PDA

View Full Version : Chances of being picked for Jedi Acadamy

Hayden's Dad
09-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I think it would be really cool if Hayden got picked to be a Paadawan for the Jedi Acadamy and I know he would enjoy it, but what are the chances. I have seen pictures of other children in wheelchairs being picked with the help of Mom or Dad so I am not worried about that, but he is only 2 1/2. Is that to young even with my help? Thanks. :yoda::darth:

thumperbug
09-05-2008, 06:49 PM
I have lost count of how many times my son (now 6 1/2) has tried to be picked for Jedi Training. He has been in the front row, on my husbands shoulders, I have even gone up front and tried to flag the guy down...but to no avail.

I think they over look my son because he is on the small size and therefore they think he might be too young to understand what needs to be done.

They tend to do the training quickly and then each child has to do the up, down, now try to get the head off moves and they do that quickly as well, so I think (purely my suspicion) that they try for kids who are maybe slightly older (like 7, 8 & 9) who can learn and perform quickly.

Again, that is just my theory but I have yet to see them ever pick a child that looks under the age of 7. When I say that we have tried countless times, I mean at least 10 (over the last 4 trips).

I would try to get a hold of a CM before the show starts to see if you can get Hayden on up there.

Good luck and have a great trip. We all expect a detailed trip report. :mickey:

TexasPrincessAurora
09-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't know that size would be an issue. When DBIL and his family went in July, my nephew was picked. He is turning 7 in a few weeks and is VERY small. My 4 year old is bigger and taller than he is. However, he is a Star Wars freak and is very loud and vocal and is just a hilarious kid. I'm sure that all helped. It's all random and luck of the draw I'm sure.

I agree...talking to a CM beforehand can't hurt!

SAHDad
09-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I think the next time we at there with DS (who would be almost at the time), I'll get a couple of lightsabers and goof-off with them in front of the stage area while we are waiting for the next show. It can't hurt - especially if he knows all the moves. ;)

I have seen them pick younger kids, but they do seem to be 8-10 usually.

sophie peach
09-06-2008, 08:59 AM
its my sons 11th birthday when we go in 2 weeks, so, i will stick a birthday button on him and see if that works!

green ranger
09-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Would someone please give me information about this Jedi show? My son is becoming a huge Star Wars fan and would love to see something like this. Thanks.

Altair
09-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Would someone please give me information about this Jedi show? My son is becoming a huge Star Wars fan and would love to see something like this. Thanks.

A Jedi Knight puts kids through light saber training. More happens, but I don't want to spoil it.
Have your comcorder handy, because with kids involved anything can happen.:D

Jarrod
09-06-2008, 11:41 AM
This may seem whiney, BUT it would be really nice if they would implement some kind of procedure for getting to participate in the Jedi Training. Maybe a number of tickets that you could wait in line for, etc; so that you know eventually your child will get to participate. We, like one of the above posters, have waited through multiple shows on multiple days because we have 2 boys that are completely obsessed with SW. One of our sons has been picked twice and the other one still has never been picked. We have ( IMHO ) wasted so much valuable park time waiting over and over for this Jedi Training on our past 3 trips, that it has really become annoying. Not to mention the utter despair that my son not picked feels everytime he does not get to do this (especially when his brother gets to do it.) No amount of reasoning seems to work with a SW obsessed child and I personally have been driven to prepare myself for the impending disappointment by making a trip by the Backlot Canteen for a High Octane refreshment in order to dull the pain of hearing my son cry because he has again not been picked for Jedi Training. In short, this attraction is driving me to drink! Hahaha. But really, for something that is this popular, it seems to make sense for them to implement some kind of system that will allow those who are willing to wait for a ticket, etc, the opportunity to participate.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
09-06-2008, 11:43 AM
It is complete luck, my 9 year old has been picked for it both times we watched on two different trips. We didn't do anything special it was just blind luck.

TheRustyScupper
09-06-2008, 05:18 PM
. . . it would be really nice if they would implement some kind of procedure for getting to participate in the Jedi Training. One of our sons has been picked twice and the other one still has never been picked . . .

1) It helps if kids who have done it already would let others have a chance.
2) It also helps if a brother would let his sibling take his slot.
2) There is no good way of determining who gets picked.
3) Every method has its flaws and I can think of major agruments for any method.
4) That is why the process is as it is.

Jarrod
09-06-2008, 06:02 PM
That would be GREAT, but once they pick you, they don't really give any indication that you can make substitutions. Plus, I think that would be rather confusing as they do the selection process very quickly. Most parents with young children will probably understand, as much as a child might want their sibling to get to do it also, the one who is picked wants to do it also. Makes for a tough choice either way. Just a thought. . . .

buzznwoodysmom
09-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I've learned to avoid that area at all costs. We tried to have our guys picked several times during one of our trips. We were always the first ones waiting for it to begin. We put them on dad's back, I tried to get their attention, one of them even wore his star wars costume one day in hopes that it would help. Every time they finished picking all the children we headed out with two very disappointed, and sometimes in tears, little boys. Now I just avoid it all together. I understand that that is just the way they do it, but if you think your little one is going to cry if not picked I'd say just avoid it. I do expect my kids to be disappointed from time to time, that's life, but when in WDW I'd rather avoid it if I can.

Altair
09-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Try to hit the first show of the day. We attended last January and I believe every kid present got on stage.:mickey:

Jarrod
09-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I don't think we have ever been there for the 1st show of the day.. . . . maybe we will try that this time. We have tried avoiding the area, but the Star Tours ride and that store Tattooine Traders are staples for my boys. They don't forget unfortunately.

buzznwoodysmom
09-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't think we have ever been there for the 1st show of the day.. . . . maybe we will try that this time. We have tried avoiding the area, but the Star Tours ride and that store Tattooine Traders are staples for my boys. They don't forget unfortunately.

We always ride Startours too. My boys would disown me if we ever went to DHS and skipped it. And they love to wander around in Tattooine Traders. I just really try to stay away from the stage right next to the ride and when exiting the shop we go in the opposite direction of where the stage is for the jedi training. We've been lucky the past few trips in that the Jedi training wasn't going on while we were waiting in line. On this last trip they were in the middle of a show and my boys both asked about it and I just told them that if they wanted to go to other parks that day that we didn't have time. Surprisingly they agreed. Good luck to all you parent's with little Jedi's. I hope they all get to do the show one day.

Hayden's Dad
09-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I will try and talk to one of the CMs before the show, Can't hurt.

May the force be with us.......