PDA

View Full Version : What a bum deal!

kakn7294
09-04-2008, 11:00 PM
DD's HS band is going to Disney in March. We're planning to go as well but couldn't get any info from anyone. Well, tonight, she came home with the paperwork for the trip and it seems like a raw deal to me. They will travel by charter bus, stay at the Holiday Inn Maingate East, and have 3 days in the parks for a cost of $630. I calculated it out and at full price at both locations, it would only cost $32.50 more to stay at a Disney Value resort. And by those same calculations, they are being charged about $300 per person for the charter buses which they need to keep on hand for tranportation from this resort to the parks each day. Personally, I'd rather have her pay a bit extra and stay on Disney property. I don't think this TA got them a very good deal!

badkitty
09-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Wow, $630 sounds high for a 3-day trip. Do they get meal $$ with the package? How many kids per room?

Iluvpooh
09-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Wow-Bad price! My Little brother's gifted class went last year and they stayed at 3 nights at POP and it was $480 per person and they had the option of dining plan-extra of course.(They moved the ressies around so those that didn't want it were listed in a room together and those that did were listed in a room together.) I would inquire about making private arrangements.

Iluvpooh
09-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Also remember that if you stay on property there will be no reason to retain the charter bus on a daily basis so that alone will save money.

kakn7294
09-05-2008, 01:21 AM
4 kids per room and no meal plan that I'm aware of although they are planning to eat breakfast at the hotel each morning. They are going during what is peak season at the Disney Values, but I know Disney works with groups for a slight discount on accommodations and tickets. I was expecting something more like $500 at ASMusic.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
09-05-2008, 08:58 AM
That does seem awfully high. The dw and dd are staying at Fort Orleans for the Christmas parade (5 days). DD is about $450 for flight, hotel, tickets, and a meal during rehearsal. I believe the dw is about $600.

biodtl
09-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Many, MANY years ago, my HS band went to Florida, too and spent a couple of days in WDW. And it was the most poorly planned trip, ever. They had us in some rinky-dink hotel, bad meals, bad transportation, etc.

We had a parade in Sea World, so they didn't want to stay in WDW - like that matters. And then they made us drive to Daytona beach for one day, which was terrible.

I think the problem is that the people doing the planning know little about WDW and often assume it's very expensive. So they just decide upfront to stay offsite, when it's actually the same price, or cheaper - and definitely more convenient - to stay on-site.

dephenn
09-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Wow, peak season and no fast pass. I wouldn't bother. At least if they stayed on site they would get Disney transportation and fast pass.

disneymom15
09-05-2008, 09:41 AM
My daughters band went about 3 years ago. We got such a run around from the TA and the school, nobody knew what was going on. My husband and I were going to fly down and meet up with the group. We finally got trip dates from the school so I made our flight ressies, well about a month later all of that changed. We ended up pulling her from the trip and booked her and a friend and they met us at MCO within minutes of our flight. The trip ended up being Sunday to Wednesday (coach bus) The bus broke down twice, heater was stuck on high from Georgia to Florida. The kids had less than half a day at MK, and half a day at epcot, then back on the road by 8pm. Daughter and friend were so happy them didn't participate.

Ian
09-05-2008, 11:08 AM
It's been my experience that school groups often get taken advantage of when booking trips like this.

I think some unscrupulous TA's out there figure the parents will pay anything to get their kids down there, so they jack up the prices and pocket the difference. I've seen this happen a lot with people I know.

Since I go to Disney so much I know what a good deal is, but they don't. I've had parents that I used to work with tell me, "Oh, my kid is going to Disney World and they got a great deal with their school group. Such and such a price blah blah blah." and I've told them, "Uh ... no. You could do much better than that!"

I'm not sure if you have any influence or not, but maybe try re-directing the group planner to Magical Journeys? I can guarantee you 110% they'll get you a cheaper package at a Disney resort.

TheRustyScupper
09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
1) Let's not be too quick to judge.
2) On the surface, the price looks high.
3) But, we do not know the requirements the school might have made.
4) Sometimes, the imposed restrictions can be ridiculous.
5) I would call the school and ask for trip requirements.

NOTE: As for the charter bus, we had to pay for it regardless if whether in use or on stand-by. Some bus companies can use the bus while you are there, but others have no need for the bus, so you pay the bus and driver 100% of the time.

dolphinmickey9170
09-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey Kathy, I would try an contact the TA or the school person in charge and let them know what you came up with. It can't hurt.

kakn7294
09-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey Kathy, I would try an contact the TA or the school person in charge and let them know what you came up with. It can't hurt.I would but they won't tell me who the TA is and I haven't heard who is in charge of the trip yet. I e-mailed the band director last night to ask because I need to speak to someone about Steph having an AP and not needing a ticket but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Tink1
09-05-2008, 04:25 PM
There is a lot more to doing school groups than appears on the surface. Liability insurance to include student groups alone is a fortune (which is the reason we do not do student groups)

There are companies that specialize in student groups. Their services include things like security outside the rooms at night, buses, arrangers etc.

There is a LOT of work in student groups, and a lot of headaches.

Nanci

kakn7294
09-05-2008, 04:43 PM
There is a lot more to doing school groups than appears on the surface. Liability insurance to include student groups alone is a fortune (which is the reason we do not do student groups)

There are companies that specialize in student groups. Their services include things like security outside the rooms at night, buses, arrangers etc.

There is a LOT of work in student groups, and a lot of headaches.

NanciI know. I guess I'm just very disappointed that they are not staying on property and that the price is so high. I think they could have done better. For one thing, they don't have to plan for peak season. We don't have an annual spring break at school so they could schedule it at a different time - it's not like they are beholden to a specific time period. For another, if they would stay on property, they could potentially take advantage of the new Quick Service dining plan - something that I would like my DD to have. I don't think it's such a great deal but I'd like to know in advance that she will be eating and not blowing her food money on souvenirs. I think I would have just appreciated someone listening to my input or even answering my questions rather than just brushing me off or giving me nasty comments in return.

Tink1
09-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Oh, I hear you! My son passed on his senior trip which was air from NE Penna, 5 nights at an AllStar (4 per room) , 4 day hoppers, 3 countersrvice meals and a day pass to Universal to the tune of $1400. Not that he doesn't like Disney, but knew as a regular booking he and his buddies could go for much less.

But again, doing the straight math as to what it would cost you as a solo person is not including all that does go into these trips. You are also abosrbing the cost of the Band Leaders, Chaperones, the bus driver ( room, passes, meals ) and there usually has to be a back up bus driver as well. That all gets added in.

I hate the way they do Student trips with little or no input, but I do understand why. Even doing smaller groups with friends and family no one can ever agree 100% on anything. I learned to plan the trip and THEN tell everyone what we were doing and see if they wanted to come. :funny:

Nanc

MegaDisney
09-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow, peak season and no fast pass. I wouldn't bother. At least if they stayed on site they would get Disney transportation and fast pass.

Did I miss something?

Fastpass is available to all park guests regardless of where they are staying.

Or has that changed?

Beast_fanatic
09-05-2008, 10:45 PM

Fast pass is available to everyone regardless of where they stay. Extra magic hours are only available to on-site guests.

Did I miss something?

Fastpass is available to all park guests regardless of where they are staying.

Or has that changed?

It has not changed.

MaxPower
09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
It seems to me that the Charter Bus Company is making a great profit on this deal.

DisneyAddict62
09-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Kathy, my daughter's band did the same spring trip a couple of years ago (we are about an hour away from you!), and we paid about the same cost. They stayed offsite also. The charter busses are pretty necessary to get 130+ kids from one place to another and be there on time. There is no way they could have relied on Disney transportation. They were pretty strict on the kids being at the meeting places on time.

Our band marched in front of the Spectromagic parade, I really wish I could have been there!

I know they had a breakfast at one of the resorts, but which one escapes me right now, I'm sure I still have her itinerary on this computer somewhere! If you'd like any info, feel free to PM me!