PDA

View Full Version : Whatever Happened to the Halloween Parties at the Studios?

rastahomie
09-08-2008, 09:43 AM
A year or so ago there was talk that the Studios would soon begin hosting Halloween events that were more adult-oriented than MNSSHP - more on par with Universal's Halloween Horror Nights. If I recall correctly, this was more than just a rumor; Disney had announced it officially, the Orlando Sentinel was reporting it, etc.

What has happened since then? I've heard nothing about any Halloween events at the Studios lately.

Thanks.

JPL
09-08-2008, 10:05 AM
This was a rumour never actually confirmed. There are still rumbling about it from time to time but no official announcement has been made.

Darbylew
09-08-2008, 10:20 AM
That would be great for the older kids. We are
going in October and have tickets for MNSSHP.
Can't wait to get back in the land of MICKEY
and the MAGIC. :mickey:

Imagineer1981
09-08-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't think I'd want a halloween horror nights rip off. Doesn't fit with Disney to do something scary like that

NJGIRL
09-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Universal Halloween Horror Nights are out of this world! They are so much fun and are outdone by no one. We have been to paties at theme parks in Las Vegas, NJ, PA and no one does it like Universal.

Disney will never be able to do a party like Universal and if they try I'm sure it will be a big let down for people who go to the Universal Party. Universal's parties are very very scarey they are not for children under 10 - 12 years old. People in costumes follow you around with axes etc. Lights are out and fog all over the streets. They have haunted houses which are very gorey. IMO It's just something Disney will never be able to do with their family image.

LauraleeH
09-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Disney would never do something like that, but I can imagine them doing a scarier, more "adult" party. I think it would be a Nightmare Before Christmas theme. That would take a LOT of work to transform another park, though...

Jasper
09-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Disney will never be able to do a party like Universal and if they try I'm sure it will be a big let down for people who go to the Universal Party. Universal's parties are very very scarey they are not for children under 10 - 12 years old. People in costumes follow you around with axes etc. Lights are out and fog all over the streets. They have haunted houses which are very gorey. IMO It's just something Disney will never be able to do with their family image.

I may be mistaken but I don't think this was ever actually announced by Disney. I believe it never got beyond the rumor stage.

While I agree that Disney's version of an upper teens to adult Halloween party would have to be different because of Disney's family image I do disagree with you that these people would be disappointed if they went to Universal's first.

Disney can certainly match anyone on the planet fog machine for fog machine and scary doesn't necessarily mean gory and bloody. If you have ever watched any Alfred Hitchcock thrillers, many of the early Twilight zones, and early Outer Limits you will know that a psychological thriller can do more to scare you than all the blood and gore in the world. Even the original Jaws movie was along those same lines.

Here in Indiana at Springs Mill State Park they have a very picturesque pioneer village that they turn into a haunted village each year. The folks that put the haunted village on each year bill it as a "family" experience. And yet, even though there is almost no gore or blood it can be VERY scary. It is all about building up the suspense and making things turn up in places and in ways that you don't expect. The nice thing about this kind of haunt experience is that since it is all about the mind, the performers can back off if a guest is just panicked beyond belief or if there are really small children. If a state park in Indiana can do it I am very confident that Disney can do it if they want to.

LauraleeH
09-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Here in Indiana at Springs Mill State Park they have a very picturesque pioneer village that they turn into a haunted village each year. The folks that put the haunted village on each year bill it as a "family" experience. And yet, even though there is almost no gore or blood it can be VERY scary. It is all about building up the suspense and making things turn up in places and in ways that you don't expect. The nice thing about this kind of haunt experience is that since it is all about the mind, the performers can back off if a guest is just panicked beyond belief or if there are really small children. If a state park in Indiana can do it I am very confident that Disney can do it if they want to.
Aww, that sounds awesome, I really want to go now!!! And I agree...I don't get freaked out by blood or anything...but I love Hitchcock films :thumbsup:

Imagineer1981
09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I think Disney realizes that they would rather focus on their primary costumer, the family. That's why they have MNSSHP i/o horror nights. Its an opportunity for the entire family to experience and celebrate halloween without some employee chasing you with an axe. Considering most MSNSSHP sell out, I would say that Disney isn't too concerned with doing a horror nights just to appeal to the older crowd. Plus we have all seen the chaos of grad nights, what do you think Horror Nights is at Universal, a ton of teens running and screaming and throwing trash and jumping lines, etc!!!

thumperbug
09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Maybe Epcot should host special events for a holiday from each country in World Showcase during the year.

Not all countries celebrate the same holidays and to have an event for each could probably work out to a special event/night every month.

There is the Chinese New Year in February, they could always expand on the United Kingdom and celebrate St Patricks day, or for France, Bastille day.

I know that during the holiday times they have christmas around the world, I am thinking of lesser known but non-the less celebrated holidays that could be fun.

Imagineer1981
09-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Maybe Epcot should host special events for a holiday from each country in World Showcase during the year.

Not all countries celebrate the same holidays and to have an event for each could probably work out to a special event/night every month.

There is the Chinese New Year in February, they could always expand on the United Kingdom and celebrate St Patricks day, or for France, Bastille day.

I know that during the holiday times they have christmas around the world, I am thinking of lesser known but non-the less celebrated holidays that could be fun.

Disney does do a few things here and there for other holidays...I know we have gone to China pavillion during Chinese New year and found special merchandise and pins.

NJGIRL
09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Disney can certainly match anyone on the planet fog machine for fog machine and scary doesn't necessarily mean gory and bloody. If you have ever watched any Alfred Hitchcock thrillers, many of the early Twilight zones, and early Outer Limits you will know that a psychological thriller can do more to scare you than all the blood and gore in the world. Even the original Jaws movie was along those same lines.

Universal's parties do use every element of fright (Not just the blood and guts). They have been given the top halloween party award each year for something like the last ten years. You would have to attend a party to get the full idea of what they are all about because words just can't describe the experience to someone who has never been to one. We like the Disney party (we have been to at least 6 or 7)but it's nothing like the Universal party but it does suit the "disney theme" of fun for the whole family.