PDA

View Full Version : We may need a wheelchair. Questions

kittysomerville
09-09-2008, 04:23 PM
My husband just recently had what we're playfully referring to as a freak accident this past Thursday (Sept 4th). He went to kick our bedroom door closed one morning and hit his toes just right (or wrong). He didn't break anything. He actually split the skin between his middle toe and the next to last toe. It actually tore quite a bit and he ended up having to get 6 stitches between his toes! Poor thing! :ill:

Anyway, we're getting the stitches out the day before we leave for WDW. We leave this Sunday the 14th. Most of his foot is all bruised and blue, and I'm concerned about him walking around on it. He tried walking on it yesterday at work, and did fine for a while, but it started bothering him after an extended period.

Anyway, now I'm wondering if I'm gonna need to have a wheelchair for him at the parks. He walks around the house ok, I'm just worried that he won't be able to handle all that walking at the parks.

If I have to rent a wheelchair for the duration of our stay, is it hard to get them on/off busses? Can I just pick up a chair every day at the park instead of messing with getting a chair on/off busses? Do I need to bring a doctor's note? What exactly are the logistics involved here? Will I even NEED a wheelchair by then?!? Am I over thinking this?!? :confused:

Jasper
09-09-2008, 04:46 PM
First of all sorry to hear about his accident. Secondly, I would have to guess that since he is already able to endure it for as long as you say he is now that by the time you get to WDW he will likely not need one. Plus, based on what you have said I would bet that if he needs a chair at all it will just be at the parks.

If you do get one, you can rent them by the day at each park and not have to worry about getting them on and off buses. The last time we did this several years ago they did not require any doctor statement. However, remember that they are not cheap and that you will have to provide an ID so they can make sure you return their chair and not leave it someplace in the park or run off and steal it. (I know, why would anyone want to, but I am sure it has been tried.)

Daisy'sMom
09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
The wheelchairs are very expensive at Disney. I see no reason why the price has gone up so, but it has. I would look into Buena Vista Scooters. They will deliver the chair to your resort. The buses are equipped for wheelchairs, but be prepared for some comments from other guests waiting to get on the bus. They can be mean sometimes. :mickey:

SFTrny
09-09-2008, 08:34 PM
What is the availability of chairs like at the parks? Do they run out?