PDA

View Full Version : So bummed, still on waitlist

fanofdisney
09-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Ok, maybe I was in lala land but I was really thinking my waitlist would come through. We are only 46 days away and we are still at SSR. I don't want to sound ungrateful because I'm thrilled to be a DVC member and loved SSR when we stayed there but we thought it would be nice to stay somewhere else this time. It looks like I will be calling at 32 days out to let them know I want to stay on the waitlist. Has anyone had any luck with their waitlist coming through this close to their vacation?:(

Roo Girl
09-08-2008, 03:46 PM
I feel your pain. For some reason I really thought our waitlist would come through too- but so far we are still reserved with our 1BR in SSR. I kept thinking that w/ this crazy economy, maybe just maybe a 1BR would have come up in BWV or BCV but no dice. We leave in 11 days and as of this coming Saturday (1 week prior to departure) our waitlist drops from the system. BUMMER!! I was going to ask the same question- and Sept is kinda the slow season right?- has anyone else's waitlists come through for Sept/Oct?

lockedoutlogic
09-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Still on a waitlist 32 days out for many categories/locations.....

booked okw on the day of the 7 month window and went on for beach, boardwalk, and wilderness.....

friends decided to go about 3 months ago and are STILL on a waitlist just to get a room.

To be honest....after two years of DVC membership....i'm not at all satisfied with the product. I don't like saratoga and if I were to get a second "home"......that wouldn't be it....

:bang:

AHOTE
09-08-2008, 07:19 PM
We're still on the wait list too with 57 days out for a 1BR at BCV or BW. Just keeping our fingers crossed. This is the first time on a wait list so I have nothing to compare it with. I have no problems with SSR, we liked it because we could walk to PI but with it closing we won't do DTD more than once this visit. I'd rather BW or BCV where at least there's some nightlife. :secret:

epceddie
09-09-2008, 12:52 AM
My wife and I were on waitlists for a studio at OKW or Saratoga Springs Oct. 19-24 and we got word two days ago (41 days out) that SSR had come through.

We're thrilled to be staying at Disney. We spent our honeymoon in a 1BR at Saratoga in Congress Park with a great view of Downtown Disney and loved every minute.

We've also stayed at OKW (our home resort) in the past and it's another beautiful resort.

We would love to stay at the Beach Club, Boardwalk and Wilderness Lodge in the future. Getting something at the 7-month window can be tough though, especially in October when the Food & Wine Festival is at Epcot and the park is so close to those two resorts.

All you can do is keeping thinking positive thoughts. I regretfully made a reservation for our October trip through Priceline. I don't know what I was thinking, but they gave us some god-awful hotel in Kissimmee and that prompted us to put our names on the waitlists.

We had to eat the cost of that first hotel room, but we patiently waited for the wait list to come through and it did. Now, we can use our DVC points and we couldn't be happier.

I know it's disappointing not being able to get something at the Beach Club or Boardwalk, but hang in there. You're still going to Disney and that's all that really matters.

Keep the faith! I hope you all get what you're hoping for.

pox24
09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
We are going week of Oct 19th and are wait listed also. SSR is ok but we are seeking a 2 BR at the BWV. From experience, its a long shot for us to be reassigned mainly due to the fact its the Food and Wine Festival which is a very popular event. I wish you the best but at least you a have something as do we.

lockedoutlogic
09-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Well.....our problem is that we have friends coming that don't have anything right now.....

that isn't our fault.....but since their points only became available in June....it's not really their fault either.

I mispoke - that's the first problem. The second is that we were hoping to get in at either Boardwalk or Beach club because our 8 month old can be strolled to DHS or EPCOT for short periods of time if he's not adjusting well (he is pretty resilient....but the production of busing everywhere or taking the car is tedious and takes away the relaxation factor with the little Bubba)....That's why we want the Beach club or boardwalk.....for logistics as much as that they are simply better than OKW or Saratoga...

Don't get me wrong....I really like Old Key West....It never seems to be as crowded as the other locations.....great pool area....Olivia's is a great location....and the Quickserve has onion rings and key lime pie...so you can't go wrong there.

Saratoga....my "home"...on the otherhand....is not interesting. Basically....they threw up 900 cookie cutter units around the old center of Disney Institute. And let's be clear....the Disney Institute was terrible.

Not that the rooms and facilities aren't nice...they are....but there are too many people....the main pool is packed and placed in basically the central quad-with tons of foot traffic around it at all times....the food is good....but the Artist's Palette and Turf Club aren't enough...in my opinion
The proximity to downtown is great....but in the end....it's downtown. the restaurant access is an advantage, but the shopping thing is no substitute for proximity to a themepark.

Sorry to be a bit whiny.....but the main problem is that not all the locations are equal.....not even close.

...and...to be honest....Vacation Club is not cheap....so while i completely understand the optimism and "be happy you're going to disneyworld/ got something" sentiments.....is that really enough for you? Really?

dlpmikki
09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
The waitlist problem has always existed. I couldn't get into Boardwalk a few years ago. As DVC gets bigger the problem will only get worse and that's why for a number of years it has been strongly suggested that you buy where you want to stay. Having extra years isn't going to help you if you can't stay where you want now.

lockedoutlogic
09-09-2008, 11:14 AM
The waitlist problem has always existed. I couldn't get into Boardwalk a few years ago. As DVC gets bigger the problem will only get worse and that's why for a number of years it has been strongly suggested that you buy where you want to stay. Having extra years isn't going to help you if you can't stay where you want now.

I used to completely disagree with you.....now i completely agree.

the waitlist problem...however....usually was limited to only the most busy of times....other than that you could usually get what you want.

It's a direct reflection of the diluting of the pool by the huge number of units sold at Saratoga and now animal kingdom.....

there's just too many fish in a pond that isn't getting bigger fast enough.

Aurora
09-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Saratoga....my "home"...on the otherhand....is not interesting. Basically....they threw up 900 cookie cutter units around the old center of Disney Institute. And let's be clear....the Disney Institute was terrible.

Not that the rooms and facilities aren't nice...they are....but there are too many people....the main pool is packed and placed in basically the central quad-with tons of foot traffic around it at all times....the food is good....but the Artist's Palette and Turf Club aren't enough...in my opinion
The proximity to downtown is great....but in the end....it's downtown. the restaurant access is an advantage, but the shopping thing is no substitute for proximity to a themepark.

Sorry to be a bit whiny.....but the main problem is that not all the locations are equal.....not even close.

...and...to be honest....Vacation Club is not cheap....so while i completely understand the optimism and "be happy you're going to disneyworld/ got something" sentiments.....is that really enough for you? Really?

I have to jump in here and say SSR really IS good enough for us. I happen to think it's beautiful, with whatever you're looking for -- activity or peacefulness. And I also attended the Disney Institute and enjoyed the campus even back then.

Yes, the Artist's Palette is busy, but so is the bakery on the Boardwalk and any number of other eateries at the DVC spots. And we had one of our best meals at the Turf Club on our second-to-last trip.

No, it's not next to a theme park, but Downtown Disney is a GREAT second best.

I agree that you can't beat the Boardwalk and Beach Club for location, but as opposed to those who believe that opening more DVC resorts will further lock up the waitlist, I think it will give owners more choices.

Yes, SSR will probably be literally the last resort for folks, but your chances of getting VWL, BCV or BWV on a waitlist will be better when BLT opens.

And I'd also be willing to bet that when Disneyland and Hawaii opens, more owners will waitlist to spread their vacations there as well.

It's a direct reflection of the diluting of the pool by the huge number of units sold at Saratoga and now animal kingdom.....

there's just too many fish in a pond that isn't getting bigger fast enough.

Again, I think that's because the "pond" that everyone complains about not being able to swim in right now are the smallest inlets: the Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk and Beach Club.

Now, I believe everything I just said with one qualifier: new DVC resorts will have to have at least one other attraction/destination attached or nearby. If DVC builds another resort with just an adjacent golf course for diversion, all bets are off. ;)

lockedoutlogic
09-09-2008, 07:51 PM
i was actually reading earlier today....

as of March of this year - when Disney had to file it's application to sell timeshares at the contemporary....

the total number of DVC members was 112,000.....while the total number of SARATOGA members was 39,600...

now....saratoga is the biggest....so it would of course be the most...BUT....big but.....since it is probably (definitely...actually....but i was trying to be nice) in the lowest two by demand...that is a huge difference.

The demand for the others, undoubtedly, diminished little with the opening of Saratoga...while the amount of people in the pool increased by over a third.

It's just numbers....if they had built 300 units at Saratoga an 500 at contemporary....then it wouldn't have been a problem.

But they had an albatross with disney institute and they exploited it the only way they could...with timeshare....

animal kingdom...to a lesser extent...was in the same boat. If the new area fails to excite....this problem will be worse.

The paradigm was thrown off.....and true....the contemporary will be highly in demand....but they will probably sell it quickly and the membership might have to backfill back towards the other resorts.....no help there....

Don't really see how this situation will ever get better....and judging by the huge numbers of saratoga resales available through third parties......the reviews are in and they're not spectacular.

To put it succinctly....Saratoga feels like a moderate.....alot like Caribbean to me.

And while there is certainly nothing wrong with a moderate....if you take the rack rate out of the equation....the deluxes are always going to be jam packed first.

and one final thing - Saratoga is rip-off in point value. It is on average 3 points a night more than OKW....has smaller rooms....a pullout instead of two queens....and offers little else more.

If they had charged and equal number of points for saratoga as okw.....the demand would be much higher and the strain on non-home reservations would have been lessened.

Sunshine1010
09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
My Use year is December at SSR. In January 2008, I called and made my reservation for SSR. Got all the dates. At the 7th month window, I started calling daily to switch over to OKW (just to try something different...I actually love SSR). I got every day except for Dec. 7th. So, I kept the SSR day just so I would have a room. But, then I decided to cancel that reservation and ask for a studio at OKW and pay cash. I'm saving lots of points since Dec. 7th is a weekend.

My vacation is Dec. 5-14.

But, I'm STILL waitlisted for Dec. 7th. I've been on the waitlist since May. I doubt I'll get the day. But it sure does make it hard when I'm gonna have to pack up, check out and check back in to a studio. Then, the next day, pack up and check out again, and check in again back to the regular room.

Just a nuisance, and it's a lot of busy work. But --- I'm trying to not let it bother me. There are far worse things that I could stress over.

I mean, 1/2 my friends can't even afford to go to Disney, and I'm mad because I can't get 1 night. I feel guilty with my actions at times.

Sorry to ramble.....but yeah, he he, I am irritated that I can't get that one day.