same level of confusion going on at the same time at every other attraction. I'm sure our guests were not impressed. If you are not happy with the new "No wristband" EMH policy, I urge you to complain to Disney. They do listen.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Yep.

I think this is a short-term thing....hopefully. I wanted to just scream it was so frustrating.

Imagineer1981
09-12-2008, 11:02 AM
ugh...sounds aweful. I hope they change it ASAP

TheRustyScupper
09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
1) According to two of our managers, this was a experiment in cost savings.
2) It was assumed that ride CM's had ample time to check resort ID's.
3) Since they were there anyway, why pay CM's at the wristband stations?
4) One of my buddies said she thought this was a disaster in-waiting.
5) I think she was proven to be right.

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
09-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Has anyone done EMH with the new rules that you need to show your ticket each time instead of getting a wrist band?

I strongly disagree with this move because I think it is much more of a pain for people, I understand that some people cheated the system by using someone else's tickets probably and just getting a wristband and then they were good for the night so it stinks that a few ruin it for everyone.

I am going in a month and not looking for to this new change and wanted to see if anyone has done it yet and their thoughts.

Tinkerfreak
09-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Wow I feel really sorry for all of you CM who probably have to deal with cranky unhappy guests because of this. Even though you did not set the new policy you will be the ones on the front line taking the brunt of the guests anger. I hope that they realize quickly that this won't work and change things back for you.

TinkerbellFan16
09-12-2008, 12:08 PM
DEFINETLY a pain!!!! sure you had some people cheat the system, but im sure they will find a way with any system they choose, and its gonna be a big pain for everyone, incluyding castmembers...they will have to keep doing the same routine like a million times....wonder if u have to show tickets for your kids too....?

tinklover
09-12-2008, 12:21 PM
it is not teh ticket that you show it is your room key. it was not people using someone elses tickets it was offsite hotels giving peopel wristbands to use that were not valid. and yes you have to show EVERYONE"S room key if you want to get on that ride.

DVCWDWMEMBER
09-12-2008, 12:25 PM
My husband and Daughter are leaving for WDW this afternoon. I will get the scoop from them and let you know.

Marker
09-12-2008, 12:34 PM
I haven't experienced it yet, but I will next week (leaving Sunday).

I'm trying to go in with an open mind. I'm not prematurely anticipating it to be a pain. If that's what I expect, then that's how I'll perceive it.

Seems to me, you already have to take your key out for FastPass, and I've never had a problem doing that, or lost my key becasue of it. So I really don't expect this to be that much of an additional hardship.

It's just different.

And if I allow something as trivial as this to ruin my night, well then I might as well just stay home. But that's just my opinion.

Belle_0717
09-12-2008, 12:59 PM
I remember E-nights. It seemed to be much smoother.

As much of a pain that it seems to be now maybe they should rethink it and give out the bands at the resorts - say after 3 pm on the day of the specific park. I know how much I like to be out there and pick it up there but it may be an accountability thing for Disney.

Lynn J Mc
09-12-2008, 01:05 PM
I like the room key deal better. The line for the wristbands was ridiculous.

dolphinmickey9170
09-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I like the room key deal better. The line for the wristbands was ridiculous.

I agree, the lines can get crazy. But don't you think the line to show your room key will be worse? The one person who can't find their key, or their childs key, or they just had it and now all of a sudden they can't find it? Isn't this going to make these lines crazier?:confused:

I can't wait to hear some substantial feedback from those of you going soon. Let us know how it all works out.

tinklover
09-12-2008, 01:25 PM
there have been a few updates as to how it is working out here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=142071) is one i found . and here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1734550&postcount=126) is the other though it has been locked

SurferStitch
09-12-2008, 01:34 PM
I will reserve all judgment until we experience it next month. I just can't believe it's going to be as bad as some think. I'll just get me and DH a couple lanyards, and poof....concern of dropping or losing the card is gone.

If the ride lines are slow, so be it. We don't do all that many rides during EMH evenings anyway, so it's not a big deal to us.

I just can't let something like this bother me. I'm on vacation!!!

tadshome
09-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I am a little confused, do they check every room key to make sure that it is valid for that evenings EMH? If not I am guessing that people could (I am not saying that they would) book for a single night in a Disney Hotel and keep the key to the world pass for future visits thus cheating the system. It is a shame that people abuse the EMH system and I hope that they find a fool proof system soon.

Simba's Mom
09-12-2008, 02:44 PM
I seem to remember that during the wristband days, the CMs at the wristband distribution place would also run your room key thru a hand-held machine to make sure that the particular room key was only used once (or at least that's what they said it was). Is there anything to prevent someone onsite, who's not going to EMH, from lending their Key to the World card to someone else who's staying off-site so that they can go to EMH? Or someone getting off the ride, then lending their Key to the World card to a friend who's not staying on-site so that they too can go on the ride?

thumperbug
09-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't think getting wristbands was a big deal. So what if you have to wait on line for 5 mins?

I will say though, one night we wanted to do EMH and didn't have my son's room key with us (we have annual passes so park passes were separate from room key) so we left the park when regular hours were up.

On another night we went for EMH we made sure to have all our room keys and when we went for a wristband, the CM only checked one, asked how many in our party and gave us all wristbands without checking all keys. Not sure if that is the norm or not.

As one previous poster had mentioned, perhaps making 1 option is to get the wristband at your hotel. Either early AM for morning EMH or all day for evening EMH. Have a few CM at the park to do the wristband thing there as well for those not deciding until later in the day that they want to stay (and have the room key to show they can).

Or, maybe go back to e-ride...or limit the # of wristbands they give out if the crowds seem to be getting out of control.

I am sure there is no right answer to this but....showing the room key for each ride? I would willingly do it (and be prepared upon ride entrance to show it), but if I was at EMH and the CM's were NOT checking the keys and anyone could go on the ride...that would really get my blood boiling.

Nascfan
09-12-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't think getting wristbands was a big deal. So what if you have to wait on line for 5 mins?

I am sure there is no right answer to this but....showing the room key for each ride? I would willingly do it (and be prepared upon ride entrance to show it), but if I was at EMH and the CM's were NOT checking the keys and anyone could go on the ride...that would really get my blood boiling.

I've never minded getting a wristband either. Never had to wait more than a couple minutes.

I'd be very unhappy if they were letting all guests on a ride too without checking. That's the whole purpose of EMH, for on-site guests to get extra time.

DizneyRox
09-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Is there anything to prevent someone onsite, who's not going to EMH, from lending their Key to the World card to someone else who's staying off-site so that they can go to EMH? Or someone getting off the ride, then lending their Key to the World card to a friend who's not staying on-site so that they too can go on the ride?
Charging priviledges...

I'm fairly certain I wouldn't give the key to my room to anyone else. And typically friends would stay together, or so I would think. If I were going to WDW along with my friends and they wanted to stay off-site, I'd tell them which park I was going to be in, but surely wouldn't be expecting to see them. Finding each other would turn into a major hassle...

crazeedizneefinatic
09-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Unless I am not understanding this right, I can see the parks more crowded with this new policy. There is no one telling non resort guests to leave which is supposed to be the main objective to EMH. As long as they do not ride no one would know if they were staying on site or not. Yes, sometimes I just go to people watch. I can see everything in general being busier, food places, shops. At least with a wristband there was a visual check. As someones else said any system will have flaws but this one has way too many loopholes. Just like someone mentioned above, friends on site meeting up with friends off site and the friends off site getting use of EMH. Not everyone gets charging privledges on their room key, we don't. I belive wholeheartedly friends would share a room key, this could happen. This used to be one of the perks we really liked staying on site, I think that will be lost now. The charging privledge fact does bring up one important fact though. Usually when I enter the park we tuck away our KTTW cards for safe keeping (we do not use charging privledges). I just want to make sure they are safe and not lost. Now having to show that card at every attraction to get in, I would be more nervous than usual if I had charging privledges. I don't know too many people who carry their visa or mastercard around a store just in case they wanna buy something. I definately would never consider putting charging privledges on my KTTW card with this new policy. Can you imgine the hassle of a lost card? Losing or misplacing your card is not too far fetched.

joonyer
09-13-2008, 11:10 AM
. . . . . And typically friends would stay together, or so I would think. If I were going to WDW along with my friends and they wanted to stay off-site, I'd tell them which park I was going to be in, but surely wouldn't be expecting to see them. Finding each other would turn into a major hassle...

Finding others in the parks is a snap with cell phones. "I'm standing in front of Space Mountain wearing a red hat, where are you?"

AmandaChan
09-13-2008, 11:13 AM
That does kind of stink. It's a pain enough to get them out for fastpasses. Maybe you can hang your key in a plastic thing on a pin collector neck band and just have it hanging in front of your chest. I'm sure these changes might have something to do with saving time and money also. As much as a pain it is to use your card to get a fast pass usually the EMH lines for wrist bands are a little hectic. I've had people give me the evil eye because I ACCIDENTALLY cut them in the line (it was VERY subtle) and I'll never forget that. I was oblivious at the time and it seems to ridiculous now how that system is ran.

badkitty
09-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Main Street shops are open for at least an hour after the "official" park closing so non-resort guests can be "in the park" during the first part of EMH anyway. Why does it matter if they are there or not? They are not riding rides and the more money they spend, the better it is for the company. I never expect EMH to be "empty" until the last hour. By that time, all the non-resort guests will probably be bored with "people-watching".

People who cheat will always cheat. I can't see this new policy adding to the number of cheaters.

badkitty
09-13-2008, 04:09 PM
As much of a pain that it seems to be now maybe they should rethink it and give out the bands at the resorts - say after 3 pm on the day of the specific park. I know how much I like to be out there and pick it up there but it may be an accountability thing for Disney.

No offense but eew. Do you really want to have to go back to your resort everyday and stand in that line to get a wristband?

I for one leave the resort first thing in the morning and do not return until the parks are no longer open. Having to waste time traveling back and standing in line will be horribly painful.

disneygeek84
09-15-2008, 03:14 PM
We didn't have too much trouble with it last week. Although, each ride was different. Some CM's would check the date, some would just check to see if I had a card. Since I normally carry a backpack or purse I got a lanyard with a clear pouch so that I wouldn't have to keep getting it out. They didn't make me take it off or anything, I just had to hold it up so that they could see it.

I think the problem with it taking so long is that most of the people there this week were either first time guest (Seriously, I've never seen so many 1st time buttons) or they couldn't speak English (Or they could, but they didn't want to let on that they could), so they would act like they couldn't understand the CM's and try to get on the ride anyway. Usually when this happened they would tell them to hold on a minute and check our ID's and let us on threw. And they were pulling CM's in from all over the place for some rides. I had a security guard check my ID for Dinosaur, no kidding.

I don't think it will be long before the wristbands are back. Because this was just too hard for some people.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Personally I would rather wait in line just once to get my wristband and be able to jump right into the lines for the rides rather than having to stand there each and every time waiting for someone to find their room key. Plus as others have mentioned, the possibilities for losing your key are significantly higher the more times you have to pull it out. And if I'm at EMH you can be sure I'm probably tired and will lose my key. So now I have to stand in ANOTHER line to get my key replaces!
I hope they bring back the wristbands before I get there this weekend.

jonahbear2006
09-15-2008, 09:48 PM
No offense but eew. Do you really want to have to go back to your resort everyday and stand in that line to get a wristband?

I for one leave the resort first thing in the morning and do not return until the parks are no longer open. Having to waste time traveling back and standing in line will be horribly painful.

I like this idea. Maybe not go back to the resort but when you recieve your KTTWC, at check in, get a bracelet for every person for every EMH night that you will be in "the World", at that given time. So, you will have to keep track of them, in order to go and you won't be given any more bracelets to THOSE cards, unless you offer up that bracelet that got damaged in some way, back to the desk. This stops CM's from partially giving out a bracelet cause they know someone or whatever and you wont have to ever stand in a line to get a bracelet and no checking cards.

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
09-17-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm in total agreence that I would rather wait in line once instead of all night and the fear of losing the key is much more because you have to have it out all night long instead of just for fast passes.

I have done extra magic hours only 2 or 3 times but when we did it we walked right up and got our wrist bands there was only 1 party in front of us, we have never had to wait long, I guess we just lucked out.

Spindrift
09-17-2008, 05:09 PM
We went to EMH at MK this past Sunday, our last night. It was more crowded there than any where else. We were in MK during the day and it was empty.

The card checking was a mess. Some CMs were diligently checking cards. There was a back-up to get on the TTA because the CM was actually doing her job. At other rides they just glanced at the cards.

As they add more and more rooms, I don't see how EMH is going to continue to be feasible. They are being overwhelmed during slow periods, during busy times it can't be better.

I miss e-Ticket nights!

jonahbear2006
09-17-2008, 05:31 PM
This is exactly what we found at the 3 emh nights we had. All the nights were extremely busy whereas during the day, the park was empty. We did all of our park pounding in the morning and afternoon then spent our evening at the resort swimming under the moon and watching movies. It was fantastic, however, since we missed EMH, we technically could've left a day early, since we paid for the extra night so we could participate in EMH at HS.

Goes4FastPass
09-18-2008, 09:37 AM
I wish just once WDW would execute a cutback and not tell us it's because they're "going green" or "we listened to our guests".

When EMH becomes a thing to avoid (if it isn't already) WDW will lose a big resort guest benefit - probably the biggest resort benefit.

DizneyRox
09-18-2008, 10:17 AM
I wish just once WDW would execute a cutback and not tell us it's because they're "going green" or "we listened to our guests".

I totally agree, don't tell me it's what I wanted, call it what it is. The spin often gets me more miffed than the actual change.

BlueDorrie
09-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Well, this post just confirmed that we will not be doing EMH when we're there in October. The change just messed up what a really cool thing EMH was.

ryca1dreams
09-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Here's my take on EMH as I saw it this week and last week. We did morning EMH twice and evening once. They were checking for resort guests on entering (Epcot and DHS morning) so no problem and at rides at evening (MK). Lines were short except for TSMM at DHS. However, evening EMH at MK was crowded probably because non-resort guests could stay in the park without being herded out.

My take is that management (Disney bean counters) wanted to see if they could squeeze out some revenue from shops being open to non-resort guests who couldn't ride rides. There were more than enough extra CMs at the entrances to all rides that were open, so I can't see a cost savings there (unless they cut them somewhere else). Plus, they're there all night.

The only loss I see for the resort guest benefit is the crowded Main Street and the "hassle" of taking your card out and showing it to someone - took an extra 5 seconds, maybe. Plus, you just don't feel like it's [U]your[U] park any more. But, this looked to be someone's promotion project to me.

This is just an outsider's opinion.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-18-2008, 11:38 AM
See, that argument is irrelevant about 'squeezing more revenue.'

Disney has always let the Guests stay who aren't on property shop in the stores. Well, as long as they've been on the previous version of EMH. So that is really nothing new.

They are pulling the bands because of expenses. Labor expenses. Why pay two people to do the same job when they can just eliminate the EMH people and have the ride attendants check for them. Saves on labor cost, which is actually the number one operating cost for theme parks. It's about 50-60% of their expenses.

jonahbear2006
09-18-2008, 01:04 PM
I think that this is something that only well known Disney guests knew, though. Sure, you could stay all along and some people knew it, so they stayed and didn't bother anyone but a lot of people felt like they didn't belong and would leave out of humble manners but Once the bracelet thing was changing, it occured to all the other guests who hadn't TRIED to hang around at an EMH, that they could get away with it. So, no, it wasn't an issue before but THIS has been like putting up a gigantic banner with neon writing that says, HEY YOU DON'T HAVE TO LEAVE, PLEASE STAY! WE WANT YOU TO STAY, AND MAYBE IF YOU CAN STAY YOU CAN RIDE ONE OR TWO RIDES. TRY IT, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!
So I see the reason why people think that it is an issue. Because before, Disney made it seem like guests had special time in the parks and it was obvious that it worked that way because the parks were dead. Now, it is obvious that Disney has made it official that people are welcome no matter whether they are resort guests are not (which I think is totally unfair btw), and has screamed over the treetops that the park is going to be a free for all. Disney DOES in FACT sell this perk as a resort benefit. Therefore, they are offering you one thing and delivering another. It is a gray area that they tiptoe over, very quietly. Some people will back Disney up no matter what, and that is fine. I don't back them up on this. As a person who has said that I would never NOT stay on property, I feel as if I have been betrayed, and I doubt I am alone. If they call it EMH and sell it to us as a reason to stay with them, then the public should be shoo-ed out so that the resort guests have their time and the non-resort guests go home thinking, "wow, next time I am staying with disney!"

luvdiznee
09-18-2008, 08:07 PM
This is reminding me of DTD more and more. Because at first at DTD, it was just for resort guests then everyone was welcome. So now the EMH seems to slowly be doing the same thing. :confused::(

disneygeek84
09-18-2008, 08:46 PM
I think that this is something that only well known Disney guests knew, though. Sure, you could stay all along and some people knew it, so they stayed and didn't bother anyone but a lot of people felt like they didn't belong and would leave out of humble manners but Once the bracelet thing was changing, it occurred to all the other guests who hadn't TRIED to hang around at an EMH, that they could get away with it. So, no, it wasn't an issue before but THIS has been like putting up a gigantic banner with neon writing that says, HEY YOU DON'T HAVE TO LEAVE, PLEASE STAY! WE WANT YOU TO STAY, AND MAYBE IF YOU CAN STAY YOU CAN RIDE ONE OR TWO RIDES. TRY IT, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

I agree 100%. When we were there last week our first night was the 7th...the night the card checking started. It really wasn't that bad (other than people not really knowing what was going on) but as the week went on we couldn't hardly stand to be in the parks at night that had EMHs. There were so many people you could hardly move. Which was strange because there wouldn't be that many people in the parks during the day.

And I witnessed on more than one occasion people trying to get on a ride that weren't on-site guests. And since most of the people there couldn't speak English, they would act like they didn't understand what the CM's at the entrance were talking about when they would ask them for their resort ID, not their tickets (which people were trying to do as well).

I just think that there are better ways of getting wristbands to people than just having wristband stations everywhere. There are plenty of people around the park that are working anyway and could be handing out wristbands. But that's just my :twocents:

MickeysEars
09-18-2008, 09:38 PM
we will try it in March, if it is too crowded in the evening we will adjust. I am disappointed. it was such a great perk of staying on the property.

doodleboy
09-19-2008, 08:32 AM
I had mentioned this in a previous post, but if you feel like you have had a bad experience with this or are being slighted, send an email to WDW guest relations on this issue at [email protected] I have already done so and gotten the canned response, but if enough people do it we may be heard. We put lots of time and energy into contributing to this board, :rocks: but in order to be heard we must express our feelings as paying guests to the mouse himself.

jonahbear2006
09-19-2008, 10:31 AM
I have never hesitated to send disney my upsets and concerns. But I agree that everyone should. Start sendin' them folks!

Mrs Bus Driver
10-18-2008, 11:34 PM
On my recent trip DD and I did all the emh nights at each park. We had no problems at any park. Lines were short, we were prepared. Just showed are cards and went on the rides. We had a great time and would do it again. :mickey: