PDA

View Full Version : Question for WDW cast members.

disneycutie165
09-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I plan to go to college around WDW, and I just had an idea for a side job, and I need help seeing if it is possible. I would like to work on the "Haunted Mansion" after college hours, because I love the ride and I would love to play that character. When you apply to work at WDW, do you have to work your way up to HM, or can you just get it. Do any CM's know. And if so, have you ever worked on HM and how was it? Thanks again!

joanna71985
09-06-2008, 03:08 PM
I plan to go to college around WDW, and I just had an idea for a side job, and I need help seeing if it is possible. I would like to work on the "Haunted Mansion" after college hours, because I love the ride and I would love to play that character. When you apply to work at WDW, do you have to work your way up to HM, or can you just get it. Do any CM's know. And if so, have you ever worked on HM and how was it? Thanks again!

Anyone can work at HM. It all depends on if they need anymore people there right now.

TheRustyScupper
09-06-2008, 05:03 PM
1) It all depends.
2) Picking a particular attraction can be tough.
. . . 1st - there needs to be openings in Attractions
. . . 2nd - there needs to be an opening at HM
. . . 3rd - you need to be picked for it
. . . 4th - there needs to be no other CM's that want it

WDWdriver
09-06-2008, 10:50 PM
There is no rule against a new hire working at HM. However, you would be placed in line behind any other CMs who may want to transfer to an opening there. In reality, it is not likely that you could work at HM until you had worked at some other attraction first.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-07-2008, 02:37 AM
1) It all depends.
2) Picking a particular attraction can be tough.
. . . 1st - there needs to be openings in Attractions
. . . 2nd - there needs to be an opening at HM
. . . 3rd - you need to be picked for it
. . . 4th - there needs to be no other CM's that want it

Not true. You pick a land, not an attraction. So for HM, she would pick Adventureland/Liberty Square Attractions. Keep in mind, this includes: Tiki Room, Aladdin, Treehouse, (these three are called ATT), Jungle, Pirates, Riverboat, Mansion, and HOP. Even if you get a different attraction in the land, you can be cross-trained in another.

I've seen several new hires get HM over transfers. In fact, it happens a lot. I had at least 5 who were in my class for "Once Upon a Time is Now" and a different group of about 3 or 4 on my check-out date (mine was 2 weeks after the first group, so I know they weren't the same trainees). Transfers are based on attendance, call-ins, and availability. They can be denied by management, or the CM could turn it down. They could have accepted another position before.

doombuggy
09-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I can tell you what happened to me when I transferred down here. I gave Casting my availability (which is Saturday & sunday) and they looked at what was available in Merchantainment that matched that availablilty. Three places had openings for a CR for those days: Candy Cauldron, Cast Connection, and Pooh Corner. I picked Pooh, and was there for about 15 months before transferring to another location in DTD.

We do have local college students who work in our shop, along with some local HS junior and seniors. The nice thing about working at DTD is there are set hours and it's pretty close to I4 - meaning easy to get to - you aren't driving a loooong way into property to get there (one of the reasons I turned down Cast Connection).

mouseketeer mom
09-09-2008, 04:03 PM
How terrific that you all are getting a chance to work at WDW! I would love it! I always say I will work there one day..but my DH works for the State of NJ...his job allows me to stay home with the kids..I wouldn't trade that for anything. By the time they are grown I bet I will be too old for WDW to hire me! Does anyone know if they hire those that are in uh hum, an older age range??? Just wondering for down the road!

Figaro
09-09-2008, 11:08 PM
How terrific that you all are getting a chance to work at WDW! I would love it! I always say I will work there one day..but my DH works for the State of NJ...his job allows me to stay home with the kids..I wouldn't trade that for anything. By the time they are grown I bet I will be too old for WDW to hire me! Does anyone know if they hire those that are in uh hum, an older age range??? Just wondering for down the road!

As a matter of fact, lots of people retire and come to WDW to work and have fun...:mickey: :thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-10-2008, 12:00 AM
you aren't driving a loooong way into property to get there (one of the reasons I turned down Cast Connection).

You can get off at exit 68, take SR 535 and turn left CR 535, and turn left onto Reams and poof! You're at CC. It'd be the same time probably as DTD, if not faster. Or take I-4 to exit 65 and take the 192 road in. Lots of alternate routes to get there. I usually take exit 67 onto World Center Drive and follow that to the MK area. Takes me about 15 minutes from my apartment on Universal Blvd.

buzznwoodysmom
09-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Hey Lisa,

I'll see you there. I always tell my DH that one day when our kids are grown we'll retire and work part time in WDW. He says we'll build a cabin and live part time in Colorado. We'll have to compromise and do both.

joanna71985
09-10-2008, 10:54 AM

I know plenty of older people who work at Disney.:)

MaxPower
09-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Seeing retirees working part time is more and more common.