PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi that bad???

Miss Tink 2
09-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I am starting to plan our ADR's for our next trip in May and am wondering why so many people do not recommend the Sci-Fi at dinner time? I ate there quite a few years ago and do not remember it being a horrible meal-What did you not like that was on the menu? I thought it was a unique fun restaurant and that my 2 Grandson's would enjoy it......But, now I'm having some doubts?!

disneygeek84
09-04-2008, 03:05 PM
I think it's just personal opinions of people. I've never had a problem eating there. We're eating lunch there next week, but only because we decided to do mostly TS lunches this trip instead of dinner. But if we were eating TS dinners then I would still have chosen it.

jpH/keD
09-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I think it depends on the ages of your grandsons. We went our first trip thinking way cool! How fun will Sci-Fi be??!! We had dd5 and ds2 The black and white movie clips are on a loop meaning if you sit for longer than 20 minutes it will repeat and my kids were bored to death! Plus there was no sound when we went???? I dont know if that is a regular thing or not.

Also our kids are not much into just sitting and waiting for food. They got up and there were no characters to hold their attention or get them to come back to our seats. And honestly, I have no remembrance of what the food was or even if it was good or not.

Feel free to try it with an open mind but we will not be repeating that one any time soon!

badkitty
09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
I personally like the lunch menu better and it is cheaper. I think the atmosphere is fun!

gwfx1031
09-04-2008, 04:06 PM
This is one we always try to go to but we also only do it at lunch time for the same reasons listed above.

NJGIRL
09-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I just don't get it, we have eaten there at least a half dozen times and never had a bad meal. The theme is a drive in and the food is not exotic (it's not supposed to be) but it's good. We have had full meals there and enjoyed them. People rave about the shakes (which are ok but nothing out of the ordinary IMO) and say not to eat a meal there which I can't understand. But as someone else said everyone has their own opinion (I don't think Le Cellier is that great but people here love it) and you should try it for yourself.

Spindrift
09-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Dining is a very personal experience, take all recommendations and warnings with a grain of salt. What some people love others can't stand. You will usually find that those with negative feelings tend to be more vocal.

If something sounds interesting, try it and find out for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised.

cer
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I understand that people have their own opinion. Here is mine.

We ate there late one evening May 2006 - this was our very first Disney dining experience, by the way. I ordered the steak. I am NOT exaggerating. It did not even taste like meat. It was not just me. My husband tried my steak and thought it was wrong, too. It was late and too late to send it back - so we did not. This was the only inedible meal I have ever had. I guess I am pretty lucky.

My husband's and my kids' food was fine. Unfortunately, I do not remember what they had. I remember that I liked the dessert - some sort of cheesecake thing for the "Happiest Celebration on Earth" and I did get an appetizer which was fine - that was when an appetizer came on the dining plan.

We have not been back there. Too many other places to try. If I were to go back, I'd ask my server what they would recommend and stay away from the steak! :)

I so understand your dilemma. It seems that most restaurants have mixed reviews. Everyone's experience can be completely different based on the food quality and sadly, poor service can ruin a meal for you, too.

AllDisney
09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Everyone's choices of eating places are different, that's why people HAVE choices. Not everyone is going to agree on any one thing, so look at the menu and see if it's right for your family.

We went there our last trip to WDW and we liked it very much.

big blue and hairy
09-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I would also suggest lunch, for a couple of reasons. One the menu is cheaper. The food is not bad, but it is not great. As someone else said, it's a drive-in. Two, get inside out the heat in the middle of the day and relax. Order something simple and a shake either with your meal or for dessert, they are very good.

:sulley:

buzznwoodysmom
09-04-2008, 06:47 PM
We love Sci Fi. We try to do it on every trip, but didn't eat here on our last trip and DH has made it clear that it is a must do on our next trip. We always do lunch. Mainly because we like to make sure we will make it to Fantasmic. We also go around the holidays sometimes and trying to do Fantasmic and the Osborne lights is hard enough without having an ADR to fit in there as well. You can't go wrong with the burgers, best burgers in WDW, in our opinion. DH and I tried something different on our last trip ( I can't remember what we tried) and wished we had just stuck with the burgers. It wasn't bad, just not as good as the burgers. My entire family and extended family (18 people total) all love sci-fi. I think your grandsons will love it and it is definitely worth a try.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
09-04-2008, 07:04 PM
My husband and I are eating there on November 29th and love it!!! We've eaten there many times for dinner and never had a terrible experience. I agree with alot of people responding, you have to try it for yourself to experience the full atmosphere of it all. If you don't try it, you'll never know what it was like. The food is really good and the decor is really neat. Hope you decide on Sci-Fi as a go.

Next trip:November 24th thru December 5th:thumbsup:

MegaDisney
09-04-2008, 11:25 PM
I have eaten there twice for lunch, once as a carnivore and once as a vegetarian and I REALLY enjoyed both times!

I especially enjoyed the shakes with Chambord added!

Belster
09-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I ate there once with my party of 11 and we all loved it so much that we are returning in October. I am looking forward to sharing the experience with my two kids that have yet to have gone.

I also hope you choose the Sci-Fi Diner. :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
09-05-2008, 06:49 AM
DH and I ate there once. The food was pretty good. I had a pasta dish that was very tasty. I don't remember what DH had. He didn't rave about it, but didn't complain either. The atmosphere is really cool. Service was average.

We had one of the car tables, and were surprised at how tiny and cramped they are. I'm only 5'-4", and have a smaller build, DH is 5'-11", average build, and we were still in pretty tight quarters. Hardly had room to put my purse somewhere while we ate.

We would go again, for sure, but only if there's little to no wait. We don't make ADR's for this place because it isn't a must-do for us. We may give it a shot in October.

brownie
09-05-2008, 07:11 AM
It's been a while for us. The food was okay, not fantastic, but the shakes were good.

ChipnDaleGal
09-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Since the Sci Fi always has a line to get in and walk ups are hard to get, I think it is safe to say that in general people enjoy the dining experience there. My daughter would mutiny if we went to WDW and didn't eat there at least once. We prefer the lunch menu, but I wouldn't hesitate to eat dinner there as well. If the theme interests you then I would encourage you to try it. Hopefully your family will enjoy it, but if it isn't your cup of tea then you will have learned something.

Diznee4Me
09-05-2008, 08:25 AM
The DW, DD and I have eaten there several times for lunch and really liked it. As most have said, everyone has there preferences, so try it and then decide for yourself. And yes,the shakes ARE great ! :D

biodtl
09-05-2008, 08:38 AM
We like it. The food is good - nothing to rave about, but good and filling. Our server was very good. And we ranged in ages from 2-47 and everyone enjoyed the atmosphere.

thrillme
09-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Well oddly enough if the food is so bad...there's always a wait to get in.

Personally my son and I really enjoy it. I seem to remeber sound to the movie.

I think all Disney food that I've ever tried is "good" but nothing I "crave" after leaving (other than the dole floats).

I've always had a "pasta" dish and I believe my DS has had the ribs. Both of us were happy with them. I liked my pasta dish but the ribs weren't exactly Texas Roadhouse ribs (fall off the bone type ribs) but my DS liked them.

Hayden's Dad
09-05-2008, 08:50 AM
We love the Sci Fi and try to go there every trip. I think alot of the negativity comes from people expecting exotic and gourmet food, and like another poster said "It's a DRIVE IN" The burgers are great the fries are good and the shakes are good, plus a lot of our fascination comes from the atmosphere the themeing is superb.

Disneyfamilyof3
09-05-2008, 09:06 AM
We went to the Sci Fi Diner,...once.

Actually, I have no recollection of the food, because the waitress lost her hold of the food tray, and three cokes in real glass containers broke all over me! :confused:While I tried to scrub glass and coke off in the bathroom, my husband screamed that he was going to sue. To make a long story short, they paid for lunch, paid for two entirely new changes of clothes at Keystone Clothier (one for my husband, to shut him up), and new shoes for me. We also got tickets to play, "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" :D

My husband and son hated the food, btw :sick: I loved my new clothes from Keystone, but hated the fact that I had to walk around all day in coke drenched underwear!:mad:

Tinkerbella16
09-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Ate there twice, and didn't like it both times. Only went back the second time bc we were on the dining plan and thought it would be good for our little cousins. The dinner menu is horrible, and the food wasn't great either. The one thing I did like was the atmosphere, and the spinach artichoke dip...yum!

Don't think we will be returning there though.

BlueDorrie
09-05-2008, 11:24 AM
DH and I only been to Sci Fi once and we were very underwhelmed by the food. The film loops were cool for the first couple of times but it can get on your nerves after the twentieth time. Also, the "booths" are pretty tight fitting. I usually fit okay but my husband is a big guy and he was very uncomfortable.

lockedoutlogic
09-05-2008, 12:11 PM
The disney restaurants have undergone somekind of official "streamlining" over the last 10 years or so.....the menus in all sitdown locations seem to mirror each other very closely.....salmon, chicken, steak....yadayadayada....creme brulee, cheesecake.....yadayadayada

maybe a "specialty item here or there...or one a little something else....

the other thing i've noticed they've taken away is the middle priced sitdown. Sci-fi used to be one......a few...like boatrights and olivia's (at lunch) and the plaza still float out there every now and then...

Sci-Fi used to be in that category....a fun atmosphere where the menu was predominantly upscale sandwiches....fries...onion rings......fun food of a higher caliber than the fast food places....

well...they messed it up. and while still an ok place....it used to be a better overall experience.

disney repeatedly violates the old mandate that starts with "If it ain't broke....."

Disney Doll
09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Here's my advice, take it or leave it.

It's a fun restaurant with a cool atmosphere. You go there mainly for the unique experience not for exceptional food. It is a drive in so stick to what drive ins do best and order a sandwich or a burger. No matter where I go I am leery of restaurants that have too much variety. Order a pasta dish from an Italian place and order steak from a steak place. The foods isn't anything special, but it's not bad (at least my burger wasn't bad). Order something simple and enjoy the atmosphere.

johnsouthjersey
09-05-2008, 02:48 PM
We've had lunch there 3 out of last 4 trips. My Kids menu contingent rates Sci Fi: DD (12) "very good" DS (10) "good". My reuben sandwich and DW's burger were also good. I think of Sci Fi as Counter Service food in a Table Service setting. Simple, consistent, and rated good 3 out of 3 trips by 4 out of 4 in our family. We go for the drive-in movie ambiance. As long as you keep culinary expectations reasonably in check, you may enjoy the food and the experience too.

andreallybadeggs
09-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I just don't get it, we have eaten there at least a half dozen times and never had a bad meal. The theme is a drive in and the food is not exotic (it's not supposed to be) but it's good. We have had full meals there and enjoyed them. People rave about the shakes (which are ok but nothing out of the ordinary IMO) and say not to eat a meal there which I can't understand. But as someone else said everyone has their own opinion (I don't think Le Cellier is that great but people here love it) and you should try it for yourself.

Hmm...could this southern gal have been separated at birth from NJGirl?
I think she's right on track because our family...
really likes the food (don't think we've ever
had a shake there but they looked good)...
really enjoys the atmosphere and...
really agrees Le Cellier is over-rated.

Different strokes for different folks.

FUN
09-07-2008, 08:20 PM
i love it and going in november but trying dinner their this time.

Miss Tink 2
09-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions and opinions everyone!!! I think we will go ahead and get the ADR for dinner and hope for the best!!!!:thumbsup:

Roo Girl
09-08-2008, 01:42 PM
DH and I plan Sci-Fi as a must have ADR each and every trip- maybe its the nostalgia and our great memories there or something...My opinion: you are 95% paying for the ambiance- where else can you be transformed to a retro drive-in just by turning around a wall (into the seating area)? I'm the first to admit the food is meh but in a way, what gourmet meal would you get at an authentic drive-in? It's not top of the line fare and I guess I get that, so I don't go in with these grand expectations. Maybe going there for lunch is the best compromise. I absolutely adore Sci-Fi and it goes above and beyond in theming which is why I adore WDW so much.

MauiMouse
09-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Sci Fi wasn't my cup of tea so to speak, but they did have a good appetizer that I wouldn't mind having again. I wasn't very hungry and maybe that was part of the problem when we ate here.

pamickeys
09-09-2008, 01:15 PM
it's no Brown Derby, that's for sure , but at the Brown Derby you don't get to sit in cars and watch a movie either.

Cookie123
09-09-2008, 01:41 PM
This place is my most favorite restaurant in all of WDW ! I prefer simple foods, anyway.
I have eaten there at least 9 times over the years, and I've always been satisfied with the food. Only one time I was there for dinner. I was still able to get a burger, even though it was not actually on the menu, and a baked potato. The last few trips I ate there solo, and I also feel it is perfect for a solo. I absolutely adore the theme, and it makes me feel nostalgic for the drive in movies of the 1950's.

And by the way ..... I thought the loop of movie trailers was 45 minutes long ?!?! I have the loop of trailers on an audio cassette tape that I taped the last time I was there, and it doesn't repeat until almost 45 minutes.

Disdude
09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
We enjoy it. It is the only place my wife ever requests when we go. I suggest trying it once and making your mind up for yourself.

Marker
09-10-2008, 01:25 PM
I'll be trying Sci-Fi for the first time next week, Monday (9/15) at 4:50 to be precise. I'll let you know what I think after I try it.

MaxPower
09-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Definitely go for the atmosphere- Not the food. I remember the desserts being very good though

mouseketeer mom
09-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I don't get what everybody doesn't like either. I think its unique and fun. Sure, its not gourmet, but its still fun, good food.
We went the first time when my kids were little, and they were terrified of the movies!
The only other negative I can think of is that we are a family of 5. We had a car. My girls sat in the front, my son and DH in the middle, and I was in the back eating by myself like an orphan. When we go out to eat, I like to be able to see and talk with my family!

joonyer
09-10-2008, 05:39 PM
We have been there several times and always enjoyed it. We always get burgers or the Reuben sandwich, onion ings and milkshakes, and they have always been very good. We have not tried the other items on the menu though. But we have always had a good experience there and will go back again.

dolphinmickey9170
09-10-2008, 06:03 PM
They have great food at both lunch and dinner. We highly recommend the ribs! The butcher steak was really good too. Tender, flavorful, just delicious. And the potatoes that come with it are so good.

I do like the burger at lunch, with BBQ sauce they use for the ribs. YUMMY!!

The atmosphere is really cool too!

Oh, may I recommend the Space Monkey - chocolate shake, Malibu rum, and banana liqueur!

poohbearkris
09-10-2008, 11:50 PM
I think the food is average overall, but better than average for other park restaurants. The atmosphere is fun and DS loved sitting in the car to eat. We went knowing that a lot of people do not care for it, but we are planning on going back again in October.

lightyearfan
09-11-2008, 12:50 AM
i guess that me and dw are in agreement with allot of other posters, and that is we've been to the Sci-Fi on our last 4 trips and we haven't had a bad meal yet, and they were all dinner.

Victor

GrmGrninGost
09-11-2008, 05:39 AM
My family has eaten there only once. I have to say I liked the atmosphere and the service was pretty good. However, on this one visit, the food was bad enough that DW and myself have vowed to never set foot in the place again. :ack: Maybe we hit them on a bad night. I don't know. But everything we ordered was awful. Sci-Fi is the only WDW restaurant I've had this experience with.

moe513
09-11-2008, 03:53 PM
We love it there for lunch. Its very fun. The food is similiar to a FRidays or Chilis.

big blue and hairy
09-11-2008, 05:21 PM
It would be interesting, although maybe not conclusive, to know what the folks that like Sci-Fi ordered, and what the folks that hated it ordered. Maybe there is something that should be avoided on the menu, as opposed to the whole place.

:sulley:

TINKinTX
09-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Well, I am glad I did it once just for the atmosphere. It was unlike anything I had seen before and that made it good. I have a great picture of my husband and I in the car! The car was cramped yes but doable. The problem with our experience is that the service was horrible (that could have just been a bad day) but our biggest issue was we just ordered simple burgers and they were horrible. I eat anything....McDonalds hamburgers included....and this was bad. Haven't had anything else on the menu. My suggestion is to try it once for lunch and see what you think......just maybe don't get the burger and don't expect too much. The atmosphere is fun.:mickey:

A Big Kid
09-16-2008, 08:18 AM
The atmosphere was fun. The food was good. The seating was horrible! At 5'5" and 150 pounds, I had a difficult time fitting the "car."

mac badger
09-16-2008, 02:55 PM
i just had lunch at sci fi 2 days ago. it was probably our 4th time having lunch there (never had dinner) i love the atmosphere, there is nothing else like it. shockingly, my husband and i have seen at least half of those awful movies they show the trailers from.
the film loop is definitely 45 minutes, not 20 minutes as someone said. we have times it more than once.
dh had the turkey sandwich which was really good. i had the beef and bleu salad, which i wouldnt get again. it was only allright, ive had much better salads elsewhere. we also split the apple tart with ice cream for desert and it was really outstanding, i highly recommend it