PDA

View Full Version : EPCOT question...

KEDOGN
09-05-2008, 01:51 PM
So I noticed when we got to EPCOT something looked strange to me about the entrance from the last, and only time, I had been there (2005) and it finally hit me. The "EPCOT" and wand with Mickey hand and stars is gone from the "Golf Ball". Can anyone enlighten me as to why? It looks kinda naked without it!

Nascfan
09-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Disney decided it was time for a change and returned it to its normal state. That's the best explanation I can give. Whether the change is for good, bad, or indifferent continues to be debated.

KEDOGN
09-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Hmm, interesting, thanks. To me, and my opinion only, it looks BLAH now... where before it looked MAGICAL :)

Imagineer1981
09-05-2008, 02:36 PM
I have also heard that Siemens the new sponser wanted nothing to do with it, and wanted it removed.

btharvey
09-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Also keep in mind that the monoliths in front of the golfball will be going away some time in the next 5-10 years ... or so they say.

joonyer
09-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Here's some info from another site about the "Mickey Hand & Wand":

"In celebration of the year 2000, a large 25-story "magic wand" held by a representation of Mickey Mouse's hand was built next to the sphere. Inspiration for it came from the Sorcerer's Apprentice sequence of Fantasia (although, oddly enough, Mickey did not use a magic wand in that sequence). At the top of the structure was a large cut out of the number 2000. While the structure wasn't technically meant to be permanent, it is unclear as to how long the structure was to be used. After the Millennium Celebration ended, the structure was left standing. In 2001, the number 2000 was replaced with the word "Epcot" in a script font which differs from the park's logotype. On the morning of July 5, 2007, it was officially announced by Epcot Vice President Jim MacPhee that Spaceship Earth would be restored to its original appearance and that the "magic wand" structure would be removed in time for the park's 25th anniversary on October 1, 2007.

On Monday, July 9, the attraction itself was closed for refurbishment, and the surrounding area was walled off. As of October 1st, the entire wand structure, the stars, and the star supports have been removed. In addition, palm trees and other plants that originally stood where the wand was prior to 2000 have been added to the landscape of Spaceship Earth."

wilshade
09-05-2008, 04:53 PM
All I can say is . . . . . YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Insanity Clause
09-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Oh, I loved the wand. It was one of the more magical looking places. But, seeing as it is ALL magical I will get over it. They better not mess with anything else like the castle.

Stu29573
09-05-2008, 06:06 PM
I, for one, am really glad to see it go. It always struck me as a temporary decoration that overstayed its welcome. Now if they would just get rid of that stupid hat at the studios...:mickey:

Daisy'sMom
09-05-2008, 07:23 PM
I, for one, am really glad to see it go. It always struck me as a temporary decoration that overstayed its welcome. Now if they would just get rid of that stupid hat at the studios...:mickey:

I second that motion! I hate that hat, I hated the wand and I don't like it when they change the castle during certain times. Yuck!

Main Street Jim
09-05-2008, 07:41 PM
It's back to its original glorious exterior. The wand and hand just made it look too cartoonish, in my opinion. I also hate the hat at Studios; it totally took the Chinese Theatre out of the picture - literally. The Pepto Bismol Castle really stunk up the joint. And one more tihng: that new "T-Rex" place at Downtown Disney totally hides the Empress Lilly. It's just a cryin' shame that Disney can't let their icons be icons any more...

sophie peach
09-06-2008, 09:04 AM
time for a change.....

Georgesgirl1
09-06-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm glad it's gone...takes me back to the Epcot of my childhood!:mickey:

ryca1dreams
09-06-2008, 10:42 AM
I really don't mind the hat now at DHS because that is sort of "Hollywood-ish". But, Spaceship Earth is, well, Spaceship Earth. It needed to be pristine, clean, a work of art - like it was meant to be.

brewcrew26
09-06-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm also glad it's gone. It looked weird. I got a twinge of feeling old when I realized there are some guests who've only known SE with the wand on it. But, I think it's going back to its original magic I remember as a kid.

Bass T-bone
09-06-2008, 03:46 PM
It's back to its original glorious exterior. The wand and hand just made it look too cartoonish, in my opinion. I also hate the hat at Studios; it totally took the Chinese Theatre out of the picture - literally. The Pepto Bismol Castle really stunk up the joint. And one more tihng: that new "T-Rex" place at Downtown Disney totally hides the Empress Lilly. It's just a cryin' shame that Disney can't let their icons be icons any more...

I couldn't agree more... :thumbsup:

Sylvia
09-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Main Street Jim

I couldn't agree more... :thumbsup:

------------------------------

:ditto::ditto::ditto:

Bass T-bone
09-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Is there an echo in here, or is it just me? :funny:

Toad
09-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I hated that wand with a passion. It felt so out of place and detracted from the beauty of the SE geosphere. The same could be said about the entrance and track around Test Track, which desecrates the former World of Motion building.

Also they need to either move or get rid of the hat in front of The Great Movie Ride. It amazes me that somebody in the company thought that was a good idea. It's like sticking a hat in front of Cinderella's Castle. There are times where I think Disney has lost all sense of beauty and restraint.

Wickster1970
09-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Part of me will miss that wand...but I am a purist at heart so YAY!...its gone.

NOW....lets work on getting rid of that hat at DHS.:mad:

Maleficent's Dad
09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Jim,
Nicely stated.

Don't you miss that GIANT Hidden Mickey at DHS where the HAT now hides it???

(Sorry that from the OP, I'm quite :offtopic:)

MickeysEars
09-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Our trip in 2007 was the first time we ever saw it naked. It looked weird to me too. Our first trip was in 2000 for our honeymoon and it read 2000, our next trip it was changed to EPCOT.