PDA

View Full Version : No Choice For Diabetics

PETE FROM NYC
09-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Please pardon me, but this is a gripe, not a question.
My DW and I are both diabetics, 20 yrs for me, her only recently.
We have visited WDW many times, along with visiting many other places.
It would be great if we were able to purchase diet sodas besides colas.Everyone else can choose from many flavors, but wherever we go its strictly diet cola.
The only choice we have is take it or leave it.
One of the first things I usually do when arriving in Florida, is to hit a 7-11 to buy a cheap cooler and some flavored sodas so at least when we get back to our room at night,we can have a non-cola.

Is it just us, or do other diabetics have similar feelings?

Strmchsr
09-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Pete, what we've been doing for my DS who is a type-1 diabetic is bringing a long those little water flavoring packets. Sure, I wish WDW had more options, but I don't see that happening so we've found this a good way to get him something tasty to drink without getting a soda.

PETE FROM NYC
09-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the comeback ,Chris.
We also carry those to-go type packets,but sometimes I just need the bubbles in soda to quench my thirst.I am just sick and tired of colas.
The Pepsi and Coke companies do not rule the world,even if they think they do.

Puppy Mom
09-02-2008, 05:59 PM
It isn't Pepsi and Coke that are at fault. Both of those companies have non-cola diet drinks.

The fault lies in what WDW choses to carry.

SFTrny
09-02-2008, 06:17 PM
What percentage of Disney attendees are diabetic?

badkitty
09-02-2008, 09:10 PM
but sometimes I just need the bubbles in soda to quench my thirst.

I know exactly what you mean! It is not a great alternative, but my dad and I ask for club soda to get our "bubble" fix. Most soda machines can bypass the sugar mixture to give you the bubbles. It is a cheaper version of sparkling water.

rt207
09-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I agree, but, unfortunately, I run into this issue almost everywhere. Once in a while I'll get surprised somewhere that carries something other than a cola. At Disney I bring a 20 oz Diet Mt. Dew to the park to start my day....

Puppy Mom
09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
What percentage of Disney attendees are diabetic?

I am diabetic. I think you would be surprised how many people are.

SFTrny
09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't know if I would be or not. My grandfather was diabetic. The question wasn't meant to challenge, but a real question. What percentage of attendees are diabetic?

We certainly don't expect Disney to respond to every single possible sensitivity that can possibly ever be found. So...we should look to the ones that are large enough and offer assitance in addressing the issue.

If there is a significant enough percentage, then we are at a starting point for getting attention and making some concrete changes.

If we aren't interested in advocating change...well then, we are just making noise aren't we?

peemagg
09-02-2008, 10:19 PM
I think your question is a good one, but very hard for anyone to get a real number for. A lot of people are diabetic and no one knows except the families. It is one of those unseen disabilities, for lack of a better phrase.

I do think that if you feel that strongly about it, how about writing Disney about it? Maybe it is something that the powers that be have not even thought of. You might be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

wendy*darling
09-02-2008, 10:40 PM
And this is an issue for more people than diabetics.
Anyone on a sugar-free diet has the same limited choices.
I, for one, do not drink colas in any form- diet or not. I love Fresca- which happens to be a Coke product. But I can't find it anywhere in WDW, or anywhere except my supermarket.
I also like Dr Pepper. It's sort of like a cola, but definitely very different. Also a Coke product- but not offered at WDW.

Coke has many sugar free options, but WDW chooses to only offer Diet Coke.
So, you are not alone- there are many of us wishing for more options than Diet Coke or water.

I totally agree about being the squeaky wheel. Write to Disney and express your opinion, and I will do the same.

rt207
09-02-2008, 10:50 PM
And this is an issue for more people than diabetics.
Anyone on a sugar-free diet has the same limited choices.

I was just coming back to say the same thing. There are many people who drink/eat sugar-free which have nothing to do with being a diabetic...I see so many more choices through the years (I've been a diabetic for almost 35 years) than there used to be in supermarkets for dessert-type items. I guess that is why I'm always so surprised by the limited choices of sugar-free drinks almost everywhere.

When my family owned a sub shop, we had many different flavors of sugar-free sodas/drinks (basically because I did the ordering) and they all sold very well. I think if more choices were offered, they would sell...I just don't get it because it's not a big deal to throw a different tank on the tap.

Beast_fanatic
09-02-2008, 11:08 PM
I also like Dr Pepper. It's sort of like a cola, but definitely very different. Also a Coke product- but not offered at WDW.

Dr. Pepper is not actually a Coke product. It is marketed in some areas by Coke (and in some areas by Pepsi), but it is actually it's own brand (Dr. Pepper Snapple these days).

And, as far as sugar free alternatives, I do drink Diet Coke, but I try to avoid caffeine, and caffeine free Diet Coke is relatively scarce on Disney property as well - it's available, but you have to look for it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Although I am not diabetic, I do watch my sugar intake, and I agree 100% that most places (WDW included) do not have enough sugar-free drink options!

I love Fresca, and only tolerate Diet Coke, since it is so often the only choice available.

I'm hoping that since more restaurants (at least up here) are starting to carry Fresca, and light lemonade (also at Disney) that we might see some more choice!

luvdiznee
09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
I tell my DD who is a diabetic that water is her best friend. :twocents:But I certainly understand the needing the bubble part, because I would love to enjoy some real soda while at WDW...such as Pepsi! :cloud9:

tim5055
09-03-2008, 11:16 AM
What percentage of Disney attendees are diabetic?From the National Institute of Health:

Prevalence of Diagnosed and Undiagnosed Diabetes among People Aged 20 Years or Older, United States, 2007
Age 20 years or older: 23.5 million, or 10.7 percent, of all people in this age group have diabetes.

Age 60 years or older: 12.2 million, or 23.1 percent, of all people in this age group have diabetes.

Men: 12.0 million, or 11.2 percent, of all men aged 20 years or older have diabetes.

Women: 11.5 million, or 10.2 percent, of all women aged 20 years or older have diabetes.

Non-Hispanic whites: 14.9 million, or 9.8 percent, of all non-Hispanic whites aged 20 years or older have diabetes.

Non-Hispanic blacks: 3.7 million, or 14.7 percent, of all non-Hispanic blacks aged 20 years or older have diabetes.

SFTrny
09-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Good stats...I looked up the same page. So..they aren't reporting on people under 20, which is a large segment of the Disney customer base. Between 20 and 39, we have 2.6% of the population, and from 40 to 59 we have 10.8%.

For each age sector, we apply that to the percent of people who attend Disney resorts. Then we get a picture of what percent of Disney attendees are affected by this....and maybe have a case to put forward.

disneygeek84
09-03-2008, 08:17 PM
I've been type 1 diabetic for 15 years, and I have to agree that there are more options out there than there used to be. Some fast food and sit down restaurants are catching on and offer a couple of different choices as far as diet soda is concerned. And I hate to say it, but I don't think it's because of diabetics. I think it's because the world caught onto how bad sugar is, and how bad it especially is in colas (My dad stopped drinking regular cokes and dropped 10lbs). I think we should make a little noise as far as Disney is concerned though. Obviously they're sponsored by Coke-a-Cola, but even Coke has more options than just Diet Coke. What about Diet Sprite? Or even Coke Zero? I would love to be able to get a Diet Sprite instead of a Diet Coke while I'm there (i do usually bring my own Diet Dr Pepper whenever we drive because I really don't care for Diet Coke very much).

disneygeek84
09-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Good stats...I looked up the same page. So..they aren't reporting on people under 20, which is a large segment of the Disney customer base. Between 20 and 39, we have 2.6% of the population, and from 40 to 59 we have 10.8%.

Yeah, does that mean that this only Type 2? Or are they accounting Type 1 as well? Because I'm 24 now and am Type 1, but I was diagnosed at age 8. If they had stats for people under 20, that would give more percentage and present an even better case.

Jodi
09-03-2008, 08:34 PM
I will start off by saying that both my DH and DD are diabetic. We just got back from WDW on Sunday and if you are keen enough to spot it, the store at the exit of Space Mountain does sell Sprite Zero. My husband made sure he got his bubbly at that store more than once. We too, carry the powder packets, Propel, this year, which is probably much better for them than soda. Yes, it should be more readily available, but, it is there.

SFTrny
09-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Actually, they do have mention of this, just not in the aggregate data or charts. 0.2% of all people in the "under 20" age group have diabetes. This includes Type 1 and Type2.

I'd post the link here if I could, but since links aren't allowed...

Try a Google search for "National Diabetes Statistics, 2007" and "NIH".

Great info here.

ToraTory
09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Howdy,

My problem with only having diet coke/pepsi as a choice is that 95% of the time it is the caffinated variety. On top of being diabetic I have a heart condition inwhich caffine is a huge no/no. I generally have to drink bottled water the entire trip. I wish diet sprite was an option. At the all stars food courts I can find a caffine free diet option but not at the sit down or counter service food places any place else :(

mulderxcoltrane
09-08-2008, 07:22 PM
It's not just a problem at Disney, it's a problem everywhere. There are very few places where you can get a drink(other than Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi) that is both sugar-free and caffeine free. My husband is diabetic and I avoid sugar drinks also, so we always drink diet, but get a little tired of diet cola. When I was pregnant, I wanted caffeine-free as well and could rarely find both. You can find Sprite or root beer, but they are only caffeine-free, not sugar-free. I am glad Disney has the light lemonade now- not as good as I would like, but at least it's a fairly healthy option.(no bubbles, though!)

MegaDisney
09-08-2008, 08:44 PM
We also carry those to-go type packets,but sometimes I just need the bubbles in soda to quench my thirst.

You can add the packets to club soda (available at most fountain locations) or a sparkling water for a fizzy diet drink, I do this all the time!

PETE FROM NYC
09-12-2008, 05:55 PM
WOW!!
I did not expect so many replies to this thread.Its nice to see that I am not alone in this.
I recently read ,in Prevention Magazine ,I think, that colas, both diet and regular,have been linked to kidney problems down the road,so now I have another reason to shun colas.
At least there are many more sugar free products in stores now than when I first became diabetic,but ,too many of them are a bot too sweet for my taste.
Also , too many of the restaurant chains do not carry any sugar free desserts.This prompts me to go on their websites and complain.Now I intend to go to the Disney website and voice my displeasure about soda selection.

DIABETICS OF THE WORLD UNITE

PETE FROM NYC
10-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Shortly after my last post here on 9/12,I did e-mail WDW about my displeasure of their lack of selection of sugar-free and caffeine free drinks.As of this date,I have not received any reply.Maybe this just takes time considering the thousands of e-mails they probably get each day.If ,and when,I do receive an answer,I will post about it here.
As a side note,yesterday,while on a road trip,we stopped for lunch at an ARBYs, and they did have several diet options:unsweetened iced tea,sugar free lemonade,and diet Dr.Pepper.

PETE FROM NYC
10-03-2008, 01:17 PM
The afternoon of my last post I did get a response fron WDW on my voice mail.It was from Darin or Derin,could not make it out.
He said the powers that be are looking into the matter of offering other diet options but he was non-committal.He did mention lemonade light.
We shall see what happens in the future.
Perhaps if many more fellow diabetics would also tell the WDW people ,something may be done sooner.
DIABETICS UNITE!!

Johnno52
10-03-2008, 04:32 PM
My DW and I are both type 2 and we look for the diet pops. Most resort re-fill fountains only have Diet Coke however we have found some with Fresca (ASMovies and AKL). As we are from Canada my DW (heart condition) swears the US Diet Coke makes her heart race and has to limit her amounts. Now we look for caffeine free when buying in the US however at WDW it is not offered in the parks or restaurants. Another small problem to worry about is that Fresca is made from grapefruits and many people who use Lipitor (for high cholesterol) are told not to drink grapefruit juice. :confused:

casey@bat
10-03-2008, 04:53 PM
As we are from Canada my DW (heart condition) swears the US Diet Coke makes her heart race and has to limit her amounts. Now we look for caffeine free when buying in the US . :confused:

I know the FDA guidelines are different for the USA than they are in Europe for corn syrup. European countries won't except any products that contain it. And it is in almost everything you buy in the US. So, they probably add more caffeine to get us Americans evern more addicted and our guidelines allow them to!

I think the artificial sweeteners are bad for you too and we just haven't heard a lot about it yet, or enough to convince the FDA to ban them. There are soft drinks made from cane juice but they are hard to find. I don't know how this would affect diabetics.

I would encourage everyone to drink water! :thumbsup:But that being said, my DH drinks Sprite all the time! So if I can't convince him........:(

Good luck! It will be interesting to hear if they change anything.

Johnno52
10-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks Pete, if lemon lite is unsweetened then it will work good for us. WDW must realize that many people drink diet pop not just for losing weight, but for health reasons also. I'm sure we get that at the Boardwalk bakery but not at the Allstars.

luvdiznee
10-04-2008, 07:25 PM
We were relieved to find diet sprite. :mickey:

ElenitaB
10-04-2008, 08:21 PM
The light lemonade that is served at WDW is made by Minute Maid. It has 5 calories, 2 g of carbs and 0 g of sugar per 12 oz serving.

disneydeb
10-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Ellen is that a Cubs insignia on your cruise ship?

The hot chocolate in the parks and food court is really lack luster and heavy on the sugar, so when we go in December, I will take my hot pot and my envelopes of sugar-free hot chocolate.:thumbsup:

disneylovinmom
10-30-2008, 11:08 PM
A larger percent of the population is diabetic than you would think. The rate for diabetics has doubled in the last 10 years. This does not include the people who are becoming glucose intolerant and who do not have full blown diabetes. My husband has been a diabetic for almost 2 years now and it is tough to find a variety of anything that he can have. Hopefully this will be brought to the attention of Disney and other parks and they will start to offer other choices for drink and food alike. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I know I would enjoy more choices than cola or water and I am not diabetic.

thumperbug
10-31-2008, 09:17 AM
That lite lemonade to me is......gross.

I generally use the little flavor packets added to water. I am a type 1 diabetic and granted our choices are less then non diabetics but I've learned to live with what choices are available and be glad there are choices. :mickey: