PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on removing a bandage - not a pleasant topic

alphamommy
09-09-2008, 01:46 AM
Hi, everyone,

When I had my surgery last week, they put a femoral IV in my groin area. Let's just say that whomever put it in was quite liberal with the use of tape.

When the line was taken out, the tape removal was HORRIBLE! After the ordeal, pressure was applied, then a new, smaller bandage was taped over the area. I was told to wait about trying to remove it until I got home and could shower.

Well, I've tried taking it off in the shower for two days now, but can't get it more than half way. It's very, very stuck. I've been trying to think of something (WD-40? Baby oil?) that I can apply to help the process. I'm not sure what to do other than just rip it off and scream like a banshee.

Does anyone have any ideas, or am I stuck (so to speak) with just bearing the pain of ripping off the bandage with whatever hair is stuck to it?

Thanks,
Tammy

DisneyLandMomma
09-09-2008, 03:55 AM
Oh you poor thing...I feel your pain. Last month, I had to have a hysterectomy(done abdominally), I also had some tape issues...I left it as long as I could but I just knew it had to come off. I was told to use rubbing alcohol around the edges of the tape, applying more alcohol as you peel the tape off. It stung some because my incision was under the tape(of course) but I think it was better than if I would of had to rip the thing off.

I hope you can get it off without much pain.

SBETigg
09-09-2008, 06:32 AM
No advice, but I am cringing for you! I would maybe try some soap and water, lotion, powder-- I don't know, try anything. You can actually tear skin if you just rip it off. Take care!

Cinderelley
09-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Hmm, they should've shaved you before they put it on, but there's not too much you can do about that now. At work, we would use a special preparation to help take the pressure bandages off. You should go back to the nurse's station of the floor you were staying on and ask them if they have anything. They should. If not, ask them for some alcohol wipes to use.

This won't help with the hair situation, but it should keep your skin intact.

KronkHere
09-09-2008, 07:57 AM
This is the strangest post I have ever seen....My advice is to just RIP IT OFF and be done with it....
:ambal:

kakn7294
09-09-2008, 08:19 AM
In my hospital, we have adhesive remover wipes to help with really sticky dressings. They should have given you some. You need to get that off as soon as possible before it starts to break down your skin or an infection sets in from being wet underneath. At home, you can try the baby oil on a cotton ball. Lift up an edge of tape then as you slowly pull it off, wipe along the edge where it's still adhered to your skin with the baby oil to try to assist in loosening the dressing. Try to keep the baby oil off of the actual insertion wound if you can. If the bandage is stuck to a lot of hair, you might want to carefully trim it away with a pair of scissors rather than rip it off. When you are done, wash gently but thoroughly with soap and water and pat dry. If you are not too shy about it, you can have a family member or close friend help you get that bandage off.

Little Round Bale
09-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Sorry about your delemia. But hope you are on the mend. I would suggest either baby oil or a vegtable oil.

Oddly enough on a food science show on the food channel that tried to get bubble gum out of hair and oil won.

I also thing the doc should have given you some addhesive remover. Not sure if it is different but I picked up some decal remover pads at walmart.

That alcohol could be a little rough in that area.

Just remember afterwards..... pamper yourself. :thumbsup:

Good Luck

Jen C.
09-09-2008, 09:44 AM
This is the strangest post I have ever seen....My advice is to just RIP IT OFF and be done with it....
:ambal:

This is hardly the strangest post ever seen. The OP is quite aware of the "ripping it off" option, but is looking for a less painful alternative. :listen: Perhaps you are not aware, but this particular poster is going through an extremely difficult challenge right now, and anything that we as a group can offer to make even the littlest thing easier for her is greatly appreciated. :)

Alphamommy, any type of oil, but specifially try olive oil, should loosen the adhesive. Try to lay olive oil soaked cotton or gauze across your bandages for several minutes. Then try to roll the adhesive from the ends. I say olive oil because it is very good for your skin, and should not irritate. Best of luck to you, and you remain in my prayers. :hug:

tinklover
09-09-2008, 09:48 AM
as another poster stated try using alcohol and trimming the hair that the adhesive is attached to. I had OPen heart surgery at the age of 15 and a cardiac cath done about a month before surgury so I know what you are going thru. lots of tape and anxiety of getting it off. the nurses were nice and used alcohol wipes for me when they would remove my banages and dressings. it was amazing how it would lift off with no pain. i now even use that method for my DDs when removing their bandaids. good luck with the issue.

mrsgaribaldi
09-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Practically all the advice has been great so far. I have nothing I can add except good luck:mickey: Here's some :pixie::pixie::pixie:so that it comes off easy.

crazypoohbear
09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
If the oil doesn't work, I think I remember hearing that putting Ice on it would help with it. before trying any of our solutions check with your health care provider.
Good Luck

Michigander
09-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Try the Avon Skin so Soft oil. Works for a lot of this stuck bandage thing. It even removes stuck on lables from store bought items. It smells nice and will make your skin fel wonderful. I do not sell Avon I just know how well this work because I've used it myself!

RenDuran
09-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Are baths off limits? If not, you could soak in a nice bubble bath, while that bandage loosens.

Jeri Lynn
09-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Tammy,
I don't have any advise beyond what people have posted, but I just wanted to let you know that I hope you feel better soon and I hope the bandage comes off easily with one of the methods suggested.

FriendsofMickey
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I did not read all the replies. However, wanted to suggest you use vaseline. When my little ones were babies, I would not let them put bandages on them because taking off the bandage was worse then the shot.
One of the nurses suggested vaseline. And it works pretty good. Stick the vaseline on thick and let it sit for a while.
It should help.
I had to use large bandages on my thigh a couple of years ago. I swear the bandages caused me more pain then the stitches did. I cannot imagine what you are going through.

judoma
09-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Hello alphamommy. Sorry I don't have anything else to add. One of the great suggestions from others is bound to work. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Advnt05
09-09-2008, 12:59 PM
I would add, drink a little bourbon. Pull a little on the bandage, if you still fill it, drink a little more.:marg:

MNNHFLTX
09-09-2008, 01:17 PM
In my hospital, we have adhesive remover wipes to help with really sticky dressings. They should have given you some. You need to get that off as soon as possible before it starts to break down your skin or an infection sets in from being wet underneath. At home, you can try the baby oil on a cotton ball. Lift up an edge of tape then as you slowly pull it off, wipe along the edge where it's still adhered to your skin with the baby oil to try to assist in loosening the dressing. Try to keep the baby oil off of the actual insertion wound if you can. If the bandage is stuck to a lot of hair, you might want to carefully trim it away with a pair of scissors rather than rip it off. When you are done, wash gently but thoroughly with soap and water and pat dry. If you are not too shy about it, you can have a family member or close friend help you get that bandage off.This is what I would have suggested to. :thumbsup:

Good luck. It's a difficult thing to have to do. :(

Minnie Imagineer
09-09-2008, 02:57 PM
weel I don't have any advice...but I wanted to wish you goodluck! I hope you're not in too much pain!
:thumbsup:

Mom2Princess'
09-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I wanted to say good luck getting it off! At our hospital we use either the alcohol or the oil if no adhesive remover is nearby. Both work well. Being in a sensitive area, I recommend starting with the oil and if that doesn't work try the alcohol. Go slow and if you don't mind having someone help I would suggest that as well.

thrillme
09-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Well if none of the "oils" work I can't say anything bad about WD 40...I know boyscouts have been known to use that to take the sting out of fire ant bites so it shouldn't hurt you.

On the other note too...Peanut Butter has been known to get gum out of hair.

I think the big problem is that the bandage is somewhat water proof so the oils/water etc are not penetrating to dissolve the adhesive. So you may have to pick at it while oiling it down.

I'm not sure why you haven't had a nice HOT bath oil bath (unless you're not supposed to yet). No trip to Body and Bath soon...Baby Oil works well too. I haven't had a bandage yet stand up to a long soak.

If that fails...a big glass of whisky and a steady hand to steer by. :(

kakn7294
09-10-2008, 12:59 AM
While I'm sure it's very well-meaning, there is one piece of advice here that is not good and hopefully the hospital discharge instructions already stressed it. While I'm sure it would be relaxing and feel great, you should not be soaking in a tub for at least a week after that IV line was removed. Soaking in water in a bathtub, hot tub, or swimming pool is just inviting an infection to set in at that site and possibly even systemically.