PDA

View Full Version : Did you notice...

MaxPower
09-09-2008, 03:59 PM
I have been in all of the Disney Parks hundreds of times and one of my favorite things is getting to visit one of the theme parks with someone who has never been to Walt Disney World before. As we all know, a lot of work goes into what guest notice AND what they don't. Of course, Hidden Mickeys have a fan club all their own. But there are many other hidden touches throughout the parks that amuse guests - from talking water fountains to the Viking wearing Mickey Mouse ears on the Norway mural at EPCOT. My question is this: What do you notice in the theme parks that you think many other guests do not?

Imagineer1981
09-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Being a huge Imagineer fan, I always notice the little details in attractions that many people may not even notice, like how the music transitions from Mainstreet to Adventureland, or that the Tomorrowland bridge is 2x the size of any other bridge because a majority of humans are right handed and naturally go to the right when given a choice.

mrp4352
09-09-2008, 05:29 PM
There's music absolutely everywhere!

sorcerer fan
09-09-2008, 05:37 PM
picture spots. my family is a little weird, that we take pics of the picture spot signs and bring them home to show off to the rest of the family. Whenever anyone goes down there they try to find a new one to show off.

Jasper
09-09-2008, 05:38 PM
For me it is about what is different from the last time I was there. I like to take pictures of things I think are different and then compare them to old photos. For example; when you look at pictures from the early days of the Magic Kingdom take a good look at the handrail that encloses the ramps that lead up to the castle. What do you see that is different from now? The original hand rail was smooth on the top.

Disney had a problem with people sitting on the railing which spoiled pictures for others. Plus, it was a hazard because people would occasionally fall off and get hurt. So what did they do? Look at the top of the railing now and you will see that it has a line of points that kind of look like a dragons back. Sure makes a difference in how many people want to sit on the railing now!

SAnderson70769
09-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I agree with the above post - the attention to the detail!!! The different music and sounds, the artwork, the smells - makes it all an incredible place to witness! We are huge WDW fans and going again in October and my mother-in-law is going with us for her first visit so I'm pumped that we have someone new in our group - always fun to see people's reactions to the small things for the first time! WDW really sets itself apart by the details!

Tinkerbella16
09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
The attention to detail on almost everything in WDW just amazes me everytime I go back. It can be the smallest thing on an attraction or ride queue that I never noticed before.

Also, I really listen to the music that is played throughout all the parks...it really makes me feel at home. Some people don't even realize there is park music...that is where part of my appreciation for all things in wdw comes in a little. I love it!!!!

mickeys_princess_mom
09-09-2008, 10:11 PM
The attention to detail on almost everything in WDW just amazes me everytime I go back. It can be the smallest thing on an attraction or ride queue that I never noticed before.

Also, I really listen to the music that is played throughout all the parks...it really makes me feel at home. Some people don't even realize there is park music...that is where part of my appreciation for all things in wdw comes in a little. I love it!!!!
You said it well.:high5:

kemps@wdw
09-09-2008, 10:31 PM
The names of the "Imagineers" on the upper windows of the shops along Main St.
The key under the mat @ Muppet Vision 3D @ DHS.
The CMs hometown is on their nametags. We met a CM @ WL that was from the same town I work in.
The WL dock @ sunrise.
The toasted cinnamon pecans @ Epcot
I could go on, and on, and on....:D

Diznee4Me
09-10-2008, 07:55 AM
It is also amazing what young kids see.

Just last week I was at Disneyland with some friends and their youngest daughter had a camera to take her own photos. Her mother told me later that she took two photos, one of which was a trash can!:D

MaxPower
09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Speaking of "what young kids see", the Cinderella fountain behind the castle in the Magic Kingdom has a graphic of a crown imprinted in the concave wall behind the Cindrella statue. As an adult, you may not notice it. But from a child's perspective at a height of about 3-4 feet, when you look up at Cinderella's face, there is an optical illusion and the crown behind her appears to be placed on her head.

JPL
09-10-2008, 07:20 PM
There are way too many little details and hidden treasures I notice to list them all here. I know most people even some really big Disney fans often miss these things so it's not just first timers. I think the best place to experience the little details is at Animal Kingdom, I know they are present in all the parks but for some reason the level of detail in AK just surpasses the other parks by leaps and bounds.

garymacd
09-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Gee, after reading all these, I feel a little weird. I look for burnt out light bulbs!!

And then try to remember if they are the same ones that were burnt out last trip.

I need help!

eam
09-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Gee, after reading all these, I feel a little weird. I look for burnt out light bulbs!!

And then try to remember if they are the same ones that were burnt out last trip.

I need help!

:funny::funny::funny: I love this!!

badkitty
09-10-2008, 11:15 PM
For me, it is definitely the music too. Also, I love the exit signs. :secret: They are usually themed and quite interesting! I have a collection of photos of WDW and DLR exit signs! :blush:

mouseketeer mom
09-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Its the detail, detail, detail..as my DH says..they've thought of every little thing. It amazes me each and every time.

handmaidenofprincesses
09-11-2008, 07:17 AM
For me, I think it's the gardens.

Apparently I inherited the "must-take-photos-of-every-pretty-flower-I-see" gene from my dad, and there's no place quite like WDW to find gorgeous flowers :flower:. Only problem is that I can't take pictures of them all and still have time to go on all the attractions, so I usually end up walking past and pining to take pictures lol

Wickster1970
09-11-2008, 01:06 PM
This may sound a bit weird, but to me what a lot of people don’t notice is the intangible aura of pure magic. :magic:
I am sure that most regulars here know what I am talking about.

MaxPower
09-12-2008, 02:41 AM
I agree that the gardening and landscaping are truly amazing and aside from the topiaries, most of it is not in the forefront of the minds of most guests.

joanna71985
09-12-2008, 05:59 PM
*The music- I love listening to all the different music around the parks.
*Hidden Mickeys- I love finding them
*Just the little touches everywhere

Sylvia
09-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Music everywhere, perfectly themed to the location.

Street performers in all of the parks. Many guests are so busy rushing from one attraction to the next that they overlook some truly enjoyable "shows".

Sounds at night in all of the parks, but especially in Animal Kingdom.

Magic and pixie dust everywhere.

Attention to detail in all of the parks, and especially in Animal Kingdom. Have you ever checked out the buildings in Harambe?

Beautiful landscaping perfectly themed to each area in a particular park.

KT1234
09-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Wow! I love reading some of these...I didn't even realize some of them. Love the tidbit of how the bridge to Tomorrowland is larger because most people tend to go right b/c they're right-handed. Disney thinks of EVERYTHING!

I agree with the poster who mentioned that they always notice the name tags. I think it's a great thing to do becuase you usually will run into someone either from home or someplace that you're visited. It's great to talk to the CM's about becuase they always light right up and love talking about home. These convos always lead to other interesting Disney related convos. I suggest doing it, if you have the time, on your next vacation!

GoldenDreams
09-13-2008, 08:32 PM

I need help!

Oh, thank you for posting this! It reminded me of my first trip to Disney World when my Dad pointed out how when we were leaving at night, the cast members were coming out to fix things up. He also pointed out that any trash is scooped up immediately. I think it's lost a little of its shine since then, but it's still wonderful, of course.

kbean
09-13-2008, 09:35 PM
I've been there so many times that I look past the attractions on the ride....and look for hidden paths or stairways.....mechanics on the characters.....things of this sort. A

Anyone else look for weird stuff like this?

HoosierDisneyFan
09-13-2008, 10:09 PM
As a fan of amusement parks in general (Disney World being the best by far!!), I notice that most every line to a major attraction has entertain of some sort....

Where is is the build up to EE or the pre-show at Muppet Vision. Most amusement parks just have a line with ropes. Disney even makes the waiting experience fun!

MickeysEars
09-13-2008, 10:38 PM
I think a person who goes for the first time looks at the whole picture. I stand in one place and try to absorb the details. the script on the the different sign in each of the different lands or the way the music changes from land to land.

goofygirl67
09-14-2008, 04:08 PM
The one thing I have noticed through out the years is the amount of waterfalls that are in WDW.

MaxPower
09-16-2008, 12:47 AM
I also tend to look at how the queues will change each time I visit. Crowd control fascinates me in the parks. For example, I find it interesting how the entry for "It's Tough To Be A Bug" can hop around. ( No pun intended.)

cinderella crazy
09-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Being a former music teacher I tend to really notice the music. It's just amazing how they've picked the right music for everything, whether it be an attraction, area of a park, or resort. I absolutely love the music at WL. I feel like I'm in the old west.

MaxPower
09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Talking about details, the next time you are in any restaurant or shop in the Animal Kingdom, take a look up. There are so many artistic details above your head depicting animals it's amazing. Even most of the bathrooms have animal artwork somewhere within.

Volunteer
09-18-2008, 12:35 AM
I also tend to look at how the queues will change each time I visit. Crowd control fascinates me in the parks. For example, I find it interesting how the entry for "It's Tough To Be A Bug" can hop around. ( No pun intended.)

what? am i missing something? can you explain, please? :)

DigitalDaredevil
09-18-2008, 02:22 AM
I like looking for things that are wrong or broken, I.E. burned out lights, things like that. It is rare to find anything wrong as the CM's do a wonderful job of maintaining the magic.

Magic Smiles
09-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Talking about details, the next time you are in any restaurant or shop in the Animal Kingdom, take a look up. There are so many artistic details above your head depicting animals it's amazing. Even most of the bathrooms have animal artwork somewhere within.

And people would look at me as if I was a little weird as I take photos of the ceilings, but there is so much detail up there.

A Big Kid
09-18-2008, 12:11 PM
The hidden Jaffar and the hidden Gonzo.

Airblue1
09-18-2008, 12:30 PM
When you ride Soarin the Hidden :mickey: on the golfball. For some reason always gets me!

TheWizofDiz
09-18-2008, 01:34 PM
In Epcot, I have enjoyed the wonderful Japanese gardens, just behind the pagoda, that have those crazy goldfish on steroids...and the way the water sounds flowing thru the elevated garden...a real treat!:thumbsup:

Also, the minature train that is to the right of the German Pavilion....how cool is that!

EpcotFan182
09-21-2008, 01:25 PM
The music is definately on top of my list - sometimes I don't even notice it but there is music EVERYWHERE! :mickey: Also, over the years I've come to appreciate the amount of work Imagineers put in the queue areas of some rides. Star Tours for example has so many little details put into the queue area. It's amazing.

JerseyDad
09-22-2008, 12:43 PM
I agree that the gardening and landscaping are truly amazing and aside from the topiaries, most of it is not in the forefront of the minds of most guests.

...the landscape is the one thing that I definitely take notice of while in WDW. Maybe it's because we travel south to WDW in the fall when all the trees are starting to go bare here in Jersey...but I really am taken aback by the attention that is paid to the landscape.

Regarding that same item...is the coolest (in my mind) thing I've ever seen related to the landscape in Disneyworld: While on line for Tower of Terror...I really was loving the amount of surrounding landscape and the feeling it lended to the whole "abandoned hotel" theme. Then..out of the corner of my eye...I caught some movement amongst the landscape. There was a cast member in there...in FULL camouflage attire (including face-screen)...doing landscape maintenance work!! It took a keen eye to pick him out (I think it was a HIM??) I suppose it would be impossible to do landscaping at night after the park closed...or maybe they wouldn't want to disturb any wild-life that lives among the landscape....but the fact that Disney thought of a way to have maintenance work performed in broad daylight...with little (if any) impact on the whole "Disney Illusion".....was simply brilliant.

Simba's Mom
09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
I wonder how many people don't notice, in the stretching room at the HM, the guy hanging from above? Or am I the only one? It took me about 8 times through the HM, after many trips, before I looked up and noticed him.
Yes, regarding the music, maybe I noticed this because DS is a musician, but the different lands at the MK that play different music, play in the same rythm so that if you're near the edge of two lands and hearing a little of both music, it doesn't sound like a real "mish-mash".

DVC_dad
09-24-2008, 09:27 PM
I only recently noticed the "ghost horse hoof prints" in the cement in front of HM.

MaxPower
09-25-2008, 12:26 PM
On Kiliminjaro Safaris, I also find myself trying to locate every feeding station that is disguised as a rock or tree stump.