PDA

View Full Version : Tony's Town Square

why4k
09-08-2008, 04:24 AM
We(Me, DW, DS10, DD7) ate here Sat. Aug. 30th. It was our first day at DW and we wanted to visit MK first. I know that Tony's has gotten some poor reviews here, but with limited time in the park I thought eating in the park would be our best option. I was wrong.
The theming and location of this restaurant are good. The service, while not spectacular, was not bad at all. The problem was the food. When I can't finish a ten ounce steak there must be something wrong. My children love italian food but barely touched their spaghetti. My wife didn't eat much of her dinner either.
The best part was that when we walked outside after dinner Spectromagic was just starting, and we had a nice viewing area.
While I didn't care for Tony's, I'm sure others have had better experiences. In fact, the only bad part about it was the food. Unfortunately, that's why I go to a restaurant; the food.

mouseketeer mom
09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
This seems to be such a hit or miss spot. Our first experience was terrific..so much so that we booked it again our next trip. The second time it was almost inedible. Cold, tasteless, nothing like our first experience. I have read that often too....I wonder why this place isn't consistent at all??

Belle_0717
09-08-2008, 08:29 AM
DH and I have found if you can get an ADR within the first 45 minutes - 1 hour, there will be no problems. It is when it is well into lunch service that we encounter the problems. Chef Ramsey would never have it!

lockedoutlogic
09-08-2008, 08:44 AM
The location and ambience are great.....

the food is generally bad.

While i've had good experiences there....the food is not of a quality to be consistently good.

In order to have a good meal...everything has to be perfect that day....whereas most disney restaurants have a much larger margin of error.

Until they decided to make it more than a cheap spaghetti factory - i can't see myself going back.

But all Magic Kingdom restaurants are basically designed to move people through at this point....food quality is not the goal....table turnover is.

Why else would they covert a standard menu character meal to a standard menu without the character meal at Liberty Tree?

Without Minnie and Goofy.....the dining experience with just be hit or miss mass produced food.....good at times.....not really more than average at others.

Going to a resort outside of the park for meal is a much better option....if feasible

NJGIRL
09-08-2008, 11:33 AM
In all the years and meals we have eaten at Disney I have unfortunately have to say that Tony's is the only place we have had a truely bad meal. We probably will never go back. For us it was the food also.

#1donaldfan
09-08-2008, 12:08 PM
We love Tony's ..... our only bad meal EVER at Disney was at 50's ....YUCK.....

.....the food at Tony's while not bad, probably could be better, but the atmosphere makes up for the food....it really does.....:thumbsup:

Checkers
09-08-2008, 02:45 PM
In all the years and meals we have eaten at Disney I have unfortunately have to say that Tony's is the only place we have had a truely bad meal. We probably will never go back. For us it was the food also.

Exactly. We also had really, really poor service as well. Talked to the manager but he really wasn't too interested. We haven't been back since. It is such a wonderful location and a really nice restaurant it is a shame Disney doesn't make more of an effort to improve it.

GrmGrninGost
09-08-2008, 05:54 PM
My family and I have put off eating at Tony's due to the negative things we have read about it. We decided to try it this past week. I will say it was one of the more enjoyable meals of our vacation. The food was very good, the service was excellent and the restaurant itself is beautiful! This will not be my last visit to this wonderful place!

big blue and hairy
09-08-2008, 06:42 PM
I would say the food is generally ok... You can get better food elsewhere, but it is a nice place to go once in a while. Of course, I may think that because we went there on our honeymoon, but...it is a beautiful restaurant. DW and I are both a little surprised that the food isn't better.

:sulley:

Belle619
09-10-2008, 09:57 AM
:ditto: The food there is average - nothing special and definitely not up to par with other restaurants at WDW. However, when we went, we were interested in having dinner between Spectromagic and Wishes, so the convenience and location made it tolerable.

Even though I had read the poor reviews before we went, I still believe in trying everything at least once for myself.

KylesMom
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Consistency sure seems to be the problem here. In 2007, DS and I kept our reservation when DH ended up sick & had to stay in the room. We had a very enjoyable lunch, and wanted to share it with DH this year.

Unfortunately, on 7/24 it was like it was a different restaurant. My meatball sandwich was without much of any sauce or cheese and was on stale, tasteless bread. It truly was inedible. DS ordered the spaghetti, and had about five bites and that was it. Although DH thought his meal was ok, the service, coupled with the lousy food, removed this from our list of "do-overs" for 2009. It is really too bad, because it has the potential of being a wonderful eatery in the MK! :(

lockedoutlogic
09-10-2008, 10:48 AM
I would say the food is generally ok... You can get better food elsewhere, but it is a nice place to go once in a while. Of course, I may think that because we went there on our honeymoon, but...it is a beautiful restaurant. DW and I are both a little surprised that the food isn't better.

I agree.....and i don't know if you've noticed....but all the food at magic kingdom is far below the quality of the rest of the property except for the lunch at Liberty Tree....

I truly think they cut corners on ingredients to maximize the revenue from the locations....and can only get away with it in MK....

big blue and hairy
09-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I agree.....and i don't know if you've noticed....but all the food at magic kingdom is far below the quality of the rest of the property except for the lunch at Liberty Tree....

I truly think they cut corners on ingredients to maximize the revenue from the locations....and can only get away with it in MK....
I'm not sure about that, Cosmic Ray's and Columbia House are pretty good, but what I do find odd is some of the inconsistancies. How can the CS food at Everything Pop be so good and the CS at ABC Commissary be just awful? The food down Sunset Blvd isn't bad...

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure about that, Cosmic Ray's and Columbia House are pretty good, but what I do find odd is some of the inconsistancies. How can the CS food at Everything Pop be so good and the CS at ABC Commissary be just awful? The food down Sunset Blvd isn't bad...

I agree about ABC Commissary...it was hands down our worst meal at Disney and the only one so far I wouldn't give another chance.:ack:

lockedoutlogic
09-10-2008, 02:52 PM
I agree about ABC Commissary...it was hands down our worst meal at Disney and the only one so far I wouldn't give another chance.:ack:

the commissary is the worst hands down.....i don't think i've every seen anyone actually enter it for a second time....

it's actually shocking that it's still open after all this time.

In regards to magic kingdom....i was referring to the sitdown locations only....as Tony's, CRT, Crystal Palace have far poorer food quality than any other outside of magic kingdom that i can think of.....and liberty tree is iffy at best.

The food didn't used to be this way.....but things have changed...

I do like harbor house and cosmic ray's though....

brewcrew26
09-11-2008, 07:55 PM
I haven't been to TTS in over ten years. We just added another day to our trip and I'm thinking of adding this one since we'll be at MK that night but would I be better off just doing a counter service like Columbia Harbour House instead? I don't remember my previous experience being bad at Tony's, just wanted other opinions.

KylesMom
09-12-2008, 09:47 AM
I don't remember my previous experience being bad at Tony's, just wanted other opinions.

Even with the hit-or-miss quality of Tony's, I agree with Belle619 - I think that you should give it a try. One of our favorite restaurants in all of Disney gets ripped consistently (Mama Melrose), but two of our top five dining experiences occurred there this past July. You never know - you may love Tony's! :mickey: