PDA

View Full Version : Remodel decision help!

debandbub
09-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I always have my WDW questions answered by the fine people on Intorcot, now, I need your help with a non-WDW topic!
We have decided to remodel several rooms in our house- sort of a coming out of the Disco era and into the new millenium kind of thing. Anyways.... I can't make a decision to save my life. I am seriously considering handing over the decisions to someone else totally! Here's my latest non-decision: the kitchen floor- ceramic tile or laminate hardwoods??? We have a pretty open floor plan. The kitchen overlooks the family room (with laminate hardwoods) and connects to the dining room (currently carpets, but going to be laminate hardwoods). I had planned on ceramic tile for the kitchen, until one of my "friends" gave me something else to think about when she suggested the wood for the kitchen too!
I am having a hard time finding tile that I like for the kitchen. But if we go with the wood, do we match the family room which is light oak, or can/should we go darker in the kitchen and DR? We have dark cherry cabinets that I love and are in good shape.

PLEASE help me decide! What's everyone's opinions??? Thank you soo much!!!

tink2006
09-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I feel your pain. It is so hard to make some decorating decisions! I would go with consistency and choose the laminate hardwood. However, you know your family best. Ultimatley, I would choose what worked for our family as far as durability etc.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
09-09-2008, 11:32 AM
We just recently went with the laminate flooring in our kitchen, and are extremely satisfied. Many installation places will let you bring home "sample tabs" which would help you decide on the color that matches best.

Jen C.
09-09-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm not very familiar with laminate hardwoods, and I'm assuming they're different from regular hardwoods. But, I have regular hardwood throughout my home, but slate in my kitchen, foyer, and laundry areas, and I have to say, I like the fact that you can use more "heavy duty" disenfectants and cleaners on the slate, than you can on the woods. Especially in a kitchen where things can sometimes get :sick:

BrerGnat
09-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I'd go with the tile in the kitchen. It seems to be more durable to kitchen "accidents". If you drop a heavy pan or spill something nasty, you could damage laminate flooring, whereas tile will will stand up to it. What you have to be careful of with tile, though, is which GROUT you choose. Make sure you choose a stain resistant grout! Nothing worse than spilling red wine on white grout...

meldan98
09-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I personally would go with Tile in the kitchen. With laminate, water, juice, milk, etc. can seep through the cracks and settle in under the laminate. Which can create warped boards and a moldy mess.